Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,594 members, 7,843,891 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 12:26 PM

Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG (5250 Views)

LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY / UNILORIN--FUNAAB: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: FUNAAB / OAU--ABU ZARIA: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: OAU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by snoopy(m): 1:54pm On Dec 06, 2013
Ayomitide77: Having a web-enabled phone nowadays is no longer a luxury as you can now get good phones with internet facilities for a token nowadays.

That is not entirely correct. Closer to home, to the average Nigerian it is not a luxury. But you must understand that a lot of people still fall within the one dollar a day category where the only opportunity they have of attending school at all is brought about by the free education policy of most state governments. It is a luxury for those kind of people, and a size-able amount of our population consists of people within this income bracket.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by Ayomitide77(m): 1:54pm On Dec 06, 2013
damoskiy: school is place to mold and shape a person for the future.The ability of you not been able to speak in class shows that you have low self esteem.if a teacher interacts with you on line how is your self esteem going to grow
What most students need are just words of encouragement and this can easily be achieved via social networking websites

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by agrovick(m): 1:54pm On Dec 06, 2013
N.B: this particular session is dedicated to the debaters, its meant for them to pinpoint perceived weaknesses in their opponents' arguements
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by damoskiy(m): 1:56pm On Dec 06, 2013
Abu Mikey:

I don't think a Sane teacher would share Personal information with a student online,can You give obvious examples please? smiley

personal informations like the sexuality of the teacher, age. if i know my lecturers age it would give me more power to speak with him or her anyhow.back then when i was in secondary school i had a teacher who was 5 years older than than i was since the day i knew that i started calling her by name.she later shared her sex scene with me.she was in the right state of mind
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by damoskiy(m): 1:58pm On Dec 06, 2013
Ayomitide77: What most students need are just words of encouragement and this can easily be achieved via social networking websites
if we encourage ourselves physically we would have better understanding of the person and his state of mind at that time.we cannot know someone state of mind via social network
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by Ayomitide77(m): 1:59pm On Dec 06, 2013
snoopy:

That is not entirely correct. Closer to home, to the average Nigerian it is not a luxury. But you must understand that a lot of people still fall within the one dollar a day category where the only opportunity they have of attending school at all is brought about by the free education policy of most state governments. It is a luxury for those kind of people.
Teachers organizing quizzes and tutorials for students on social networking sites is mainly to aid what they were taught in the class and students missing out of this is negligible.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by snoopy(m): 2:01pm On Dec 06, 2013
Abu Mikey:

I don't think a Sane teacher would share Personal information with a student online,can You give obvious examples please? smiley

personal information like age, personal interests e.t.c, not all social networks provide the option for such details to be hidden, and should the teacher want to share those information with his friends and acquaintances, and subsequently does, the fact that he/she has his student on the same social network will obviously let the student in on those details as well.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by gbemmie09(f): 2:02pm On Dec 06, 2013
damoskiy: We have students who are stubborn,
some are struggling in class while some
are shy to speak up in class and these
sets of students refuse to ask of help. It
becomes so hard for teachers to reach
these students, if teachers are not ban
from interacting with their students via
social networking, those set of students
would be able to reach out to their
teachers and request help on topics they
might not understand. Some student
can be embarrased about asking
questions in front of their peers. how would they grow if they are shy to speak with their teachers

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by damoskiy(m): 2:03pm On Dec 06, 2013
That is the reason every teacher must know their students.Social network serve as a medium of interaction, in which the teacher can give extra classes online to less participating students.

That can lead to something else...most times the less brilliant are wayward
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by Ayomitide77(m): 2:06pm On Dec 06, 2013
damoskiy: if we encourage ourselves physically we would have better understanding of the person and his state of mind at that time.we cannot know someone state of mind via social network
I never said we can know someone's state of mind via social network, but I think that is the best avenue to address someone's personal problem instead of addressing him/her in the classroom so as to avoid his/her classmates of making mockery of the student involved.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by agrovick(m): 2:07pm On Dec 06, 2013
debaters, you have less than 15 minutes b4 this session expires. Judges pls get ready to ask the debaters questions
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by snoopy(m): 2:08pm On Dec 06, 2013
Ayomitide77: Teachers organizing quizzes and tutorials for students on social networking sites is mainly to aid what they were taught in the class and students missing out of this is negligible.

I disagree with you kind sir, it is not negligible. thinking the financial incapacities of the 'few' poor students not being able to fully partake in educational activities as a result of being financially handicapped as negligible will amount to discrimination. And what do you think this will do to the morale of such student?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by gbemmie09(f): 2:08pm On Dec 06, 2013
damoskiy: That is the reason every teacher must know their students.Social network serve as a medium of interaction, in which the teacher can give extra classes online to less participating students.

That can lead to something else
Lead to what? Teachers have policy guiding them, so they know when to draw a line when interacting with their students.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by damoskiy(m): 2:08pm On Dec 06, 2013
Ayomitide77: I never said we can know someone's state of mind via social network, but I think that is the best avenue to address someone's personal problem instead of addressing him/her in the classroom so as to avoid his/her classmates of making mockery of the student involved.
you could call the student aside to speak with him its better that way
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by damoskiy(m): 2:10pm On Dec 06, 2013
gbemmie09:
Lead to what? Teachers have policy guiding them, so they know when to draw a line when interacting with their students.
not all teachers have policy guiding them we always have a Judas out of every 12
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by snoopy(m): 2:15pm On Dec 06, 2013
gbemmie09:

well said. but you should understand that considering the intricasies of social networks, that line could be 'erased' albeit inadvertently.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by Ayomitide77(m): 2:16pm On Dec 06, 2013
snoopy:

i disagree with you kind sir, it is not negligible. thinking the financial incapacities of the 'few' poor students not being able to fully partake in educational activities as a result of not being able to afford online interaction as negligible will amount to discrimination, and what do you think this will do to the morale of such student?
Nothing sir as there are other means of learning that such students can apply like using like textbook reading,visiting school or public libraries and do on. Social networking websites is also a means of learning just like other means.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by gbemmie09(f): 2:18pm On Dec 06, 2013
Nowadays, the classroom has lost its
sanctity as cases of intimate
harassments and other vices between
teachers and students are increasing
in geometric rates and the benefit of
facelessness and anonymity which
some social networking websites offer
could help to further perpetuate such
vices and even take it to an advanced
level if a teacher-student relationship
on social networks is encouraged.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by damoskiy(m): 2:18pm On Dec 06, 2013
Ayomitide77: Nothing sir as there are other means of learning that such students can apply like using like textbook reading,visiting school or public libraries and do on. Social networking websites is also a means of learning just like other means.
what do we learn from facebook if i may ask
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by agrovick(m): 2:19pm On Dec 06, 2013
To the debaters, this session of tackling flaws is about to come to an end. Pls round up your questions
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by Ayomitide77(m): 2:20pm On Dec 06, 2013
damoskiy: you could call the student aside to speak with him its better that way
Some teachers lecture schedule might hinder him/her from doing this.The teacher might be busy when the student is free and the teacher might be free when the student is busy.It happens most times.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by damoskiy(m): 2:21pm On Dec 06, 2013
gbemmie09: Nowadays, the classroom has lost its
sanctity as cases of intimate
harassments and other vices between
teachers and students are increasing
in geometric rates and the benefit of
facelessness and anonymity which
some social networking websites offer
could help to further perpetuate such
vices and even take it to an advanced
level if a teacher-student relationship
on social networks is encouraged.
i disagree ma....if i have access to all your information i can send kidnappers after you and get down with you.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by Ayomitide77(m): 2:23pm On Dec 06, 2013
damoskiy: what do we learn from facebook if i may ask
I guess that's a way off question.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by snoopy(m): 2:25pm On Dec 06, 2013
Ayomitide77: Nothing sir as there are other means of learning that such students can apply like using like textbook reading,visiting school or public libraries and do on. Social networking websites is also a means of learning just like other means.

I should ask you, how would you feel if among ALL your colleagues at work, you are the ONLY one who does not have a car and treks a sizeable distance to work everyday, how would you feel about such situation? disadvantaged? No? A honest answer will be appreciated.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by damoskiy(m): 2:25pm On Dec 06, 2013
Ayomitide77: I guess that's a way off question.
its not a way off question i am asking because personally i don't learn anything there.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by agrovick(m): 2:25pm On Dec 06, 2013
Debaters, this session is over. You are no longer able to ask questions or respond to arguements/counter-arguements
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by gbemmie09(f): 2:25pm On Dec 06, 2013
damoskiy: i disagree ma....if i have access to all your information i can send kidnappers after you and get down with you.
The above highlighted was made by snoppy, my question is: is social network the only means of perpetuating such vices?

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by yuzedo: 2:26pm On Dec 06, 2013
gbemmie09: gbemmie09 A recent survey showed that some percent
of teachers, principals, librarians are
active in at least one social network
space.
I was hoping you’d cite the source of this information and provide an immediate link to back up this assertion. Honestly, you didn’t put forth any argument in your opening statement; you only supplied known information.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by agrovick(m): 2:27pm On Dec 06, 2013
The Judges now have the stage, you have 20 minutes to ask the debaters questions. Kindly indicate the names of the individuals your question(s) is/are directed to
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by yuzedo: 2:28pm On Dec 06, 2013
Ayomitide77: Interaction as name implies is a kind of action that occurs as two or more object or person have an effect upon one another. Social networking websites are websites that enables users
to create a public profile within that website and form relationship with other users of the same website. It can be used to describe community based websites, online discussion forums, chat rooms and other social spaces online.
As we all know that we are in the 21st century where social networking websites is no longer an option but a necessity as it usage cuts
across all varieties of life.
So is there an established correlation between interaction/mentoring via social media and better results of students? If affirmative, please show proof.

A research on why students fail a particular examination or test has shown that it is mainly not because they are not serious or attentive enough but because they are either afraid or they don’t like the teacher involved.
Source/Reference?

I clicked on the link supplied for your “references” and nothing happened. I wasn’t directed to the source or basis of your argument. What gives?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by tunex23: 2:29pm On Dec 06, 2013
when can we start firing them question abeg grin grin grin
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by Ayomitide77(m): 2:30pm On Dec 06, 2013
damoskiy: In the 60s and 70s when the standard of education in Nigeria was relatively higher and when the sanctity of the four walls of a classroom weren’t as desecrated as we have it today, there was nothing like online social networking and teachers then still brought about students who turned out to be professionals in their various fields of endeavour later on
Do you realize that how stressful it was then compared to now?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Federal Polytechnic Offa Admission Online [2nd Batch] For Utme Students. / When The Witches Find Out You Failed Waec(pic) / Why Do Military And Paramilitary Men Say "Morning Sir" Anytime They Salute???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.