Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,183 members, 7,818,590 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:23 PM

Media Bias Of National News. A Surprise? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Media Bias Of National News. A Surprise? (1356 Views)

Today’s National News Headlines (tue-30-jun-2015) / Today’s National News Headlines (Mon-29-Jun-2015) / APC Plans Fresh Offensive To Regain Control Of National Assembly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Media Bias Of National News. A Surprise? by Olaedo1: 4:58am On Dec 03, 2013
[size=15pt]Media Bias of National News. A surprise?[/size]

I find this strange, but I'm not a bit of surprised. As the public humiliation a an innocent poor widow by Governor Adams Oshiomhole went viral across Nigeria and the social media none of the follow news mediums The Punch News, Nigerian Tribune, Vanguard News, The Nation, and Channel TV failed to report on this huge issue. It was almost as if it never happened.

However, ironically, at the same time all listed news mediums The Punch News, Nigerian Tribune, Vanguard News, The Nation, and Channel TV happened to air the news of an alleged apology and the showering of money by the Governor of Edo State, Adams Aliu Oshiomhole simultaneously. I find this not only worrying but a disgrace to journalism and an insult to the Nigerian people in whole.

It is said that these media outfits are run by a syndicate known as the Lagos/Ibadan Press/Mafia. It is commonly said and believed to be the promoter of the political party known as the APC. With this being the case, Nigerians are being held ransom to one-sided views. With the example of the lack or reporting of a particular incident but the reporting, simultaneously, of a reaction is it not safe to say that the Lagos/Ibadan Press does exist? I think so.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=208148402703319&set=a.108421046009389.10559.100005244818648&type=1&theater

1 Like

Re: Media Bias Of National News. A Surprise? by Goddex: 5:33am On Dec 03, 2013
They are also silent about the 181 thugs APC and Aregbesola dispatched to go help rig elections for Ngige in Anambra. If not for social media, they planned to kill this "Go and Die" matter.
Re: Media Bias Of National News. A Surprise? by Omexonomy: 7:10am On Dec 03, 2013
That is politics for you and dont forget tinubu and buhari are spending trillions of dollers on media hype just to score cheap point and to make people see him as saint.
Re: Media Bias Of National News. A Surprise? by PapaBrowne(m): 8:50am On Dec 03, 2013
The onus is now on the wise to sift through the haze of news and understand which is true and which is false!

As for me, I read between the lines to understand happenings. But more importantly, I read only development news these days. I cant be bothered about politics.

The other point though is that the traditional print media is going extinct. They barely sell newspapers these days.
More people saw and will eventuall see the video of Oshiomole telling the widow to go and die than they will see his apologies. All thanks to social media we would have been hopeless with regards to news.
Re: Media Bias Of National News. A Surprise? by Afam4eva(m): 8:59am On Dec 03, 2013
This is why i've been clamoring for the decentralization of media outfits. 90% of media outfits are based in Lagos and their sentiments will be geared towards the political idiosyncrasy of the area. I noticed this in the Ondo and Anambra elections where Akeredolu and Ngige were being mentioned as candidates who would probably win the election only for them to come, not second but third. This shows that these media houses are not in tune with what's going on in other parts of Nigeria and only see issues from a myopic prism.
Re: Media Bias Of National News. A Surprise? by Nobody: 9:21am On Dec 03, 2013
Why not establish your own Onitsha/Owerri/Enugu/Umuhia axis mafia?

Why the whining ?

2 Likes

Re: Media Bias Of National News. A Surprise? by Afam4eva(m): 9:23am On Dec 03, 2013
ilugunboy: Why not establish your own Onitsha/Owerri/Enugu/Umuhia axis mafia?

Why the whining ?
I'm waiting for the day your comment will not be decorated with tribalism. Is that all you do on Nairaland? hardly do you i see any comment of yours that has nothing to do with Igbo/Yoruba. kai.
Re: Media Bias Of National News. A Surprise? by Nobody: 9:28am On Dec 03, 2013
Afam4eva:
I'm waiting for the day your comment will not be decorated with tribalism. Is that all you do on Nairaland? hardly do you i see any comment of yours that has nothing to do with Igbo/Yoruba. kai.

So someone claimed an Ibadan / Lagos media mafia... I suggested that a counter balance mafia can be established to balance the story...your warped sense read tribalism..

See how that has eaten deep into your senses.

Afam wrote
This is why i've been clamoring for the decentralization of media outfits.

So how is that different from what I wrote..,just that I went further with additional suggestion.

2 Likes

Re: Media Bias Of National News. A Surprise? by donphilopus: 9:41am On Dec 03, 2013
Afam4eva:
Stop this! If you find any of his comment tribalistic, you know the necessary thing to do! You've been hiding people's post on this forum! Most of the tribal wars on this forum are usually caused by the Igbos! But the Yorubas have started theirs'
Re: Media Bias Of National News. A Surprise? by 1freshdude: 9:42am On Dec 03, 2013
Afam4eva: This is why i've been clamoring for the decentralization of media outfits. 90% of media outfits are based in Lagos and their sentiments will be geared towards the political idiosyncrasy of the area. I noticed this in the Ondo and Anambra elections where Akeredolu and Ngige were being mentioned as candidates who would probably win the election only for them to come, not second but third. This shows that these media houses are not in tune with what's going on in other parts of Nigeria and only see issues from a myopic prism.

Dumb post! How do you decentralize media outfit are they government owned or who is barring you from starting your own media out fit/ propaganda machine?

2 Likes

Re: Media Bias Of National News. A Surprise? by Afam4eva(m): 9:46am On Dec 03, 2013
ilugunboy:

So someone claimed an Ibadan / Lagos media mafia... I suggested that a counter balance mafia can be established to balance the story...your warped sense read tribalism..

See how that has eaten deep into your senses.

Afam wrote

So how is that different from what I wrote..,just that I went further with additional suggestion.
When you started mentioning Onitsha/Owerri/Enugu/Umuhia, i lnew you were going tribal. Lagos media is not the same as Yoruba media. People from all over Nigeria own these media outfits but their outlook is usually projected by the idiosyncratic nature of Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Media Bias Of National News. A Surprise? by Dannylux: 9:57am On Dec 03, 2013
Glad someone else noticed this. Said something like this in the thread Where He apologized to the lady.

Why call cameraman now wey you wan beg? I know you didn't expect your previous video to hit the internet. in fact, you knew not it was being taped! Now you wanna cleanse your dent?

Politicians sef. Even when It's obvious that they don't care and we know it; they still pretend to care.

Its all just politics even the press can't be trusted.
Re: Media Bias Of National News. A Surprise? by Nobody: 10:04am On Dec 03, 2013
Afam4eva:
When you started mentioning Onitsha/Owerri/Enugu/Umuhia, i lnew you were going tribal. Lagos media is not the same as Yoruba media. People from all over Nigeria own these media outfits but their outlook is usually projected by the idiosyncratic nature of Lagos.

You must be bestowed with higher intelligence and the telepathy power to know exactly my mind....I repeat you are the only one seeing tribalism in the innocuous comment.

The onerous lies on you to prove it.

Well...I won't allow you to derail the thread...so I will advise you to stick to topic.

BTW...stop editing my comment...the fact that you are a mod doesn't give you the levity to edit a comment that didn't break any NL rule.
Re: Media Bias Of National News. A Surprise? by engrfcuksmtin(m): 11:02am On Dec 03, 2013
Also their reports on ASUU strike did not help the issue at all. They give unconfirmed reports, spread propaganda and never for once hit the nail on the head. If not for Channels tv this morning, there so many document between fg and ASUU that the press are suppose to make public but no they won't.
I won't blame them cause their owners are affiliates of political parties and some worker's are eyeing political office like Smart Adeyemi, Ruben Abati and co.
Re: Media Bias Of National News. A Surprise? by DisGuy: 11:15am On Dec 03, 2013
what about NTA? what did NTA show

which newspapers are not the lagos/ibadan axis?

Which newspaper/tv station is not biased with internet streaming?
Re: Media Bias Of National News. A Surprise? by Nobody: 2:20pm On Dec 03, 2013
PapaBrowne: The onus is now on the wise to sift through the haze of news and understand which is true and which is false!

As for me, I read between the lines to understand happenings. But more importantly, I read only development news these days. I cant be bothered about politics.

The other point though is that the traditional print media is going extinct. They barely sell newspapers these days.
More people saw and will eventuall see the video of Oshiomole telling the widow to go and die than they will see his apologies. All thanks to social media we would have been hopeless with regards to news.

Tell me, how many people are wise enough to sift through this haze? No offense meant but a lot of our youths our lazy and short-sighted to do that

(1) (Reply)

Chinese Police Kills Rioting Muslim Gang At Eid / South Africa’s President, Jacob Zuma, In Witchcraft Scandal After Two Live Merma / BREAKING: Nigerian Schools' Resumption Date Set For September 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.