Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,961 members, 7,952,870 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 06:17 AM

What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area (43794 Views)

10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) / What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? / Taboos/abomination!: List Actions/deeds That Are Deemed Taboos In Your Culture. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by keithe2(m): 2:58pm On Dec 04, 2013
In orogun in delta state if u kill an iguana will do burial rite like its a human
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by battyman(m): 3:02pm On Dec 04, 2013
macof:

When Moses was making laws for the Jews did he come clean about it?

Didn't he claim Yahweh revealed them to him.

Pls stop ur hypocrisy

Where is this coming from?
Plenty of children on this thread. Bye bye
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by RedCard1(m): 3:37pm On Dec 04, 2013
macof:

Then kill urself and save urself the shame.

It's people like u that have problems but won't find solution
Useless bastard

it's your father that is a bastard. I know you come from Ndele too, do you like the fact they forbid all of those things?
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by debetmx(m): 3:43pm On Dec 04, 2013
Red_Card: it's your father that is a bastard. I know you come from Ndele too, do you like the fact they forbid all of those things?

Please lets be civil.
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Noneroone(m): 3:47pm On Dec 04, 2013
drnoel:

which idemili people are we talking about here cos there are more than 4 -5 idemili tribes in both Anambra and Imo as far as I can remember
We are obviously talking about the 17 communities which make up the present Idemmili North and south L G A of Anambra state. Idemmili derived from the name of the goddess of the river(idemmili river) which flows through these communities from Obosi. It was claimed that these pythons served as a messanger of this deity in the olden days, hence eke idemmili ( Idemmili python). It is a taboo to kill the pythons and what is more, they do not harm the natives. I could remember when my Grandmother ordered one out of our compound. The animal increased its pace until it left the viscinity.
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by AroOkigbo(m): 4:44pm On Dec 04, 2013
shejane:

Non Aros hardly marry Aros so is beta 4 Aro to marry Aro anywhere

Is even a taboo in my place 2 marry Aro, if u do u are automatically an outcast

Interesting.
And which is your place?
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Nobody: 5:22pm On Dec 04, 2013
TrishaP:

Hmm na wa o,.. I'm an Ikwerre girl but I've never heard such in my life.

lol but what of if u heard of it will you still see it as a taboo
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by TrishaP(f): 6:12pm On Dec 04, 2013
ikp4succes:

lol but what of if u heard of it will you still see it as a taboo

Lol,..Why not!! They should keep their taboos to themselves. IDC!!
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by MOORCHMOORE(m): 6:32pm On Dec 04, 2013
In Ebe Enugu State, removing head of a masquerade na confirm Taboo, impregnating of cousins or relation is a taboo.
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by xp17(m): 6:33pm On Dec 04, 2013
fruityjojo: In my village hmm its a taboo 2 sit on top of a mortal,
A taboo for two people walking 2gether 2 put sm1 coming from d opposite direction at d center! cheesy,
A taboo 4 a man 2 eat his wife's food after suspecting her of infidelity seen abt 3 men dead cos of dis & sum sickk untill d confession of d woman!
bini girl. I guess I'm 100% correct?
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Nobody: 6:36pm On Dec 04, 2013
TrishaP:

Lol,..Why not!! They should keep their taboos to themselves. IDC!!

So u done it before shocked
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by fruityjojo(f): 6:42pm On Dec 04, 2013
xp17: bini girl. I guess I'm 100% correct?
100% wrong!!! I am an Ishan girl!.
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by xp17(m): 7:00pm On Dec 04, 2013
fruityjojo:
100% wrong!!! I am an Ishan girl!.
there u go wrong, bini and esan re d same. Wen u trace history u wud see that d esan originated from d binis.

ESANgbEDO
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by macof(m): 7:12pm On Dec 04, 2013
Red_Card: it's your father that is a bastard. I know you come from Ndele too, do you like the fact they forbid all of those things?

No
I am Yoruba Ekiti

It's just stupid for someone to say u regret where u were born into especially on such foolish reasons as Taboos u don't like
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by fruityjojo(f): 7:48pm On Dec 04, 2013
xp17: there u go wrong, bini and esan re d same. Wen u trace history u wud see that d esan originated from d binis.

ESANgbEDO
All Men came from Adam abi? Does dat make u Scottish or German! Abeg I am not benin abeg I am Edo Esan!
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by gbaskiboy: 7:53pm On Dec 04, 2013
pendusky: grin grin abeg which village?
na hirunmole dey live for ur village. I bow for u ooo
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by xp17(m): 8:01pm On Dec 04, 2013
fruityjojo:
All Men came from Adam abi? Does dat make u Scottish or German! Abeg I am not benin abeg I am Edo Esan!
ok go and die.
3days later : I apologized with 2millions.

Oya knee down 2 thank me now.
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by TabletMan: 8:22pm On Dec 04, 2013
@drnoel.
drnoel:

Pls for those that just decide to write what they are not sure about Idemili does not exist just in Anambra state but also in Imo (close to Orlu region) and I hear there is also an Idemili around abia (that one am not sure about)

yƟƲ are not even sure of what you're typing, people that reside in east knows the idemili I am talking about, even those that reside at the idemili in iMo state knows that I am talking abt the idemili at anambra state which host many town like Obosi, Ogidi and many others. I am sure of what I am typing
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Nobody: 8:42pm On Dec 04, 2013
In my mother's village,the sure way to end a marriage is for the man to throw the wife's cooking pot out of the house in anger
Once that is done,the marriage is over and irreconcilable or the man dies
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Prettiepearlz(f): 11:51pm On Dec 04, 2013
AdannayaBella: In the Idemili area of Anambra state, killing pythons is a taboo. Apparently, if you kill one one, you have to bury it in the manner a human is buried, with a coffin, grave and all that. Crazy crazy crazy stuff.
A friend once told me this issue of not killing python and if u end up killing,u'll do d funeral rights as that of a human,I never believed her. But now I believe.
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by kingasa(m): 12:09am On Dec 05, 2013
Adeoba10: In my village, it is a taboo to make night call with MTN

shocked shocked this is hilarious... grin grin grin
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Nonywendy(m): 2:56am On Dec 05, 2013
Pls who has nokia small pin charger here?
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by ceaser: 7:50am On Dec 05, 2013
Yahasa: It's a taboo to eat green snake. It's a legend that they spread themselves across a river as bridge for my people to cross and escape from toublesome fulanis that invaded our village.
Na wa o. E don tey wey our Fulham (Fulani) guys don dey cause kasala for league (Nigeria) be that o. #Just joking

ceeethru: d day my wife slip anoda man outsid me, few days time she go die lik fowl.

What if she was rap£d? i. e. against her consent. Not wishing such for you o, but I'm just curious what her fate would be.

Polio:

So what will happen if i kill a snake? undecided

Ridiculous taboo!!!

Try it first na. Trying is knowing. grin

Red_Card: I'm from Ndele and we forbid a lot of things. We can't make love on the floor, in a car, boat, ship, air plane, hotel built in water, etc. The taboos are so many that I can't name them all. I regret being a native of that village. Juju plenty for there eh!

Eeya, kpele. Chai! Couples' s.ex life must be really dry and monotonous in that area. I mean, not being able to spice up the moment with adventures and varieties.
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by toygod2: 8:37am On Dec 05, 2013
haha
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Haryoryhemie(f): 9:24am On Dec 05, 2013
Adeoba10: In my village, it is a taboo to make night call with MTN

As una no get good network coverage
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Ephramed(m): 9:21am On Dec 10, 2013
na one tribe for adamawa state.though no be taboo....
if they no catch a woman(wife) doing the thing outside marriage *oyinbo call am adultery* she never reach to be called a wife.
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Nobody: 4:08pm On Jan 13, 2016
Obanliku LG............ Charm na number one
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by glossy6(f): 9:08am On Jan 16, 2016
1. Young girls that have entered puberty must not urinate outside
2. If an unmarried girl gets pregnant the land must be cleansed
3. if a woman let's her wrapper get loosed in public the land must be cleansed
4. It is forbidden to cut the udara tree when it has started bearing fruits
5. Suicide is a no no
6. Adultery kills the husband and children of the woman
7. Incest is an abomination
8. I don't know the snakes they call avuala but it must not be killed
9. If midnight comes while still carrying out your marriage rites you have to start all over again
10. Women are not to be buried in front of the compound
11. You must not shed your brother's blood
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by jnrbayano(m): 9:23am On Jan 16, 2016
glossy6:
1. Young girls that have entered puberty must not urinate outside
2. If an unmarried girl gets pregnant the land must be cleansed
3. if a woman let's her wrapper get loosed in public the land must be cleansed
4. It is forbidden to cut the udara tree when it has started bearing fruits
5. Suicide is a no no
6. Adultery kills the husband and children of the woman
7. Incest is an abomination
8. I don't know the snakes they call avuala but it must not be killed
9. If midnight comes while still carrying out your marriage rites you have to start all over again
10. Women are not to be buried in front of the compound
11. You must not shed your brother's blood

Which village?
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by glossy6(f): 11:15am On Jan 16, 2016
jnrbayano:

Which village?
Do you to pay a visit?
ELUAMA IN ISUIKWUATO LGA OF ABIA STATE
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by glossy6(f): 11:16am On Jan 16, 2016
Ephramed:
na one tribe for adamawa state.though no be taboo....
if they no catch a woman(wife) doing the thing outside marriage *oyinbo call am adultery* she never reach to be called a wife.

Then I rather remain a married girl in that place; D grin
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by jnrbayano(m): 2:57pm On Jan 16, 2016
glossy6:

Do you to pay a visit?

ELUAMA IN ISUIKWUATO LGA OF ABIA STATE

I can visit

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Olori Adeyeye Wuraola Ogunwusi's Birthday Cake + Pics From Her Party / Ahmad Muhammad Asha Is Dead! Emir Of Kaura Namoda Dies At 71 / The Beauty Of Edo Brides And Women In Their Native Attires

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.