Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,754 members, 7,824,162 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:41 AM

Police Kill Someone In Iceland.. For The First Time Ever! - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Police Kill Someone In Iceland.. For The First Time Ever! (1432 Views)

Panama Papers Expos; Iceland's Prime Minister Resigns. / Why Violent Crime Is So Rare In Iceland / South African Police Kill Striking Miners! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Kill Someone In Iceland.. For The First Time Ever! by Pangea: 8:23am On Dec 03, 2013
[size=13pt]Rare Iceland armed police operation leaves man dead[/size]

Icelandic police have shot dead a man who was firing a shotgun in his apartment in the early hours of Monday.

It is the first time someone has been killed in an armed police operation in Iceland, officials say.

Tear gas canisters were fired through the windows in an attempt to subdue the 59-year-old, who lived in the east of the capital, Reykjavik.

When this failed he was shot after firing at police entering the building. Between 15 and 20 officers took part.

Back-up was provided by special forces.

The tear gas was used when the man, who has not been named, failed to respond to police attempts to contact him and continued shooting.

When they entered the apartment, two members of the special forces were injured by shotgun fire - one in the face, the other in the hand.
Investigation

The man, who died soon after arriving in hospital, was thought to be alone, police say, and the motive for his action remains unclear.

"Police regret this incident and would like to extend their condolences to the family of the man," Icelandic police chief Haraldur Johannessen told reporters.

The incident was "without precedent" in Iceland, he said.

The apartment block was evacuated as neighbours were considered to be in danger.

Iceland, with a population of 322,000, has one of the lowest crime rates in the world and shooting incidents are unusual.

Counselling is being provided to the special forces team. shocked

An investigation is being carried out into the conduct of the police and to try to find out why the man began firing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25190119#TWEET972719
Re: Police Kill Someone In Iceland.. For The First Time Ever! by Pangea: 8:25am On Dec 03, 2013
grin grin grin
Nigerian Police!
Killing since 1861 grin

5 Likes

Re: Police Kill Someone In Iceland.. For The First Time Ever! by pendusky(m): 8:29am On Dec 03, 2013
Pangea: grin grin grin
Nigerian Police!
Killing since 1861 grin
sad sad sad sad its sad though... and they are happy to kill here, SMH

Re: Police Kill Someone In Iceland.. For The First Time Ever! by Oppypoppy: 8:30am On Dec 03, 2013
Hmmmm, how i wish Naija was like dis, Nigerians police kills hundreds of innocent people every year over bribe....hmmm.
Re: Police Kill Someone In Iceland.. For The First Time Ever! by Pangea: 8:35am On Dec 03, 2013
http://www.visir.is/arbaejarkirkja-veitti-10-manns-og-ketti-afallahjalp/article/2013131209906

According to this one, 10 people and one cat will be provided with traumatic-counseling. grin grin grin

Iceland's mental healthcare system - even cats get counseling.

Maybe thats why they have less people killing each other too!
Re: Police Kill Someone In Iceland.. For The First Time Ever! by SLIDEwaxie(m): 8:37am On Dec 03, 2013
This s the part where you wished u are not a Nigerian undecided
Re: Police Kill Someone In Iceland.. For The First Time Ever! by fasho01(m): 8:47am On Dec 03, 2013
Not that the NPF does not have crazy trigger-ready folks but if we had a population of 322k it won't be as bad as it is here
Re: Police Kill Someone In Iceland.. For The First Time Ever! by Sweetcollins: 8:50am On Dec 03, 2013
I was a aghast and flabbergasted when I saw it.
Re: Police Kill Someone In Iceland.. For The First Time Ever! by kennyonthrone(m): 9:05am On Dec 03, 2013
Sweetcollins: I was a aghast and flabbergasted when I saw it.
Lol nwanne supu oyibo na mmadu abughi efi
Re: Police Kill Someone In Iceland.. For The First Time Ever! by JameyMaxwell(m): 9:24am On Dec 03, 2013
What kind of country has population of 320,000.
My village is even bigger than that
Re: Police Kill Someone In Iceland.. For The First Time Ever! by lovat(m): 9:27am On Dec 03, 2013
How many people are in that country but that notwithstanding if Nigeria police are there the population will be facing extinction now.
Re: Police Kill Someone In Iceland.. For The First Time Ever! by KiKatanga: 9:32am On Dec 03, 2013
Iceland is lovely, but it should be much poorer than Nigeria: Ageing population, no mineral resources...

What they have is fantastic -- No -- AMAZING education, but they have highest proportion of Atheists in the world, so I can't say why God has blessed them.

We must pray that somehow God lets us catch up.
Re: Police Kill Someone In Iceland.. For The First Time Ever! by mumumugu(m): 10:38am On Dec 03, 2013
Packs my bag...off to iceland
Re: Police Kill Someone In Iceland.. For The First Time Ever! by Afam4eva(m): 10:41am On Dec 03, 2013
Countries in Scandinavia are the safest and most peaceful in the world.
Re: Police Kill Someone In Iceland.. For The First Time Ever! by UyiIredia(m): 11:04am On Dec 08, 2013
Ki-Katanga:
Iceland is lovely, but it should be much poorer than Nigeria: Ageing population, no mineral resources...

What they have is fantastic -- No -- AMAZING education, but they have highest proportion of Atheists in the world, so I can't say why God has blessed them.

We must pray that somehow God lets us catch up.

They were once poor. During the Cold War US gave them huge funds under the Marshall plan, they utilized it wisely, and hence, their success.
Re: Police Kill Someone In Iceland.. For The First Time Ever! by KiKatanga: 3:57pm On Dec 08, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

They were once poor. During the Cold War US gave them huge funds under the Marshall plan, they utilized it wisely, and hence, their success.
Yup, but it's a fraction of the amount that Nigeria has at its disposal, but it was used very wisely. Not to build churches in the middle of nowhere.

(1) (Reply)

Trump Achievements So Far As President Elect / Very Disappointing Homosexuality Is Legal In Israel / Melania Trump May Be Sending A Secret Message With Her Outfits

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.