Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,361 members, 7,819,295 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:50 PM

Catholicism & Idol Worshiping - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholicism & Idol Worshiping (4967 Views)

Woman Worshiping God Without Hands And Legs / Stop Worshiping Your Pastors - John Okafor Aka Mr Ibu / Paganism And Catholicism: Sun Worship Symbols (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Catholicism & Idol Worshiping by foemy: 5:55pm On Dec 05, 2013
http://www.lovethetruth.com/jis_images/mary_worship34.jpg. Wot is your take on this? Is this not realy idol worshiping?
Re: Catholicism & Idol Worshiping by harbiola1(m): 7:01pm On Dec 05, 2013
foemy: http://www.lovethetruth.com/jis_images/mary_worship34.jpg. Wot is your take on this? Is this not realy idol worshiping?

What is the definition of Idol Worshiping?
Re: Catholicism & Idol Worshiping by Nobody: 9:35pm On Dec 05, 2013
Kamsy10: Normally I don't criticize churches, I just walk away from a church when I hear sermons that are hypocritical and certainly meant for selfish interests.
People that criticize the catholic church apparently dont know jack about the catholic church.
For me I am a catholic who once left the faith and joined other churches to see if there's a better church.Note I was a devoted worker in each church I went but after hearing and learning the stuff some of those pastors preach, MEHN, I quietly went back to the catholic faith. Catholic might have some shortcomings but it's unrivalled compared to the churches I've been to. I'm so happy I retraced my steps.

Here are some of the lies you'll hear from the pulpit:

1. Tithe/offering will take you to heaven since we live in the new testament now and God keeps no record of sins. Therefore tithe/offering is what really matters now.
(Meanwhile tithing was ONLY mentioned in the old testament)
2. If you need a job, car, child etc and you're not tithing, God will not bless you. (False)
(Haba. Even pro.sti.tutes get pregnant and have children.Many CEOs don't even go to church not to talk of tithe.Rom9:15 says 'I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy,...etc. Matt 7:7 says ask and you shall receive. Check with the richest men in the world. Again pastors have to chose which one to emphasize and which ones not to. I don't blame them sha)

3. If you tithe, you cant be sick, loose your job, get into an accident or get robbed.
(So why do they run to the bank immediately after collecting tithes and offerings to avoid robbery. And they travel oversees for medical checkups, and fly jets and move around with heavy security guards)

4. God asked me to do this, God asked me to do that . Even to the point that God asked them to divorce and marry another one.
(1cor 6:9 says no adulterer shall see the kingdom of God. God has asked you to marry and divorce 2times and heading for the third one)

5. We now live in the new testament, the old testament doesn't count anymore. so dress however you like, men perm your hair if you like to church, youths can fornicate and it doesn't count, girls can come to church naked if it makes them comfortable, just do whatever you like, since Christ has died, you don't have any problem. We now live under grace.
(ok. so why is tithe the center of the sermon everyday knowing that tithe was only mentioned in the old testament. The funny part is the same pastors will say you should not add or remove from the word of God)

6. We are the true Christians, we're emulating Christ, we're Christ-like cos we're born again.
(ok. so why is this rule not applicable to the jet flying pastors. Last time I checked, Christ didn't have a private jet and he drove those who were turning the church into a money making venture but alas our pastors will be identifying with politicians so they too can get a brown envelope. Instead of preaching to them to help create employment for the jobless youths in the church, they simply shower prayers for them and collect offering. Doesn't sound like what the Christ I know will do)

7. Christ was very rich and he wore an expensive robe that is why they cast lots on his robe to decide who should have it.
(ok. Even if the robe was expensive, so your definition of a rich man is a person who has one expensive robe. Why fabricating lies such as these against Christ just to justify the acquisition of an aircraft.

8. We need jets cos we're spreading the gospel to china,japan,america etc
(How come all your pastors in those countries are not able to run the branches for you and then report to you. I guess you're the only one called by God. Nothing is wrong with visting once in a while. Why travelling there every week or month as the case may be or are you worried about them not giving you proper account of the money they're collecting.
Also I used to think they were actually converting the indigenes of those countries, but I discovered that in most of those churches,its mostly their tribal people that actually worship there. In other words,you'll only find only Africans there. Note: I've been to a few countries,and they've bn the same so far)

9.Catholics are doing confessions, blessing holy water, burning incense, worshipping images, and giving holy communion, therefore they are hell bound.
(Why do they have counseling sessions on a particular day of the week where the member tells them about his past life and and how they want God to forgive them and they want to turn a new live and They pray for him/her. Sorry that is not confession, it is called counseling. Did I mention that they carry the stickers of their pastor and his family on their cars, pictures in their homes, offices EVEN ON THEIR BIBLES. Did I mention that they now bless and give holy communion. Confirm from redeemed and winners chapel.
Also they bless handkerchiefs and carry them around like juju or otumokpor

10. God told me to start my own church that's why I started this church
( No problem but why do you become a stumbling block when one of your pastors receives the same vision and wants to start his own. Some even go as far as cursing the person. )

My point is "the last day will be full of surprises but I pray that God will have mercy on all of us" AMEN
Re: Catholicism & Idol Worshiping by foemy: 10:37pm On Dec 05, 2013
Idol worshing is wen u make graven image & adore such image.exo 20 : 4-5a 4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: 5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God,
Lev 26:11 Ye shall make you no idols nor graven image, neither rear you up a standing image, neither shall ye set up any image of stone in your land, to bow down unto it: for I am the Lord your God.
Re: Catholicism & Idol Worshiping by harbiola1(m): 11:00pm On Dec 05, 2013
foemy: Idol worshing is wen u make graven image & adore such image.exo 20 : 4-5a 4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: 5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God,
Lev 26:11 Ye shall make you no idols nor graven image, neither rear you up a standing image, neither shall ye set up any image of stone in your land, to bow down unto it: for I am the Lord your God.

What is the difference between praying to Mary and praying to Jesus
Re: Catholicism & Idol Worshiping by harbiola1(m): 7:05am On Dec 07, 2013
harbiola1:

undecided
Re: Catholicism & Idol Worshiping by italo: 9:41am On Dec 07, 2013
harbiola1:

The difference is Jesus is God while Mary is not.

When we "pray" to Mary, we are asking her to intercede for us before her Son, our Lord...

...like you would ask anyone to pray for you.
Re: Catholicism & Idol Worshiping by harbiola1(m): 10:13am On Dec 07, 2013
italo:

The difference is Jesus is God while Mary is not.

When we "pray" to Mary, we are asking her to intercede for us before her Son, our Lord...

...like you would ask anyone to pray for you.
But i learnt from the bible that Jesus is not the "Sole God", and He has "Godhead" with distinct personality. Isn't it?
Re: Catholicism & Idol Worshiping by italo: 10:21am On Dec 07, 2013
harbiola1:
But i learnt from the bible that Jesus is not the "Sole God", and He has "Godhead" with distinct personality. Isn't it?

Show me where you learnt that.
Re: Catholicism & Idol Worshiping by harbiola1(m): 1:32pm On Dec 07, 2013
italo:

Show me where you learnt that.

Lol, u're pulling ma legs, no props.

John 20:17.
"I have not yet ascended to the father; but go to my breathen and say to them, I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God"
Re: Catholicism & Idol Worshiping by italo: 3:24pm On Dec 07, 2013
^^

I dont see where that statement says that "Jesus is not the sole God."
Re: Catholicism & Idol Worshiping by harbiola1(m): 4:27pm On Dec 07, 2013
italo: ^^

I dont see where that statement says that "Jesus is not the sole God."

Was Jesus his own Father&God?
Re: Catholicism & Idol Worshiping by italo: 4:55pm On Dec 07, 2013
harbiola1:

Was Jesus his own Father&God?

In a sense, yes.

1 Like

Re: Catholicism & Idol Worshiping by harbiola1(m): 5:15pm On Dec 07, 2013
italo:

In a sense, yes.

When Jesus was in the world, who controlled heavens and earth?
Re: Catholicism & Idol Worshiping by italo: 5:37pm On Dec 07, 2013
harbiola1:

God.
Re: Catholicism & Idol Worshiping by harbiola1(m): 7:38pm On Dec 07, 2013
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/trinity
Jesus prayed to God not to himself.
Re: Catholicism & Idol Worshiping by harbiola1(m): 7:39pm On Dec 07, 2013
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/trinity

Jesus is not the same as God.
Re: Catholicism & Idol Worshiping by MurderX: 7:43pm On Dec 07, 2013
Religion is Idolatory.
Re: Catholicism & Idol Worshiping by italo: 8:08pm On Dec 07, 2013
harbiola1: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/trinity

Jesus is not the same as God.

The link you offered is saying Jesus is God, "whole and entire."
Re: Catholicism & Idol Worshiping by macof(m): 9:49pm On Dec 07, 2013
harbiola1:

Exactly.

If Jesus is God then who sat on the throne on god's absence?
Re: Catholicism & Idol Worshiping by harbiola1(m): 10:07pm On Dec 07, 2013
italo:

The link you offered is saying Jesus is God, "whole and entire."

The Father is not the Son.
The Father is not the Holy spirit.
The Father is God.

The Son is not the Father.
The Son is not the Holy spirit.
The Son is God.

Holy spirit is not the Father.
Holy spirit is not the Son.
Holy spirit is God.

Three distinct Persons and three distinct Gods, what do you call that?

And in the ninth hour Jesus shouted "My God, My God, why have thou forsaken me"

Matthew 27:46
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity
Re: Catholicism & Idol Worshiping by italo: 3:33am On Dec 08, 2013
harbiola1:

The Father is not the Son.
The Father is not the Holy spirit.
The Father is God.

The Son is not the Father.
The Son is not the Holy spirit.
The Son is God.

Holy spirit is not the Father.
Holy spirit is not the Son.
Holy spirit is God.

Three distinct Persons and three distinct Gods, what do you call that?

And in the ninth hour Jesus shouted "My God, My God, why have thou forsaken me"

Matthew 27:46
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity

John 10:30 The Father and I are one.

38 but if I do them, even if you do not believe me, believe the works, so that you may know and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father.

John 14: 8 Philip said to him, “Lord, show us the Father, and we will be satisfied.” 9 Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and you still do not know me? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?
Re: Catholicism & Idol Worshiping by italo: 3:36am On Dec 08, 2013
macof:

Exactly.

If Jesus is God then who sat on the throne on god's absence?

My God can be in more than one place, even everywhere at a time...unlike you god who is confined to one tiny space given him by humans.
Re: Catholicism & Idol Worshiping by harbiola1(m): 6:24am On Dec 08, 2013
italo:

John 10:30 The Father and I are one.

38 but if I do them, even if you do not believe me, believe the works, so that you may know and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father.

John 14: 8 Philip said to him, “Lord, show us the Father, and we will be satisfied.” 9 Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and you still do not know me? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?

Jesus and Father are different person?
Re: Catholicism & Idol Worshiping by italo: 10:19am On Dec 08, 2013
I am sure you can read and understand.

harbiola1:

Jesus and Father are different person?
Re: Catholicism & Idol Worshiping by macof(m): 11:13am On Dec 08, 2013
italo:

My God can be in more than one place, even everywhere at a time...unlike you god who is confined to one tiny space given him by humans.

So humans are the ones that assign duties to God? Smh u have a mental problem
Re: Catholicism & Idol Worshiping by hisxlency: 11:32am On Dec 08, 2013
When these mush rum churches are tired of persecuting our faith, guess what ? They will face themselves
Re: Catholicism & Idol Worshiping by hisxlency: 11:41am On Dec 08, 2013
If you call the offspring of man =man, and the offspring of lion =lion. and the offspring of goat =goat. and the offspring of rat =rat. what while you call the offspring of GOD (a) jesus (b) man (c) spirit (d)GOD
Re: Catholicism & Idol Worshiping by harbiola1(m): 2:00pm On Dec 08, 2013
hisxlency: If you call the offspring of man =man, and the offspring of lion =lion. and the offspring of goat =goat. and the offspring of rat =rat. what while you call the offspring of GOD (a) jesus (b) man (c) spirit (d)GOD

I know that according to the bible Jesus is God.

My question is;
WHY ARE YOU NOT WORSHIPING THE GOD(a.k.a FATHER) THAT JESUS WORSHIPED?
Re: Catholicism & Idol Worshiping by harbiola1(m): 2:03pm On Dec 08, 2013
hisxlency: If you call the offspring of man =man, and the offspring of lion =lion.
and the offspring of goat =goat. and the offspring of rat =rat. what while you call the offspring of GOD (a) jesus (b) man (c) spirit (d)GOD

My question is;
Re: Catholicism & Idol Worshiping by italo: 3:31pm On Dec 08, 2013
macof:

So humans are the ones that assign duties to God? Smh u have a mental problem

Your god. That's why you think my God is confined, like your god.

Why are you insulting me? Is that your last resort when you run out of reason?
Re: Catholicism & Idol Worshiping by italo: 3:34pm On Dec 08, 2013
harbiola1:

My question is;

Who said we dont worship the Father?

You just make up your own ridiculous assumptions.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

5 Facts About Abortion For The Anti-abortion Crusaders / The Meaning Of To Lose Your Self For Christ Sake / What Has God Done For You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.