Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,641 members, 7,809,404 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:02 AM

RIP More Relevant Than Heaven Or Hell. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / RIP More Relevant Than Heaven Or Hell. (3062 Views)

The Catholic Pope Francis- There Is No Heaven Or Hell And Adam And Eve Not Real / Women In Trousers: Heaven Or Hell / Will Mad People Go To Heaven Or Hell? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

RIP More Relevant Than Heaven Or Hell. by Nobody: 1:07pm On Dec 01, 2013
Do you know that saying RIP when someone dies is more of an accurate reflection of the state of the dead than other statements such as our loved ones have gone to be with the lord or the wicked ones are in hell.

No one except Jesus has gone to be with the Lord.

The dead are RIP , i.e resting in total peace, in fact so peaceful that they do not even know what is going on, they are stone dead.

So next time a pastor spouts lies about someone going to heaven after death or hell, tell him it is not true and he is lying.
Re: RIP More Relevant Than Heaven Or Hell. by uboma(m): 1:40pm On Dec 01, 2013
Personally, I don't use the phrase 'rest in peace' but I also don't believe it when self acclaimed men of God fill the ears of those who have failed to research on the scriptures themselves, that a loved one who is late has gone to rest in the bosom of the Lord/in Heaven and for those who were unrepentant sinners, that they have gone to hell fire.

I believe that someone who dies goes back to the dust (from where he was created from) as pointed out from the Bible.

Sometimes I wonder why someone will say to a family who has lost their child that God has called that little child to be with Him in Heaven. Is God that selfish to take away that child (probably the only child in the family)?

Or someone who is the breadwinner in the family dies and the next thing you hear is that he/she has gone to the Heaven. And one thing that bothers me the most is that the family of such breadwinner continues to suffer untold hardship. What happens to the beloved breadwinner who is watching them from Heaven, why can't he help his family?

So many lies being told in churches today, that I don't even bother attending any of them.

4 Likes

Re: RIP More Relevant Than Heaven Or Hell. by Nobody: 1:55pm On Dec 01, 2013
uboma:
So many lies being told in churches today, that I don't even bother attending any of them.

Still important to meet up with true believers for fellowship , it does not have to be in a 'church' setting.
Re: RIP More Relevant Than Heaven Or Hell. by koolJ1(f): 3:18pm On Dec 01, 2013
frosbel:

Still important to meet up with true believers for fellowship , it does not have to be in a 'church' setting.

Well if he's meeting up with fellow 'true believers' then it is a church, be it under a tree or in an eatery
Re: RIP More Relevant Than Heaven Or Hell. by haibe(m): 3:23pm On Dec 01, 2013
kool J:

Well if he's meeting up with fellow 'true believers' then it is a church, be it under a tree or in an eatery

you know what he means by church setting?

Church as an institution.
Re: RIP More Relevant Than Heaven Or Hell. by haibe(m): 3:27pm On Dec 01, 2013
uboma:

I am of the school of thought who believe that no church(as an institution) is perfect. . just attend the one you think is more closer to scriptural truths and leave the rest of the lies they tell..

its actually very good to be in the midst of believers.
Re: RIP More Relevant Than Heaven Or Hell. by smoy: 3:29pm On Dec 01, 2013
So what was the teaching of bible about these options or is just wat you think of yourself?
Re: RIP More Relevant Than Heaven Or Hell. by haibe(m): 3:34pm On Dec 01, 2013
frosbel: Do you know that saying RIP when someone dies is more of an accurate reflection of the state of the dead than other statements such as our loved ones have gone to be with the lord or the wicked ones are in hell.

The dead are RIP , i.e resting in total peace, in fact so peaceful that they do not even know what is going on, they are stone dead.

So next time a pastor spouts lies about someone going to heaven after death or hell, tell him it is not true and he is lying.

yes this is a misunderstanding that so many christians have..

When one dies,he goes straight to the grave and becomes unconscious, his thoughts perish. His only hope of living again is at the resurrection. Could be resurrection to eternal life or resurrection to eternal death/damnation.

No Saint dies and go to heaven immediately, he rests in peace in the grave till Christ's second coming. ..

People who think one goes to meet the lord immediately he dies are indoctrinated with the "Immortality of the soul/spirit" doctrine which is a lie from the devil.

1 Like

Re: RIP More Relevant Than Heaven Or Hell. by Nobody: 4:41pm On Dec 01, 2013
smoy: So what was the teaching of bible about these options or is just wat you think of yourself?

the bible teaching is that MAN goes back to dust after death and his spirit, i.e the breath or life of GOD in him ( which is a gift ) goes back to GOD.

"When you hide your face, they are terrified; when you take away their breath, they die and return to the dust." - Psalm 104:29

1 Like

Re: RIP More Relevant Than Heaven Or Hell. by smoy: 5:42pm On Dec 01, 2013
frosbel:

the bible teaching is that MAN goes back to dust after death and his spirit, i.e the breath or life of GOD in him ( which is a gift ) goes back to GOD.

"When you hide your face, they are terrified; when you take away their breath, they die and return to the dust." - Psalm 104:29
. Sure but query here is to know if praying for the dead man maters bc many christian will say you don't pray for him then if so why RIP since its also a prayer and morover someone can only rest in peace if only he practice the way of his master, thanks
Re: RIP More Relevant Than Heaven Or Hell. by haibe(m): 6:15pm On Dec 01, 2013
smoy: . Sure but query here is to know if praying for the dead man maters bc many christian will say you don't pray for him then if so why RIP since its also a prayer and morover someone can only rest in peace if only he practice the way of his master, thanks

All dead people, whether saints or sinners become unconscious when they die, this unconscious state is a state of peace and so saying rest in peace is just right.

However this doesn't mean the unbelievers will continue to rest in peace, they will still ressurect to eternal damnation, yes they will be destroyed in the lake of fire eternally and they will be dead forever, this is the second death.

The saints on the other hand would ressurect to eternal life and will dwell in paradise forever and ever with God, no more death, no darkness for them, no suffering.

This is what the bible teaches.
Re: RIP More Relevant Than Heaven Or Hell. by nlMediator: 7:19am On Dec 03, 2013
frosbel: Do you know that saying RIP when someone dies is more of an accurate reflection of the state of the dead than other statements such as our loved ones have gone to be with the lord or the wicked ones are in hell.

Of what use is a wish or prayer to rest in peace if you believe the people are already resting in peace? It’s like telling Bill Gates that you pray for him to be rich today. And since you believe that every dead person goes straight to rest, why are you encouraging people to wish them peace – won’t peace be the result regardless of anyone’s wish, according to you?

More substantively, when people die, their physical part goes to sleep while their spirit lives on. In Matt. 22:31-33, Jesus said that God is the God of the living, not of the dead when referring to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob who had been physically dead hundreds of years before. [“I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.”]

When Stephen was about to be stoned, he prayed that Jesus should receive his spirit. Acts 7:59. Jesus did not respond that Stephen should wait for thousands of years after judgment. Stephen would have been completely ignorant to make such a prayer or plea if he knew that his spirit would go to sleep and away from Jesus for thousands of years. Acts 7:60 says that Stephen fell asleep, that is, his body.

In Phil. 1:23, Paul said: “For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better . . . .” He did not say that when he departs this earth, he would go to sleep and wait for thousands of years. Instead, he said that being with Christ would follow his departure.

3 Likes

Re: RIP More Relevant Than Heaven Or Hell. by haibe(m): 7:28am On Dec 03, 2013
How can a physical part which is not a person go to sleep, do you think you are in a literature class here? why the personification?

If the person is still living on when he dies, then don't say he is asleep, that's contradictory.

The bible teaches that the person himself goes to sleep, not just a physical part.

1 Like

Re: RIP More Relevant Than Heaven Or Hell. by Nobody: 9:01am On Dec 03, 2013
haibe: How can a physical part which is not a person go to sleep, do you think you are in a literature class here? why the personification?

If the person is still living on when he dies, then don't say he is asleep, that's contradictory.

The bible teaches that the person himself goes yo sleep, not just a physical part.

1000 likes.

They also deny the resurrection by saying a person is still alive after death.

2 Likes

Re: RIP More Relevant Than Heaven Or Hell. by haibe(m): 9:17am On Dec 03, 2013
frosbel:

1000 likes.

They also deny the resurrection by saying a person is still alive after death.

That is the most painful of them all because if a man still lives after death, what is the need for the ressurection? Infact there would be no need for Christ to ressurect too if he can continue living after death.

The reason why paul consoled the Christians with ressurection is because that is our only hope of living again, we don't have an immoral spirit in us that can live separately from the body.

29 Now if there is no resurrection, what will
those do who are baptized for the dead? If the
dead are not raised at all, why are people
baptized for them? 30 And as for us, why do
we endanger ourselves every hour? 31 I face
death every day—yes, just as surely as I boast
about you in Christ Jesus our Lord. 32 If I
fought wild beasts in Ephesus with no more than
human hopes, what have I gained? If the dead
are not raised,

“Let us eat and drink,
for tomorrow we die.

This verses alone shows that ressurection is our hope of believers to live again, if there is no ressurection paul says there is no need to endanger our lives everyday because we will end up dying without waking up again.

If truly man has an immortal spirit in him that can live eternally, then the ressurection is useless and what paul has said is meaninglessness too.

1 Like

Re: RIP More Relevant Than Heaven Or Hell. by nlMediator: 4:45pm On Dec 03, 2013
haibe: How can a physical part which is not a person go to sleep, do you think you are in a literature class here? why the personification?

The bible teaches that the person himself goes to sleep, not just a physical part.

There is no contradiction. The Bible teaches nowhere that the person himself goes to sleep. Every time the Bible refers to a person sleeping and you look at the context, it's always about the physical body and nothing more. The simple question is: was Jesus lying or confused when He said Abraham, Isaac and Jacob were living? His audience knew that those men were physically dead. So, in what way were they living? Spiritually, of course.

1 Like

Re: RIP More Relevant Than Heaven Or Hell. by nlMediator: 4:50pm On Dec 03, 2013
haibe:

That is the most painful of them all because if a man still lives after death, what is the need for the ressurection? Infact there would be no need for Christ to ressurect too if he can continue living after death.

The reason why paul consoled the Christians with ressurection is because that is our only hope of living again, we don't have an immoral spirit in us that can live separately from the body.

29 Now if there is no resurrection, what will
those do who are baptized for the dead? If the
dead are not raised at all, why are people
baptized for them? 30 And as for us, why do
we endanger ourselves every hour? 31 I face
death every day—yes, just as surely as I boast
about you in Christ Jesus our Lord. 32 If I
fought wild beasts in Ephesus with no more than
human hopes, what have I gained? If the dead
are not raised,

“Let us eat and drink,
for tomorrow we die.

This verses alone shows that ressurection is our hope of believers to live again, if there is no ressurection paul says there is no need to endanger our lives everyday because we will end up dying without waking up again.

If truly man has an immortal spirit in him that can live eternally, then the ressurection is useless and what paul has said is meaninglessness too.

The resurrection is of the body. The spirit will be joined with the body upon resurrection. The body can exist apart from the spirit. James said it. When the spirit leaves the body, the body is dead, according to James. So Paul did not believe in resurrection when he said that he wanted to depart and be with Christ? Or are you suggesting that he was saying that he would depart today but be with Christ thousands of years later? That makes no sense, if you read the full paragraph. Of course another thing you uphold that makes no sense at all is wishing people to rest in peace when you claim they are already resting in peace. Again, was Stephen ignorant when he asked Jesus to receive his spirit as he was about to die?

1 Like

Re: RIP More Relevant Than Heaven Or Hell. by demola21(m): 5:46pm On Dec 03, 2013
Omo am so so speechless. What is this you guys are saying?. Pls show me where in the bible says when a person dies he goes to rest in peace. (human ideology if you ask me)
Re: RIP More Relevant Than Heaven Or Hell. by demola21(m): 5:52pm On Dec 03, 2013
Acts 7verse 59. Stephen was asking Jesus to receive his spirit, why didn't he ask for peace.
Re: RIP More Relevant Than Heaven Or Hell. by demola21(m): 5:55pm On Dec 03, 2013
And don.t forget about the story of lazarus and the rich man which Jesus narrated himself, rich man went to hell while lazarus went to Abraham's bosom. Except you want to tell me that the wisest man in history is confuse
Re: RIP More Relevant Than Heaven Or Hell. by Nobody: 6:21pm On Dec 03, 2013
demola21: Acts 7verse 59. Stephen was asking Jesus to receive his spirit, why didn't he ask for peace.

receive back the life God gave him , which is not a person. Jesus made the same statement on the day he died but he did not go to Heaven , did he ?
Re: RIP More Relevant Than Heaven Or Hell. by Nobody: 6:22pm On Dec 03, 2013
demola21: And don.t forget about the story of lazarus and the rich man which Jesus narrated himself, rich man went to hell while lazarus went to Abraham's bosom. Except you want to tell me that the wisest man in history is confuse

this was a parable.
Re: RIP More Relevant Than Heaven Or Hell. by Image123(m): 6:31pm On Dec 03, 2013
frosb and his meaningless half truths sha. NLmed well done oh. Folks take this frosb with a pinch of salt even if you know nothing. He is not ready or interested in going to heaven so do not let him mislead you. Yes, feel free to ask/confirm from frosb. He has no plans or interest in heaven.
Jesus told a man that they would be together in paradise. Paul talked about departing to be WITH THE Lord. i wonder why frosb thinks that impossible that it is only Jesus.

1 Like

Re: RIP More Relevant Than Heaven Or Hell. by Nobody: 6:34pm On Dec 03, 2013
^^^

Did Jesus go to heaven on the day he died ?
Re: RIP More Relevant Than Heaven Or Hell. by Image123(m): 6:34pm On Dec 03, 2013
frosbel:

receive back the life God gave him , which is not a person. Jesus made the same statement on the day he died but he did not go to Heaven , did he ?

What do you think, His thoughts perished?
Re: RIP More Relevant Than Heaven Or Hell. by Nobody: 6:35pm On Dec 03, 2013
Image123:
What do you think, His thoughts perished?

see my question posed earlier.

Did Jesus go to heaven, i.e his spirit on the day he died ?
Re: RIP More Relevant Than Heaven Or Hell. by Image123(m): 6:36pm On Dec 03, 2013
frosbel:

Re: RIP More Relevant Than Heaven Or Hell. by Nobody: 6:53pm On Dec 03, 2013
^^

I will wait for you to ask your pastor and come back with an answer, no hurry.
Re: RIP More Relevant Than Heaven Or Hell. by haibe(m): 7:01pm On Dec 03, 2013
nlMediator:

There is no contradiction. The Bible teaches nowhere that the person himself goes to sleep. Every time the Bible refers to a person sleeping and you look at the context, it's always about the physical body and nothing more. The simple question is: was Jesus lying or confused when He said Abraham, Isaac and Jacob were living? His audience knew that those men were physically dead. So, in what way were they living? Spiritually, of course.

And MANY OF THEM THAT SLEEP
in the dust of the
earth shall awake, some
to everlasting life, and
some to shame and
everlasting contempt. (daniel 12:2)

"Marvel not at this– for the hour is
coming, in which ALL WHO ARE IN THE GRAVE SHALL HEAR HIS VOICE– and
SHALL COME.FORTH; THOSE WHO HAVE DONE GOOD unto the resurrection of
life ; and THOSE WHO HAVE DONE EVIL
unto the resurrection of
damnation ." John 5:28-29

This verses are definitely not referring to just a body but the person as a whole, yes that person who is dead.

1 Like

Re: RIP More Relevant Than Heaven Or Hell. by Image123(m): 7:01pm On Dec 03, 2013
oh, thank you for the patience, you are improving. Please send me recharge card to call my pastor.

frosbel: ^^^

Did Jesus go to heaven on the day he died ?
i asked you question too. Please answer, i will answer your question.
What do you think, His thoughts perished when He died?
Re: RIP More Relevant Than Heaven Or Hell. by Nobody: 7:03pm On Dec 03, 2013
Image123: oh, thank you for the patience, you are improving. Please send me recharge card to call my pastor.

i asked you question too. Please answer, i will answer your question.
What do you think, His thoughts perished when He died?

courtesy demands that you respond first since I asked the first question.
Re: RIP More Relevant Than Heaven Or Hell. by haibe(m): 7:14pm On Dec 03, 2013
nlMediator:

The resurrection is of the body. The spirit will be joined with the body upon resurrection. The body can exist apart from the spirit. James said it. When the spirit leaves the body, the body is dead, according to James. So Paul did not believe in resurrection when he said that he wanted to depart and be with Christ? Or are you suggesting that he was saying that he would depart today but be with Christ thousands of years later? That makes no sense, if you read the full paragraph. Of course another thing you uphold that makes no sense at all is wishing people to rest in peace when you claim they are already resting in peace. Again, was Stephen ignorant when he asked Jesus to receive his spirit as he was about to die?

Your misunderstanding is the word spirit. The Greek word translated spirit is pneuma which could mean breath, air, wind..etc.

The spirit in man is not a person, its what keeps us alive, the Spirit in man is also described as the candle of God in man, it connects us to God but No where does the bible say the Spirit in man can exist as a seperate entity(person) from the body or immortal.

If paul says he wants to depart to meet God, he isn't saying he will meet God immediately he dies but when he dies, his next consciousness will be with God and so it's as good as dieing and being with God immediately.

Scripture clearly tells us that at death we cease
to know anything. The dead are unconscious and
unaware.

All our emotions, thoughts, knowledge
and feelings go to the grave with us. No
consciousness continues living in another place or state. We do not have an immortal soul that goes on living somewhere else

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

If Death Is A Ticket To Heaven Why Are So Many Believers Scared Of Dying / Atheists/theists: Is Morality Subjective Or Objective? / COVID Vaccine Will Work With Nano-chips, 5G To Control You – Chris Oyakhilome

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.