Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,063 members, 7,835,598 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:17 PM

To All The Pro-ASUU Folks. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / To All The Pro-ASUU Folks. (807 Views)

17 Things Covenant University Folks Can Easily Relate With (photos) / Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / ASUU And ASUP Strike: How Have You Been Spending Your Time? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

To All The Pro-ASUU Folks. by jaidor: 12:31pm On Dec 03, 2013
The imbroglio between ASUU and FG has caused so much confusion in the country. However I was elicited to make a point to the public after reading some over-pampering comments from so many Nigerians in support of ASUU.

Yes I agree to the fact that education in Nigeria needs total overhauling but realistically, has the incessant strike being embarked upon by ASUU been able to make any 'significant' result?

We should all recall that some money has been released to ASUU prior to their strike in the past (although not the total of what they requested for) have we seen any impact of that in our tetiary education sector yet?

I did not create this thread to ridicle the stuggle of ASUU nor to support FG as we all know that FG also has not been exceptional fairing well in its role (not only in the education sector).

But I am of the opinion that ASUU as a body has not recorded any achievement in the past regarding their own role as academicians. How has ASUU or Lecturers been able to profer any reasonable and reliable solution to the copious challenges bedevilling our dear country Nigeria either by the inventions or innovation?
We have power challenges, Health challenges, agricultural challenges etc and yet our proclaimed lecturers have been silent on 'Individually or collectively' profering a lasting solution to these issues as done in the developed countries.
Did I hear you say no fund? How many lecturers have actaully claimed the research grants by FG and State governments?

So I think ASUU as a body should worry more about profering obvious solutions to the country and leave upto what is expectated from them as academician. Rather than quoting verbatim from textbooks and reaserches (by their counterparts in other countries) and calling it lecturing.

As for the strike, I expected ASUU a union of high esteemed interlectuals to have considered the stats of their strike from inception and ask themselves if it has yielded their desired results? How many more years are they going to strike for till they achieve all their demands?

This is the point which I need the pro-ASUU folks to understand. They always say stuffs like "Let the governmet provide all their demands once an for all, so that there won't be ASUU strike again, and our children will not suffer anymore from the strike".
But I dare confute their claims. Stop being brain-washed by ASUU, because ASUU is an egotistic body and would always continue to make fresh demands from FG, (even after the full implementation of this much vaunted 2009 agreement), so you can envisage the omen of what would happen if the future demands are not met or delayed. ANOTHER STRIKE!

Now lets take a look at it from another point of view, we all know that UNILORIN has opted out from national ASUU for some years now, and as such they've had and still have the most stable academic calender in the country. Now the question we should ask ourselves are, has the school not been making demands from FG since they officailly opted out of ASUU? were their demands immediately met or there were some delays in meeting their demands? Do they resort to strike for that?
has the non-involvement of the sch in ASUU strike worsened the development of the sch?
The last time I checked the sch is among the best 100 universities in Africa.

Now I can conclude that as it stands, ASUU is only taking the advantage of students and Nigerians by going on strike for several months and expecting the payment of their full salaries.

UNANIMOUSLY, LET'S SAY NO TO INCESSANT ASUU STRIKE, IT IS NOT AND WOULD NOT BE THE SOLUTION TO THE WORRISOME STATE OF THE EDUCATION SECTOR RATHER IT WOULD FUTHER WORSEN THE SITUATION, AS MORE DEMANDS WOULD STILL BE MADE IN THE FUTURE!

2 Likes

Re: To All The Pro-ASUU Folks. by Mascotizer: 1:06pm On Dec 03, 2013
Hmmmm, very profound point!
You r so right op.

I hope the MOD could put this on the front page for all to read. Cos d op made some senses.
Re: To All The Pro-ASUU Folks. by OriginalJ: 2:52pm On Dec 03, 2013
NICE! We get you bro...I am on the side of ASUU in this face off, but now I am having a rethink.

You said the truth.

(1) (Reply)

Update On Funaab Post-utme 2014 / 2015 / My Search For Project Topics / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.