Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,281 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:06 AM

Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates (13564 Views)

Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable / Nigerian Graduates With First Class From Nottingham Trent University / Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by dartsidius7(m): 4:12am On Dec 09, 2013
hitlab:
Its just so sickling to hear such demoralising remarks about nigerian graduates. These same persons(just so fortunate to be what they are now) are the ones who victimize undergraduates in class. I remember a lecturer already apportioned percentages to the supposed outcome of a course he was teaching for the first time, saying: "only 5% will av A in this course 10% B , 20% C others will carry the course" and believe me it was exactly so. Did they ever ask Why is it that if a Nigerian undergraduate gets an oppurtunity to school abroad in a better learning environment makes the best grade & break records? Really Nigerian graduate have suffered.
My two kobos for Nigerian graduate is empower yourself in a little way you can & you will make it as time goes on.
Peace

You took the words right out of my mouth. My thoughts exactly. Thank you very much. The same graduates and undergrads that they call slow still manage to pull some crazy scams(am not saying its a good thing). I think more of the blame should be placed on the system that produces the gradates..

osisey2010: To be employable in Nigeria;
-You must put GOD first
-You must understand the Nigerian market
-You must be very ready to work hard
-You must be ready for insults
-Humility, Hardwork, discipline, loyalty, passion and focus is required
-You must have listened to a couple of GEJ's speech -LOL

I rest my case for now

You are right.

1 Like

Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 4:43am On Dec 09, 2013
rhames:

With my 23 years of experience across administrative cadres of an audit firm, two law firms, a medical concern and a conglomerate where i spent my last 15 years before retiring in August 2012 at the age of 39, I have found so many things wrong with Nigerian graduates and why the best employers dont go for them. The standard of education has fallen to the extent where graduates commit hell of mistakes in basic communication. Why this is prevalent is that the Nigerian graduate dont read books beyond their texts. I once asked an interviewee graduate what was his prospect working for our organisation. He replied" I will do my best to perform well on the job"Tautology.He met his Waterloo with that answer. You can hardly see a Nigerian graduate reading a motivational book, watching an educative television program like Donald Trumps apprentice, or even attending a seminar for the sake of it. Some are simply arrogant and have no regards for bureaucracy because their qualifications has made them crazy. They are thinking of a job that can provide the good things of life for them. So easy to make a lot of money.We dont pick it on trees.A Nigerian graduate hates pressure. They cant work in the most difficult environment. They know little of Customer relations management. Most graduates of Business administration cant even write a sales pitch or business plan. They argue that they were not taught these things in school. Even if they are not,they dont reason that such little things matter on the way up. Most of them lack initiative and dont have future plans until the reality sets in.

I am now an entrepreneur.

I believe they should simply change their approach to life and get into the information age as fast as they can. That is a chip of the iceberg for you undergraduates and graduates reading this. Cheers.
Sir with everything you've said and explained...isn't your last sentence suppossed to be 'Tip' of the ice berg smh

7 Likes

Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by BITEXXX(m): 5:13am On Dec 09, 2013
Anytime i heard dat Nigerian graduate are umeployable i feel vry vry upset cos dos who often make such stataments are presenting spurious claims and serious fallacy for their argument.Here we need to be vry objective in our presentations.First of all,their has nver been a vacancy,office that has been left vacant cos of the unemloyabity of our graduates in dis country.Anytime a vacancy is declared u ll find 60% are more dan qualified for d job after test and interview of any kind.This is true fo both private and public sectors.At the end of interview n test,appointment goes or is given to only dummies recommended by senators,house members,presidency and so called cream de la cream members of the society.while d best n competent brains remains outside d system,dummies find their way in, eventually failed to contribute positively in d long run.It is now the output of dis dummies dat some careless Nigerians re making unguided n unproven claims of unemployability of our graduates.show me any establishment,organization dat is tecnocratically performing poorly,i will show u a place full of dummies employ through d window. Self employment in dis country has also been crippled by poor enabling enviroment presented by poor power supply,infrastructural facilities.finance and large scale administrative bottlenecks and corruption in regustration of businesses.

3 Likes

Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by gedtalks(m): 5:56am On Dec 09, 2013
boay: Hello Nairalanders

Some human resources managers and other pundits in related fields have been peddling the idea of 'unemployability' to save and help Nigerian graduates.

One of them once said during a lecture that 'the problem of nigerian graduates is not the prevalence of unemployment that has pervaded the country's economy, but unemployability'

Inasmuch as it is crystal clear that unemployment is prevalent in our country, we should not give this as an exclusive excuse. It is important for us to focus on what we can change id est 'employability'. We can only complain about the high rate of unemployment, only our leader can change the staus quo.

So my question is how can a graduate be an employeable one?

this is a very selfish statement orginated by the so called human resource managers that proves that they do NOT EVEN KNOW WHAT THEY ARE SAYING. And graduates are not even smart enough to figure out the emptiness. It is just like saying Nigerians dont learn anything in school.

Its just as silly as saying a doctor does not have have the soft and technical skills of banking.

In reality His own ''technical skills'' were actually meant for the hospitals not bank, not marketing. He will look ''unemployable'' if he starts seeking a bank job. He DOES NOT NEED ANY OTHER SPECIAL ''soft and technical skill'' period.

Or a graduate that studies a course like Forestry and Wildlife Management... Is actually meant to work in either; the Forest researh and Conservation Industries, or wood proucts manufacturing industries... BASED ON THE KNOWLEDGE HE HAS LEARNT IN HIS CAREER.... He does not NEED any other skills.. - now the Qustion is where in Nigeria does NIGERIA HAVE A RESOUCE GENERATING FOREST (I mean a forest that is alive )

or A graduate that studies Zoology is TRAINED to work in the Zoo - How many of you have been to ANY ZOO in Nigeria ? After your visit didnt you feel like crying for Nigeria.

There are a lot of courses that really require the ACTIVE FUNCTIONING OF THE CONCERNED INDUSTRIES in order to provide employment.

The only industries that trive a little in Nigeria are the ''Basically-Needed'' Industries; Health, Banking, Engineering (to an extent), Law, Marketing....

3 Likes

Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by gedtalks(m): 6:37am On Dec 09, 2013
it is INFACT a big SHAME that some graduates actually believe this statment at all. It means that the graduate is not even actually a graduate of any course at all.

Left to me, I suggest that all unemployed/underemployed Nigerians should START UP THEIR OWN PEACEFUL BUT DISTURBING PROTEST IMMIDIATELY AFTER ASUU. BY MATCHING OUT IN NUMBERS AND STANDING OUTSIDE FOR DAYS..
Let the senate see us since they cant hear us. Lets give them a hot seat for one week.

Lets copy from Egpty.. But Not to oust GEJ O!!! Lets match out in our hundreds of thousands any stand outside for days upon days to say

''provide us the industries we were trained to work in'', ''provide us with an environment where we can create our own jobs''. Or are we all actually dummies who cant fight for our lives even when our future are rotting ? .

We can form an association in agreed centers in every state, to meet and plan (for peaceful public demonstrations) regularly. I shall edit a NL thread about this issue immidiately.

''Unemployed Graduates Plan Peaceful Demonstrations''

Please like this post, then visit the thread and contribute. Lets STOP SLEEPING.

1 Like

Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by Emytexboy(m): 6:42am On Dec 09, 2013
***RADIO BIAFRA LIVE BROADCAST IS ON NOW***
Call in after the news headlines with your view and join the debate of hot topics impacting on Biafra restoration by calling +447831308376 and also via the skype line on radiobiafra.
Go to your app store and download the bespoke app or listen via www.radiobiafra .coor www.biafratelev ision.coor www.indigenousp eopleofbiafra.o rgor on youtube @ http:// www.youtube.com/ watch?v=Bdu2jT1U jTs&feature=sha re
Radio Biafra - In Defence of Freedom
radiobiafra.co
Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by Emytexboy(m): 6:43am On Dec 09, 2013
<<< ATTENTION PLEASE >>>
BIAFRA LIBERATION COUNCIL
OPERATION EXODUS
WE THE BIAFRAN LIBERATION COUNCIL HAVE EXPRESS OUR SADNESS OVER THE CURRENT KILLING OF EASTERNERS IN THE NORTHERN PART OF NIGERIA BY THE MUSLIM FUNDAMENTALIST DESPITE THE ASSURANCE BY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT TO PROTECT THE NON MUSLIMS AND THE EASTERNERS IN THE NORTHERN REGION, FOLLOWING THE RECENT INVASION OF THE NIGERIAN AIR FORCE BASE AND CARTING AWAY WITH SOME HEAVY MILITARY EQUIPMENT BY THESE NORTHERN GROOMED ISLAMIST FUNDAMENTALIST,IT IS NO LONGER A SECRETE THAT NIGERIA HAS FAILED AND IS NO LONGER CAPABLE OF PROTECTING ITS CITIZENS NOT TO TALK OF FOREIGNERS WITHIN THE GEOGRAPHIC EXPRESSION/ENTITY KNOWN AS NIGERIA, AND SEQUEL TO THIS, THE BIAFRA LIBERATION COUNCIL HAVE DECLARED THE OPERATION EXODUS
1. WE HERE BY CALL ON ALL EASTERNERS/BIAFRANS IN THE NORTH AND INDEED IN OTHER PARTS OF NIGERIA TO SEND THEIR WIVES AND CHILDREN HOME IMMEDIATELY BEFORE 30TH OF JANUARY 2014 OR BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY CALAMITY THAT BEFALL THEM AFTER THE GIVEN DATE,
2. WE ALSO URGE ALL EASTERNERS/BIAFRAN TO BE READY/PREPARED TO DEFEND THEMSELVES WHERE EVER THEY ARE IN CASE OF ANY FORM OF ATTACK ON THEM BY ANY SECT OR GROUP BE IT RELIGIOUS,TRIBAL OR POLITICAL SINCE NIGERIA HAS FAILED IN THEIR DUTY TO PROTECT THEM BUT RATHER CHOSE TO HAVE A CLEAN DAY ROMANCE WITH THE BOKOHARAM SECT HENCE PLAYING GAMES WITH THE LIVES AND PROPERTIES OF INNOCENT EASTERNERS/BIAFRIANS
WE CANNOT FOLD OUR ARMS ANY MORE AND WATCH THIS HORROR GROW DAY BY DAY, WE CANNOT FOLD OUR ARMS AND WATCH INNOCENT BIAFRANS MASSACRED MERCILESSLY IN THE HANDS OF THESE NORTHERN GROOMED BLOOD SUCKING DEMONS CALLED BOKOHARAM,
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH, TO BE FORE WARNED IS TO BE FORE ARMED.
UDO NU.
from Biafra Ogbajirigwe
Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by samilo88(m): 7:05am On Dec 09, 2013
I hope you guys castigating nigerian graduates have foreign degrees with your names on it. If not, you guys are part of the problem. You don't spit into the plate you ate from.
Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by collynzo2(m): 7:07am On Dec 09, 2013
rhames:

With my 23 years of experience across administrative cadres of an audit firm, two law firms, a medical concern and a conglomerate where i spent my last 15 years before retiring in August 2012 at the age of 39, I have found so many things wrong with Nigerian graduates and why the best employers dont go for them. The standard of education has fallen to the extent where graduates commit hell of mistakes in basic communication. Why this is prevalent is that the Nigerian graduate dont read books beyond their texts. I once asked an interviewee graduate what was his prospect working for our organisation. He replied" I will do my best to perform well on the job"Tautology.He met his Waterloo with that answer. You can hardly see a Nigerian graduate reading a motivational book, watching an educative television program like Donald Trumps apprentice, or even attending a seminar for the sake of it. Some are simply arrogant and have no regards for bureaucracy because their qualifications has made them crazy. They are thinking of a job that can provide the good things of life for them. So easy to make a lot of money.We dont pick it on trees.A Nigerian graduate hates pressure. They cant work in the most difficult environment. They know little of Customer relations management. Most graduates of Business administration cant even write a sales pitch or business plan. They argue that they were not taught these things in school. Even if they are not,they dont reason that such little things matter on the way up. Most of them lack initiative and dont have future plans until the reality sets in.

I believe they should simply change their approach to life and get into the information age as fast as they can. That is a chip of the iceberg for you undergraduates and graduates reading this. Cheers.
For someone crtiticising graduates for thier ''mistakes in basic communication'', you made a lot yourself.
Mistake 1: the pronoun ''I'' should always be capitalised.
Mistake : don't instead of dont.
Mistake 3: ''graduate doesn't'' or ''graduates don't'' instead of ''graduate dont''.
Mistake 4: their qualifications ''have'' instead of ''has''.
Mistake 5, 7 & 8: refer to mistake 2 above.
Mistake 6: can't instead of cant.

Mistake 9: it is called ''tip of the iceberg''.

7 Likes

Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by Polchiz(m): 7:08am On Dec 09, 2013
Even school cert-holders are employable.
Of course, when someone fails exam, he will tell you that his grand mother is a witch.
The ONLY reason why there is high rate of unemployment in Nigeria is that, our institutions produce 100times more graduates than the labour market can absorb.

1 Like

Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by ikhuoria2(m): 7:14am On Dec 09, 2013
Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by Toyesky: 7:59am On Dec 09, 2013
Make add small comment here:
1. How many of our parent, uncle and anty have changed their age so they will retire 5 year or 10 years later?
2. Government support for entrepreneur no dey.

3. Our youth are looking for fast money, better to find something doing, definitely not stealing nor yahoo yahoo.

4. Be creative and make you own world. The richest are not the well read.

Make una enjoy.......
Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by Uchwilliam(m): 8:00am On Dec 09, 2013
lets call a spade a spade the problem of nigerian graduate emanetes frm their leaders.why should u train sumbody to work when u dont hv work for him?after school u will tell him to go and become self employed when u(the stupid govt)didnt give him any capital to start with.I urge all graduates and all well meaning nigerian to rise up and stop this inhuman act against nigerian graduate by leaders.there should be bugdets made for graduates and given to them whenever they finish school.
Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by Johnsonpac(m): 8:22am On Dec 09, 2013
Please Register with us under National Association of unemployed graduates(NAUG)
www.naug.tk
Follow us on our twitter handle
@naijagraduates
Like our facebook page
National Association of Unemployed graduates
Please join us let us let us put all hands on deck in order to fast-track our government into their responsibilities,we are not anti-government please.
Please like my comment if u agree wit me
Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by oladayo042: 8:24am On Dec 09, 2013
rhames:

You had 23 years of experience and retired at the age of 39, did you start working at the age of 16? #JustAsking

5 Likes

Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by dustydee: 8:32am On Dec 09, 2013
I think what a lot of Nigerian graduates lack is discipline. There is so much out there to do, not just in Nigeria but outside as well but we do not have good work ethics. Also a lot of graduates do not know what they want. Ask a graduate what he/she wants to do and they have no idea. So how will you work towards what you don't know? There is also this defeatist attitude. Most graduates believe if they do not know someone they cannot get a good job. True and false. I got 3 jobs in Nigeria without knowing anyone (all within 1 year of my NYSC). My third job was with a government oil and gas agency which most people think you cannot get into unless you are highly connected. How can you win when you have admitted defeat even before the battle starts? On the other hand, I used to think it was an anomaly to get a job by knowing someone. My current company pays staff who recommend successful candidates (Experienced) who go on to stay in the company for 3 months.
Need to go to work. . . . Later

1 Like

Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by adezjamz(m): 8:42am On Dec 09, 2013
odizeey: Dis question weak me o

Kai. U dont mean it,i hv made it. First to comment,life na by turn
what U̶̲̥̅̊ just did sent me to a 2weeks ban. Mod are U̶̲̥̅̊ alive

1 Like

Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by basilo101: 8:51am On Dec 09, 2013
Wen sm govnors r busy packing white men 2 kum n kill SMEs and celebrate high IGR? U beta go n learn trade, onitsha market has many PhD holders.
Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 9:10am On Dec 09, 2013
To human resource managers and all those who have commented in favour of 'unemployability of Nigerian graduates':

Since you all agree that the way graduates can become employable is to improve their arsenal of soft and technical skills, why then do we see on many of the vacancies for fresh graduates, 'minimum of 2-1, not older than 26'... Do grades and age now equate skills and competence?

You all just say one thing and do another. The problem is not employability, there are a lot of competent and employable graduates out there who are rarely called for interviews just because they do not fit into the grade and age requirements.

1 Like

Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by Booty4me: 9:10am On Dec 09, 2013
seangy4konji: i dont need your money..I spam now and cash out...let d goverment do as they like and u keep find finding work of 40k up and down......

bro me too won spam o.. no time. i go pm u
Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by nijanigga: 9:23am On Dec 09, 2013
Why should Nigerian graduates be employable? They want to be whiz kid or Davido or dance skelewu and make quick money. Don't be shock to see Nigerian electrical engineer who can't replace dead bulb.

1 Like

Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by FOLYKAZE(m): 9:46am On Dec 09, 2013
Nigerian students with their white collar job search mentality. When will all these end in this country? When will company apply for graduates to employ before graduation of the said student? I have taken my mind away from this white collar thing.....self employment pays

1 Like

Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by PROVENSOLUTION: 9:46am On Dec 09, 2013
Fellow Nairalander, If you have watch this film the secret. You will agree with me. persons will always waste most of their limited productive years if they didn't know their God ordained career path.

Poor knowledge of one God ordained career path. Have lead many introverts to accept/go for careers that are people/activity oriented. It have also lead many extroverts to accept/go for careers that are imaginations oriented.

Hence why I will strongly advice you endeavor to seek to know your God ordained career path now. You can do same for your sibling or kids before they choose a course that are not in line with their personality, strengths/aptitude.

Just a tip; downloading and taking the questionnaire in www.provensolutions.com.ng/visibilityservice. And mailing back same to proven Solutions via nmc@provensolutions.com.ng. With a note stating you need but the career counsel. Will be a step in the right direction.

In view of the current demand/response for our career counseling service. We this day have added this specialty, (online career counseling service) to our solutions. For more see www.provensolutions.com.ng/counseling
Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by nelajayi(m): 9:59am On Dec 09, 2013
Well, one cant deny the fact that some applicants are unemployable but i still believe Employers most times say this to get critics off their back when their short-listing process is faulted. Many are not just employable but if given the chance would become an asset to organisations but for one reason or the other, they fall among those assumed to be unemployable. I got the shock of my life once when i realised the slot of the job i was told about @ chivita belonged to a particular guy who says he would give it away only for a camry 2006 american specs. I was expecting some technical excuses like you dont have the required skill set or the required years of experience or even grade of degree. So, i think the word "unemployability" means more than we can imagine; not having the right contact and having the right price may also make somebody unemployable. But applicants should nevertheless make efforts to improve their skill set in the waiting period so when a good job comes they stand a better chance!

1 Like

Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by GentleFrank(m): 10:59am On Dec 09, 2013
Nice thread !
Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 11:13am On Dec 09, 2013
ayusco85: Because nigerian graduates arent smart. They cram and make good grades, but in the long run they arent smart, and they only think within the box.

Lastly, they are very lazy. grin grin
Actually that's quite the truth, Nigerian students are lazy both abroad and at home, even at a school abroad, the students always paid me to do their assignment as much as I do it, I often question them that how do u intend to work for an IT company if you keep paying people to do your work. employability is the main issue. Also dearth of good jobs also and the environment makes it hard to create your business. I don't blame people who do shady business, during times of frustration I sometimes relate with them. I guess no one has the answers.
Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by InvertedHammer: 11:17am On Dec 09, 2013
rhames:

Oga:
First thing first, You are on point about everything you said.

Secondly, you are a gem. You retired at 39 after working for 25 years (experience) which means you
graduated from the university at the age of 14 and started working immediately.

You are a genius!

1 Like

Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by InvertedHammer: 11:20am On Dec 09, 2013
oladayo042: You had 23 years of experience and retired at the age of 39, did you start working at the age of 13? #JustAsking

You forgot that we are on nairaland grin grin grin grin
Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by buJu234: 11:22am On Dec 09, 2013
One Employer said; and i quote

"i am ready to create an opportunity (if there is non) to employ any person that can solve a problem in my company now that will bring money to my company or organization .... but finding this guy is the greatest problem now in Nigeria."

meanwhile there are millions of graduates that are jobless in the Nigeria.
Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by paulworld(m): 11:41am On Dec 09, 2013
Me and you no be dsame thing
Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 12:18pm On Dec 09, 2013
buJu-234:
One Employer said; and i quote

"i am ready to create an opportunity (if there is non) to employ any person that can solve a problem in my company now that will bring money to my company or organization .... but finding this guy is the greatest problem now in Nigeria."

meanwhile there are millions of graduates that are jobless in the Nigeria.

What about "I'm ready to train young intelligent graduates and invest in them and bring them up to speed because they will become assets to my company in the future" I bet few employers say that.You see, it is foolish to expect a fresh graduate no matter how intelligent to get it right at first attempt. Many organizations are simply involved in employee poaching. That is why as a fresh graduate, it is difficult to get a job coupled with the fact that Nigeria is increasingly de-industrialized and few jobs exist. Unemployability is our govts indirect way of telling us they have failed because in reality nobody is unemployable. Even an ssce holder should be employable. And the entrepreneurship thing is a joke because most people in reality don't start off as entrepreneurs. Not even in the US of A. Especially when your course of study is as highly technical course where you need some time to learn the ropes of your profession. As a fresh graduate in Nigeria (especially when you are not highly connected), you need to:
1. Learn to start small (just get that foot in the door even if you get paid less than you really are worth)
2. Keep your options open. Don't limit yourself to any kind of job and keep looking even when you are working that low paying dead end job.
3. Improve yourself. Invest in certification courses and other job specific training.
4.Be hardworking
5. Don't waste your time and effort mopping on the system. Their children are all schooling abroad and will work there or come back to get juicy jobs thru their highly placed parents. This is not going to change now or in the next five years or even ten
6. Be very willing to learn anything (by anything I mean anything) to make ends meet.
7. Pray

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

{Official} UNN Merit ADMISSION List 2012/2013 Session is OUT.Check Ur Name Here / Unilorin Releases Nuclear Bomb For 2008/2009 (post Jamb Cutoff Is 240). / My Story From Grass To Grace.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.