Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,411 members, 7,954,633 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 03:21 AM

Protesters Disrupt Oduah’s Award Ceremony In London - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Protesters Disrupt Oduah’s Award Ceremony In London (22606 Views)

Militants Disrupt Elections In South Ijaw / Aisha Buhari, Ambode, Tinubu At A Wedding Ceremony In Lagos / Protesters Disrupt Award Of Honour To Aviationminister Stella Oduah In London (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Protesters Disrupt Oduah’s Award Ceremony In London by Nobody: 6:22am On Nov 30, 2013
Source: Weekly trust

An award event in London was on Thursday night disrupted by some protesting Nigerian women who kicked against the inclusion of the Minister of Aviation, Stella Oduah as one of the recipients of the awards as “shameful and embarrassing”

Kaduna State Governor, Mukhtar Ramalan Yero was also one of the honourees ; while the Aviation Minister was given an award for “Aviation transformation and best performing minister in Nigeria”,

The event, which held at the Radison Hotel, Central London, was organized by the Global Peace Movement to present “Peace, Development and Security” award to Governor Yero; while the Managing Director of Nigeria Airspace Management Agency, (NAMA) Nnamdi Udo, was recognized for “excellence” in airspace management.

The chaos started when the citation of Ms. Oduah, who was represented, was being read as prelude to the presentation of the award. Suddenly, a woman who gave her name as Taiwo Akpabio started speaking and shouting, condemning the conferment of the award on Ms. Oduah.

Speaking at the top of her voice, Ms. Akpabio said it was shameful and insulting for the organizers to give an award to the minister after series of air mishaps in the country under her watch, which resulted in loss of many lives, as well as the alleged scandal in the purchase of the bullet-proof BMW cars involving the minister.

Chaos and confusion descended on the venue for sometime as all efforts to calm down the protester failed. Insisting that she had the right to speak out and criticize the insensitivity of the organizers, Ms. Akpabio had to be dragged out of the venue by security officials of the hotel.

As Ms. Akpabio was being bundled out, another protester who gave her name as Maryam Awolowo took the floor and rained invectives against the organizers for giving an award to Ms Oduah. She too was dragged out of the venue of the awards event. Both women asked rhetorical questions, including how much the organizers were paid to give the awards to the recipients.

It took a while before normalcy was restored and the event continued with the presentation of the peace and security award to Governor Yero.

16 Likes

Re: Protesters Disrupt Oduah’s Award Ceremony In London by SLIDEwaxie(m): 6:25am On Nov 30, 2013
These people are learners!

This is Jonathan's era!
Criminals are rolled a red carpet!

Get used to this devilment while it lasts!

59 Likes

Re: Protesters Disrupt Oduah’s Award Ceremony In London by DesChyko1(m): 6:27am On Nov 30, 2013
Hmm.. Dance of Shame.. The women sef too get wahala.. The'ld have simply said 'Eye wey see go chop o'..and Peace will reign

1 Like

Re: Protesters Disrupt Oduah’s Award Ceremony In London by Nobody: 6:31am On Nov 30, 2013
Cash and carry award. The best of worst is still the worst. Wherever she goes, odious stench of corruption and incompetence continue to pollute the air.

20 Likes

Re: Protesters Disrupt Oduah’s Award Ceremony In London by mascot87(m): 6:53am On Nov 30, 2013
I wonder how Jonathan sleeps everyday with the high rate of corruption in this country under is watch.Jonacorrupt administration breaks all bad records ever in the 53 years rule of different government both military and democratically elected in Nigeria.What a shame

22 Likes

Re: Protesters Disrupt Oduah’s Award Ceremony In London by nerodenero: 7:11am On Nov 30, 2013
I have observed over time that most awards in Nigeria are given based on ethnic lines and this is not different despite being given abroad.Another case is an award given recently to Punch newspaper where all the winners were yorubas.If you look behind these organizers,dont be surprised that they are Igbos.This shameful habit needs to stopAside the case of Madam Needful,Why give awards to those who have increased poverty in the land?People who loot with reckless abandon and yet we celebrate them.With such trend,there is no how foreign countries will take us seriously.This and many more are the reasons behind the ill-treatment Nigerians get abroad.With the rate at which corruption is going in the country,if care is not taken,this administration will be given a huge space in the Guinness Book of Records as the most corrupt administration ever in the world.There is still time for Jonathan to nip this in the bud.

2 Likes

Re: Protesters Disrupt Oduah’s Award Ceremony In London by Tolexander: 7:14am On Nov 30, 2013
Speaking at the top of her
voice, Ms. Akpabio said it was
shameful and insulting for the
organizers to give an award
to the minister after series of
air mishaps in the country
under her watch, which
resulted in loss of many lives,
as well as the alleged scandal
in the purchase of the bullet-
proof BMW cars involving the
minister.
yet, some people see her as a hero!

10 Likes

Re: Protesters Disrupt Oduah’s Award Ceremony In London by Tolexander: 7:17am On Nov 30, 2013
nerodenero: I have observed over time that most awards in Nigeria are given based on ethnic lines and this is not different despite being given abroad.Another case is an award given recently to Punch newspaper where all the winners were yorubas.If you look behind these organizers,dont be surprised that they are Igbos.This shameful habit needs to stopAside the case of Madam Needful,Why give awards to those who have increased poverty in the land?People who loot with reckless abandon and yet we celebrate them.With such trend,there is no how foreign countries will take us seriously.This and many more are the reasons behind the ill-treatment Nigerians get abroad.With the rate at which corruption is going in the country,if care is not taken,this administration will be given a huge space in the Guinness Book of Records as the most corrupt administration ever in the world.There is still time for Jonathan to nip this in the bud.
bro, i refuse to believe this award is ethnic oriented but see it as a group that need money from these honourees. Guess you missed where Gov Mukhtar Ramalan Yero of Kaduna state was honoured or is kaduna in the south east?

6 Likes

Re: Protesters Disrupt Oduah’s Award Ceremony In London by Ngwakwe: 7:32am On Nov 30, 2013
They chose to protest having imbibed all the lies from most scandalous S/West based media sites without confirming the realities. Examples includes;

1. The causes of those Air crashes in relationship to administrative defects emanating from NAMA/NCAA/FAAN and what actually the Minister would have done but neglected.

2. Saharareporters accused Oduah of accepting N120M kickback - conspiracy to assassinate her character/ libel

3. The purchase of the Armoured Cars wasn't initiated by Stella Oduah - Fact

4. Those Cars were not a gift for Stella Oduah rather NCAA assets .

5. That NCAA has already paid for all those Cars while it neglected training of Staff etc - this was also a lie.

6. The Scandal was orchestrated, sponsored and directed/redirected by the Aviation Cabals to get even with her for trampling on their respective interests..

Nigerians should always try to decipher lies and propaganda even when there are resemblances of truth which are modified for selfish or sectional interests.

32 Likes

Re: Protesters Disrupt Oduah’s Award Ceremony In London by Akshow: 7:45am On Nov 30, 2013
Ngwakwe: They chose to protest having imbibed all the lies from most scandalous S/West based media sites without confirming the realities. Examples includes;

1. The causes of those Air crashes in relationship to administrative defects emanating from NAMA/NCAA/FAAN and what actually the Minister would have done but neglected.

2. Saharareporters accused Oduah of accepting N120M kickback - conspiracy to assassinate her character/ libel

5. That NCAA has already paid for all those Cars while it neglected training of Staff etc - this was also a lie.

6. The Scandal was orchestrated, sponsored and directed/redirected by the Aviation Cabals to get even with her for trampling on their respective interests..

Nigerians should always try to decipher lies and propaganda even when there are resemblances of truth which are modified for selfish or sectional interests.
oh shut it pls! Have u no shame at all? Is it the southwest papers that bought d cars for her? Y blame the journalists for exposing madam Stella's theifing tendencies? This ur she is "witch hunted" crap is getting over played abeg. Don't let sentiment becloud ur better reasoning. All ur falsity above can only be believed by ur people. For once in ur life call a spade a spade and not a rake.

96 Likes

Re: Protesters Disrupt Oduah’s Award Ceremony In London by Tolexander: 7:52am On Nov 30, 2013
Viewing this topic: keemness(m),
Akshow, musiwa112 and 1 guest
i need to unfollow thread asap. My data plan is planned for today!

6 Likes

Re: Protesters Disrupt Oduah’s Award Ceremony In London by Ngwakwe: 8:12am On Nov 30, 2013
See another misconception in the quote, the truth is that the Cars weren't bought for her.

Ministsers come and go, NCAA is an institution of the government - Fact

Akshow: oh shut it pls! Have u no shame at all? Is it the southwest papers that bought d cars for her? Y blame the journalists for exposing madam Stella's theifing tendencies? This ur she is "witch hunted" crap is getting over played abeg. Don't let sentiment becloud ur better reasoning. All ur falsity above can only be believed by ur people. For once in ur life call a spade a spade and not a rake.

10 Likes

Re: Protesters Disrupt Oduah’s Award Ceremony In London by revolt(m): 8:28am On Nov 30, 2013
Akshow: oh shut it pls! Have u no shame at all? Is it the southwest papers that bought d cars for her? Y blame the journalists for exposing madam Stella's theifing tendencies? This ur she is "witch hunted" crap is getting over played abeg. Don't let sentiment becloud ur better reasoning. All ur falsity above can only be believed by ur people. For once in ur life call a spade a spade and not a rake.
in as much as I feel the purchase of the vehicles were immorally extravagant, I feel the media attacks on her like the subsidy removal, were greed driven. At first I supported saharas calumnous position, but under close investigation it turned out facts were twisted to shape public opinion.
Then a section of the country seemed so engulfed in their bigotry, they simply demanded her job, without investigation or hearing her side of the story.
The cars were govt assets but it was reported they were bought for her personal use. With the media overflog of the issue we began to sniff mischief. I'd prefer she finishes her cleanse campaign, then she can take a bow. what hapnd in the subsidy campaigns shouldn't happen here. These cabals can't be winning war on progressive implemented policies cos they control the media.

10 Likes

Re: Protesters Disrupt Oduah’s Award Ceremony In London by SLIDEwaxie(m): 8:30am On Nov 30, 2013
Ngwakwe: They chose to protest having imbibed all the lies from most scandalous S/West based media sites without confirming the realities. Examples includes;

your first point said u are a fool!!!

Think abt 'why'?

16 Likes

Re: Protesters Disrupt Oduah’s Award Ceremony In London by Akshow: 8:31am On Nov 30, 2013
Ngwakwe: See another misconception in the quote, the truth is that the Cars weren't bought for her.

Ministsers come and go, NCAA is an institution of the government - Fact

don't patronise me young man. I'm not in the mood for ur shenanigans. If u believe she is innocent of all accusations, I honestly won't argue with you.

1 Like

Re: Protesters Disrupt Oduah’s Award Ceremony In London by DesChyko1(m): 8:36am On Nov 30, 2013
SLIDE waxie: your first point said u are a fool!!!

Think abt 'why'?

It's obvious you're an even bigger fool..and the answer(s) isn't(aren't) 'far-fetched'

8 Likes

Re: Protesters Disrupt Oduah’s Award Ceremony In London by Akshow: 8:45am On Nov 30, 2013
revolt: in as much as I feel the purchase of the vehicles were immorally extravagant, I feel the media attacks on her like the subsidy removal, were greed driven. At first I supported saharas calumnous position, but under close investigation it turned out facts were twisted to shape public opinion.
Then a section of the country seemed so engulfed in their bigotry, they simply demanded her job, without investigation or hearing her side of the story.
The cars were govt assets but it was reported they were bought for her personal use. With the media overflog of the issue we began to sniff mischief. I'd prefer she finishes her cleanse campaign, then she can take a bow. what hapnd in the subsidy campaigns shouldn't happen here. These cabals can't be winning war on progressive implemented policies cos they control the media.
My problem with the south easterner is that when the media is hot against them, it is witch hunting not minding whether they are guilty or not. But when the table is turned around it is ok. I call that hypocrisy. Was Farouk's scandal not overflogged and trashed by the media? Did u see hausa e warlords on forums shouting and whining foul play? When Tafa and Bode where dealt with by the media for the thief they were, did u hear of yoruba's staging campaign and protesting foul play cos they are "our sons"? Ok.....if those examples are too far, didn't Punch newspaper rightly reported the pathetic state of affairs in Lag state public schools last week? This is a paper adjudged to be 'yoruba' paper when it does not favour southeasterners but they are quick to post the link of the very paper they describe as wack just to rubbish lag state govt. What m saying here is ur people need to stop playing the victim and "witch hunting" card. They need to stop their hypocrisy and senseless support of mediocrity cos of tribal and ethnic affiliation. Shallom

58 Likes

Re: Protesters Disrupt Oduah’s Award Ceremony In London by Ngwakwe: 8:54am On Nov 30, 2013
Innocence in this context is subjective and indeed alien to Nigerian Politicians.

I prefer we use comparative analogies as this is the only standard that works in Nigeria politics for now.

Akshow: don't patronise me young man. I'm not in the mood for ur shenanigans. If u believe she is innocent of all accusations, I honestly won't argue with you.

2 Likes

Re: Protesters Disrupt Oduah’s Award Ceremony In London by gurnam: 8:56am On Nov 30, 2013
Cash and carry award.....better still pay-as-you-go award.

1 Like

Re: Protesters Disrupt Oduah’s Award Ceremony In London by Nobody: 8:58am On Nov 30, 2013

Fair enough. While the lack of sufficient oversight might well have been a contributory factor, it is only part of an array of other concerns which account for the systematic decay seen across that ministry.

This has neither been proved nor disproved.
Fact: according to documents available in the public domain those cars were not new - the VIN#s provided attest to this.
Fact: only one car was made available to the HOR Committee on Aviation for inspection

You can spin it however you want but the preponderance of evidence suggests otherwise.

You are having a laugh, aren't you? Last time I checked, we still live in a culture where politicians and ministers are known to retain cars well beyond their tenure. Were some of the cars allocated to Fani-Kayode not recovered from his other abode in Ghana, way after he left office? grin

And what are the terms of the loan acquired again? Can you prove that the NCAA is buoyant enough to meet its commitment to staff training?

I do not dispute the existence of an 'aviation cabal', which is muddying the waters and impoverishing Nigeria just like the Petroleum cabal which counts Madam Oduah as one of its members. What you have failed to demonstrate, however, is why this group should be held responsible for the flagrant abuse of budgetary measures which is currently under scrutiny.

The fact that you have summoned clannish sentiments to defend Madam Oduah since this story first broke, is most unbecoming of someone who otherwise projects an abhorrence of corruption. Take a dose of the prescription you proffer comrade, as it is still not too late to retrace your steps.

37 Likes

Re: Protesters Disrupt Oduah’s Award Ceremony In London by thewarrior72: 9:40am On Nov 30, 2013
undecidedShame, the daughters of a Awo has taken their rascality to even foreign land....shame

Anyways, a snake does not give birth to something that is not long.

4 Likes

Re: Protesters Disrupt Oduah’s Award Ceremony In London by gurnam: 9:42am On Nov 30, 2013
eGuerrilla:

That fact that you have summoned clannish sentiments to defend Madam Oduah since this story first broke, is most unbecoming of someone who otherwise projects an abhorrence of corruption. Take a dose of prescription you proffer comrade, as it is still not too late to retrace your steps.

It would have been better for him to remain mute...rather than give a support to clear malfeasance .

He claims to be working against corruption on one hand...but here clearly working over drive to clear this woman.

He should leave this sort of job to Sincere9igerian...and PointB

4 Likes

Re: Protesters Disrupt Oduah’s Award Ceremony In London by thewarrior72: 9:50am On Nov 30, 2013
SLIDE waxie: your first point said u are a fool!!!

Think abt 'why'?
undecided
Re: Protesters Disrupt Oduah’s Award Ceremony In London by 2old4that(m): 9:58am On Nov 30, 2013
If our corrupt leaders are condemned like this both home and abroad, they won't have where to run to.

7 Likes

Re: Protesters Disrupt Oduah’s Award Ceremony In London by slimfit1(m): 10:04am On Nov 30, 2013
the warrior72: undecidedShame, the daughters of a Awo has taken their rascality to even foreign land....shame

Anyways, a snake does not give birth to something that is not long.

What happened to Zik my guy. You sound like a silly brainless id*iot would you give your real name in this circumstances. At least they are fighting for something what are your people fighting for ?

6 Likes

Re: Protesters Disrupt Oduah’s Award Ceremony In London by nerodenero: 10:26am On Nov 30, 2013
Tolexander: bro, i refuse to believe this award is ethnic oriented but see it as a group that need money from these honourees. Guess you missed where Gov Mukhtar Ramalan Yero of Kaduna state was honoured or is kaduna in the south east?
I saw that too and your submission cant be ruled as well but my case is that most of the awards are given with sentiments based on ethnic lines.This calls to question how credible these awards are!
Re: Protesters Disrupt Oduah’s Award Ceremony In London by rozayx5(m): 10:44am On Nov 30, 2013
if Stella was from sw.. this issue would have since died down undecided

2 Likes

Re: Protesters Disrupt Oduah’s Award Ceremony In London by Codedrock(m): 10:46am On Nov 30, 2013
Re: Protesters Disrupt Oduah’s Award Ceremony In London by Cubeet: 10:46am On Nov 30, 2013
let's forget about her tribe or ethnic group. The fact is that she was linked with corruption.ASUU is on strike while a single person is acquiring two bullet proof cars whether as gift or grant, i dont knw for them. Nigerians are in the street begging and suffering.Her regime as minister of Aviation, is the worse ever. Our airspace is no longer safe. I know she is not the only corrupt leader in office, but she should be use as a scapegoat. Let begin to fight against corruption and forget whether she is frm sw, ss, or se.

9 Likes

Re: Protesters Disrupt Oduah’s Award Ceremony In London by seangy4konji: 10:48am On Nov 30, 2013
Person weh soppose deh jail na hiin dem deh give award too...SMH for NIGERIA...That GEJ is just clueless and brainless...Useless,shameless Government run by thieves and corrupt no God fearing animals in human clothing!!!

1 Like

Re: Protesters Disrupt Oduah’s Award Ceremony In London by Nobody: 10:49am On Nov 30, 2013
You guys and tribal bigotry.....isnt it a known fact that the yorubas know how to weed outcorruption even when its their own that is corrupt?

Didnt obasanjo chase tafa? Who has jonathan condemned?

4 Likes

Re: Protesters Disrupt Oduah’s Award Ceremony In London by Nobody: 10:49am On Nov 30, 2013
rozayx5: if Stella was from sw.. this issue would have since died down undecided
Do u mind d Ingrates...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Immigration Officers And TRAFFIC Officers Clash In Ogun (PHOTOS) / Eberechi Suzzette Nyesom-Wike's 44th Birthday Celebrated In Grand Style - Pics / Photos Of Ongoing Road Rehabilitation By Federal Government. #FGatWork

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.