Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,382 members, 7,850,373 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 07:58 PM

Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG (5254 Views)

LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY / UNILORIN--FUNAAB: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: FUNAAB / OAU--ABU ZARIA: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: OAU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by yuzedo: 2:31pm On Dec 06, 2013
damoskiy: We have students who are stubborn,
some are struggling in class while some
are shy to speak up in class and these
sets of students refuse to ask of help. It
becomes so hard for teachers to reach
these students, if teachers are not ban
from interacting with their students via
social networking, those set of students
would be able to reach out to their
teachers and request help on topics they
might not understand. Some students
can be embarrased about asking
questions in front of their peers. how would they grow if they are shy to speak with their teachers
How did teachers of yore tackle this issue WITHOUT social network? undecided

“Success is most often achieved by those who don’t know failure is inevitable”. Most students are always scared to approach their teachers physically to ask them question not because the teacher is harsh but because we lack self confidence. Students feel because I have my teacher on the same social networking I can ask him anything at will and any way I want it.
Contradiction of the day. Which argument does this support or oppose?

Parents it is this sort of question that keeps you awake at night! The idea that you cannot control who has access to your children on the Internet is one of the most terrifying and helpless sensations. Having a teacher as part of it is something unacceptable, school is a place for teachers to interact with students while home or outside home is a place for family and friend's .
My parents aren’t kept awake at night o! grin Is the internet the only place the parents don’t have control over who accesses/interacts with the children? If there is abuse by teachers NOT on the internet but on the grounds of the school, does that make it okay? Going by your argument, is it okay for the child to mess up with other children online, so long as a teacher isn’t involved?

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by gbemmie09(f): 2:32pm On Dec 06, 2013
yuzedo:
I was hoping you’d cite the source of this information and provide an immediate link to back up this assertion. Honestly, you didn’t put forth any argument in your opening statement; you only supplied known information.
http://www.hudsongrp.com/1/post/2013/08/what-are-the-advantages-of-social-media-to-students.html

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by Ayomitide77(m): 2:41pm On Dec 06, 2013
yuzedo:
So is there an established correlation between interaction/mentoring via social media and better results of students? If affirmative, please show proof.

Source/Reference?

I clicked on the link supplied for your “references” and nothing happened. I wasn’t directed to the source or basis of your argument. What gives?

Check this
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by damoskiy(m): 2:41pm On Dec 06, 2013
yuzedo:
How did teachers of yore tackle this issue WITHOUT social network? undecided

Contradiction of the day. Which argument does this support or oppose?

My parents aren’t kept awake at night o! grin Is the internet the only place the parents don’t have control over who accesses/interacts with the children? If there is abuse by teachers NOT on the internet but on the grounds of the school, does that make it okay? Going by your argument, is it okay for the child to mess up with other children online, so long as a teacher isn’t involved?
i never made the first state . The second it supports the argument that youth of nowadays have low self esteem and are scared to approach their teachers for explanations ....third question i said one.i didn't say all.it is not okay for students to mess up with teachers and their fellows student. i can pretend to my parents about my friend but i cannot pretend to my parents about my teacher
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by agrovick(m): 2:48pm On Dec 06, 2013
Judges, you still have the stage to ask the debaters questions
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by agrovick(m): 3:06pm On Dec 06, 2013
In the absence of questions from the judges, members of the audience can nw ask questions. Judges pls start compiling the result
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by yuzedo: 3:12pm On Dec 06, 2013
snoopy: TEACHERS SHOULD BE BANNED FROM INTERACTING WITH STUDENTS VIA SOCIAL NETWORKING WEBSITES (SUPPORTING)
Loved your presentation. Only one to supply the correct heading too. Thank you.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by snoopy(m): 3:13pm On Dec 06, 2013
yuzedo:
Loved your presentation. Only one to supply the correct heading too. Thank you.

Thank you sir
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by Nobody: 3:14pm On Dec 06, 2013
@snoopy, u said `or otherwise within itself could further lower the already education standard particularly in Nigeria...'....i.e u mean dat teachers and students interaction is degrading our educational system....
i want u to expantiate this better? and cite some example bro?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by agrovick(m): 3:16pm On Dec 06, 2013
Judges kindly send the results to xxxx@gmail.com
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by Nobody: 3:19pm On Dec 06, 2013
@ snoopy, u also said and i quote:`how can a teacher convincingly speak against smoking or substance abuse if students have access to pictures portraying the teacher themselves drinking or smoking'
do u think such a person is worthy to be a teacher when he's involving in such a bad act? i don't think this is a good example but i would like you to expantiate or convince me abt what i just quoted.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by snoopy(m): 3:23pm On Dec 06, 2013
aysuccess99: @snoopy, u said `or otherwise within itself could further lower the already education standard particularly in Nigeria...'....i.e u mean dat teachers and students interaction is degrading our educational system....
i want u to expantiate this better? and cite some example bro?
No sir what i meant was that the idea of a student-teacher interaction on social networks is susceptible to being abused by questionable characters both on the teacher side and the student side and the end result is what can further reduce the value of our education system
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by damoskiy(m): 3:23pm On Dec 06, 2013
aysuccess99: @ snoopy, u also said and i quote:`how can a teacher convincingly speak against smoking or substance abuse if students have access to pictures portraying the teacher themselves drinking or smoking'
do u think such a person is worthy to be a teacher when he's involving in such a bad act? i don't think this is a good example but i would like you to expantiate or convince me abt what i just quoted.
we have teachers like that.some teachers are not doing it for the passion but the money.for those that attended boarding school like i did we had situation of teachers bringing prostitutes to their quarters and posting funny pictures online about all they did...
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by Nobody: 3:29pm On Dec 06, 2013
snoopy: No sir what i meant was that the idea of a student-teacher interaction on social networks is susceptible to being abused by questionable characters both on the teacher side and the student side and the end result is what can further reduce the value of our education system
but sir, i quite agree with you....bt what do u think the teacher can do if he want to pass a very important information to the students, if they are not on social media? cos i've seen a situation whereby lecturers have to go to facebook and inform his students about the latest development in the faculty, and that information was very essential and important, and assuming one of his students his nt his friend on facebook, hw do u tink he wld be able 2 pass d info to other students?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by Nobody: 3:31pm On Dec 06, 2013
damoskiy: we have teachers like that.some teachers are not doing it for the passion but the money.for those that attended boarding school like i did we had situation of teachers bringing prostitutes to their quarters and posting funny pictures online about all they did...
owk, i do knw that such things do happen....bt my qstn is dat do such a teacher worth being called a teacher and did he worth being call a role-model?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by damoskiy(m): 3:32pm On Dec 06, 2013
aysuccess99:
but sir, i quite agree with you....bt what do u think the teacher can do if he want to pass a very important information to the students, if they are not on social media? cos i've seen a situation whereby lecturers have to go to facebook and inform his students about the latest development in the faculty, and that information was very essential and important, and assuming one of his students his nt his friend on facebook, hw do u tink he wld be able 2 pass d info to other students?
bulk sms
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by snoopy(m): 3:34pm On Dec 06, 2013
aysuccess99: @ snoopy, u also said and i quote:`how can a teacher convincingly speak against smoking or substance abuse if students have access to pictures portraying the teacher themselves drinking or smoking'

i think that is inconsequetial in the sense that the drinking and smoking habit of the teacher is personal and does not in anyway negate the teaching abilities of the teacher in his field. But then again it depends on what level the teacher is. you cant tell me a professor in the University who smokes is unworthy of being a professor. But if the teacher is at the primary school level, his ablities could be called to question considering the role a teacher plays at this level BUT it still doesnt hamper his/her teaching abilities as the teacher wont be oblivious its a bad habit which is essentally why such details which is considered personal should be kept private.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by damoskiy(m): 3:34pm On Dec 06, 2013
aysuccess99:
owk, i do knw that such things do happen....bt my qstn is dat do such a teacher worth being called a teacher and did he worth being call a role-model?
some teachers are called teachers not because of what they deliver but because of the environment they find themselves and the money the collect
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by Nobody: 3:37pm On Dec 06, 2013
@UNILAG, u guys said are supporting d motion dat teachers shld be ban from interacting with the students through social media...but don't u tink it's so unfair and untrue...because, i and my teachers do chat on social media and he do give me tips on hw to study, hw to be morally upright etc....bt if such teachers her ban from interacting with students, wld i have the opportunity to be able to receive such a vital advice and don't u tink it may affect such a student negatively when such a student need that kind of crucial advice.
what do u guys have to say about this?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by snoopy(m): 3:39pm On Dec 06, 2013
aysuccess99:

The teacher doesn't necessarily have to be the one contacting the students one by one on social networking websites to pass the info. Thats what class reps are there for. The teacher could just pass the info to the class rep and the class rep can in turn inform his colleagues and could even do it via the social media platform.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by damoskiy(m): 3:41pm On Dec 06, 2013
aysuccess99: @UNILAG, u guys said are supporting d motion dat teachers shld be ban from interacting with the students through social media...but don't u tink it's so unfair and untrue...because, i and my teachers do chat on social media and he do give me tips on hw to study, hw to be morally upright etc....bt if such teachers her ban from interacting with students, wld i have the opportunity to be able to receive such a vital advice and don't u tink it may affect such a student negatively when such a student need that kind of crucial advice.
you could still receive vital informations from your teacher.you should have your teachers mobile no if you are a good student
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by Nobody: 3:42pm On Dec 06, 2013
damoskiy: bulk sms
u said bulk sms....hmmn...do u think the lecturers or teachers have the telephone number of all his students? what he could only do is to chat with the class rep through social media and inform him to tell the other students...what do you think about this?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by Ayomitide77(m): 3:44pm On Dec 06, 2013
yuzedo:
So is there an established correlation between interaction/mentoring via social media and better results of students? If affirmative, please show proof.
Source/Reference?

CHECK THIS ALSO
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by Nobody: 3:44pm On Dec 06, 2013
damoskiy: you could still receive vital informations from your teacher.you should have your teachers mobile no if you are a good student
but you said that students and teachers interaction should be limited in the class, so how come could you now say that students need to interact with teachers through telephone calls? so what do u have to say about this?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by damoskiy(m): 3:46pm On Dec 06, 2013
aysuccess99:
u said bulk sms....hmmn...do u think the lecturers or teachers have the telephone number of all his students? what he could only do is to chat with the class rep through social media and inform him to tell the other students...what do you think about this?
all course adviser or teachers are suppose to have contact no of all their students.all class reps are suppose to have the mobile no of their mates,age, house address.i'm a class representative and i make use of their mobile no effectively through sending them text messages during their birthdays and calling them to know how they are doing since the beginning of the ASUU strike.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by damoskiy(m): 3:47pm On Dec 06, 2013
aysuccess99:
all course adviser or teachers are suppose to have contact no of all their students.all class reps are suppose to have the mobile no of their mates,age, house address.i'm a class representative and i make use of their mobile no effectively through sending them text messages during their birthdays and calling them to know how they are doing since the beginning of the ASUU strike. i send them text messages once there is any new development in school...
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by snoopy(m): 3:48pm On Dec 06, 2013
aysuccess99: @UNILAG, u guys said are supporting d motion dat teachers shld be ban from interacting with the students through social media...but don't u tink it's so unfair and untrue...because, i and my teachers do chat on social media and he do give me tips on hw to study, hw to be morally upright etc....bt if such teachers her ban from interacting with students, wld i have the opportunity to be able to receive such a vital advice and don't u tink it may affect such a student negatively when such a student need that kind of crucial advice.

we are not saying its a bad idea. We are saying the dangers far outweigh the gains. Yes, you and your teacher use such medium positively but how do you control the negative use. Take for instance a student who poured her heart out on Nairaland about how one of her lecturers wanted to sleep with her and she's on the verge of agreeing to the proposal simply because she's been boxed to a tight corner and her temporary respite is the ongoing ASUU strike where the lecturer had no means of further harrassing her. If they had been interacting on social networks, dont you think her 'little respite" where she can strategise on how to outwit such rogue lecturer would have been a mere fantasy?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by Nobody: 3:49pm On Dec 06, 2013
snoopy:

The teacher doesn't necessarily have to be the one contacting the students one by one on social networking websites to pass the info. Thats what class reps are there for. The teacher could just pass the info to the class rep and the class rep can in turn inform his colleagues and could even do it via the social media platform.
but how can he communicate with the class rep like for example, during this ASUU strike...what do u tink the teacher can do if u doesn't have the students number and he jst have only his facebook id, what do you think abt this? I REST MY CASE....
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by snoopy(m): 3:53pm On Dec 06, 2013
aysuccess99:
but how can he communicate with the class rep like for example, during this ASUU strike...what do u tink the teacher can do if u doesn't have the students number and he jst have only his facebook id, what do you think abt this? I REST MY CASE....
for the teacher NOT to have the phone number of his class rep whose also a proxy figure BUT be friends with each and every one of his student on social networks would rather be absurd.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by Nobody: 4:06pm On Dec 06, 2013
snoopy:
for the teacher NOT to have the phone number of his class rep whose also a proxy figure BUT be friends with each and every one of his student on social networks would rather be absurd.
am nt saying dat the teacher shld be fwends with all his students on social media, bt he shld jst be able to have another way of communicating with the class rep peradventure, if he doesn't have the class rep number...
and i want to ask u, if u are a teacher and ur classrep want 2 be fwends wit u, wat wld u do, wld u do decline d fwend request when u knw dat u didn't have any other means to communicate to him apart from the social media......and do u knw dat some of d lecturers do have t only the class rep as his fwend cos he knws dat he's very strict in class to the students and he wldnt be able to convey any info to his student, apart 4rm the social media....welldone akokites, kudos to u o.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by agrovick(m): 4:08pm On Dec 06, 2013
Miss Uj, I'm waiting for u to inbox me
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate :winner:::UNILAG by Nobody: 4:16pm On Dec 06, 2013
We are all waiting anxiously for the RESULT...Let's see who the result would FAVOUR...I REST MY CASE.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

AAU.Ekpoma First Batch Admission List Is Currently In Process / Unad Cut-off Mark 4 Each Course Pls. / Imsu Post Utme 2012//2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.