Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,602 members, 7,809,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:48 AM

Help! Student Result Database ERD - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Help! Student Result Database ERD (1834 Views)

Connecting To A Remote Database / Capture Image From Webcam And Store In Mysql Database From C Sharp Winform / How Do I Connect A Form To Mysql Database (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! Student Result Database ERD by webcalculator(m): 6:32pm On Dec 07, 2013
Please o, I am having problem organizing my database-A secondary school result managing system, My First site on the process of learning programming. I am using sqlalchemy to design students result database and I am stuck on how to link results, subjects, assignment and exam to the db. Please help me. I am still learning please. God bless you. My Erd goes like this

1. table( student )
student_id=primary key
order student details

2. table Class
class_id=primary key
class name

3. table Term
term_id=primarykey
name

4.table( Enrolment )
primarykey=enrolment_id
student_id=foreignkey references student table via one-to-many
class_id = foreignkey references class table via one-to-many
section = column
subjects = a collection of subjects from the many-to-many resolution table( enrolment_subjects ) below the student will choose

5. table enrolment_subjects
enrolment_id = foreignkey references enrolment table
subject_id = foreignkey references subjects table

6.table subjects
subject_id = primarykey
subjectname=column
NB: I have been able to return from query, students enrolled to a particular class including the subjects the students are assigned. I will appreciate any reference. thanks in advance
Re: Help! Student Result Database ERD by Nobody: 8:49pm On Dec 07, 2013
Hello, I will like you to explain what you mean by linking result, assignment etc to the db. If i am trying to paraphrase your problem you are either

1) Looking for how to create results, subject, assignment and exam table and how to do proper referencing (relationship)
2) You already have results, subject, assignment and exam tables and you want to query multiple tables to form a single report

I am just guesting your problem, please explain what you want well before i can help.

Cheers.
Re: Help! Student Result Database ERD by webcalculator(m): 9:24pm On Dec 07, 2013
Nekon J: Hello, I will like you to explain what you mean by linking result, assignment etc to the db. If i am trying to paraphrase your problem you are either

1) Looking for how to create results, subject, assignment and exam table and how to do proper referencing (relationship)
2) You already have results, subject, assignment and exam tables and you want to query multiple tables to form a single report

I am just guesting your problem, please explain what you want well before i can help.

Cheers.

Thanks Nekon J, my major problem is the highlighted and also I think the relationship I have done above is not quite good. I understand my entities but the problem is their relationships. Thanks in advance
Re: Help! Student Result Database ERD by Nobody: 8:28pm On Dec 08, 2013
webcalculator:

Thanks Nekon J, my major problem is the highlighted and also I think the relationship I have done above is not quite good. I understand my entities but the problem is their relationships. Thanks in advance

If the system is for secondary school and assume they still operate as follows
1) JSS student takes all available subjects for JSS
2) SSS student either take science or art subjects
3) From JSS 1 to JSS 3, we normally take the same subject (Though diff topics eg, Maths, Eng, Social Studies etc. are subject name and they dont change, we can't add or subtract subject because JSS 1 to 3 take a fix number of subject)
4) From SSS1 to SSS 3, either science or art student will take the same subjects

If your business domain operates in this manner then
1) Because we can't add or remove subject in either JSS or SSS (After choosing science or art for SSS) and we do repeat each subject every term. (Let say Level is either JSS or SSS) so your enrollment table will relate with Level (levelId) and Student(studentId) but not Class because JSS 2 student will not need to enroll again because they know that all subject taken in JSS 1 will continue till JSS 3.

You won't need Student Subject entity again because each subject is link to a level and level is already linked to Enrolment (If a student enroll for let say Level JSS, we will know all the subjects for that level. Some subjects are offered in both JSS and SSS eg. English, Maths, CRK, Computer Study etc. so we have to introduce Level Subject Entity)

Your Subject table remain
subject_id
Name

Level Table:
level_id
name (this is either JSS or SSS)

Your Term table, Class Table and others here.

LevelSubject will be like
subject_id
level_id

Your Enrollment entity will be
4.table( Enrolment )
primarykey=enrolment_id
level_id = foreignkey
The rest attribute goes here

Assessment table will look like:
assessment_Id
student_id
class_id
term_id
test1
test2
exam
total

I hope this help. You may name your entity anything else for example i have Level which you may name something else.
Re: Help! Student Result Database ERD by webcalculator(m): 9:08am On Dec 09, 2013
Nekon J:

If the system is for secondary school and assume they still operate as follows
1) JSS student takes all available subjects for JSS
2) SSS student either take science or art subjects
3) From JSS 1 to JSS 3, we normally take the same subject (Though diff topics eg, Maths, Eng, Social Studies etc. are subject name and they dont change, we can't add or subtract subject because JSS 1 to 3 take a fix number of subject)
4) From SSS1 to SSS 3, either science or art student will take the same subjects

If your business domain operates in this manner then
1) Because we can't add or remove subject in either JSS or SSS (After choosing science or art for SSS) and we do repeat each subject every term. (Let say Level is either JSS or SSS) so your enrollment table will relate with Level (levelId) and Student(studentId) but not Class because JSS 2 student will not need to enroll again because they know that all subject taken in JSS 1 will continue till JSS 3.

You won't need Student Subject entity again because each subject is link to a level and level is already linked to Enrolment (If a student enroll for let say Level JSS, we will know all the subjects for that level. Some subjects are offered in both JSS and SSS eg. English, Maths, CRK, Computer Study etc. so we have to introduce Level Subject Entity)

Your Subject table remain
subject_id
Name

Level Table:
level_id
name (this is either JSS or SSS)

Your Term table, Class Table and others here.

LevelSubject will be like
subject_id
level_id

Your Enrollment entity will be
4.table( Enrolment )
primarykey=enrolment_id
level_id = foreignkey
The rest attribute goes here

Assessment table will look like:
assessment_Id
student_id
class_id
term_id
test1
test2
exam
total

I hope this help. You may name your entity anything else for example i have Level which you may name something else.

Nelkon J, thanks very much for the time you have taken to write this, go through my problem; I really appreciate. God will bless you. Let me give it a short.
Re: Help! Student Result Database ERD by boro43(m): 11:25am On Dec 10, 2013
Am well exprienced in using dreamweaver nd Mx-kollection.It can be done easily.Get back to me as soon as possible
Re: Help! Student Result Database ERD by webcalculator(m): 4:50pm On Dec 11, 2013
boro43: Am well exprienced in using dreamweaver nd Mx-kollection.It can be done easily.Get back to me as soon as possible

What is dreamweaver and your Mx-kollection at this age?

I am a newbie to programming but i am sure better than you.

(1) (Reply)

All You Will Ever Need To Learning Web Development The Right Way / Who Else Does Copypasting? / Please Am Having Problem On My Gionee F103 3g And 4g Sevice Pls Enta And Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.