Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,815 members, 7,820,877 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:22 AM

The Day Mandela Came To Town - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Day Mandela Came To Town (855 Views)

I Didn’t Know Why I Came To Rule Now – Buhari / Tinubu Came To See Me 3 Times B4 I Approved Oando Conocophilips Deal - Diezani / Panic And Confusion In Zambia As 'jesus' Came To Town (PIX) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Day Mandela Came To Town by jayflex: 12:56am On Dec 08, 2013
February 2nd, 1990, to the relief of the civilised world The Honourable Nelson Rolilahla Mandela was released by former South African President FW De Klerk after 27 years of incarceration by the country's apartheid regime that was to crumble shortly after. The inevitability of his release was due to among a cocktail of factors including the global deification of Mandela as the spiritual leader of South Africa's resistance in a rapidly changing world that had seen the Berlin wall come down months before then.

For decades Nigeria had been a heavy supporter of the Anti-Apartheid/Free Mandela campaign and our dream was about to come true. As a teenager in those days it was normal to have grown up amidst a culture of anti-apartheid protest. Besides the dangerous pens wielded by writers back, we also had songs by the likes of Fela Anikulapo-Kuti ("Beast of no nation"wink, Sonny Okosun ("Fire in Soweto"wink, Majek Fashek ("Free Mandela"wink and an army of khaki clad militant reggae artistes that were the rave back then. (Not to mention a special edition of defunct comic, "Ikebe Super" in which the protagonists Papa Ajasco and Pa James with the aid of juju, successfully lead an army into SA and overthrow President Botha) It was natural that weeks before his release, welcome rumours had been filtering in that the amiable and indeed noble FW De Klerk would let Mandela go home and the excitement ran thick until it came to pass.

Sonny Okosun's 1977 smash album
Shortly after his release, accompanied by his gorgeous then wife and comrade, Mrs. Winnie Mandela, he embarked on an African tour to visit and thank the nations that had supported the struggle for freedom and Nigeria was not left out. He arrived in Lagos on board a Presidential jet and by stroke of luck he visited Enugu, then capital of Anambra State. This writer was a schoolboy in the Federal Government College and as a keen follower of the news, I knew that the military governor, Col. Robert Nnaemeka Akonobi (Rtd) had organised a grand public reception for him at the Okpara Square, Independence Layout. With the help of an older cousin who was going, I hatched and carried out the successful plan to attend the event and get a glimpse of my hero.

Read the rest at http://kizarofaro..com/2013/12/flashback-when-mandela-came-to-town.html

1 Like

Re: The Day Mandela Came To Town by Nobody: 1:02am On Dec 08, 2013
Most people on this forum will pretend as if Nigeria military government wasn't the major supporter of the Anti-Apartheid regime, including boycotting commonwealth meetings.

1 Like

Re: The Day Mandela Came To Town by russellino: 1:24am On Dec 08, 2013
Interesting. I didn't know he came to Nigeria back then.
Re: The Day Mandela Came To Town by franktolk(m): 2:15am On Dec 08, 2013
Jayflex .... big Kudos from me to you ... ur very current with events.

oohhhhh u picked it up from somewhere ...anyway thumbs up to you ..
Re: The Day Mandela Came To Town by jayflex: 11:46am On Dec 08, 2013
franktolk: Jayflex .... big Kudos from me to you ... ur very current with events.

oohhhhh u picked it up from somewhere ...anyway thumbs up to you ..

Thanks!! But why u hail me come troway me for ground na? Is it easy to pick correct story like this? All join

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

[tribute] Mandela Movie "Long Walk To Freedom" / Asari Dokubo Writes Letter To Obasanjo,calls Him Chief Assassin / Liberia President Apologises To Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.