Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,384 members, 7,819,393 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:29 PM

ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers (31647 Views)

Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities / Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers by 3general: 12:46pm On Nov 30, 2013
Oga treasurer,no resume o...na wen oga VC give me ur job naem u go knw wots up!
Re: ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers by gbengadada2004(m): 1:26pm On Nov 30, 2013
Sincerely, I don't think threatening ASUU to go back to class (without any concrete and documented agreement) is a rational thing to do. Nigerian leaders are shameless. Primary schools in some other countries are better than the best Nigerian university. I spent my first few months abroad weeping. I was asking God and myself: ''why is Nigeria like this''? Nigerian students sit on benches (some don't even have seats) including where I lecture. Many lecturers do not have office blocks. I have never used power point to teach in Nigeria (because there is no facility to carry it). Researches are not funded. Lecturers are paid peanuts. I told someone my salary and he was surprised. Lecturers earn over £4000 monthly (1millon naira) in the UK. They have grants (some over £1million in 2 years) to conduct research. They have access to world-class journals free, textbooks and other teaching materials. Many teach just one or two courses (I was teaching 8 in a week). Many of the people that kept Nigeria where it is today have their children abroad, and these children are sponsored with stolen wealth (I know how many are in my school). Sometimes I wonder if Nigerian political actors have conscience at all.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers by wesley80(m): 8:54pm On Nov 30, 2013
prof.femi:

Hmm, don't be so sure.

Fact is, FG has messed up on this big time. I am definitely for calling off the strike (I have been for a long time). However, Wike is nudging me in the other direction. When the committee of pro-chancellors instructed last week that universities be opened, I was sure I would start lectures from Day 1. But...why Wike/FG felt the need to roil the waters of this issue the way they have, I haven't the foggiest idea.

Although I am a lecturer, I have to say that both FG and ASUU have, at different times, acted stupidly over this strike issue. Most recently, I think ASUU has not shown the proper respect for the Office of the President (forget whether it is GEJ or not). Hence, I was in a queer situation of not knowing which of the two combatants I was angriest with.

Wike has however made my choice easier. I do not respond well to threats. Not when I am 1000% certain of the value I bring to the table. This is not about whether I can be replaced (or how long it will take the system to do so). It is about whether I have options if GEJ sacks me. Believe me brother, I have many options, almost *all* of them better than my current job (or my current country).

Fact is, ignore all the rubbish Wike said about new demands. I kept quiet till I found out exactly what ASUU requested (not demanded) for, and there is NOTHING there that a sincere government should find so difficult to do. I am left with only two plausible explanations: (a) GEJ feels disrespected, and wants to wield the big stick. This would be somewhat understandable, but surprising, given that we are so close to resolving the issue (b) FG has not been sincere all along. After all, if they promised to inject 200B this year, and we are already 3 weeks to the effective end of the year...

I am not totally sure I will refuse to resume; however I can assure you 1000% that if I do, Wike's threat will not be the reason. In fact, his threat is the only reason why I am likely not to resume work.

So I say: Wike, bring it on (and to my students: sorry we live in a shitty country).

Re: ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers by wesley80(m): 8:55pm On Nov 30, 2013
prof.femi:

Hmm, don't be so sure.

Fact is, FG has messed up on this big time. I am definitely for calling off the strike (I have been for a long time). However, Wike is nudging me in the other direction. When the committee of pro-chancellors instructed last week that universities be opened, I was sure I would start lectures from Day 1. But...why Wike/FG felt the need to roil the waters of this issue the way they have, I haven't the foggiest idea.

Although I am a lecturer, I have to say that both FG and ASUU have, at different times, acted stupidly over this strike issue. Most recently, I think ASUU has not shown the proper respect for the Office of the President (forget whether it is GEJ or not). Hence, I was in a queer situation of not knowing which of the two combatants I was angriest with.

Wike has however made my choice easier. I do not respond well to threats. Not when I am 1000% certain of the value I bring to the table. This is not about whether I can be replaced (or how long it will take the system to do so). It is about whether I have options if GEJ sacks me. Believe me brother, I have many options, almost *all* of them better than my current job (or my current country).

Fact is, ignore all the rubbish Wike said about new demands. I kept quiet till I found out exactly what ASUU requested (not demanded) for, and there is NOTHING there that a sincere government should find so difficult to do. I am left with only two plausible explanations: (a) GEJ feels disrespected, and wants to wield the big stick. This would be somewhat understandable, but surprising, given that we are so close to resolving the issue (b) FG has not been sincere all along. After all, if they promised to inject 200B this year, and we are already 3 weeks to the effective end of the year...

I am not totally sure I will refuse to resume; however I can assure you 1000% that if I do, Wike's threat will not be the reason. In fact, his threat is the only reason why I am likely not to resume work.

So I say: Wike, bring it on (and to my students: sorry we live in a shitty country).

With due respect, Nigeria is the "shitty" country it is because of folks like you. No matter how good you think or know you are, your knowledge is of no use to the country if you wont stand up for what's right and just. With due respect once again, Nigeria would be better of if the whole bunch of ASUU supporters left her alone!
Re: ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers by wesley80(m): 9:00pm On Nov 30, 2013
gbengadada2004: Sincerely, I don't think threatening ASUU to go back to class (without any concrete and documented agreement) is a rational thing to do. Nigerian leaders are shameless. Primary schools in some other countries are better than the best Nigerian university. I spent my first few months abroad weeping. I was asking God and myself: ''why is Nigeria like this''? Nigerian students sit on benches (some don't even have seats) including where I lecture. Many lecturers do not have office blocks. I have never used power point to teach in Nigeria (because there is no facility to carry it). Researches are not funded. Lecturers are paid peanuts. I told someone my salary and he was surprised. Lecturers earn over £4000 monthly (1millon naira) in the UK. They have grants (some over £1million in 2 years) to conduct research. They have access to world-class journals free, textbooks and other teaching materials. Many teach just one or two courses (I was teaching 8 in a week). Many of the people that kept Nigeria where it is today have their children abroad, and these children are sponsored with stolen wealth (I know how many are in my school). Sometimes I wonder if Nigerian political actors have conscience at all.
Stop appealing to sentiments. What is (are) your solution to the problems you've identified? Its easy to point at flaws like ASUU have been doing for months now, but the real test of intellect lies in prescribed solutions which is where ASUU and most of you keep goofing.
Re: ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers by otokx(m): 9:10pm On Nov 30, 2013
December 4 ko, December 4 ni, God is great.
Re: ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers by Olril18(m): 10:02pm On Nov 30, 2013
prof.femi:

Hmm, don't be so sure.

u are a rubbish,just like ur fellow and most nigerian lecturers ......u guys(lecturers)are full of corruption..even much more dan d government u.are fighting....how can lecturers in d name of fighting for students kerp us at home for five solid months and be comfortable about it...im baffled cos it is a total joke... .u are just a foolishly biased lecturer..

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Maritime Academy Of Nigeria Oron Registeration / Idogbo Secondary Students Edo Destroy School Properties, Attack Principal, Polic / Ochuwa Momoh George Completes Her PhD With 5.0 CPGA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.