Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,308 members, 7,819,048 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:30 AM

What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area (42998 Views)

10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) / What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? / Taboos/abomination!: List Actions/deeds That Are Deemed Taboos In Your Culture. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by glossy6(f): 3:18pm On Jan 16, 2016
jnrbayano:

I can visit
You will be glad you did grin
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Lixa1(f): 6:02pm On Nov 21, 2016
jnrbayano:
In igboland, it is a taboo for any woman to do the following:

pray over Kolanut.

wear masquerade or go close to it.

take part in Kindred meetings.

climb to tap palm wine.

I am Igbo, female and have done all of the above. Nothing happened to me. Some aspects of culture is just rubbish
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by jnrbayano(m): 7:13pm On Nov 21, 2016
Lixa1:

I am Igbo, female and have done all of the above. Nothing happened to me. Some aspects of culture is just rubbish

Climbed to tap? Whoa!

Wear a masquerade? In what town pls?

Took part in Kindred meetings? in which Kindred pls?

Prayed over Kola? Who was looking?
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Onyegecha(f): 8:53am On Feb 10, 2017
Mention the names of these villages please

In my part of Igboland it is a taboo to kill green grass snakes and some other short fat snake.
Supposedly if one kills them,they will have to bury them like humans( I will not spare any snake)

Igbos consider it bad luck to go over someone's outstretched legs
If you did that you will have to go over it again from the opposite side to nullify it lol

A baby should not look at a mirror undecided

There is also an Igbo proverb that if a man chops his wife in the standing position and she conceives,the baby will be an imb.ecile grin

Opening an umbrella indoors is also considered bad luck

In my mother's village,a married woman must not sleep in her father's house on an eke market day

Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by bender(m): 2:59am On Sep 26, 2020
AroOkigbo:

The main reason a particular "religion" is a hard sell in Igboland.
In Arochukwu, a married Aro woman CANNOT have intimacy outside marriage. This is why we Aro men rarely marry non Aros.

What happens to an nonaro man who does

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ilu Aje (The Land Of The Wizard) / Some "Super-lovely" And Hilarious Yoruba Proverbs You Would Love To Know / Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, In Private Jet With His Chiefs (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.