Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,896 members, 7,817,642 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:10 PM

Opensource 3D Game Participation Call - Programming (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Opensource 3D Game Participation Call (22325 Views)

Going Opensource With Asp.net!! / The Best E-commerce Platform For Nigeria (opensource) / How To Make Money With Opensource (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by BlueMagnificent(m): 9:11am On Feb 25, 2015
aje75:
i remember d last time i checked in here it was more lik castles in d air but now very much of a reality. its great to know dat nd hoping to work with u guys soon enough. great job.

Even building castles in the air can be possible if there is a passion to make it a reality smiley. Thanks alot for the encouragement... Believe me, there are more developments coming

1 Like

Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by BlueMagnificent(m): 12:15pm On Feb 27, 2015
Good Day Everyone...

This is more of a notification to all that our wonderful project is still on. For those that do not know much about this project, allow me to give a brief run down and situation on ground.

Code Named Project DARKDOVE, this project is an initiative to develop an Open Source 3D game. The language of choice is C++ with Urho3D ([url]urho3d.github.io[/url]) running the show as the Game Engine. Due to Urho3D's AngelScript binding, AngelScript serves as the adopted scripting language. The official forum for DARKDOVE is at http://darkdove.proboards.com/ though this Nairaland thread will still be actively updated grin . There is also an official GitHub account https://github.com/DARKDOVE which already has the first stage of out Proof-Of-Concept, Drone Anarchy, hosted on it. Currently a tutorial guide for those new to Urho3D is being worked and would be updated on DARKDOVE starting from next week. This guide would also explain the implementation of Drone Anarchy.

2 Likes

Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by BlueMagnificent(m): 6:15am On Mar 10, 2015
Good Morning Everyone...

I just found out that making documentation isn't all that easy smiley , its quite a job. But nonetheless I'm pleased to announce that the first part of our basic Urho3D Tutorials which will be based on Drone Anarchy has just been put up at official Project DARKDOVE forum grin grin . The Tutorial as a whole is titled The Urho Flow and since the plan is to make it simple and moderate at first then extend later, it will have three parts. The First two will look into Urho3D's features while the third will talk on the implementation of Drone Anarchy based on these features.

Here is the link for those who might be interested http://darkdove.proboards.com/post/94

1 Like

Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by John5117: 8:52am On Mar 11, 2015
Well....if u want to do something awesoMe use unReal4
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by BlueMagnificent(m): 3:54pm On Mar 11, 2015
John5117:
Well....if u want to do something awesoMe use unReal4

lol... Yeah believe me when I tell u that we have a reason for choosing Urho3D. And awesomeness does not depend on engine smiley

2 Likes

Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by GoodBoi1(m): 11:20pm On Mar 11, 2015
I see you guys have gone far. Would love to join but I've been really occupied. Unreal engine 4 is now free
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by BlueMagnificent(m): 3:01am On Mar 12, 2015
GoodBoi1:
I see you guys have gone far. Would love to join but I've been really occupied. Unreal engine 4 is now free

Its a good thing its free so that more people can have access to it but as a heavy weight engine it packs lots of punch and baggages that most times are not needed
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by KazukiIto(m): 1:02am On Mar 14, 2015
Blue I hope you still remember me. Firstly, thanks for the wxwidgets advice, it really made my defense awesome. secondly I think I've gathered enough knowledge to contribute on this wonderful project, just have it at the back of your mind, that you have a new participant on this project. thanks for your time
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by BlueMagnificent(m): 7:07am On Mar 14, 2015
KazukiIto:
Blue I hope you still remember me. Firstly, thanks for the wxwidgets advice, it really made my defense awesome. secondly I think I've gathered enough knowledge to contribute on this wonderful project, just have it at the back of your mind, that you have a new participant on this project. thanks for your time

Welcome onboard, there are still seats smiley . When u are ready to lay ur hand on something u might want to start by getting Urho3d, having a look at Drone Anarchy and reading up the little tutorials that are on this projects official forum
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by BlueMagnificent(m): 8:35am On May 23, 2015
Wow last post since March 14 It seems Project DARKDOVE has finally stagnated...

... I don't think so smiley

Good Day once again after a very long "Radio Silence" . Project DARKDOVE is a goal to be achieved, and I'm looking forward, together with every other passionate mind, to achieving it cool

First Things First... For those of you like us grin that follow the development progress of Uhro3D "bumper to bumper" this might not be a news. But to other our capable game engine, Urho3D, has reached version 1.4 with lots of features like support for Direct3D11, OpenGL 3.2 , WebGL via Emscripten , Detour Crowd Implementation and so many bug fixes, some of which were discovered by our simple DARKDOVE team smiley

As has always been the link, you can get more info about this and even get your own Urho3D distribution at http://urho3d.github.io

Work is on-going on the Base Framework and Architecture that Incub8 would be developed on and equally a hunt for game assets and models. And Drone Anarchy is taking a new shape, thanks to a Team Member who is currently implementing support for Console Game Controllers.

That's the little I can leak out for now
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by BlueMagnificent(m): 7:36am On May 31, 2015
Good Morning Creative Minds...
Our Proof Of Concept, Drone Anarchy, now has support for Game Controller (Game Pad) and has also been tested on linux platform. Currently we have a handful of further enhancements and additions lined up for it in the coming days. Will still brief u guys on how its going.

Of course you can get the latest source from our GitHub repository https://github.com/DARKDOVE/Drone_Anarchy
And don't forget our mantra... "Every complex thing is made up of little simple parts"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by BlueMagnificent(m): 5:02pm On Jun 28, 2015
Good Evening... What a wonderful week ahead and quite an era of busy days it has been.

Project DARKDOVE has been progressing at an interesting rate thanks to the "Enhancing the Proof of concept" exercise currently going on in our little humble development team.

A handful of Urho3D features are being experimented using DroneAnarchy and you'd be surprise to find out that there are lots of commit on the Git repository to that effect. DroneAnarchy's source code has been greatly refactored with the game objects remodeled to make game play easily extensible grin . Currently experiments are on going in area of Multiplayer, Mobile Player Object as against the currently fixed position and implementation of Detour Crowd for Drone navigation.

And yes, it is still open source, smiley everyone can see how it was all made. Feel free to peruse through the code at the Github repository or better still join the project at http://darkdove.proboards.com

More information to come later as the week moves on
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by John5117: 8:40pm On Jun 29, 2015
I use urho3d, becos ov the editor basically, I was checking polycode but I chooses urho3d , I have a level prototype for an African RPG game....d first page looked tyk crap wen I saw orge3d, bak 2 d point i started with unreal4 spent 3mnths nothing to show becos ov d learning curve.....my level prototype is in 3D and i use c++,sucks wen my wall doesnt look realstic as i want it to be , mayb writn shaders go solve d prob....i use Blender and zbrush for my assets, your dark drove game sounds lyk a great idea as those that neva saw a single player to play it unless the game developer....not to discourage cos d truth is nobody wants crap or play crap....your game would have a LOT of ASSETS speaking artistically nd to build it u will need tym...my advice pitch anoda small idea and let's make it happen....i would love to make a game...nt look @ my textures and b sad..nt d editors fault bt to stay afloat licences i started creating my own textures with clay dat i snaped from a mud wall with a bad android camera, if show u d texture u no dey happy bt d thing in urho is i could juz change d diffuse texture with an i def i 1..God Bless Cycles baking...d truth is aw fa is ur development stage + ur storyline + ur level design skills, ur concept art, ur modelling skills i could go on and on esp ur programming skills, do u use c++ oop or c++ scripting...include <Urho/Urho3d.h>....# I will join afta can ur project afta compiling it....its great and fun wen programmers and artists work in groups.....
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by John5117: 9:53pm On Jun 29, 2015
BlueMagnificent:

lol... Yeah believe me when I tell u that we have a reason for choosing Urho3D. And awesomeness does not depend on engine smiley
Sure.....aw iz d development coming cos I saw only 2 contributors on github
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by BlueMagnificent(m): 10:18pm On Jun 29, 2015
John5117:

Sure.....aw iz d development coming cos I saw only 2 contributors on github

Development has actually been moving at an impressive pace. At the Official DARKDOVE forum there are roughly 13 members, me inclusive, but unfortunately majority are inactive. The contributors currently are myself and one of our newest members who has really done a lot to enhance Drone Anarchy.

From your earlier post there seems to be some misconception about the current development in DARKDOVE. We are currently not working on the Main DARKDOVE Project which is Incub8:Eve, instead we are running series of incremental experiments and tests of Urho3D's capability as a proof of concept in the form of Drone Anarchy.
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by Stconvict(m): 11:30am On Aug 25, 2015
BlueMagnificent:

Development has actually been moving at an impressive pace. At the Official DARKDOVE forum there are roughly 13 members, me inclusive, but unfortunately majority are inactive. The contributors currently are myself and one of our newest members who has really done a lot to enhance Drone Anarchy.

From your earlier post there seems to be some misconception about the current development in DARKDOVE. We are currently not working on the Main DARKDOVE Project which is Incub8:Eve, instead we are running series of incremental experiments and tests of Urho3D's capability as a proof of concept in the form of Drone Anarchy.
2013 damn! Where was I then?
Dude, Am I late to the party?
I'd love to join the project.
C++! Finally, people who don't run away from it.
Where is it hosted? grin
*EDITED*
Seen it.
I'll see how much I can contribute coz I'm neck-deep in libGDX.
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by BlueMagnificent(m): 4:26pm On Aug 25, 2015
Stconvict:

2013 damn! Where was I then?
Dude, Am I late to the party?
I'd love to join the project.
C++! Finally, people who don't run away from it.
Where is it hosted? grin
*EDITED*
Seen it.
I'll see how much I can contribute coz I'm neck-deep in libGDX.

Naahhhh!!!! No one is late for this party grin

Urho3D's API has a very neat structure and is very easy to understand and code with.

Welcome on board
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by Stconvict(m): 12:56am On Aug 26, 2015
[s]@ BlueMagnificent
I thought the project was C++ oriented. I can only see angelscripts and other game assets.
[/s]
There isn't enough doc about the engine.
Can the engine allow me to go as low-level as writing shaders and making OpenGL API calls?
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by BlueMagnificent(m): 8:02am On Aug 26, 2015
Stconvict:
There isn't enough doc about the engine.
Can the engine allow me to go as low-level as writing shaders and making OpenGL API calls?

Urho3d source distribution comes with a html doc (which is also online) , while I agree that the doc might not be as exhaustive as that of other game frameworks, the docs when combined with the code of the provided samples, is more than enough for the average "Hacker Joe" to start coding with Urho3d

You want to write shader? Awesome!!!! Though Urho3D comes with a handful of shaders in HLSL and GLSL, you can still write yours and add into the pipeline as easy as ABC

About OpenGL call?
:/
Urho3D is built up by third party libs and this includes OpenGL and Direct3D depending on ur choice and platform. But one good thing about Urho3D's inclusion of these libs is that there is an abrastion layer over them, so the API u work with is that of Urho3D and not of the underlying lib
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by BlueMagnificent(m): 8:50am On Aug 26, 2015
Stconvict:

I thought the project was C++ oriented. I can only see angelscripts and other game assets.

The project is a C++ project, AngelScript is a C++ like Scripting Language used by Urho3D in extending an application. AngelScript is used in DARKDOVE mainly for prototyping: Just write the code and run it (compile time is soooooooooo negligible) . Now when you are satisfied with the code, you can port it easily to C++.

You'll notice that Urho3D's Samples also come in AngelScript flavor (as well as lua, which is another scripting language supported by Urho3D).

Most of the "experiments" we conduct in DARKDOVE are done in AngelScript so we can quickly test out an idea before implementing it.
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by Stconvict(m): 1:05pm On Aug 26, 2015
BlueMagnificent:

Urho3d source distribution comes with a html doc (which is also online) , while I agree that the doc might not be as exhaustive as that of other game frameworks, the docs when combined with the code of the provided samples, is more than enough for the average "Hacker Joe" to start coding with Urho3d
I've seen a friendlier place to get started. Time to get the engine kicking! cool
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by Stconvict(m): 1:10pm On Aug 26, 2015
BlueMagnificent:

The project is a C++ project, AngelScript is a C++ like Scripting Language used by Urho3D in extending an application. AngelScript is used in DARKDOVE mainly for prototyping: Just write the code and run it (compile time is soooooooooo negligible) . Now when you are satisfied with the code, you can port it easily to C++.

You'll notice that Urho3D's Samples also come in AngelScript flavor (as well as lua, which is another scripting language supported by Urho3D).

Most of the "experiments" we conduct in DARKDOVE are done in AngelScript so we can quickly test out an idea before implementing it.
Yeah, I've seen that now.
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by BlueMagnificent(m): 3:23pm On Aug 26, 2015
Stconvict:

I've seen a friendlier place to get started. Time to get the engine kicking! cool

I guess you won't be surprise seeing three external links there pointing to our humble project grin . I will work to increase the number of those links
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by BlueMagnificent(m): 6:38pm On Dec 26, 2015
Season greetings everyone grin

It has really been an interesting year. Unfortunately there has not been much activity here on Nairaland but that doesn't mean nothing was happening. For those that have been visiting the forum ([url]darkdove.proboards.com[/url]) you'll notice that a lot has happened over the past months. But I'll be pleased to highlight some of them. Game controller (Game Pad) integration was added, a server based implementation for multi-player game play was experimented and lots of code-base refactoring.

and yes that is Drone Anarchy running on a laptop and on an android phone. grin We achieved a successful porting to Android and there was even an experimental emscripten implementation to run on web. It has really been interesting and I bet there are lot more to come. So once again Season Greeting from the DARKDOVE team

1 Like

Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by losprince(m): 10:48am On Jan 08, 2016
I couldn't build urho3d couldn't build drone anarchy
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by BlueMagnificent(m): 2:08pm On Jan 08, 2016
losprince:
I couldn't build urho3d couldn't build drone anarchy

On which platform are you building it, which tools are you using and what are the errors thrown?
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by losprince(m): 2:37am On Jan 10, 2016
BlueMagnificent:

On which platform are you building it, which tools are you using and what are the errors thrown?
i've been trying to build urho3d
on windows 7 with cmake but i've not been able to get my head around the tutorials online...
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by BlueMagnificent(m): 10:02am On Jan 10, 2016
The unofficial Uhro3D wiki contains tutorials and guides to building Urho3D
http://urho3d.wikia.com/wiki/Unofficial_Urho3D_Wiki
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by Nobody: 11:27am On Jan 11, 2016
gat no experience whatsoever buh am a game freak, can I still join darkdove?
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by BlueMagnificent(m): 1:25pm On Jan 11, 2016
Damager:
gat no experience whatsoever buh am a game freak, can I still join darkdove?

Sure!!!
You don't necessarily have to be a programmer grin
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by SniperX0: 4:24pm On Mar 20, 2016
Hi, I need a 2D game developer for an urgent project. If u are available or u av someone pls send me a mail to emekaeze090@gmail.com

BlueMagnificent:
I recently conceived an idea for an opensource 3d game to be written in c++. It would take me close to a year of steady work if I'm to do it alone, so I'm opening up the development process to everyone who would like to be part of the project which includes c++ programmers, concept artists, 3d modellers and animators, sound engineers (or anyone good in sound effects), and anyone who has something to offer, you don't necessarily have to be a professional. Note that this is a participation call and not a job posting embarassed what I mean by that is that there is no payment to anybody for whatsoever ever contribution made, this is more like a community work. The major form of reward is the joy of being part of the team that made an Proudly Nigerian Opensource 3D Game ( at least for the record cool ) . Unfortunately there is no inclusion of financial sponsors in the list of needed people. The Main aim of this project is to make a good (if not excellent) 3D game with free and available tools so that everyone can easily learn from it and make greater projects later

WHYS:

1 ) why no financial sponsor?
Yeah I will also ask myself that question. Do you remember that time you had a great idea that could turn you to the next Mark Zuckerberg only for your potential investors to call it a scam cry . That's so bad and I wouldn't want our honest effort to be rubbished by such accusation. If anyone has some cash to drop in, well, that will be appreciated grin ,but we will not make any donation call of any sort for this project

2) why c++ ?
Building a game engine from scratch for our game to run on is really not a easy task, however, there are a handful of game engines, free and proprietary, we can use. But in order to make sure everyone can afford it I decided to go with an opensource game engine, most preferably Ogre3D game engine ( well its more of a rendering engine). Now to the question, Ogre3D is coded in c++ ( my mother tongue wink ), so I guess we sing the same tune with it. Besides c++ is fast and efficient for real time application like games and simulations.
And most importantly to show those young programmers out there that c++ can really be fun and its far easy to learn as against the rumor of it being hard.

3 ) why opensource ?
Who wouldn't love to make cash cool ,but I've benefited a lot from opensource projects that I think its time to give back, even if its one tiny little project smiley . Actually my major reason for choosing to make it opensource is so that ideas will be easily crowed sourced thereby helping the project to grow. And also to help all those fellows struggling to comprehend how " cout << "HelloWorld \n", " could ever make any sense in a bigger perspective.

4) Why don't you have to be a professional?
I am not a professional either, but I'm very very good in the things I do grin . If you are a professional, well good, if you are not but you are good in what you do, excellent. We won't be checking certificates grin

CONCLUSION
Lets just see what we can do in this project and see how far its going to go (it's gonna reach the end for sure cool)
Re: Opensource 3D Game Participation Call by SniperX0: 4:44pm On Mar 20, 2016
Hi Chuksy, I like what i see. Is this game live. Can u send me a mail to emekaeze090@gmail.com . I av a project.

Chuksxy:
Hey man. I'm volunteering to help out on the game. I could model, texture, rig and animate. My 2d skills aren't that great, but I could also do some concept art.

Some of my 2d stuff:
mock ups and concept art I made for a fan game a while ago.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Help Me Write The Quadratic Equation (almighty Formula) In This Languages / Please Rate This: My First Data Visualization Project / Can I Learn Programming From My Android Phone?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.