Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,744 members, 7,955,840 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 04:44 PM

Why Violent Crime Is So Rare In Iceland - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Why Violent Crime Is So Rare In Iceland (872 Views)

Panama Papers Expos; Iceland's Prime Minister Resigns. / Rare Photos: Remembering Apartheid In South Africa. / Police Kill Someone In Iceland.. For The First Time Ever! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Violent Crime Is So Rare In Iceland by LRNZH(m): 10:55am On Dec 04, 2013
Police in Iceland have shot dead a gunman - the first time armed police have killed someone in the country. In a BBC News Magazine feature originally published on 16 May, 2013, US law student Andrew Clark asked why Iceland, awash with guns, has one of the lowest violent crime rates in the world.

Full article here - - >
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25201471

The summary of this article is that
1. Promoting a near classless society (egalitarianism); and
2. Preemptive policing of social ills like drug usage and criminal acts
appear to work so well for Iceland.

I look at Nigeria and how she can benefit from this.
Our national policies are here and there (incoherent).
NIPSS (National Institute of Policy and Strategic Studies) Kuru is a shadow of its former self. Ideally all public leaders should pass through this institute.
A comprehensive Nigerian policy is not thought in schools so that it can be imbibed early on.

The closest to social democracy (as practised in Iceland and Nordic countries- economically successful and socially responsible countries) in Nigeria within the SW and I see elements of it in APC (note that I have no formal affiliation with the region or the party).

Kindly read the article in full and share your thoughts. All viewpoints are welcome but insults or personalised attacks are discouraged.
Re: Why Violent Crime Is So Rare In Iceland by Nobody: 4:40pm On Dec 04, 2013
nigga its too cold to step out let alone commit crime. the hotter the weather the more hormonal stimulation and testosterone is one of the hormones that make you aggressive. the colder the weather the less hormone stimulation. so the cold weather deters people being outside and less hormone makes you less aggressive

1 Like

Re: Why Violent Crime Is So Rare In Iceland by LRNZH(m): 4:45pm On Dec 05, 2013
obadiah777: nigga its too cold to step out let alone commit crime. the hotter the weather the more hormonal stimulation and testosterone is one of the hormones that make you aggressive. the colder the weather the less hormone stimulation. so the cold weather deters people being outside and less hormone makes you less aggressive

No be small excuse be this one. How China, India, Singapore, Brazil or even Ghana go come talk?
Re: Why Violent Crime Is So Rare In Iceland by Nobody: 4:53pm On Dec 05, 2013
LRNZH:

No be small excuse be this one. How China, India, Singapore, Brazil or even Ghana go come talk?
are you for real ? india where women have been getting -r-aped like crazy and all kinds of violence goes on ? singapore is due to harsh penalties. they dont play in singapore. if you are caught with drugs you are beheaded or hung. they have such draconian punishments. my point is places with low crime are like that for a strong reason not because the people are soooooo nice
Re: Why Violent Crime Is So Rare In Iceland by UyiIredia(m): 10:52am On Dec 08, 2013
optimum population with good governance and consequent high standard of living which severeely reduces the need for crime.
Re: Why Violent Crime Is So Rare In Iceland by UyiIredia(m): 10:58am On Dec 08, 2013
The article is okay. Personally I think Iceland's population helps a lot, not discounting good governance but the fact is, in some populations, good governance fails: attimes I'm tempted to say Nigerians are examples and don't recognize good leadership, which may explain why we have poor leadership. I think Switzerland is a better instance, unlike Iceland, they are larger, more diverse (in fact the most diverse European country) and practice the only quasi direct democracy, where citizens by signatories and referendums can change a law. That to me is more impressive than Iceland, never mind Iceland's lesser crime rate.
Re: Why Violent Crime Is So Rare In Iceland by LRNZH(m): 6:59pm On Jan 06, 2014
^^^^^^^^
Yeah you're right about Switzerland being a very progressive country with low crime rates and economic success for nearly all of its population . But it is an outlier amongst ultra capitalist countries (ie. Germany, USA, China, India and Japan). Switzerland is not the norm.
In contrast, Iceland is like all other Nordic countries (Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland and Greenland) which are the most peaceful countries on earth and have a very high standard of living.

My point is Nordic (or Social) Democracy works better than ultra-capitalism in creating peaceful, wealthy a d egalitarian societies.

(1) (Reply)

David Haines Has Been Beheaded By The Isis. / Nigerian Passenger Left To Die In Spanish Airport / Impressive Photos Of Vladimir Putin, Russian's War Room.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.