Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,288 members, 7,839,429 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 06:57 PM

8 Laptop Components You Should Know - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / 8 Laptop Components You Should Know (24409 Views)

15 Keyboard Shortcuts Every Computer Geek Should Know / Download Showbox For Pc Windows 8 Laptop Iphone / Windows 8 Laptop Connected To Internet But Cannot Browse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by Nobody: 4:51pm On Dec 04, 2013
uba okeke:

Most nigerian Ladies don't knw their RAM size. Nor processor speed. They just want a laptop for show off. This also implies to smartfones!! Dey all want an IPHONE 5 yet have no clue or what it does!. Am vexing! I just got one of my ladies and she's asking me how to turn it on. Lol
i no understand,abeg u miss road?
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by imperiouxx(m): 4:54pm On Dec 04, 2013
Ki-Katanga:

Not much use in a Laptop...

Though it depends on what the laptop is used for. In most cases, they are the power behind high graphic rendering laptops. AMD is their follower.
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by KiKatanga: 4:58pm On Dec 04, 2013
imperiouxx:

Though it depends on what the laptop is used for. In most cases, they are the power behind high graphic rendering laptops. AMD is their follower.

NVidia do make some embedded and laptop graphics cards, but he listed a load of desktop/workstation Pci express cards, is all.
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by Jossy07(m): 5:03pm On Dec 04, 2013
@ O P wat could have happen to my PC ports they are not charging my phone.quick respond will be highlly appreciated
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by Waspy(m): 5:15pm On Dec 04, 2013
Pls can the graphics card in a laptop be changed? Or is it only possible with desktops?
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by imperiouxx(m): 5:18pm On Dec 04, 2013
Waspy: Pls can the graphics card in a laptop be changed? Or is it only possible with desktops?

Yes, only for desktop. In laptops, they are built on the board. But if you have access to customize your new laptop, you can add any GC you like for an extra fee. Just a marketing strategy.

1 Like

Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by unitedread1(m): 5:21pm On Dec 04, 2013
nairaman66:

The difference between IDE and SATA is that SATA cables are only 7 pins wide compared to the IDE Ribbon Cable which is 40 pins. SATA transfers data faster than IDE. IDE connects two drives to the motherboard while the SATA cable connects only one hard drive to the motherboard. I hope this helps..
Yeah sure it helps....though i could only make sense out of the "SATA transfer data faster than IDE" part...OSE! kiss
nairaman66:

The difference between IDE and SATA is that SATA cables are only 7 pins wide compared to the IDE Ribbon Cable which is 40 pins. SATA transfers data faster than IDE. IDE connects two drives to the motherboard while the SATA cable connects only one hard drive to the motherboard. I hope this helps..
Yeah sure it helps....though i could only make sense out of the "SATA transfer data faster than IDE" part...OSE!
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by damerry(m): 5:41pm On Dec 04, 2013
Nice
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by godman01(m): 5:52pm On Dec 04, 2013
abatajjvii: let me check mine to see if all the mentioned above dey my own
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by Bright4(m): 6:04pm On Dec 04, 2013
Good to knw...thax.
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by Nobody: 6:04pm On Dec 04, 2013
Nice one OP
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by Habidab: 6:50pm On Dec 04, 2013
Good thread honestly
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by delpharm(m): 7:09pm On Dec 04, 2013
Am getting HP 630 hw good is it?
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by amaboy06(m): 7:11pm On Dec 04, 2013
@OP, I'm planing to get a HP ENVY M6 by next year, just want to know if its good..and should it be an INTEL or AMD board?(gaming & designing tinz)
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by iswallker(m): 7:51pm On Dec 04, 2013
The interface on your hard drive or optical drive. SATA is more recent than IDE therefore its faster. Not to bore you with technical details.

unitedread1: Can any one please help on what's the difference btw the the SATA nd the IDE hard disk?
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by ninja4life(m): 8:06pm On Dec 04, 2013
marvelito:
i have pes2013 in my system. but i cab only play some games. and each time i try to do formation it hooks. and display that my lapi those not meet the vitual vidoe watever specification. is there a way to increase or improve this video vitual card stuff?
some1 should answer dis question na.i also hav pes 2013 on my lappy but cant play some parts there due to some jargons dat show up b4 i launch d game
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by godwinony(m): 8:37pm On Dec 04, 2013
uba okeke:

Most nigerian Ladies don't knw their RAM size. Nor processor speed. They just want a laptop for show off. This also implies to smartfones!! Dey all want an IPHONE 5 yet have no clue or what it does!. Am vexing! I just got one of my ladies and she's asking me how to turn it on. Lol
yes o..na so my sister go buy Hp envy of 136k..just to use watch dvds and check mail..i no fit vex. You need to see the way she called me when her laptop boot into safemode. Smh.

2 Likes

Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by khattab02: 8:45pm On Dec 04, 2013
weldone! op. Nice post. Ma check mine hope e never dey outdated ......... Ooops! Short of some infos there.

1 Like

Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by Rexyl(m): 9:21pm On Dec 04, 2013
@Op. nice info
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by holarthayor(m): 9:22pm On Dec 04, 2013
Plz can I upgrade my hp nc 6320 harddrive because it come wit just 60gig and I nid sometin like 320 or 500gig and d ram from 2gig to 4gid hp it will not affect d performance of the system.
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by Dawatech(m): 10:22pm On Dec 04, 2013
Nt all, but you did a great work
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by Shedysworld(m): 10:43pm On Dec 04, 2013
bobo65:

INTEL is better than AMD, using amd now and it boils like Bleep, almost burnt my foam, amd stands for advance micro devices, but ill say it stands for american division cos its suitable for the weather there

in all. intel is okay for a regular nigerian, amd is cool for those that have air condition around them because if amd stays in high temperatures for a long time, it tends to malfunction
Fact Amd is better used under cool conditions as compared to intel that works under any weather condition, but you did not state any advantage of Amd boards.
For me have used both intel and Amd, but I personally prefer Amd cos of it's superior graphics quality.
Tips- to enjoy using your Amd laptop, without bothering about it being hot, always place on a lifted surface (like placing a thick book under the laptop) to give space for the fan to receive adequate air.

1 Like

Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by bobo65(m): 10:55pm On Dec 04, 2013
Shedysworld:
Fact Amd is better used under cool conditions as compared to intel that works under any weather condition, but you did not state any advantage of Amd boards.
For me have used both intel and Amd, but I personally prefer Amd cos of it's superior graphics quality.
Tips- to enjoy using your Amd laptop, without bothering about it being hot, always place on a lifted surface (like placing a thick book under the laptop) to give space for the fan to receive adequate air.

doing that ryt now, using my big bible as a support, hope it aint bad?
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by masciv: 1:02am On Dec 05, 2013
amaboy06: @OP, I'm planing to get a HP ENVY M6 by next year, just want to know if its good..and should it be an INTEL or AMD board?(gaming & designing tinz)

Its a wonderful system.I loved it the very day I saw it.The common spec would be:

Microprocessor 2.50GHz 3rd generation Intel
Core i5-3210M Processor with
Turbo Boost Technology up to
3.10GHz

Memory 8GB DDR3 SDRAM (2 DIMM)
Memory Max Maximum supported = 16GB
Memory Slots 2 user accessible

Video Graphics Intel HD graphics 4000 with up to
1696MB total graphics memory
Display 15.6-inch diagonal HD

Bright view LED-backlit display
(1366x768)

Hard Drive 750GB 5400RPM hard drive with
HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive
Protection

Multimedia Drive SuperMulti DVD burner

Network Card 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet
LAN (RJ-45 connector)
Wireless
Connectivity
802.11b/g/n WLAN

Sound Beats Audio dual speakers and a
subwoofer

Keyboard Full-size island-style keyboard

Pointing Device Touchpad supporting multi-
touch gestures with on/off
button

External Ports Multi-Format Digital Media Card
Reader for Secure Digital cards
& Multimedia cards
3 SuperSpeed USB 3.0
1 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0
1 HDMI
1 VGA (15-pin)
1 RJ-45 (LAN)
1 Headphone-out/Microphone-
in combo jack

Dimensions 14.94 in (W) x 9.87 in (D) x 0 .87
in (min H)/ 1.04 in (max H)
Weight 5.29 lb

Power 65W AC adapter
6-cell 62WHr 2.8 Ah lithium-ion
battery

ID Mech Description

HP TrueVision HD Webcam with
integrated dual array digital
microphone

HP SimplePass with integrated
fingerprint reader

Another Spec of a different model is:

Microprocessor 2.3GHz up to 3.2GHz AMD
Quad-Core A10-4600M
Accelerated Processor

Microprocessor
Cache 4MB L2 Cache

Memory 6GB DDR3 SDRAM (2 DIMM)
Memory Slots 2 user accessible

Video Graphics AMD Radeon HD 7660G
Discrete-Class graphics and up
to 3053MB total graphics
memory

Display 15.6-inch diagonal HD
BrightView LED-backlit display
(1366x768)

Hard Drive 750GB 5400RPM hard drive with
HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive
Protection

Multimedia Drive SuperMulti DVD burner

Network Card 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet
LAN (RJ-45 connector)
Wireless
Connectivity
802.11b/g/n WLAN

Sound Beats Audio dual speakers and
a subwoofer

Keyboard Full-size island-style backlit
keyboard with numeric keypad

Pointing Device Touchpad supporting multi-
touch gestures with on/off
button

External Ports Multi-Format Digital Media Card
Reader for Secure Digital cards
& Multimedia cards
3 SuperSpeed USB 3.0
1 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0
1 HDMI
1 VGA (15-pin)
1 RJ-45 (LAN)
1 Headphone-out/Microphone-
in combo jack

Dimensions 0.87 in (min H) / 1.04 in (max H)
x 14.94 in (W) x 9.87 in (D)
Weight 5.29 lb

Power 65W AC adapter
6-cell 62WHr 2.8 Ah lithium-ion
battery

ID Mech Description:

HP TrueVision HD Webcam with
integrated dual array digital
microphone

HP SimplePass with integrated
fingerprint reader
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by Undilutedfact: 1:10am On Dec 05, 2013
OP...nice 1....can the Graphics card be upgraded the way the RAM is done?
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by masciv: 1:24am On Dec 05, 2013
Undilutedfact: OP...nice 1....can the Graphics card be upgraded the way the RAM is done?

No.Unlike the Ram,it can't be upgraded as it's integrated into the board being that it's a laptop but desktops have the space and slots for upgrading or exchanging the follow come graphics card
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by paranorman(m): 8:48am On Dec 05, 2013
bobo65:

INTEL is better than AMD, using amd now and it boils like Bleep, almost burnt my foam, amd stands for advance micro devices, but ill say it stands for american division cos its suitable for the weather there

in all. intel is okay for a regular nigerian, amd is cool for those that have air condition around them because if amd stays in high temperatures for a long time, it tends to malfunction

thanks.... But its not advicable to put ur system on the foam while usin it. Could block adequate vent consequentially boilin up rhe machine.

1 Like

Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by Habidab: 9:18am On Dec 05, 2013
bobo65:

doing that ryt now, using my big bible as a support, hope it aint bad?
I don't just know what you people think or make up with the words of Almighty God/sacred book,most expecially the Christians.why will you place any anything on your BIBLE not even an exercise book.
That is one of the badest thing one can do,and its very sinful even though I might not have enough qoute to back it up.you are beratting the word of God.
Usually antime I go to my friends house,I am the one that correct them and remove any material they place on their bible...Oga if you have been doing that before...stop it
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by tomzman: 12:07pm On Dec 05, 2013
Nice one OP. This is the kind of thread that suits fp.
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by bobo65(m): 3:47pm On Dec 05, 2013
Habidab:
I don't just know what you people think or make up with the words of Almighty God/sacred book,most expecially the Christians.why will you place any anything on your BIBLE not even an exercise book.
That is one of the badest thing one can do,and its very sinful even though I might not have enough qoute to back it up.you are beratting the word of God.
Usually antime I go to my friends house,I am the one that correct them and remove any material they place on their bible...Oga if you have been doing that before...stop it

i feel so ashamed cos u are a muslim
anyways i just bought a big notebook
dat will do d trick
thanks anyway

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Visafone Internet Configuration! Help / Top Ten Best Antivirus In The World / Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.