Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,856 members, 7,820,981 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:00 AM

Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates (13578 Views)

Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable / Nigerian Graduates With First Class From Nottingham Trent University / Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by willibounce: 12:30pm On Dec 09, 2013
Rubbish talk. Even the crazy politicians will tell u that graduates are not employable. that's d simplest excuse to give for their failure and corruption.

Shebi na from sky d mumu HOUR people fall from. None of dem schooled in Nigeria abi? Idiot fellows.
Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by jay2k(m): 3:23pm On Dec 09, 2013
boay: Hello Nairalanders

Some human resources managers and other pundits in related fields have been peddling the idea of 'unemployability' to save and help Nigerian graduates.

One of them once said during a lecture that 'the problem of nigerian graduates is not the prevalence of unemployment that has pervaded the country's economy, but unemployability'

Inasmuch as it is crystal clear that unemployment is prevalent in our country, we should not give this as an exclusive excuse. It is important for us to focus on what we can change id est 'employability'. We can only complain about the high rate of unemployment, only our leader can change the staus quo.

So my question is how can a graduate be an employeable one?
. wait let me ask IFA
Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by kandeyc(m): 4:49pm On Dec 09, 2013
nicety: Chai 4th 2 comment...

Lyk seriously?
Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by rhames(m): 6:31pm On Dec 09, 2013
hollandis:
Sharaap ,entreprenur my foot,everyone is claiming entrepreneur .stupidd rice and beans entrepreneur
.The problem with Nigerian Graduate is not that they are unemployable ,but because the companies have not been fined for not employing them.When the govt starts

I am not a groundnut entrepreneur as u wish to call me. I run three outfits in confectionery,industrial equipments sales and haulage with a combined workforce of 50 people.
Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by rhames(m): 6:35pm On Dec 09, 2013
Xsolutions: Sir with everything you've said and explained...isn't your last sentence suppossed to be 'Tip' of the ice berg smh

what I meant is, the internet is a useful tool for any graduate and non graduae who can read an d write to pick up the pieces and learn something. For everyone reading this, I will recommend that you should read anything you can find about business plans. In this age, you have got to start building your business early. grin
Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by rhames(m): 6:37pm On Dec 09, 2013
collynzo2: For someone crtiticising graduates for thier ''mistakes in basic communication'', you made a lot yourself.
Mistake 1: the pronoun ''I'' should always be capitalised.
Mistake : don't instead of dont.
Mistake 3: ''graduate doesn't'' or ''graduates don't'' instead of ''graduate dont''.
Mistake 4: their qualifications ''have'' instead of ''has''.
Mistake 5, 7 & 8: refer to mistake 2 above.
Mistake 6: can't instead of cant.

Mistake 9: it is called ''tip of the iceberg''.

Thanks for noting the human side of me. But i disagree with you on the last one.Chip off the iceberg
Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by rhames(m): 6:51pm On Dec 09, 2013
oladayo042: You had 23 years of experience and retired at the age of 39, did you start working at the age of 16? #JustAsking

sure i did.

I passed my WAEC at 14 and started to fend for myself and my junior ones because we had poor parents. It was tough and i had to sacrifice a lot in that aspect including my education.

From the age of 16 to 20 i worked in three audit firms as a clerk where i was able to save and pass my ICAN ATS II, (5 years)
From the age of 21 to 23 I worked in three law firms where I was a the clerk and litigation officer in the first one (3 Years)
From the ages of 24 to 39 I worked for 15 Years in a conglomerate where I was able to gather some cash , experience and connections to help build my businesses.
Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by mkoabiola: 11:24pm On Dec 09, 2013
It getting out of hand.
Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by dhaewood(m): 12:15am On Dec 10, 2013
[b]MOST LACK PROBLEM SOLVING SKILLS, WHICH ARE NEEDED BY ORGANISATIONS .....AS AN EMPLOYER I DONT CARE WHAT CERTIFICATE U HAVE AS LONG AS YOU CAN COMMUNICATE WELL IN ENGLISH & YOU HAVE PROBLEM SOLVING SKILL I WILL EMPLOY YOU........................

Problem-Solving Strategies

Problem-solving strategies are the steps that one would use to find the problem(s) that are in the way to getting to one’s own goal. Some would refer to this as the ‘problem-solving cycle’. (Bransford & Stein, 1993) In this cycle one will recognize the problem, define the problem, develop a strategy to fix the problem, organize the knowledge of the problem, figure-out the resources at the user's disposal, monitor one's progress, and evaluate the solution for accuracy. Although called a cycle, one does not have to do each step in order to fix the problem, in fact those who don’t are usually better at problem solving.The reason it is called a cycle is that once one is completed with a problem another usually will pop up. Blanchard-Fields (2007) looks at problem solving from one of two facets. The first looking at those problems that only have one solution (like math problems, or fact based questions) which are grounded in psychometric intelligence. The other that is socioemotional in nature and are unpredictable with answers that are constantly changing (like what’s your favorite color or what you should get someone for Christmas).
The following techniques are usually called problem-solving strategies
Abstraction: solving the problem in a model of the system before applying it to the real system
Analogy: using a solution that solves an analogous problem
Brainstorming: (especially among groups of people) suggesting a large number of solutions or ideas and combining and developing them until an optimum solution is found
Divide and conquer: breaking down a large, complex problem into smaller, solvable problems
Hypothesis testing: assuming a possible explanation to the problem and trying to prove (or, in some contexts, disprove) the assumption
Lateral thinking: approaching solutions indirectly and creatively
Means-ends analysis: choosing an action at each step to move closer to the goal
Method of focal objects: synthesizing seemingly non-matching characteristics of different objects into something new
Morphological analysis: assessing the output and interactions of an entire system
Proof: try to prove that the problem cannot be solved. The point where the proof fails will be the starting point for solving it
Reduction: transforming the problem into another problem for which solutions exist
Research: employing existing ideas or adapting existing solutions to similar problems
Root cause analysis: identifying the cause of a problem
Trial-and-error: testing possible solutions until the right one is found[/b]
Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by miolad20(m): 5:24am On Dec 10, 2013
Polchiz: Even school cert-holders are employable.
Of course, when someone fails exam, he will tell you that his grand mother is a witch.
The ONLY reason why there is high rate of unemployment in Nigeria is that, our institutions produce 100times more graduates than the labour market can absorb.
As simple as ABC.
Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 6:13am On Dec 10, 2013
nicety: Space reserved......

Guy still try wise up if dem ban u na u do urself oh.....
Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by boay(m): 11:12am On Dec 10, 2013
wonderful contributions. Thanks. I adjure everyone to learn from this
Re: Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates by boay(m): 6:39am On Dec 21, 2013
I really appreciate everyone who commented. Thanks so much. I have learnt from your comments and I believe others did also. Thank you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Chibok Girls’ WAEC Results Ready – Minister / Photos: Yinka Ayefele’s Handsome Son Graduates From Howard University / About Futminna Admission List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.