Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,598 members, 7,809,168 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:39 AM

Governor Ameachi Dissolves Obio-akpor Council - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governor Ameachi Dissolves Obio-akpor Council (872 Views)

Explain Why Gov Ameachi Is Not Clapping In This Picture(photo) / BREAKING NEW; Governor Ameachi Walked Out On INEC Officers,refused to b Accredit / Court Reinstate Obio/akpor Council Chairman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Governor Ameachi Dissolves Obio-akpor Council by okazuu(m): 12:07am On Nov 29, 2013
Governor Amaechi dissolves Obio-Akpor council

*What do you make of this development?

Rivers State Governor, Chibuike Amaechi has dissolved the Obio-Akpor Local Government Council. A statement from the secretary to the state government, George Feyii said the dissolution takes effect from today Thursday November 28, 2013. The statement said the governor exercised the powers conferred on him by the Rivers State Local Government Law 2012. The
statement urged the chairman of Obio-Akpor, Timothy Nsirim to handover all documents of the council to the head of personnel management immediately. SOURCE: Nigeria info 92.3 PH
Re: Governor Ameachi Dissolves Obio-akpor Council by oieda: 1:01am On Nov 29, 2013
okay...?
Re: Governor Ameachi Dissolves Obio-akpor Council by Sunnybobo3(m): 1:07am On Nov 29, 2013
So because the court reinstated the chairman, Amaechi now goes ahead to dissolve the council.

Where are the APC (widow must die party) e-rats who were accusing GEJ of high handedness in dealing with Amaechi?

3 Likes

Re: Governor Ameachi Dissolves Obio-akpor Council by manny4life(m): 1:10am On Nov 29, 2013
Seriously, the Supreme Court need to revise their judgement on the LG being part of the State govt, can you imagine the impunity. Why should a governor have the sole powers (without state legislative) dissolve a LG? If I were the LG Chairman, I would get a court to stop his actions, in fact, resist such nonsense, it's about time LG become autonomous. This will check some governors who believe they have superior authority.

1 Like

Re: Governor Ameachi Dissolves Obio-akpor Council by naija2dabone(m): 1:20am On Nov 29, 2013
see why the almajiri peoples party opposed LG autonomy?

And this is a man who want to be our vice president!

APC........nigeria is too decent for these rogues

1 Like

Re: Governor Ameachi Dissolves Obio-akpor Council by ilebaami: 5:35pm On Nov 29, 2013
APC, the party of name changers and hypocrites. Can you see your darling Amaechi on rampage. Tinubu and his followers can only control Amaechi by running mad.
Re: Governor Ameachi Dissolves Obio-akpor Council by icon8: 7:39pm On Nov 29, 2013
Thought PDP suspended Oyinlola as a member of the party just a day after the court ordered his reinstatement as the party's scribe? A case of tit for tat, an eye for an eye!

1 Like

Re: Governor Ameachi Dissolves Obio-akpor Council by naptu2: 7:50pm On Nov 29, 2013
I suspected that this might happen. The court ruled that the state assembly did not have the powers to suspend the council. It ruled that only the governor has such powers.

However, I think that it's crazy that a state governor can single handedly suspend an elected local government council. This is one of the things that we need to amend in the constitution.
Re: Governor Ameachi Dissolves Obio-akpor Council by MaziOmenuko: 8:25pm On Nov 29, 2013
I love this!

They cried foul when the state house of assembly dissolved the council; now the governor, who the legislation gave the sole right of dissolution has acted in his capacity.

I still want to see what you guys believe the presidency can do to frustrate an incumbent governor. A governor is like a president in his own state. We all saw the ouk/obj saga; the tinubu vs obj saga; an incumbent governor has power; this is what a lot of folks fail to understand.

Politics is not played in Abuja but at the grassroots!

(1) (Reply)

World Leaders Praise Nigeria On $1tr Global Trade Deal / Obasanjo’s Letter Exposes Nigerian Newspapers Ethical Flaws / Nigerians Discuss Ex-governor Alao Akala On Facebook

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.