Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,204 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:40 PM

Mandela Or Fela, Who Did More? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Mandela Or Fela, Who Did More? (920 Views)

Woman Strips Unclad To Hug Mandela Statue / Nelson Mandela Is Dead / Mandela Movie Smashes S.africa Box Office Record (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mandela Or Fela, Who Did More? by sokarsenal(m): 3:00pm On Dec 08, 2013
I was in a football viewing centre yesterday watching the man utd vs newcastle game and before the match there was a minute applause/silence for the great MANDELA as it is in all EPL matches this weekend. Everybody in the hall was talking about how Mandela suffered for black South africans and black in general.....then there was the SHOCKER.....a man (above 40) began to ask what the fuss about MANDELA. He went on to even 'suggest' that FELA had done more for africans than MANDELA...it was a silly comment to me...but i wanted more views....MANDELA or FELA who did more?
Re: Mandela Or Fela, Who Did More? by Nobody: 3:07pm On Dec 08, 2013
sokarsenal: I was in a football viewing centre yesterday watching the man utd vs newcastle game and before the match there was a minute applause/silence for the great MANDELA as it is in all EPL matches this weekend. Everybody in the hall was talking about how Mandela suffered for black South africans and black in general.....then there was the SHOCKER.....a man (above 40) began to ask what the fuss about MANDELA. He went on to even 'suggest' that FELA had done more for africans than MANDELA...it was a silly comment to me...but i wanted more views....MANDELA or FELA who did more?
I really don't give two f,ucks about Mandela either, but for a 40 year old man watching football matches at a viewing centre, that's terrible.
Re: Mandela Or Fela, Who Did More? by sokarsenal(m): 3:56pm On Dec 08, 2013
it is but you still haven't answered the question....who fought for freedom more in your own opinion?
Re: Mandela Or Fela, Who Did More? by Osgilliat(m): 4:16pm On Dec 08, 2013
Fela fought corruption more than freedom.he used his resources at his disposal(music) for him to be heard.on the part of the late mandella he tackles freedom which also sent a message to the black and white country.he was one of the key factor that curbs racism.he was able to achieve victory for his people...but fella never did,and we missed him.
Re: Mandela Or Fela, Who Did More? by sokarsenal(m): 4:40pm On Dec 08, 2013
@sgilliat......so if im not mistaken you say Mandela? And your is osgilliat....LOrd of the rings if i'm not mistaken
Re: Mandela Or Fela, Who Did More? by Osgilliat(m): 5:26pm On Dec 08, 2013
sokarsenal: @sgilliat......so if im not mistaken you say Mandela? And your is osgilliat....LOrd of the rings if i'm not mistaken

Its mandela.
Re: Mandela Or Fela, Who Did More? by Afam4eva(m): 5:43pm On Dec 08, 2013
Some people say Mandela is overated. What then do we say about Fela. I think he's one of the most overhyped people of the 20th and 21st century. Even people who don't know what he did will be the ones singing his songs the most. I don't see how what Fela did to what other anti corruption voices have done. So, it's an insult to compare Fela to mandela who has formed an ideology that has endeared people all over the world and not just in his native South Africa. This is a man who was fighting for freedom before he was locked away for decades. Fela has nothing on him.
Re: Mandela Or Fela, Who Did More? by sokarsenal(m): 7:06pm On Dec 08, 2013
@afam4eva.....my point exactly?.....an insult
Re: Mandela Or Fela, Who Did More? by cap28: 8:40pm On Dec 08, 2013
Fela was a great and selfless man who led from the front just like Mandela, but the only problem was that unlike Mandela he did not have a huge following. Many Nigerians looked down on Fela and were not interested in understanding what he stood for, the problem with revolutions is that you cant force people to follow you if they are too st.upid, cowardly or timid to understand your message. The people of south Africa stood firmly behind Mandela and continued to fight the apartheid system even during his incarceration, sadly in the case of Fela Nigerians refused to get behind him and give him the necessary backing that a revolutionary leader requires in order to be victorious. Fela went through all the beatings and persecution with very little support from the Nigerian people, had he not been from a prominent family he would have been murdered by the military long before he died. All revolutionary leaders require the support of the masses in order to be successful - a good example is Fidel Castro and Hugo Chavez, without the support of the masses these charismatic leaders would never have succeeded.

So to answer your question both did their best, I wouldn't say one did more than the other as their individual circumstances were different. South Africans are more aware of who their real enemies are and therefore got behind Mandela and gave him their full support, if Nigerians were more aware of who their real enemies are they would have given Fela the full support that he required in order to be a successful revolutionary leader. This is probably the reason that Fela became disillusioned with the Nigerian masses and released a song called Look and Laugh, where he finally gave up on the NIgerian masses because he realised that the average Nigerian does not understand who their real enemy is. Fela lost all hope in NIgerians during the 1993 elections when Nigerians voted for MKO Abiola a known thief, coup d'état financier and enemy of Nigeria, here is a man who was as fraudulent as they come but who many Nigerians bent over backwards to vote in as president. I think at that point Fela completely gave up on Nigerians and it was at that point that his health also started deteriorating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uby1iMtfuCM

1 Like

Re: Mandela Or Fela, Who Did More? by sokarsenal(m): 9:08pm On Dec 08, 2013
@cap28......nice opinion though and objective.....but dont you think if Fela had a 'decent' lifestyle a lot of nigerians would have followed him more than they did
Re: Mandela Or Fela, Who Did More? by cap28: 9:21pm On Dec 08, 2013
sokarsenal: @cap28......nice opinion though and objective.....but dont you think if Fela had a 'decent' lifestyle a lot of nigerians would have followed him more than they did

Thanks Sokarsenal but answer this question - Does Obasanjo have a decent lifestyle?Did MKO Abiola have a decent lifestyle?

What is your definition of decency?

The Nigerian senator who defiles pre pubescent girls in the name of marriage how decent is his own lifestyle?

I think we need to be careful when judging people.

Fela was an eccentric, he did not believe in one man one woman just like 99.9&% of Nigerian men but unlike them he was not a hypocrite and practised what he preached openly.

besides he married all of his concubines thereby making his relationship with them respectable by Nigerian standards.
Re: Mandela Or Fela, Who Did More? by sokarsenal(m): 9:35pm On Dec 08, 2013
@cap28......i understand you and i wasn't judging Fela....at least not in the case of the women....i meant the marijuana and all
Re: Mandela Or Fela, Who Did More? by cap28: 9:53pm On Dec 08, 2013
sokarsenal: @cap28......i understand you and i wasn't judging Fela....at least not in the case of the women....i meant the marijuana and all

No worries bros, like I said Fela was an eccentric, he openly smoked marijuana because I believe it enhanced his creativity and overall performance on stage. Many musicians use drugs to enhance their performance , Bob Marley openly smoked weed and was a great performer but above all he was a great humanitarian. Many of our politicians take class A drugs with nothing to show for it.
Re: Mandela Or Fela, Who Did More? by sokarsenal(m): 9:57pm On Dec 08, 2013
lol @your final sentence
Re: Mandela Or Fela, Who Did More? by Nobody: 12:46am On Dec 09, 2013
You've said it all you were at a viewing center so he was probably drunk. Besides unnecessary rivalry between the two was uncalled for as they both believe in the same thing.
Re: Mandela Or Fela, Who Did More? by sokarsenal(m): 7:52am On Dec 09, 2013
[quote author=FOOL FINDER]You've said it all you were at a viewing center so he was probably drunk. Besides unnecessary rivalry between the two was uncalled for as they both believe in the same thing. I thought about the drunken part...but that's not the issue...and he wasn't drunk...drinks arent's sold in that viewing center
Re: Mandela Or Fela, Who Did More? by Nobody: 12:43pm On Dec 09, 2013
BoboYekini: I really don't give two f,ucks about Mandela either, but for a 40 year old man watching football matches at a viewing centre, that's terrible.
how about 70 year old men who watch matches in pubs ( football centres ) in britain ?
Re: Mandela Or Fela, Who Did More? by Nobody: 4:27pm On Dec 09, 2013
obadiah777: how about 70 year old men who watch matches in pubs ( football centres ) in britain ?
lol. Pub/bar is a totally different thing. Even beer parlor is much much better. Viewing centers in these parts are usually over-populated by sweaty teenage boys, you're packed in like sardine, the noise, the heat. Well you get what you pay for at N100/match.

(1) (Reply)

Muslim Terrorism Is Fake, A Perspective From Australia / Bizarre & Wonderful Things U Can Get From VENDING MACHINES Around The World(PICS / Check Out The Background Of New Canadian Cabinet - Hit Or Miss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.