Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,930 members, 7,817,720 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:53 PM

Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. - Literature (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. (66414 Views)

Bloody theresa (fictional Thriller) / ASOIAF Quotes / Game Of Love (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by Gbola5(m): 11:57am On May 07, 2015
blublahd:

how he managed not to have the targaryen features is what GRRM should explain.
The blackfyre bastards despite being not pure targaryens had the features- Bryden Rivers comes to mind.
Or is it a case of 50:50?

I think dark hair is dominant over blonde.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by Gbola5(m): 11:58am On May 07, 2015
The Crownlands: approx. 15,000-25,000 men and 210 warships. King's Landing 's City Watch has 2,000 men (raised to 6,000 men during the events of the novels, though the new recruits are of poor quality compared to the old). The lords of Duskendale , Stokeworth, Rosby and other castles can raise between 10,000 and 20,000 more troops. Dragonstone and the surrounding islands can raise around 3,000 troops, about 400 of whom would be mounted. 50 ships of the Royal Fleet are based at King's Landing. Their flagship is King Robert's Hammer. 160 ships (80 of them full war galleys) of the Royal Fleet are based at Dragonstone. The North: approx. 45,000-55,000 men, negligible sea power. The North has a total fighting potential of around 45-55,000 men. The sheer size of the North means that assembling this force is difficult, and can be severely reduced by agricultural needs depending on the season. There are around four footsoldiers to every one mounted. The Northern army that marched south with Robb Stark did not include many Northern Houses and clans due to the logistical issues at the time the war began and certain houses (such as the forces of House Reed) lacked experience in protracted open-warfare. Instead these forces were left behind to guard the North from potential counter-attacks, thus even with the Norths heavy casualties during the war several of their noble houses still possessed relatively intact forces. The North's last major fleet was destroyed by Brandon the Burner. Since then the North has had no strength at sea, just a few defensive ships based at White Harbor. During the War of the Five Kings, House Manderly received permission to begin building a major new fleet. The Iron Islands : approx. 20,000-30,000 men, 500 longships, 100 war galleys. The Iron Islands can raise about 20,000 men, with almost no cavalry to speak of. Most of these men serve as raiders and skirmishers on their ships. The ironborn have over 500 ships at their disposal, the overwhelming majority of which are longships, meant for coastal raiding, not pitched sea battles. The major exception is the Iron Fleet , which consists of 100 heavy way galleys dipping 100 oars or more. The flagship of the Iron Fleet is the Iron Victory . The Riverlands: approx. 50,000-60,000 men, negligible sea power. The Riverlands can quickly summon approximately 50,000-60,000 soldiers, though due to the regions rich agriculture these numbers can be increased at exceptional need which they can support better in comparison to some (such as the Stormlands and Iron Isles) less productive regions were feeding an army is a greater logistical concern. There are three foot to every one horse. House Frey can muster about 4,000 soldiers by itself. The Riverlands has no major fleet, just a small coastal force based at Seagard to discourage raiding. Barges, skiffs and river galleys can be found on the rivers, however.

1 Like

Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by Gbola5(m): 11:59am On May 07, 2015
The Vale of Arryn : approx. 45,000-55,000 men, negligible sea power. The Vale can muster about 45,000 soldiers, with three foot to every one horse. The Vale maintains a small defensive fleet at Gulltown. Although the Vale may seem weak, it is very good at defense, because of their defensive mountains which shield them from conflicts outside. The Westerlands : approx 50,000-60,000 men (including the "dregs" of Lannisport ), 50-70 warships. The Westerlands can raise about 60,000 soldiers at need but can be swelled by drafting poor and unfortunates from Lannisport. The ratio of foot to horse is unknown, although Tywin Lannister favors having about two to one. The Lannisters' immense wealth allows them to buy, train and equip the horses such numbers require, as well as hire large numbers of sellswords . When invading the Riverlands, the Lannister army is split into 15,000 men under Jaime and 20,000 under Tywin. These numbers are roughly doubled in the show, with both Tywin and Jaime having 30,000 men in their respective armies. Stafford Lannister was also in the process of training 10,000 additional "dregs" at Lannisport, before they were ambushed by Robb Stark. The City Watch of Lannisport is extremely well-trained, and constitutes the most disciplined feudal foot levy in all of Westeros. The Lannisters also field exceptionally well-trained pikemen, which can wheel on command. Ser Kevan Lannister is known to command the pikemen in battle. While the Westerlands cannot out-due regions such as the Riverlands or the Reach in terms of numbers, nor can they quite out match the North, Stormlands, Dorne or the Iron Isles in terms of pure combat experience they are more than capable of out- fielding other forces with the most advanced armour and weapons available. The Lannisters command a coastal fleet of between 20 and 30 cogs, galleys and dromonds based at Lannisport, and an additional 30-40 ships based along the coast. Since the Greyjoy Rebellion , the Lannisters have ordered all coastal houses to have naval forces. The Reach : approx. 120,000 men and over 300 warships. The Reach can muster a well-trained army of 100,000-120,000 men. At exceptional need this number can be raised with figures as high as 200,000 being rumored. Though such a force would be a considerable cost to equip and maintain if ever assembled. The Reach generals prefer a cavalry to footsoldier ratio of two-to- one, but this is not always possible. Historically the Reach has been able to outnumber other armies on the continent, but are not quite as well equipped as those found in the Westerlands or possess the hardened battle experience that infantry from other harsher regions such as the Iron Isles or the North possess. The Reach maintains an extremely large fleet at the Arbor, under the command of House Redwyne . This fleet consists of 200 warships which can dip 100 oars of more. The Shield Islands , the coastal houses, the Mander lords and the defensive fleet at Oldtown can all increase this number significantly.

1 Like

Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by Gbola5(m): 12:01pm On May 07, 2015
The Stormlands : approx. 35,000 men, negligible sea power. The Stormlands can raise about 35,000 men. They have a very poor horse-to- foot ratio, so most of their army is not mounted. Despite this, the Stormland forces are well-trained and equipped, particularly those based on the Dornish Marches. There is a small number of ships based around the coast, although there is a constant threat of storms smashing them apart. Dorne: Significantly less than 50,000 men, and negligible sea power. Dorne presents itself as being able to raise 50,000 men. A large part of their army consists of spearmen. Their horses are known as "sand-steeds" and are best- suited to light, hit-and-run attacks using horse archers (which Dorne has more of than any other army). Later, it was revealed that Dorne had significantly exaggerated its numbers and military power to appear more formidable than it really was. Doran Martell acknowledged that these numbers were exaggerated by Daeron Targaryen to make his military accomplishments seem greater than they were. The true numbers available to Dorne are not publicly known, although fan estimates generally put them at approx. 20,000-25,000. Dorne has very few ships due to the lack of good anchorages along its coast. Despite its' lack of ​ military resources, Dorne's desert terrain gives them a great advantage for defensive fighting, as do their elite spear-fighting bannermen and unusual guerilla tactics.

1 Like

Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by Gbola5(m): 12:03pm On May 07, 2015
Sorry, its long, i just felt y'all should know it ^.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by moski5(m): 7:20pm On May 07, 2015
sage1000:

Dorne isn't 50K strong, they are barely 20k at most. The 50k is misdirection and lies perpetuated by them to make them seem stronger than they really are.

They cannot go against any of the 7 kingdoms outside of Dorne as they would be curbstomped.

Abel as Mance is a favorite theory for a reason. it has many points in its favor.

As for Fake Arya, check out the Grand Northern Conspiracy theory.

the theories here are crazy and deep I've to read the book again to catch on Too many details i overlooked
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by LogoDWhiz(m): 3:02pm On May 09, 2015
Please, can someone give me a link as to where I can download d Game of Thrones books
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by oluamid(m): 10:47am On May 12, 2015
LogoDWhiz:
Please, can someone give me a link as to where I can download d Game of Thrones books

Go through previous pages you'll surely see download links.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by oluamid(m): 10:53am On May 12, 2015
According to the books(DwD) Mance is Abel disguising as a bard. While the washer women are spear wives. As for the strength of Dorne: The Dornismen are not known to be fierce warriors or winners of various conflicts. Rather, they are known for avoiding it. That is why though they are part of the 7 kingdoms they like to keep themselves apart from the politics surrounding the IT. They are however very cunning, lovers of pleasure, poison and deceptions and they hardly forget a slight. They like to play their politics by proxy not in anyway directly.

2 Likes

Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by LogoDWhiz(m): 11:16am On May 12, 2015
oluamid:

Go through previous pages you'll surely see download links.
Thanks. But its too much.
Can u please send it?
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by oluamid(m): 11:28am On May 12, 2015
LogoDWhiz:

Thanks. But its too much.

Can u please send it?

I'm sorry I don't have the links. The books is too heavy to send via email too. Can be sent via bbm tho.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by LogoDWhiz(m): 2:30pm On May 12, 2015
oluamid:

I'm sorry I don't have the links. The books is too heavy to send via email too. Can be sent via bbm tho.

Okay. I don't mind via bbm

Thanks!
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by ApexTitan(m): 10:40pm On May 12, 2015
A random question. What if winter does come, will it reach places down south like Dorne?
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by SIRcumalot: 3:14am On May 13, 2015
ApexTitan:
A random question. What if winter does come, will it reach places down south like Dorne?
The "winter is coming quote is a metaphor that means hard times are coming"" and not necessarily meaning the weather.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by ApexTitan(m): 4:51am On May 13, 2015
SIRcumalot:

The "winter is coming quote is a metaphor that means hard times are coming"" and not necessarily meaning the weather.

Are you saying that the decade long winters that has been hinted at severally is all a figure of speech?
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by SIRcumalot: 7:27am On May 13, 2015
ApexTitan:

Are you saying that the decade long winters that has been hinted at severally is all a figure of speech?
No,
Am saying the winter could represent a lot of things none of them anything good it could very well have originated from the "long nights" but most northerners have forgotten what happened and just echo the motto so they would be prepared.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by Gbola5(m): 7:32am On May 13, 2015
ApexTitan:

It will hit them lightly enough.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by oluamid(m): 7:44am On May 13, 2015
SIRcumalot:

No,
Am saying the winter could represent a lot of things none of them anything good it could very well originate from the "long nights" but most northerners have forgotten what happened and just echo the motto so they would be prepared.

The long night/winter is very real. According to tips in the books, the long night will come if the dark Lord defeats the Lord of light aka Rhillor. The red priests are forever in preparation for the war between the two. There is a sword that Azor Ahai is supposed to use to slay the Lord of winter. Also, the long winter had been witnessed in Westeros after the war between the children of the forest and Andals.

I however agree with you that the North usually quote the saying in a metaphorical way. But the long winter does exist.

N. B: Dorne will not be spared the harshness of the long winter. As a matter of fact, the whole continent will be affected.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by Gbola5(m): 11:24am On May 13, 2015
oluamid:

The long night/winter is very real. According to tips in the books, the long night will come if the dark Lord defeats the Lord of light aka Rhillor. The red priests are forever in preparation for the war between the two. There is a sword that Azor Ahai is supposed to use to slay the Lord of winter. Also, the long winter had been witnessed in Westeros after the war between the children of the forest and Andals.

I however agree with you that the North usually quote the saying in a metaphorical way. But the long winter does exist.

N. B: Dorne will not be spared the harshness of the long winter. As a matter of fact, the whole continent will be affected.

True but, the long night happened about 2000 years before the coming of the andals, at about the age of heroes. I dont believe it wilk come when the Great Other defeats Rhllor. Its eithrr the others come when its cold or the others bring the cold. It has nothing to do with if Rhllor is defeated first.

1 Like

Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by kay9(m): 11:58am On May 13, 2015
ApexTitan:

I assume you mean the long winter... I prefer to look at it from a pseudo-realistic point of view. Think ice ages. I would think it would start from from the North, then spread southwards, as long as whatever force is driving it remains active. Now, as we know, GRRM was deliberately unclear on whether it was the Others bringing the cold, or the cold bringing the Others. But either way, I think the further the White Walkers (and wights?) advance, the greater the reach of the long winter.

But if I am right, then this brings another interesting point... Assuming the true (reborn) Azor Ahai doesn't come, and the Others beat the Night's Watch back to the Wall, what then? Can they scale the Wall? Coldhands couldn't pass the gate at Nightfort; does this mean the Walkers will not be able to pass through the gates of Castle Black?

Mmmm... So interesting! GRRM please finish the WoW already!! smiley
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by kay9(m): 12:07pm On May 13, 2015
Gbola5:

True but, the long night happened about 2000 years before the coming of the andals, at about the age of heroes. I dont believe it wilk come when the Great Other defeats Rhllor. Its eithrr the others come when its cold or the others bring the cold. It has nothing to do with if Rhllor is defeated first.

It seems more like an unending cycle to me, like the long night comes once a every millennia or there about. Well, unending as long as a hero keeps arising with "lightbringer" to defeat the walkers. If ever he fails to show up, then game over for the world. Or perhaps sooner or later, as long as the cold reigns, a hero of light will arise. In which case it is indeed an unending cycle.

damn.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by Gbola5(m): 12:29pm On May 13, 2015
Any thing that has to do with scaling the wall, i think has to do with the horn of Joramun.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by Gbola5(m): 12:48pm On May 13, 2015
GrrM isnt writing a hero saves the day type of story. But here's what i think happens with the weather in Planetos. GrrM said its not normal, its magical, so i think, the two forces of ice and fire, so think of it as cyclonic rainfall where two air masses the cool air and warm air meet and where there's like a front. Or like the tropical continental and maritime air masses that bring aboit rainfall and harmattan. So if any of the two forces prevail over a time, like if ice then the winter will be long, and if fire then the summer will be long. Well that's just what i think.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by SIRcumalot: 2:27pm On May 13, 2015
kay9:

It seems more like an unending cycle to me, like the long night comes once a every millennia or there about. Well, unending as long as a hero keeps arising with "lightbringer" to defeat the walkers. If ever he fails to show up, then game over for the world. Or perhaps sooner or later, as long as the cold reigns, a hero of light will arise. In which case it is indeed an unending cycle.

damn.
There are two legends to how the others were defeated frankly the union between the children of the forest and the andals to fight the other is more believable than this azor azhai story.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by oluamid(m): 3:36pm On May 13, 2015
Gbola5:

Well, the red priestess seem to believe that victory for the great other will have dire consequences one of which is the long night.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by Gbola5(m): 4:51pm On May 13, 2015
oluamid:

Well, the red priestess seem to believe that victory for the great other will have dire consequences one of which is the long night.

Dont be so sure Rhllor is a good god. And Mel always misinterprets her visions most times.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by sarmiie(m): 9:19pm On May 13, 2015
Is there anyone here who still has the ebooks??
I read all of them once, bt it seems I need to re-read them.
If you have the books, biko, help a brother out.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by SIRcumalot: 9:39am On May 14, 2015
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by Gbola5(m): 9:50am On May 18, 2015
SIRcumalot:
Sorry to ask but why does your name sound like a IndecentStar's when i pronounce it ?
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by Gbola5(m): 12:43pm On May 18, 2015
I miss virgin Sansa.
Re: Questions, Theories, And Trivia Of The ASOIAF (Game Of Thrones) Books. by SIRcumalot: 2:15pm On May 18, 2015
Gbola5:

Sorry to ask but why does your name sound like a IndecentStar's when i pronounce it ?
grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (31) (Reply)

Life Of A Broke Naija Graduate ( Short Story) / Wole Soyinka Reacts To Wedding Of His Son, Oretunlewa And Nneka Ekechukwu / Naive ( Novel)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.