Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,165 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:57 AM

8 Laptop Components You Should Know - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / 8 Laptop Components You Should Know (24398 Views)

15 Keyboard Shortcuts Every Computer Geek Should Know / Download Showbox For Pc Windows 8 Laptop Iphone / Windows 8 Laptop Connected To Internet But Cannot Browse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

8 Laptop Components You Should Know by ozoneprince(m): 8:09pm On Dec 02, 2013
Choosing a laptop that suits your needs is more than simply getting the right specification for the right price. Unlike a desktop PC, you can’t easily add a new screen or keyboard, so it’s best to choose a good one from the start. 20 questions to ask before buying a laptop or things to consider before buying a laptop If you get the chance, go to a superstore and physically test out the machines on offer. What makes a good laptop? It’s [center]the combination of quality components and a well design. Here are a few components of a computer to be familiar with before buying a laptop :
EXTERNAL COMPONENTS
While a large part of buying a new laptop involves comparing internal components such as the processor and memory, you should also consider important factors such as build quality and usability. We thoroughly test our laptops to ensure they’re solidly built and don’t have any annoying quirks, but you should always try out a laptop in a store if possible, to ensure it feels right for you.that is why i made this 8 laptop components you should know

1. KEYBOARD : The keys on a laptop aren’t as big as those on a desktop PC and, depending on the size of the laptop, you may find the keyboard feels cramped. Keys should be well spaced and solidly mounted. If they rattle when you type, this is a sign of a poor keyboard
There are different styles of keyboard, such as the popular isolation-style, where each key is cut individually through a hole in the chassis. This is our preferred style as we feel it gives you more space when typing. Other features tolook out for are hotkeys – single-use keys around the main keyboard that allow you to launch your favourite software applications or control features such as brightness or volume. On some laptops, you might find the keyboard comes with a backlight that helps when working (or gaming) in the dark.
2. SCREEN : Traditionally, the size of a laptop is measured by its screen diameter - you will most commonly hear a laptop described as a 15.6-inch model, which is the standard size. You also have a choice of smaller screens at 13.3- inches or larger screens at 17.3 inches across.
3. PORTS : Laptops come with a wide variety of ports for attaching peripherals such as mice and external hard drives, as well as hooking up external displays or connecting to a local network. The most common laptop ports are shown in the my blog http://.com/8-laptop-components-you-should-know/
4. CD OR DVD OPTICAL DRIVE : The CD/DVD drive allows you to read/write data from/to a CD or DVD disc. Lear about the difference between drives with regular and SATA connectors.
INTERNAL COMPONENTS :
The inside of a laptop is made up of different components, each working together to run a program, load a web page or play a game. You’ll need a basic idea of what each one is in order to choose the right one for you.

5. HARD DRIVE : This is a disk that physically holds all your files and applications. Capacity is measured in Gigabytes (GB) and Terabytes (TB), with 1TB equal to 1000GB, and the larger the capacity the more you can store. As a rough guide, 250GB is enough space for over 60,000 songs or high-res photos, although remember that your Operating System and applications will take up a considerable amount of space too.
Back in the old days of buying a laptop, the size of the hard drive space was a key buying decision, nowadays it’s much less important. In plenty of electronics shops, you can buy external hard drives relatively cheaply. These will significantly boost your storage space and plug in via USB like any other peripheral.

6.PROCESSOR : This is the brain of the computer, which runs your programs and is capable of performing millions of calculations a second. You don’t necessarily have to have the fastest chip, but getting the latest technology means you’ll be able to run software faster.
The two big names in processors are Intel and AMD, chances are your laptop’s processor will be made by one of these two companies. Always check the processor on your potential purchase and make sure you’re getting the most advanced model for your money. This will benefit you in the future.

7. MEMORY : The second most important thing to look at after the processor is the memory, sometimes called RAM – for Random Access Memory. Accessing the hard drive is a rather slow process, so when the CPU needs to access data more quickly, the data is temporarily stored in fast-access volatile memory. The more memory your laptop has, the faster it can run. Realistically, we think you should aim for a minimum of 4GB of RAM, but we understand that budget can sometimes restrict this.
There is always the option to extend the RAM further down the line by buying more and adding it to your laptop. If you don’t feel comfortable doing this then plenty of electronics shops offer this service. However, we would certainly suggest trying to get as much as you can for your money in the first place. If it is a trade-off between memory and hard drive space, always go for the extra memory.

8. GRAPHICS : There are two types of laptop graphics available – integrated and dedicated – and getting the right one when you buy your laptop is vital. Integrated is the cheapest and is intended for running basic functions, so if you want to play games or run multimedia applications you’ll need a dedicated graphics card.
Even if you don’t play games, having a dedicated graphics card can be a good investment. It takes some of the grunt work involved in processing graphics away from the processor. So if you’re watching video, browsing a particularly graphical website or doing a spot of editing, the GPU will allow your computer to run faster. A word of warning though, a dedicated graphics card is likely to push the price of a laptop up quite heavily. This is a continuation of our previous post on things to consider before buying a laptop . do not hesitate to drop your comment on the comment box .expect more
you can also subscribe to our feed for any update
- See more bothy images at: http://.com/8-laptop-components-you-should-know/#sthash.cKtL4ACm.dpuf

4 Likes

Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by mopol2(m): 4:09pm On Dec 04, 2013
its ok ..good one
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by yorke1: 4:09pm On Dec 04, 2013
The dude above beat me to first to comment on this thread. Nice info OP considering the fact that it is coming at a time i want to buy a laptop. This info will go a long way in assisting me.
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by gen2briz(m): 4:11pm On Dec 04, 2013
ok

1 Like

Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by baggylips(m): 4:12pm On Dec 04, 2013
Kk
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by abatajjvii: 4:13pm On Dec 04, 2013
let me check mine to see if all the mentioned above dey my own
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by realone2012: 4:16pm On Dec 04, 2013
shocked

1 Like

Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by mrphysics(m): 4:16pm On Dec 04, 2013
that was a great write up, kudos, it really covers the important parts of a laptop, i think mine is up to a modern standard

1 Like

Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by Nobody: 4:17pm On Dec 04, 2013
Do some NL's rest at all??
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by pjecly: 4:17pm On Dec 04, 2013
Gud one guyssmiley
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by paranorman(m): 4:20pm On Dec 04, 2013
Oya, carry ur head come o OP. Which is better AMD or intell??! Heard one is faster and one boils up quicker than the other? Gimme thier ad and disad..
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by Dhortunn(m): 4:25pm On Dec 04, 2013
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by Dondave11: 4:26pm On Dec 04, 2013
Nice info..
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by Aliyubest(m): 4:26pm On Dec 04, 2013
Op , nice write up. U really tried in outlinin the basic matters to watchout fot when buyin a labtop but u fail to advice use on the particular quality. For example u mentioned 2 typs of keyboard ,2 producers of processor, 2 types of GPU, but u failed to advice us on which is best!!!
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by LogoDWhiz(m): 4:26pm On Dec 04, 2013
How will i know if its an integrated or dedicated garphics card? Is it written somewhere?
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by Dondave11: 4:27pm On Dec 04, 2013
This space is for sale. Contact me if u wanna buy..
Lol..
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by Nobody: 4:27pm On Dec 04, 2013
Sobby1: Do some NL's rest at all??

Most nigerian Ladies don't knw their RAM size. Nor processor speed. They just want a laptop for show off. This also implies to smartfones!! Dey all want an IPHONE 5 yet have no clue or what it does!. Am vexing! I just got one of my ladies and she's asking me how to turn it on. Lol

1 Like

Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by unitedread1(m): 4:30pm On Dec 04, 2013
Can any one please help on what's the difference btw the the SATA nd the IDE hard disk?
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by Adesam09(m): 4:31pm On Dec 04, 2013
Ok
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by marvelito: 4:34pm On Dec 04, 2013
ozoneprince: Choosing a laptop that suits your needs is more than simply getting the right specification for the right price. Unlike a desktop PC, you can’t easily add a new screen or keyboard, so it’s best to choose a good one from the start. 20 questions to ask before buying a laptop or things to consider before buying a laptop If you get the chance, go to a superstore and physically test out the machines on offer. What makes a good laptop? It’s [center]the combination of quality components and a well design. Here are a few components of a computer to be familiar with before buying a laptop :
EXTERNAL COMPONENTS
While a large part of buying a new laptop involves comparing internal components such as the processor and memory, you should also consider important factors such as build quality and usability. We thoroughly test our laptops to ensure they’re solidly built and don’t have any annoying quirks, but you should always try out a laptop in a store if possible, to ensure it feels right for you.that is why i made this 8 laptop components you should know

1. KEYBOARD : The keys on a laptop aren’t as big as those on a desktop PC and, depending on the size of the laptop, you may find the keyboard feels cramped. Keys should be well spaced and solidly mounted. If they rattle when you type, this is a sign of a poor keyboard
There are different styles of keyboard, such as the popular isolation-style, where each key is cut individually through a hole in the chassis. This is our preferred style as we feel it gives you more space when typing. Other features tolook out for are hotkeys – single-use keys around the main keyboard that allow you to launch your favourite software applications or control features such as brightness or volume. On some laptops, you might find the keyboard comes with a backlight that helps when working (or gaming) in the dark.
2. SCREEN : Traditionally, the size of a laptop is measured by its screen diameter - you will most commonly hear a laptop described as a 15.6-inch model, which is the standard size. You also have a choice of smaller screens at 13.3- inches or larger screens at 17.3 inches across.
3. PORTS : Laptops come with a wide variety of ports for attaching peripherals such as mice and external hard drives, as well as hooking up external displays or connecting to a local network. The most common laptop ports are shown in the my blog http://.com/8-laptop-components-you-should-know/
4. CD OR DVD OPTICAL DRIVE : The CD/DVD drive allows you to read/write data from/to a CD or DVD disc. Lear about the difference between drives with regular and SATA connectors.
INTERNAL COMPONENTS :
The inside of a laptop is made up of different components, each working together to run a program, load a web page or play a game. You’ll need a basic idea of what each one is in order to choose the right one for you.

5. HARD DRIVE : This is a disk that physically holds all your files and applications. Capacity is measured in Gigabytes (GB) and Terabytes (TB), with 1TB equal to 1000GB, and the larger the capacity the more you can store. As a rough guide, 250GB is enough space for over 60,000 songs or high-res photos, although remember that your Operating System and applications will take up a considerable amount of space too.
Back in the old days of buying a laptop, the size of the hard drive space was a key buying decision, nowadays it’s much less important. In plenty of electronics shops, you can buy external hard drives relatively cheaply. These will significantly boost your storage space and plug in via USB like any other peripheral.

6.PROCESSOR : This is the brain of the computer, which runs your programs and is capable of performing millions of calculations a second. You don’t necessarily have to have the fastest chip, but getting the latest technology means you’ll be able to run software faster.
The two big names in processors are Intel and AMD, chances are your laptop’s processor will be made by one of these two companies. Always check the processor on your potential purchase and make sure you’re getting the most advanced model for your money. This will benefit you in the future.

7. MEMORY : The second most important thing to look at after the processor is the memory, sometimes called RAM – for Random Access Memory. Accessing the hard drive is a rather slow process, so when the CPU needs to access data more quickly, the data is temporarily stored in fast-access volatile memory. The more memory your laptop has, the faster it can run. Realistically, we think you should aim for a minimum of 4GB of RAM, but we understand that budget can sometimes restrict this.
There is always the option to extend the RAM further down the line by buying more and adding it to your laptop. If you don’t feel comfortable doing this then plenty of electronics shops offer this service. However, we would certainly suggest trying to get as much as you can for your money in the first place. If it is a trade-off between memory and hard drive space, always go for the extra memory.

8. GRAPHICS : There are two types of laptop graphics available – integrated and dedicated – and getting the right one when you buy your laptop is vital. Integrated is the cheapest and is intended for running basic functions, so if you want to play games or run multimedia applications you’ll need a dedicated graphics card.
Even if you don’t play games, having a dedicated graphics card can be a good investment. It takes some of the grunt work involved in processing graphics away from the processor. So if you’re watching video, browsing a particularly graphical website or doing a spot of editing, the GPU will allow your computer to run faster. A word of warning though, a dedicated graphics card is likely to push the price of a laptop up quite heavily. This is a continuation of our previous post on things to consider before buying a laptop . do not hesitate to drop your comment on the comment box .expect more
you can also subscribe to our feed for any update
- See more bothy images at: http://.com/8-laptop-components-you-should-know/#sthash.cKtL4ACm.dpuf
i have pes2013 in my system. but i cab only play some games. and each time i try to do formation it hooks. and display that my lapi those not meet the vitual vidoe watever specification. is there a way to increase or improve this video vitual card stuff?
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by nairaman66(m): 4:35pm On Dec 04, 2013
In this 21st century.. these infos seems irrelevant! grin

Informative for the newbies though!
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by Waspy(m): 4:36pm On Dec 04, 2013
Nice one..... Would have helped better if you say wch examples are preferrable tho.... I wanna get a new laptop and making a choice is like Peter, the rock...hard. I need suggests pls
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by nairaman66(m): 4:37pm On Dec 04, 2013
unitedread1: Can any one please help on what's the difference btw the the SATA nd the IDE hard disk?

The difference between IDE and SATA is that SATA cables are only 7 pins wide compared to the IDE Ribbon Cable which is 40 pins. SATA transfers data faster than IDE. IDE connects two drives to the motherboard while the SATA cable connects only one hard drive to the motherboard. I hope this helps..

1 Like

Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by KiKatanga: 4:38pm On Dec 04, 2013
unitedread1: Can any one please help on what's the difference btw the the SATA nd the IDE hard disk?

Primarily just the Connection: PATA (which you call IDE) has pins which are easily bent, SATA has more robust contacts.

Other than that the technical side is that Sata sends a stream of information in a similar way to USB, while PATA is more akin to a Parallel Port.

Finally, SATA has far higher theoretical speeds.
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by KiKatanga: 4:39pm On Dec 04, 2013
Waspy: Nice one..... Would have helped better if you say wch examples are preferrable tho.... I wanna get a new laptop and making a choice is like Peter, the rock...hard. I need suggests pls

Most are roughly the same - depends what you need it for.
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by KiKatanga: 4:40pm On Dec 04, 2013
nairaman66: In this 21st century.. these infos seems irrelevant! grin

Informative for the newbies though!

How are they irrelevant? If you know them, fine but it's worthwhile knowledge for everyone.

1 Like

Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by imperiouxx(m): 4:43pm On Dec 04, 2013
Don't forget to look for one with any of these products or with nvidia logo kiss

Baddest graphics cards kiss

The first one is just $999.99

Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by bobo65(m): 4:43pm On Dec 04, 2013
paranorman: Oya, carry ur head come o OP. Which is better AMD or intell??! Heard one is faster and one boils up quicker than the other? Gimme thier ad and disad..

INTEL is better than AMD, using amd now and it boils like Bleep, almost burnt my foam, amd stands for advance micro devices, but ill say it stands for american division cos its suitable for the weather there

in all. intel is okay for a regular nigerian, amd is cool for those that have air condition around them because if amd stays in high temperatures for a long time, it tends to malfunction

2 Likes

Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by wheesin(m): 4:46pm On Dec 04, 2013
Hmmm.. Dont forget the motherboard and usb ports
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by boldsylvie(f): 4:49pm On Dec 04, 2013
Thanks for the info smiley
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by KiKatanga: 4:50pm On Dec 04, 2013
imperiouxx: Don't forget to look for one with this products or with nvidia logo kiss

Baddest graphic cards kiss

Not much use in a Laptop...
Re: 8 Laptop Components You Should Know by Jayses(m): 4:51pm On Dec 04, 2013
Is that all mtheeeeeeew

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Visafone Internet Configuration! Help / Top Ten Best Antivirus In The World / Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.