Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,772 members, 7,817,147 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:07 AM

Suggestion To Moderators On BANNING! *fellow Nlanders Wat Do U Think* - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Suggestion To Moderators On BANNING! *fellow Nlanders Wat Do U Think* (2067 Views)

Names Of All The Moderators On Nairaland. / Why Do Moderators On This Nl Alway Locking Up My Topic? / Democracy And Moderators On Nairaland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Suggestion To Moderators On BANNING! *fellow Nlanders Wat Do U Think* by chimajii: 8:11am On Nov 29, 2013
hello Moderators..I must say i appreciate You guys and the work y'all do to keep everyOne In check and some Other Behind the scene works we don't know about....

Am New Here...*maybe 2days old*..that's not to say i don't knw how Forums work...cos i been a member of foreign forums*Only* for the longest and i Got a Clean Slate on everywhere i registered..there is really no difference in what holds sway in all Forums...maybe slightly tweaking of certain Rules...

I just thought it nice to make a Few Suggestions as Regarding Banning some Ppu on here....

*Instead of Handing Out An Outright Ban for Years Upon Years....I think It wud be Nice If U guys Introduced what is Known As 'WARNING PONTS'....

HoW THIS will work...a specific number of 'WARNING POINTS' could be slated for members...say, maximum of '4'...i.e A person can Receive '4' warning points before he/she is Banned for whatever offence that would be and also whatsoever duration to serve the Ban.Personally, I don't think it's really cool to ban someOne for years knowing full well Nairaland is Loved by Many...Such quick action doesnt seem to come across as being Feasible...cause at the End of the Day,due to the love of this Forum, Many are forced to go open New accounts and whatnot WHICH in Turn will have a NEGATIVE Effect on the SERVER..Just My thought.
it'd also Interest The Mods to know that there are different duration of BANS handed out for different offences In Most forums...that i don't/havnt seen here...sumtyms sum offence carry a ban of One week,one Month,3months...e.t.c..

The MODs are definitely Trying cause it isn't easy to handle adults,seeing that some people could get very childish in the heat of the moment...

Don't know what fellow Nairalanders Think about this Suggestion.....Thanks
Re: Suggestion To Moderators On BANNING! *fellow Nlanders Wat Do U Think* by DKJaleel: 8:34am On Nov 29, 2013
good suggestion...
Re: Suggestion To Moderators On BANNING! *fellow Nlanders Wat Do U Think* by chimajii: 4:35pm On Nov 29, 2013
DK Jaleel: good suggestion...

^^Thanx...I wish this Post could have been seen by a Huge Number of Nlanders and possibly Every MOD..so that every1 cud weigh in on what they think...
Re: Suggestion To Moderators On BANNING! *fellow Nlanders Wat Do U Think* by dustydee: 4:59pm On Nov 29, 2013
If I may add, @Seun how is the ban duration calculated? Even in real life, only hardened criminals are sentenced to infinite years imprisonment. I will suggest shorter ban periods of no more than a year for serious offences. Also, what is the essence of a ban? is it so that the offender will not be able to post or so they can register a new ID. In summary, I believe 12 months should be the maximum ban length and should only apply to the section where the offence was committed.
Re: Suggestion To Moderators On BANNING! *fellow Nlanders Wat Do U Think* by chimajii: 5:11pm On Nov 29, 2013
dustydee: If I may add, @Seun how is the ban duration calculated? Even in real life, only hardened criminals are sentenced to infinite years imprisonment. I will suggest shorter ban periods of no more than a year for serious offences. Also, what is the essence of a ban? is it so that the offender will not be able to post or so they can register a new ID. In summary, I believe 12 months should be the maximum ban length and should only apply to the section where the offence was committed.

^^Hopefully the MODs & fellow Nlanders will see this Thread ...
Re: Suggestion To Moderators On BANNING! *fellow Nlanders Wat Do U Think* by chimajii: 5:20pm On Nov 29, 2013
Am New Here...i Have to say Nairaland needs to be Re-structured...a whole lot goes wrong on here ..just these few days i been on here....Don't get me wrong...it looks nothing like what obtains in foreign forum....am not saying it shud be the same...but there is sum particular Standard which shud be Reached at least.
Re: Suggestion To Moderators On BANNING! *fellow Nlanders Wat Do U Think* by Idrismusty97(m): 8:56pm On Nov 29, 2013
Well said.Pray for seun to see this wink
Re: Suggestion To Moderators On BANNING! *fellow Nlanders Wat Do U Think* by Nobody: 10:04pm On Nov 29, 2013
dustydee: If I may add, @Seun how is the ban duration calculated? Even in real life, only hardened criminals are sentenced to infinite years imprisonment. I will suggest shorter ban periods of no more than a year for serious offences. Also, what is the essence of a ban? is it so that the offender will not be able to post or so they can register a new ID. In summary, I believe 12 months should be the maximum ban length and should only apply to the section where the offence was committed.
How about hardened Nairaland criminals?
Re: Suggestion To Moderators On BANNING! *fellow Nlanders Wat Do U Think* by Mynd44: 10:34pm On Nov 29, 2013
How did I miss this?
Re: Suggestion To Moderators On BANNING! *fellow Nlanders Wat Do U Think* by chimajii: 10:38pm On Nov 29, 2013
Mynd_44: How did I miss this?

^^^ Timing i guess... it's the time i posted.....and the server is really troubling me....
Re: Suggestion To Moderators On BANNING! *fellow Nlanders Wat Do U Think* by Nobody: 9:05am On Nov 30, 2013
sexkillz: How about hardened Nairaland criminals?

Smh....

@op......I agree with such. For instance, I was banned for a year for no valid reason.....funny enough the ban was revoked but I had to complain and complain to get justice.

So to avoid bias from mods, there should be a guideline to banning.

Too many nairaland mods are just useless. Just even look at the 'productive' posts two of them have here
Re: Suggestion To Moderators On BANNING! *fellow Nlanders Wat Do U Think* by chimajii: 9:48am On Nov 30, 2013
[quote author=Logicboy03]

Smh....

@op......I agree with such. For instance, I was banned for a year for no valid reason.....funny enough the ban was revoked but I had to complain and complain to get justice.

So to avoid bias from mods, there should be a guideline to banning.

Too many nairaland mods are just Useless, just even look at the 'Productive' post two of them have here.

^^^ man i knw U're angry...but don't go using insulting terms..we trying for Our voice to get Heard...also...it's Good They're here and seeing/saw this Thread....my only Issue was i wish i made the thread earlier.*am sure #fingersCrossed,more nlanders will see this Thread*. The issue is not just about the MODs...80% of the time from what i see, it's actually from Nlanders...i been only here for a couple of days...Guy,i'd lie to U if i did say y'all was cool....Naww! majority of the guys and girls On here that i seen so far literally 'Have No Chill'...they struggle to Stay On Topic amongst other shitty behaviour...which are like major 'bad tin'/sparks in any thread...Once sum1 goes Off Topic...it's never a good look...the Thread Gets messy...also peeps hve major issue followin rules...and that's so much of a daunting task when the said person is an 'ADULT'...a lil bit of example....I dnt use 9ja sites,blogs, e.t.c *doesn't mean am not a P citizen'...because..from years of using Foreign forum i got to learn a lot..Meet various peeps from all facets of life...It'd interest U to knw that on foreign forums..everyOne is Rule conscious. If a thread is made by sum1 and You come in to be a 'Troll' or an whateva on purpose or just Outrightly going off topic....Another member quickly Reminds You to stay on Topic..and if u dnt change..U're are quickly 'Reported'..*that act of reportin sum1 doesnt & shudnt mean U're Victimizing them*.. It doesnt necessarily hve to be the OP who made the Thread or A MOD*cos not alwys are MODs around or the OP of the thread*...EveryOne shud work as A 'Unit'...not just the Mods did this,the Mods did that..
Re: Suggestion To Moderators On BANNING! *fellow Nlanders Wat Do U Think* by chimajii: 9:56am On Nov 30, 2013
e.g..i was In some Thread Yesterday on here..and someOne went off topic...i quickly drew his attention.....u'd be shocked to know what his reply was...he replied 'are you the monitor here' alongside lil mild insult....that kind of attitude won't Help make any Headway..
Re: Suggestion To Moderators On BANNING! *fellow Nlanders Wat Do U Think* by Nobody: 9:59am On Nov 30, 2013
chimajii: vvv

Yes, there are people here who don't follow rulesn no doubt.....but there are useless mods as well.

How could I be banned for a year for no reason? I am even lucky that my ban was revoked....I am quite popular in my section and that's why my case was heard.....

Nigeria has leasdership problems....give some people power and they just abuse it.

If some of the mods applied rules evenly, no one would complain when banned!

You will see that some sections are run smoothly because the mod is straightforward. Some mods give preferrential treatment to their firends or fellow religion followers....

This turns people off...
Re: Suggestion To Moderators On BANNING! *fellow Nlanders Wat Do U Think* by Danhumprey: 10:01am On Nov 30, 2013
chimajii: e.g..i was In some Thread Yesterday on here..and someOne went off topic...i quickly drew his attention.....u'd be shocked to know what his reply was...he replied 'are you the monitor here' alongside lil mild insult....that kind of attitude won't Help make any Headway..
OP bro,can you give me the links to some foreign forum you've been a member on? Please. Or better still,PM me their link or how I can access them. I want to study how they work. Thanks. smiley
Re: Suggestion To Moderators On BANNING! *fellow Nlanders Wat Do U Think* by Nobody: 10:03am On Nov 30, 2013
chimajii: e.g..i was In some Thread Yesterday on here..and someOne went off topic...i quickly drew his attention.....u'd be shocked to know what his reply was...he replied 'are you the monitor here' alongside lil mild insult....that kind of attitude won't Help make any Headway..

Okay
Re: Suggestion To Moderators On BANNING! *fellow Nlanders Wat Do U Think* by chimajii: 10:10am On Nov 30, 2013
Logicboy03:

Yes, there are people here who don't follow rulesn no doubt.....but there are useless mods as well.

How could I be banned for a year for no reason? I am even lucky that my ban was revoked....I am quite popular in my section and that's why my case was heard.....

Nigeria has leasdership problems....give some people power and they just abuse it.

If some of the mods applied rules evenly, no one would complain when banned!

You will see that some sections are run smoothly because the mod is straightforward. Some mods give preferrential treatment to their firends or fellow religion followers....

This turns people off...

^^ No doubt...but some nigerians Got 'manners' problem...there is nothing wrong in saying 'Pls, i'm sorry, thanks'.......those are hard words for them..
As i earlier stated...am Really New here..and i made a thread in a wrong section...it wasnt intentional...due to network issues...it switched/ended up being in a wrong section....and all i did when i found out was to gentle ask the MODs to 'pls' Move to it to the appropriate thread...with 'Thanks' at the end....and they Did...

Also the the first part of ur comment goes to what is said in d original Post...The Structure is kinda lacking in more ways than none..
Re: Suggestion To Moderators On BANNING! *fellow Nlanders Wat Do U Think* by Nobody: 10:17am On Nov 30, 2013
chimajii:

^^ No doubt...but some nigerians Got 'manners' problem...there is nothing wrong in saying 'Pls, i'm sorry, thanks'.......those are hard words for them..
As i earlier stated...am Really New here..and i made a thread in a wrong section...it wasnt intentional...due to network issues...it switched/ended up being in a wrong section....and all i did when i found out was to gentle ask the MODs to 'pls' Move to it to the appropriate thread...with 'Thanks' at the end....and they Did...

Also the the first part of ur comment goes to what is said in d original Post...The Structure is kinda lacking in more ways than none..

I also came from a foriegn forum. Nairaland is even better than some. The main problem with nairaland is the moderators.

Customer is always right. Some mods have become gods.
Re: Suggestion To Moderators On BANNING! *fellow Nlanders Wat Do U Think* by chimajii: 10:41am On Nov 30, 2013
Logicboy03:

I also came from a foriegn forum. Nairaland is even better than some. The main problem with nairaland is the moderators.

Customer is always right. Some mods have become gods.

^^well i don't know which forum it is U ws part of that nairaland is better than...personally i'd say No...
Re: Suggestion To Moderators On BANNING! *fellow Nlanders Wat Do U Think* by chimajii: 10:47am On Nov 30, 2013
Danhumprey: OP bro,can you give me the links to some foreign forum you've been a member on? Please. Or better still,PM me their link or how I can access them. I want to study how they work. Thanks. smiley

^^+1 ...I'd PM U...cos it cud be against NL forums rule to post links of oda forums * i don't knw oooooO* lol
Re: Suggestion To Moderators On BANNING! *fellow Nlanders Wat Do U Think* by Nobody: 10:51am On Nov 30, 2013
Re: Suggestion To Moderators On BANNING! *fellow Nlanders Wat Do U Think* by Nobody: 10:53am On Nov 30, 2013
chimajii:

^^well i don't know which forum it is U ws part of that nairaland is better than...personally i'd say No...

What is this one talking about? Are u the only one that has internet or been abroad?

Bbc 606
Sodahead

I have been ob the above forums and they are not better than nairaland.

Guy....calm down
Re: Suggestion To Moderators On BANNING! *fellow Nlanders Wat Do U Think* by Danhumprey: 10:55am On Nov 30, 2013
chimajii:

^^+1 ...I'd PM U...cos it cud be against NL forums rule to post links of oda forums * i don't knw oooooO* lol
Please,do PM me. I'm waiting. smiley
Re: Suggestion To Moderators On BANNING! *fellow Nlanders Wat Do U Think* by chimajii: 11:01am On Nov 30, 2013
Logicboy03:

What is this one talking about? Are u the only one that has internet or been abroad?

Bbc 606
Sodahead

I have been ob the above forums and they are not better than nairaland.

Guy....calm down

^^ lol...man...am all Calm...whats Up with U...as i said....it depends on what forum it is U ws part off...so far those i been on...Nairaland isn't touching 'em....S/N: lmao where did i say i ws d only one that got Internet....hehehehe...Yo! We talking bout Banning Issue....lets not go Into Forum Issue...aii....We good!
Re: Suggestion To Moderators On BANNING! *fellow Nlanders Wat Do U Think* by Nobody: 11:06am On Nov 30, 2013
chimajii:

^^ lol...man...am all Calm...whats Up with U...as i said....it depends on what forum it is U ws part off...so far those i been on...Nairaland isn't touching 'em....S/N: lmao where did i say i ws d only one that got Internet....hehehehe...Yo! We talking bout Banning Issue....lets not go Into Forum Issue...aii....We good!

We good. Lol
Re: Suggestion To Moderators On BANNING! *fellow Nlanders Wat Do U Think* by WisdomMe(m): 11:09am On Nov 30, 2013
Who is Musiwa?
Re: Suggestion To Moderators On BANNING! *fellow Nlanders Wat Do U Think* by chimajii: 12:32pm On Nov 30, 2013
[quote author=sexkillz][/quote]

^^ what's ur definition of Hardened Criminals?
Re: Suggestion To Moderators On BANNING! *fellow Nlanders Wat Do U Think* by chimajii: 12:36pm On Nov 30, 2013
Danhumprey: Please,do PM me. I'm waiting. smiley

Just so i get this Clear....is 'send E-mail .....' to You when i click ur profile the place to PM U??...dnt knw...
Re: Suggestion To Moderators On BANNING! *fellow Nlanders Wat Do U Think* by Danhumprey: 12:57pm On Nov 30, 2013
chimajii:

Just so i get this Clear....is 'send E-mail .....' to You when i click ur profile the place to PM U??...dnt knw...
Yes.
Re: Suggestion To Moderators On BANNING! *fellow Nlanders Wat Do U Think* by dustydee: 2:52pm On Nov 30, 2013
I mentioned that 1 year should be the maximum ban applicable. 1 year in the digital world is a very long time. There is no point banning someone for 100 years - it is better to just uprightly ban them from the forum. And I asked how id the ban calculated? You and Seun can enlighten us. Thank you. What is the punishment for a moderator that insults members or break nairaland rules? and who enforces the punishment?
Re: Suggestion To Moderators On BANNING! *fellow Nlanders Wat Do U Think* by Nobody: 3:12pm On Nov 30, 2013
dustydee:
I mentioned that 1 year should be the maximum ban applicable. 1 year in the digital world is a very long time. There is no point banning someone for 100 years - it is better to just uprightly ban them from the forum. And I asked how id the ban calculated? You and Seun can enlighten us. Thank you. What is the punishment for a moderator that insults members or break nairaland rules? and who enforces the punishment?
Let's say someone insults you and you complain. Then he's banned. But then, he comes back with a new moniker, what do you suggest should happen?
Re: Suggestion To Moderators On BANNING! *fellow Nlanders Wat Do U Think* by chimajii: 5:29pm On Nov 30, 2013
sexkillz: Let's say someone insults you and you complain. Then he's banned. But then, he comes back with a new moniker, what do you suggest should happen?

^^^ this is where these 'warning Points' should come in handy...now lets say someone insults you *kip in mind there are levels of insults* the person cud pick Up a warning point....which shud hve a certain date of xpiration.....say 3wks.....e.tc.......a person can be bannd when he/she has reached the maximum Warning point,say 12...*if that's what has been stipulated on here*....or Outrightly bannd where such situations are very grave...and it's something the mods have to come 2geda 2 review b4 saying 'that's a Ban'....
There arE other variables y'all should put in place too... Offensive things,false/fake News,illegally spreadin links,spamming,*this one plenty for here* Trolling,Racist comments/remark e.t.c...

if sum1 Tees around to make a duplicate a/c after being bannd,say 3wks,w/o waiting/sitting Out his/her Ban..and y'all figured it's a duplicate a/c...then U cud xtend the Ban to 2months

(1) (2) (Reply)

SHOCKER: Woman Who Changed From Bird In Lagos Is Dead / What A Strong Discipline Self Respecting Black Woman Look Like / 99 Things I Want To Do Before I Die (A List)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.