Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,249 members, 7,953,930 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 09:12 AM

The Nigerian Police Force... From A Different Angle - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Nigerian Police Force... From A Different Angle (995 Views)

Let's Look At Buhari's Appointments From Another Angle / PHOTO: Nigerian Police To Pay N100m Compensation Over Death Of Lawyer Detainee / Escape Of Kabiru Sokoto: Zakari Biu Dismissed From Nigeria Police Force (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Nigerian Police Force... From A Different Angle by Rich4god(m): 2:47am On Dec 07, 2013
Good day fellow Nairalander's
First of all, am not am English scholar neither is English my native language, so all those self acclaimed English Lord should please spare me any grammatical corrections. Though polite corrections are welcomed.
To the main issue... Am not in any way defending the negative behaviour, actions and lack of professionalism portrayed by some of Nigerian Police officers. But I want us to take this issue from another angle... Let me just call it... "The police perspective."
Most Nigerians have a negative view about the Nigerian Police Force... To the extent that they most time feel "irritated" (sorry for the word) whenever they hear or see anything/anyone that carries the badge of the NPF. They believe that an average police officer is a "criminal in uniform"(quoted) or that police officers are inhuman and insensitive to the people they protect. But have you/we ever been in their shoe or turn the table around so that youwe can imagine things from their own perspective.
We all know that for someone to be able to perform a job like that of the NPF, certain things are supposed to be on ground for him so that he can put in his best on the job. Such things include:-
1)Protection (both on field and off field)
2)Training/Equipment
3)Encouragement/Award/Recognition
4)Insurance/Renumeration
5)You can add your own.
*Before I proceed, I want you to ponder on this... Have you ever noticed/wonder why the security details or personnel (ie Mopol and Police) of our top goverment officials looks much more better than their counter parts on the streets. The former are fully kitted with sweet uniforms and bullet proof vests, look fresher,(most time) ride on AC cars and seems as if their guns are more cleaner and newer while the later... well, you can say for yourself. With this "little" differences, you'd expect the former to perform much more better than the later.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Police Force... From A Different Angle by khadaffi(m): 3:03am On Dec 07, 2013
Op is that all?
Re: The Nigerian Police Force... From A Different Angle by Rich4god(m): 3:05am On Dec 07, 2013
Now to my points...
1)Protection:- Have you ever assessed a police officer on normal patrol and see how venerable he is in the hands of the daredevils. It will take just one bullet to put him down and when such happens, there is no emergency medical team that can help save his life. Even when rushed to hospitals, lack of equipment at the hospitals might further endanger his life. Now take for instance...assuming a police patrol team are faced head on with robbers wielding the same fire power as the police and probably out numbered. How will the police face such criminals who are ready to die and seem to be at more advantage than the police. On the hand, the police knowing that they are no match for the guys and with no back up officers arriving soon, will yield to natures call... "survival instinct" run for your life (if its a distress call, dont respond till the criminals are long gone)... Most of us(if not all) will do same.
2)Training/Equipment:- I dont know where the police get their training from. But from what I have seen so far, their training cannot keep them rolling in this 21st century... So their is no how they can meet our expectation interms of professionalism. As we all know, lack of proper training hinders one from performing well.
I still dont know why our govt(Ministry of police affairs and high ranking police officers) cant provide/release state of the art weaponry/equipment to the police for effective crime fighting. Just take a look...
#Weaponry--Fair
#Bullet proof vest--Zero
#Mobility/Armored vehicle--Fair
#Training--Cant rate
#Communication--Zero (the last I can remember, its one walkie talkie per patrol vehicle. Still wondering how the police will communicate among themselves if they have to split into sub-unit)
#Writing/Storage materials(electronic gadget)--Zero
#You can add your own
I can remember one of my friend saying that one patrol vehicle of NYPD is more equiped than the average police station in Nigeria. Though it was a joke, but am beginning to see some atom of truth in what he said. With the way our police are equiped, how will our police perform... even the best police officer on this planet will be helpless.
3)Encouragement/Award/Recognition:- I dont know how the NPF seem to be encouraging their best and gallant officers. But from the little I know, I dont think their is any award for them (my own observation, stand to be corrected).Why cant NPF set up scheme that will always recognise the brave and best corps either at state/zonal/federal level. No matter how small the award might be, be it monetary or otherwise will go along way to boast the morals of the police officers who risk their life to protect us knowing fully well that they will be appreciated and recognised by the people and government
Re: The Nigerian Police Force... From A Different Angle by Rich4god(m): 3:15am On Dec 07, 2013
4)Insurance/Renumeration:- Dont want to talk about their salary cos I dont really know the salary scale of the police, but I dont know why most of the junior officers look unprofessional. On the issue of insurance, I noticed that the police may not be doing enough to compensate the families of officers killed/wounded in the line of duty. Given the families 2-5 million naira as compensation might not be enough to put the affected family out of its misery (something like a long term plan should be in place for them). With this in mind, most officers wont risk putting their life in danger knowing fully well that if they are killed in the line off duty, their families may have to bear the grunt. How will they put in their best...?
Check here for a real scenario https://www.nairaland.com/1521104/families-police-officers-lost-lives#20052636
*Ever wondered why our officers perform professionally well when in UN missions off the shores of Nigeria?... I guess there are better packages for them.
Let me stop here so it wont look as if am trying to create a text book.
In summary, before you start criticizing a police officer, put yourself in his shoe and imagine if you would act differently if faced with his condition. Rather than face the officer, why not channel your annoyance to the top officials esp the ministry of police affair(I still dont know if the ministry still exist cos am not seeing their impact)
Lastly... Fellow Nairalander's, we are now in the festive period... as you make your plans for xmas/new year, remember the police officers on the street watching over you. Try getting a gift for them no matter how small, walk up to a patrol team and hand it over to them, it may sound ridiculous, but you dont know the difference it will make. Also for those of us travelling, why not just get something for our highway patrol officers... Even if it is a bunch of banana, bags of pure water, bread, g/nut or cashew nut etc... am sure you will meet a road block during the course of your journey. That moment that you have been cleared by the officer to carry on with your journey, hand him over what you bought for them, telling them its for the season, show them some love and make them feel appreciated in their effort of trying to keep crime at bay in our society. Put a smile on their face and see how happy and grateful they will be.
Remember... Police is your friend. So if their action portray them as enemies to us... Then its time for us to be their friend.
NOTE... This is my own view and am not a politician... just trying to see things from another angle.
Thanks for reading.
Re: The Nigerian Police Force... From A Different Angle by Rich4god(m): 3:16am On Dec 07, 2013
khadaffi: Op is that all?
You for allow me land na... undecided undecided undecided
Re: The Nigerian Police Force... From A Different Angle by genali(m): 7:14am On Dec 07, 2013
this is so far the best article i've read. giving them gifts will make them feel happy especially when the seem to have bad reputation from the public
Re: The Nigerian Police Force... From A Different Angle by Rich4god(m): 11:56am On Dec 07, 2013
genali: this is so far the best article i've read. giving them gifts will make them feel happy especially when the seem to have bad reputation from the public
Thanks for the compliment...
Re: The Nigerian Police Force... From A Different Angle by Rich4god(m): 3:55pm On Dec 09, 2013
Re: The Nigerian Police Force... From A Different Angle by SLIDEwaxie(m): 4:33pm On Dec 09, 2013
A failure alwys has an excuse...undecided
Re: The Nigerian Police Force... From A Different Angle by Rich4god(m): 11:14pm On Dec 09, 2013
SLIDE waxie: A failure alwys has an excuse...undecided
What do you mean...
Re: The Nigerian Police Force... From A Different Angle by mikolo80: 12:38am On Dec 10, 2013
So cos they are badly said and trained they should harass citizens abi what are you talking
Re: The Nigerian Police Force... From A Different Angle by UyiIredia(m): 1:14am On Dec 10, 2013
genali: this is so far the best article i've read. giving them gifts will make them feel happy especially when the seem to have bad reputation from the public

Trust me ! We (ie the Nigerian public) have given them gifts. I myself was first extorted by policemen when about 18 years, not to mention the money we must 'drop' when they are do what is their job.
Re: The Nigerian Police Force... From A Different Angle by UyiIredia(m): 1:18am On Dec 10, 2013
@ Rich4god: Very good points. Still, they are very much part of the problem and by no means should they be excused from blame on account of what you've stated. I best undersgand it as the immediate problems to be tackled to enhance the police force: BTW, they are poor on public relations.
Re: The Nigerian Police Force... From A Different Angle by Rich4god(m): 1:27am On Dec 10, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Trust me ! We (ie the Nigerian public) have given them gifts. I myself was first extorted by policemen when about 18 years, not to mention the money we must 'drop' when they are do what is their job.
Well, I understand you. But I dont mean given them something when they make you do, I mean, just get something, no matter how little and give it to them. Make them feel that the people love and appreciate them.
Re: The Nigerian Police Force... From A Different Angle by Rich4god(m): 1:30am On Dec 10, 2013
Uyi Iredia: @ Rich4god: Very good points. Still, they are very much part of the problem and by no means should they be excused from blame on account of what you've stated. I best undersgand it as the immediate problems to be tackled to enhance the police force: BTW, they are poor on public relations.
Like I said earlier, am not defending their misconduct, but dont you think that their lack of public relation stem from the fact that they are poorly trained.
Re: The Nigerian Police Force... From A Different Angle by Rich4god(m): 9:55am On Jul 01, 2014
The 1st step to fixing this country is starting from the security personnel... Number one being the police...

(1) (Reply)

Summary Of Obasanjo Letter To Goodluck Jonathan / 15 Days To Go , Where Is The Massive Flood Predicted For 2013 ? / APC Will Win 2015 Election - Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.