Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,712 members, 7,824,021 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:34 PM

What's A Soul? Do Animals Have Souls? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What's A Soul? Do Animals Have Souls? (11464 Views)

Why Do Animals Die ? / Picture Of Black Swan Feeding Goldfish: Who Says That Animals Don't Have Souls? / Do Human Clones Have Souls? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's A Soul? Do Animals Have Souls? by johnw74: 11:29pm On Sep 20, 2015
Jessicha:

You said I dont believe the bible whereas I do , you are a fake christian .

U dont know ?

You don't believe the Bible
you couldn't be told anything

johnw74:

Gen_1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness:....

Jessicha:

Haha ! Can you tell what it means that man is in the image of God ?
Re: What's A Soul? Do Animals Have Souls? by Nobody: 11:33pm On Sep 20, 2015
Seun:
You're a dishonest person, Drusilla. My simple question was "why is it ok to butcher animals, since they have souls?" and you have tried to dodge it with a trainload of bullshit words. angry I will pretend you don't exist on this site.
Re: What's A Soul? Do Animals Have Souls? by Nobody: 6:50am On Sep 21, 2015
Seun, I see everyone here has been confusing you with pretty different answers.
But take a minute to go through this.
You'll perfectly get understand it better.

What is a soul?
Answer: When you examine the day 'soul' is used in the Bible, it is evident that this word basically refers to
1. People
1 Peter 3:20: in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water.
The word souls here clearly stands for people-Noah, his wife, his three sons and their wives.

2. Animals
Genesis 1:20: 20 Then God said, “Let the waters swarm forth a swarm of living souls and let flying creatures fly over the earth upon the face of the expanse of the heavens...”

3. Life of a person or animal.
Exodus 4:19: All the men hunting for your soul(life) are dead.
Ezekiel 18:4- “Behold, all souls are Mine; The soul of the father As well as the soul of the son is Mine; The soul who sins shall die.
In other words, the soul is not immortal.
It dies.

- How do you know that souls exist?
If you get what I explained earlier, then I don't have to answer this.

- Do animals - dogs, cats, worms, flies, mosquitos, lice, chimps - have souls?
Animals are souls.

- If they do, what are the implications?
That their souls will one day die.

- Why is it ok to butcher them?
Because we have subjection over them. And God instructed that we use them as food.

- Will there be animals in heaven and hell?
Lol
This one is tricky.
Tricky because I don't believe in hell fire. (Topic for another day).

Will they be in heaven? No, they won't.
Because only spirits can inherit heaven.
And guess what? They're not spirits.

- What does a human being have that animals don't have?
If we're looking at it in the context of soul and spirits, nothing really.
They both have a soul and a spirit.

Now, what is a spirit?
A Spirit is the life force that animates all living creatures.
The soul and the spirit are not the same.
The body needs the spirit in order to function.

To illustrate: think of a radio. When you put batteries in a radio and turn it on, it brings the radio to life, so to speak. Without batteries, however, the radio is dead. Similarly, the spirit is the force that brings our body to life.

The battery, like the spirit has no feeling and cannot think.

James 2:26: "The body without spirit is dead.

Hope you perfectly get this.

Thanks.
Re: What's A Soul? Do Animals Have Souls? by johnw74: 11:22pm On Sep 21, 2015

Joh 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
Re: What's A Soul? Do Animals Have Souls? by Jozzy4: 7:01am On Sep 22, 2015
johnw74:

Joh 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Learn to read and understand , " it is the spirit in people , the BREATH of the Almighty" that she is talking about ( Job 32 :8 )

1 Like

Re: What's A Soul? Do Animals Have Souls? by johnw74: 11:56pm On Sep 22, 2015
Jozzy4:

Learn to read and understand , " it is the spirit in people , the BREATH of the Almighty" that she is talking about ( Job 32 :8 )

Yes I know, it is the Spirit of God in people that she says cannot feel or think,
and you agree with her,
of course I'm not surprised at that.

The Spirit of God inspires us to understanding, but according to you it cannot feel or think,

Job 32:8 But there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding.

Your non personal active force holy spirit, is a false holy spirit,
just like your jesus is a false jesus, who is not God but who is "a god" "a angel"

1Co 12:3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord(kurios), but by the Holy Ghost.

Those who call themselves Jehovah's Witnesses, but are not, and do lie, cannot call Jesus God, because it takes the Holy Spirit in a person, to know Jesus is God and to call Him that.
And of course those who call themselves Jehovah's witnesses, and are not, but do lie, do not have the Holy Spirit, they do not know the Holy Spirit is God and think He is an impersonal force.
Re: What's A Soul? Do Animals Have Souls? by johnw74: 12:06am On Sep 23, 2015
johnw74:

Jozzy4:

Talk about not having understanding,
God is Spirit,
God's Spirit in us, is God in us.
Re: What's A Soul? Do Animals Have Souls? by Jozzy4: 8:07am On Sep 23, 2015
johnw74:

Yes I know, it is the Spirit of God in people that she says cannot feel or think,
And you agree with her,
of course I'm not surprised at that.

You actually misunderstand her , the spirit that she is talking about is that spirit in our NOSTRILS , both man and animals , the breath of life ( Ecc 3:19-21 ; Gen 7:21,22 )

Job 32:8 But there is a spirit in man : and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding.

Lol , hatred kills , . So the spirit in man talked about at job 32:8 is holyspirit ? *Smiles*

Bro pls explain : the verse said : 'There is a spirit in man ' which means every man has it , bro so are you telling us that holyspirit is in every man ? . That shows you err .

Let this scripture enlighten you further .

" as long as my breath is within me , And the spirit from God is in my nostrils "
- Job 27:3
note : in my NOTSRILS

1 Like

Re: What's A Soul? Do Animals Have Souls? by johnw74: 12:12am On Sep 24, 2015
Jozzy4:

You actually misunderstand her , the spirit that she is talking about is that spirit in our NOSTRILS , both man and animals , the breath of life ( Ecc 3:19-21 ; Gen 7:21,22 )

I understand her, the spirit is given from God, it is called "ruach" in Hebrew, and it means breath-spirit of a rational being
Now a rational being can think, one needs to be able to think to be able to reason.
jozzy4:

jozzy4:
]Lol , hatred kills , . So the spirit in man talked about at job 32:8 is holyspirit ? *Smiles*

Bro pls explain : the verse said : 'There is a spirit in man ' which means every man has it , bro so are you telling us that holyspirit is in every man ? . That shows you err .

" as long as my breath is within me , And the spirit from God is in my nostrils "

That babel and confusion shows your lack of knowledge and understanding.

The spirit in man is from God and it goes back to God when the man dies.
Ecc 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

And of course the inspiration of the Almighty given to man is from the Holy Spirit. But I know you cannot fathom it.

Job 32:8 But there is a spirit in man : and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding.
Re: What's A Soul? Do Animals Have Souls? by johnw74: 1:59am On Sep 24, 2015
How can anyone get this:

Jozzy4:

Lol , hatred kills , . So the spirit in man talked about at job 32:8 is holyspirit ? *Smiles*

From this:

johnw74:

2Co_4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
Re: What's A Soul? Do Animals Have Souls? by Jozzy4: 3:00pm On Sep 24, 2015
johnw74:

How can anyone get this:

From this:

2Co_4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

You see your life , simple question you cant answer , WHAT IS THE SPIRIT IN OUR NOSTRILS ? Job 27:3
Re: What's A Soul? Do Animals Have Souls? by johnw74: 2:14am On Sep 25, 2015
Jozzy4:

You see your life , simple question you cant answer , WHAT IS THE SPIRIT IN OUR NOSTRILS ? Job 27:3

Stop with your lies I showed that more than once, and stop changing the subject.

again: spirit in Job 27:3 and elsewhere is "ruach" it means "breath-spirit of a rational being"

Now stop lying and changing and twisting the issue, but that's what jw does, twist issues, and twist scriptures.
the issue is:

I have shown with scripture that the spirit(ruach) does indeed think,
which you ignore and post back babel-confusion.

Jozzy4:

Re: What's A Soul? Do Animals Have Souls? by Jozzy4: 6:37am On Sep 25, 2015
johnw74:

Stop with your lies I showed that more than once, and stop changing the subject.

again: spirit in Job 27:3 and elsewhere is "ruach" it means "breath-spirit of a rational being"

Thats the spirit that she is talking about . The one in our Nostrils , it activates life in us but the breath itself cannot think or do anything , rather it activates OUR BRAIN which do the thinkings .

I have shown with scripture that the spirit(ruach) does indeed think,
Which you ignore and post back babel-confusion.

John 4:24 is talking about the Nature of God . He is a spirit being ! But you are so confused to the extent that you compare God with the breath in our nose .

I belive your confusion 101 has been cleared since you can now differentiate the breath in the nose of man and animals from spirit in the context of Heavenly Beings .

1 Like

Re: What's A Soul? Do Animals Have Souls? by johnw74: 11:51pm On Sep 25, 2015
Jozzy4:

Thats the spirit that she is talking about . The one in our Nostrils , it activates life in us but the breath itself cannot think or do anything , rather it activates OUR BRAIN which do the thinkings .

John 4:24 is talking about the Nature of God . He is a spirit being ! But you are so confused to the extent that you compare God with the breath in our nose .

I belive your confusion 101 has been cleared since you can now differentiate the breath in the nose of man and animals from spirit in the context of Heavenly Beings .

You go on and on and on with lies when the issue was made clear long back
MzNelly wasn't talking about the air we breathe
the thread is about "soul" and she bought "spirit" into it
MzNelly was talking about the spirit in man that is from God
and that goes back to God

Stop your lies, and twisting things around.

MzNelly:

only spirits can inherit heaven.

Re: What's A Soul? Do Animals Have Souls? by Nobody: 12:27am On Sep 26, 2015
johnw74:

Re: What's A Soul? Do Animals Have Souls? by johnw74: 3:08am On Sep 26, 2015
MzNelly:

Not you, I have put that line above your quote to be clearer.
Re: What's A Soul? Do Animals Have Souls? by johnw74: 4:47am On Sep 26, 2015
Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God(theos), and the Word was God(theos).

The Word Jesus Christ is God

jw's jesus, who is an angel-a god,
is a false God.

Joh_4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

God is a Spirit,
so common sense alone tells us that
God's Spirit in us, is God in us.

jw's impersonal active force is a false God

1Jn_2:22 Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.
2Jn_1:9 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.

jw deny the Holy Spirit, jw deny Jesus Christ, and so jw have not the Father also
their calling on the name Jehovah is in vain
satan is their god.
Re: What's A Soul? Do Animals Have Souls? by Jozzy4: 6:41am On Sep 26, 2015
johnw74:

You go on and on and on with lies when the issue was made clear long back
MzNelly wasn't talking about the air we breathe
the thread is about "soul" and she bought "spirit" into it

But the air we breathe is also called spirit , hope u know ? Am happy uv learn that .

MzNelly was talking about the spirit in man that is from God
and that goes back to God

Hmm all spiritS either good or wicked go back to God , wow that means everyone will go to God in Heaven . I thought sinners wont see God , but I can now see that they will since their spirit also return to God !
Re: What's A Soul? Do Animals Have Souls? by Jozzy4: 6:57am On Sep 26, 2015
johnw74:
Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God(theos), and the Word was God(theos).

The Word Jesus Christ is God

Act 28:6 they began saying " he ( Paul) was a god ( theos) " ! Why translate theos as a god ? Luke call him God (theos) ! Oh! Paul is not the Almighty God , Paul have a God ! it should be translated " a god" , Is Jesus the Almighty God too ? Can an Almighty God HAVE A GOD ?
Re: What's A Soul? Do Animals Have Souls? by Jozzy4: 7:14am On Sep 26, 2015
johnw74:

I understand her, the spirit is given from God, it is called "ruach" in Hebrew, and it means breath -spirit of a rational being

*happy* ya u finally gerrit .

Now a rational being can think, one needs to be able to think to be able to reason.

** What about a Mad Man , can he think and reason ? Hope u know he also has " ruach" ! So why cant a mad man think and reason since ruach itself can think and reason according to you ?

** Why cant animals think and reason aftrall they have rua'ch which can think and reason according to you ? Ecc 3:19
Re: What's A Soul? Do Animals Have Souls? by johnw74: 11:24pm On Sep 26, 2015
Jozzy4:

Hmm all spiritS either good or wicked go back to God , wow that means everyone will go to God in Heaven . I thought sinners wont see God , but I can now see that they will since their spirit also return to God !

You appear to know nothing at all
and of course you don't believe the Bible.

Ecc_12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

As for the rest of your posts,
so much twisting and confusion, as in this your post quoted.
Re: What's A Soul? Do Animals Have Souls? by Jozzy4: 5:28am On Sep 27, 2015
johnw74:

You appear to know nothing at all
and of course you don't believe the Bible.

Ecc_12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

The spirit that return to God is ruach , your breath . cheesy not you . As for you " you re dust and to dust YOU shall return" - Gen 3:19

As for the rest of your posts,
so much twisting and confusion, as in this your post quoted.

They are questions that Will make you use ur brain.

If ruach can think and reason , why cant a mad man reason since he had ruach ?

If ruach can think nd reason , why dont animals reason since they have ruach too ? Ecc 3:19

Based on the above , its clear that ruach doesnt do the thinking but like an eletricity activating the transformer of a radio , it activates our highly intelligent brain which do the reasoning and thinking .

1 Like

Re: What's A Soul? Do Animals Have Souls? by mcfynest(m): 6:45am On Sep 27, 2015
Seun:
Hello,

I'm posing these questions to spiritual folks in the house:
- What is a soul?

Thanks a million.

The soul is man itself, i.e the mind, the being of man. It is the soul that perishes, or enjoys eternal life.

The spirit is God's breath in us.

The body is like a cupboard that is like a wardrobe.

Just like a candle. When you put off the light, where those the light/fire goes to? the light in this example is the spirit of God in man. the candle wax is the body that is useless because there is no light in it. while the thread can be categorized as the soul, the thread will need the light(spirit) to function.

Hope it is clear now?
Re: What's A Soul? Do Animals Have Souls? by Nobody: 6:16pm On Sep 27, 2015
MzNelly:

Hi boo.
Re: What's A Soul? Do Animals Have Souls? by Nobody: 8:16pm On Sep 27, 2015
Seun:
Hello,

I'm posing these questions to spiritual folks in the house:
- What is a soul?

It could refer to

1) People

2) animal or

3) life that a person or animal has.

Reference:- Gen 1:20; 2:7; Num 31:28; 1pet 3:20

It appears your target are those who see the soul as the immaterial conscious part of man.

That belief is wrong.

Thanks a million.
Re: What's A Soul? Do Animals Have Souls? by johnw74: 11:57pm On Sep 27, 2015
Jozzy4:

The spirit that return to God is ruach , your breath . cheesy not you . As for you " you re dust and to dust YOU shall return" - Gen 3:19

You implied that a man's spirit doesn't go back to God when he dies
now you say it does

you have to twist, and change, and lie, and deceive, to cover up past lies of twisting ,changing, lying and deception.
Remind you of anyone.

Christians know the Truth-Jesus Christ

Rev_21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Jozzy4:

They are questions that Will make you use ur brain.

If ruach can think and reason , why cant a mad man reason since he had ruach ?

If ruach can think nd reason , why dont animals reason since they have ruach too ? Ecc 3:19

Based on the above , its clear that ruach doesnt do the thinking but like an eletricity activating the transformer of a radio , it activates our highly intelligent brain which do the reasoning and thinking .

Of course a mad man can reason, probably differently to a sane man.
Of course animals can reason, they will walk away from a trap if it seems suspicious.
You though are not reasoning well,
You think God who is a Spirit(ruach) cannot feel or think.

you go on and on about things you know very little at all about
You think spirit-ruach just means breath
Re: What's A Soul? Do Animals Have Souls? by johnw74: 12:40am On Sep 28, 2015
[size=13pt]For those who like to know:[/size]

Spirit is not just air or breath
spirit is mind
God's Spirit is God's mind
the spirit in man is the human mind
the Holy Spirit in Christians of faith, is the mind of God in us.

Php 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

1Co_2:16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

Eph_4:23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
Psa_51:10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
Re: What's A Soul? Do Animals Have Souls? by johnw74: 3:35am On Sep 28, 2015
1Co_7:34 There is difference also between a wife and a virgin. The unmarried woman careth for the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit: but she that is married careth for the things of the world, how she may please her husband.

that she may be holy both in body and in spirit, means to be holy in both body and mind.
jw Jozzy4 would say, to be holy in both body and breath.

1Th 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless means, I pray God your whole mind and soul and body be preserved blameless.
jw Jozzy4 would say, I pray God your whole breath and soul and body be preserved blameless.

1Co 6:20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit means, therefor glorify God in your body and your mind.
jw Jozzy4 would say it means, therefor glorify God in your body and your breath.
Re: What's A Soul? Do Animals Have Souls? by Jozzy4: 8:19am On Sep 28, 2015
johnw74:

You implied that a man's spirit doesn't go back to God when he dies
now you say it does

you have to twist, and change, and lie, and deceive, to cover up past lies of twisting ,changing, lying and deception.
Remind you of anyone.

Christians know the Truth-Jesus Christ

Rev_21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Of course a mad man can reason, probably differently to a sane man.
Of course animals can reason, they will walk away from a trap if it seems suspicious.
You though are not reasoning well,

@bold , Animals dont reason - "unreasoning animals " 2 Peter 2:12 .
Re: What's A Soul? Do Animals Have Souls? by johnw74: 11:08am On Sep 28, 2015
Jozzy4:

@bold , Animals dont reason - "unreasoning animals " 2 Peter 2:12 .

Oh boy, unbelievable, 2 Peter 2:12 is talking about persons, being like natural brute beasts
these persons are described as being like brute beasts

brute comes from the Greek "alogas" which means brute, irrational, unreasonable
these persons being unreasonable does not mean they cannot reason
just as brute animals being unreasonable does not mean animals cannot reason
you changed "unreasonable" to "unreasoning"
changing, twisting is the jw way

2Pe 2:12 But these, as natural brute beasts, made to be taken and destroyed, speak evil of the things that they understand not; and shall utterly perish in their own corruption;
Re: What's A Soul? Do Animals Have Souls? by Ubenedictus(m): 11:24am On Sep 28, 2015
Tough questions, especially for us who use the bible.
Re: What's A Soul? Do Animals Have Souls? by Jozzy4: 1:19pm On Sep 28, 2015
johnw74:

Oh boy, unbelievable, 2 Peter 2:12 is talking about persons, being like [size=25]natural brute beasts [/size]
these persons are described as being like brute beasts

Animals are NATURALLY ( by nature) brute , open your eyes nd read the underlined .

So whats the meaning of brute : you said
"
Brute comes from the Greek "alogas" which means brute, irrational, unreasonable "

From your own statement above , we see that brute is same with IRRATIONAL and UNREASONABLE . And we told that animals are naturally that way ( 2pet 2:12) *cheers

Now what is irrational .

1. Without the faculty of reasoning ; deprived of reasoning .

2. Not endowned with the faculty of reasoning ; irrational animals .

Http://www.dictionary.reference.com/browse/irrational

these persons being unreasonable does not mean they cannot reason
just as brute animals being unreasonable does not mean animals cannot reason

Dont try to cover your ignorance that have already been exposed . Animals are created to act on instinct, brute by nature ( NATURAL) - 2pet 2:12 BUT Humans are not created to act on instinct .

That render your statement void .

You changed "unreasonable" to "unreasoning"
Changing,

Na jozzy write this bibles , shey ?

New International Version
But these people blaspheme in matters they do not understand. They are like [size=25]unreasoning animals, creatures of instinct, [/size] born only to be caught and destroyed, and like animals they too will perish.

New Living Translation
These false teachers are like [size=25]unthinking animals, creatures of instinct, [/size]born to be caught and destroyed. They scoff at things they do not understand, and like animals, they will be destroyed.

English Standard Version
But these, like irrational animals, creatures of instinct, born to be caught and destroyed, blaspheming about matters of which they are ignorant, will also be destroyed in their destruction,

Berean Study Bible
These men are like irrational animals, creatures of instinct, born to be captured and destroyed. They blaspheme in matters they do not understand, and like such creatures, they too will be destroyed.

Berean Literal Bible
But these, like irrational animals, having been born as creatures of instinct for capture and destruction, blaspheming in what they are ignorant of, in their destruction also will be destroyed,

New American Standard Bible
But these, like unreasoning animals, born as creatures of instinct to be captured and killed, reviling where they have no knowledge, will in the destruction of those creatures also be destroyed,

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

As A Believer, How Can I Stop Sinning Repeatedly? - Olamide Obire / Church History Outline / Science Confirms Eucharistic Miracles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.