Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,758 members, 7,809,923 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:15 PM

Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable (28470 Views)

Why Nigerian Certificates Lose Value — UK School / Nigerian Graduates With First-Class From Canada University / 7 Reasons Why Nigerian Youths Do Not Go To Church - EDUREGARD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by EduRegard: 10:11am On Jul 10, 2015
The lack of employment options and opportunities for Nigerian graduates is one that cannot be ignored because to do so would be foolhardy. But when severely probed, all we get as a reply is that the so-called Nigerian graduates are unemployable.

Whether Nigerian youths are really employable or not is a hot potato and offering both the accuser and the accused a penny for their thoughts is a survey that might take a million years to gather its data, therefore, this post is meant to clear the air about some reasons why our graduates are unemployable, concluding with the assumption that they really are.

Lack Of Required Skill
: In a nation like Nigeria, it is an essential requirement for a graduate to be able to boast of a particular skill. Talking of your certificate, a million graduates can also tender the same thing even with better grades, getting ahead of them all is to actually get head of them by developing a stronger point of acquiring a skill. Employers are obviously tired of seeing same set of individuals with same set of qualifications springing up for interviews daily whereas they are in need of someone that will stand out.Therefore, in case you are being accused of not being employable, drastic times call for drastic measures, the ball is in your court.

They Are All About The Pay
: This can also be attributed to impatience. Moment when a Nigerian graduate is thinking of getting employed this day and getting a car or probably buy a mansion in Lekki the next month, based on their salary,little did they know that cutting such mustard is never meant to be in a couple of days. The last time I checked, such scenario only occurs in dreams, if you have no one to disturb your sleep then you will enjoy it for a long temporary while before waking up to the reality that success is built over time and with hardwork, perseverance, dedication and being focused over the years but bearing in mind that every cloud has a silver lining, you will reach your prime.

They Are Educated Illiterates
: According to a Nigerian minister who once announced that Nigerian youths are unemployable in defense of a question posed against the then President about his negligence in terms of job provision. He said “Just going to school and getting a certificate is not a guarantee of getting a job. Every employer wants beyond just a certificate. Every employer is out to employ someone with reasoning and intellectual might, not someone who cannot play with a full deck. Someone who knows how to and wants to learn more than what they studied in school and on the job. Someone who can readily bring ideas to the table on how the company can forge forward. Not someone with low reasoning capability who won't even be able to answer extremely trivial questions.“. A graduate is expected to develop him or herself so one can refer to such person as a worthy and employable graduate.

Employers’ Unrealistic Demands
: Reading through the requirements of a company in search of a computer analyst, it goes thus:

Applicant must be less than 28 years of age.
Applicant must have acquired a bachelor’s degree in one of the following: Computer science, software engineering or computer engineering.
Applicant must have graduated with a minimum grade of second class upper.
Applicant must have at least 4years experience in a recognised organisation.

Applicant must be willing to learn about new ideas under whatsoever environment.
Applicants must have a minimum height of ****
Under these tense conditions, hardly will you see a graduate that will scape through and qualify for just the application, invariably such graduate is unemployable by such company.
How do we expect an average Nigerian graduate with 4years of experience to be less than 28years of age, it’s hardly possible even if you attended a private varsity where you might scape through the trap of ASUU strike throughout your undergraduate life. Also, setting a minimum height for a job, though it might actually be of great importance, depending on the kind of job, but that condition already made all the short ones unemployable,if possible, employers should keep it at bay.

Lack Of Good Grade
: This doesn’t need much story as the idea is straight. Imagine a graduate roaming the street and submitting series of applications with a certificate which no one can brag about, let’s just leave a specific grade out for now. Little did we know that the four or more years that will be spent in a tertiary institution goes a million miles in determining and dictating one’s future in one way or the other, once it’s taken with levity, such person might graduate and become unemployable as he/she will have nothing to offer academically, and mere seeing his/her certificate will become a turn off for potential employers, no matter the skills.

Bad Nation’s Education Sector
: Unfortunately, this revelation is not shocking given the realities of Nigeria’s education system. Once the shining beacon on the African continent with people coming from the Carribbean and even as far away as Asia to take advantage of our reputable educational institutions, Nigerian students now sit for months on end in their homes waiting for classes to resume because their lecturers must strike to get the federal government to agree to a living wage for them. Pathetic! Examining the issue from the possible root, Poor funding and management of our Educational system is a major problem. Our federal government will never watch NLC go on strike for days without taking swift actions, probably because they will lose revenue. But since ASUU strike has no or less financial detriment, they are hardly concerned. Then I wonder how a graduate who spent series on months intermittently chilling in his hometown during his undergraduate days due to strikes and its alternatives will come out being employable.

Conclusively, the whole nine yards of this post is to summarise some of the reasons why Nigerian graduates are unempoyable. Bearing in mind that there is a method to the madness of the post, it will be better to tackle the message instead of the messenger.
SOURCE

Practise Job Aptitude Tests

38 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by INTROVERT(f): 10:13am On Jul 10, 2015
How about

When you don't have a godfather.

25 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Goovo(m): 10:13am On Jul 10, 2015
:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Nobody: 10:15am On Jul 10, 2015

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by histemple: 10:18am On Jul 10, 2015
This points are absolutely true. No doubt. But while we ascribe the avoidable but pitiable unemployment rate in our nation to these excuses, It is my informed submission that all graduates are employable but the conundrum is identifying where such graduates are needed to fully maximize their latent potential. And based on this premise, it is a problem of lack of sufficient employment opportunities. Even in the best universities in the world, we still have dunce there and some of their graduates are also incompetent but that is not to totally exonerate some of our schools from the blame. Our curriculum needs to be reviewed because sometimes they load our brains with courses that are not related or useful to our course of study.
The university/college only guides an individual to achieve a well defined controlled behaviour called discipline but how far you develop yourself is entirely your own volition depending on how voracious you are for more information and knowledge. Thanks to the Internet.
Our government should create jobs for everyone because I insist that all graduates are employable in some areas across all the sectors of the economy including agriculture. Government should stop hiding under the cloak of unemployability to justify the lack of job creation.
Most importantly, while everyone can't be entrepreneurs, our graduates should consider self employment. Have you ever wondered why there is no employee in the list of the world's richest persons?

70 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by EduRegard: 10:26am On Jul 10, 2015
shudi:
brb
Segadem:
Ok
Viktor1983:
ok
tuoyoojo:
ok
omanifrank:
ok
lordtech:
Ok
Dharniel:
SUPAMODE:
nawaoo
Goovo:
:
INTROVERT:
And here comes some of the so-called unemployable graduates....

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Haywhymido(m): 10:31am On Jul 10, 2015
Nigeria - a hopeless country am telling u

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Tallesty1(m): 10:34am On Jul 10, 2015
Spot on
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Justjyde(m): 10:35am On Jul 10, 2015
Start at Primary1-6: Teach dignity of labour.
At JSS1-3: Teach basic hand-work and business skills.
At SSS1-3: Each student must have a trade along with formal education

At SSS3 graduation: Student can decide to pursue his/her trade or take further apprenticeship in same or another trade

At University: Flexible opportunity to practice trade (with compensation commensurate to productivity) can be in form of a trade center that produces real products for National/International consumption

At Graduation: Graduate already has 4-7 years experience (depending on course of study), some cash (where possible) and dignity!!

See, problem fixed!

43 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by kennboiy(m): 10:37am On Jul 10, 2015
No be our fault na,some lecturers no de do their job na only to de follow woman.See them with pot bellies

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Juxtified(m): 10:52am On Jul 10, 2015
Most people blame the education sector but the reality is, the contribution of the sector to graduate unemployment is just down the ladder as you have rightly put it

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Juxtified(m): 11:04am On Jul 10, 2015
histemple:
This points are absolutely true. No doubt. But while we ascribe the avoidable but pitiable unemployment rate in our nation, It is my informed submission that all graduates are employable but the conundrum is identifying where such graduates are needed to fully maximize their latent potential. And based on this premise, it is a problem of lack of sufficient employment opportunities. Even in the best universities in the world, we still have dunce there and some of their graduates are also incompetent but that is not to totally exonerate some of our schools from the blame.
The university/college only guides and individual to achieve a well defined controlled behaviour call discipline but how far you develop yourself depends on how voracious you are.
Our government should create jobs for everyone because I insist that all graduates are employable in some areas across all the sectors of the economy including agriculture. Government should stop hiding under the cloak of unemployability to justify the lack of job creation.
Most importantly, while everyone can't be entrepreneurs, our graduates should consider self employment. Have you ever wondered why there is no employee in the list of the world's richest persons?
Lady, you deserve an award for that last statement - there's truly no employee on the list of the world's richest persons.

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by EduRegard: 11:11am On Jul 10, 2015
histemple:
This points are absolutely true. No doubt. But while we ascribe the avoidable but pitiable unemployment rate in our nation, It is my informed submission that all graduates are employable but the conundrum is identifying where such graduates are needed to fully maximize their latent potential. And based on this premise, it is a problem of lack of sufficient employment opportunities. Even in the best universities in the world, we still have dunce there and some of their graduates are also incompetent but that is not to totally exonerate some of our schools from the blame. Our curriculum needs to be reviewed because sometimes they load our brains with courses that are not related or useful to our course of study.
The university/college only guides an individual to achieve a well defined controlled behaviour call discipline but how far you develop yourself is your own volition depending on how voracious you are for more information and knowledge. Thanks to the Internet.
True talk though

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by YerYer: 12:00pm On Jul 10, 2015
I disagree somewhat, employers tend to hire based on favoritism and hardly on merit in Nigeria. They are quick to hire taller, prettier, bustier women over one who's just average looking. You can't tell me every Nigerian graduate isn't employable common, are the employers multinationals like IBM, Google, or Cocacola?

4 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Nobody: 12:01pm On Jul 10, 2015
Like seriously? shocked I agree with some of the points though.
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by shudi(m): 12:01pm On Jul 10, 2015
Op, please include the following;

Lack of God fathers

Lack of political contacts

Lack of beauty (ladies)

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by kingarizona1(m): 12:01pm On Jul 10, 2015
Noted... Next step... Entrepreneurship

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Nobody: 12:02pm On Jul 10, 2015
Very true
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by eleko1: 12:02pm On Jul 10, 2015
embarassed undecided
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by donsmall94(m): 12:02pm On Jul 10, 2015
eleko1:
embarassed undecided
I hear
Ur moniker reminds me of one guy like dat 4 my school SUG excos d guy lipsrsealed though.
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Nobody: 12:03pm On Jul 10, 2015
EduRegard:

SMH
you say?
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Nobody: 12:03pm On Jul 10, 2015
I am not bothered with employment because i have created something for myself and others. I don't look at people i work with as working for me but working with me and for themselves to take this country to greater heights. So while i have nothing against seeking employment, it's time Nigeria youths stop looking for the easy way out- Get a job with that one skill you know, remain there for years, retire, get pension and die. God forbid that all you had was coming to this world, living and dying and leaving no legacy, no chains of businesses for your children, no acts of philanthropy to remember you for and worse no one learned how to be great or wealthy from you. You just came and left like the plants in the field and the animals in the zoo.

Last Bullet For peeps still wanting to break free from the job hunting craze and start earning from the internet selling on fiverr and other freelance websites and as well as build their own business offline from skills acquired, please check our website link on my signature below. Don't want to explicitly advertise here.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by omanifrank(m): 12:03pm On Jul 10, 2015
ok

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by lordtech(m): 12:04pm On Jul 10, 2015
Ok
EduRegard:

And here comes some of the so-called unemployable graduates....

shocked shocked Lol. Anyway I guess you're not far from the truth. I'm actually not looking for employment but looking for who to employ instead. You never can tell, you might be my next employee wink cool
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Akynzodeighbour(m): 12:04pm On Jul 10, 2015
So you are trying to say over 3million nigerian graduates are unemployable?
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by money121(m): 12:04pm On Jul 10, 2015

Call/whatsapp 08085310359 for your original stone coated roofing Tiles
See some of our project here >> https://www.nairaland.com/1806991/see-some-project-carried-out
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by tuoyoojo(m): 12:04pm On Jul 10, 2015
ok

we were made to believe that once u get good grades in school that a job would be waiting for u....in so doing the innate entrepreneurial traits is then allowed to die.
this i believe is the reason for the quagmire we are in now

..so hence this over dependence on jobs...

i believe there should be change in school curriculum to include business management which should be to incorporated as part of the courses which is mandatory no matter what course one is reading in school

so that when students graduate, they could stand on their own

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Segadem(m): 12:04pm On Jul 10, 2015
Ok

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Viktor1983(m): 12:05pm On Jul 10, 2015
its not late though. they can take some courses and improve.
Lol! Educated illiterates

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ebola: School Owners, FG On Collision Course / Adey Orla Bags PhD In Biomedical Engineering From University Of Saskatchewan / Ezinne Okeke Gets Yam, Beans And Pawpaw As Best Creative Advert Student Of COOU

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.