Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,077 members, 7,818,223 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:41 AM

ASUU Members Disrupt Lecture At UNIBEN (Pictures) - Education (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Members Disrupt Lecture At UNIBEN (Pictures) (64103 Views)

See Pic Of Bored Student Attending A Lecture At The University Of Ibadan In 1953 / Breaking News Oshiomole Comrade Bus On Fire At Uniben Gate / Pics: ASUU Members Disrupt Lectures At UNIBEN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Members Disrupt Lecture At UNIBEN (Pictures) by troy20(m): 8:16pm On Dec 11, 2013
rhymz: On a more serious note, ASUU should either be disbanded or reduced to the confines of each individual University, they should not be allowed to wield the kind of arbitrary powers they presently have that can be used to cause a nation wide disruption of academic activities in our Universities. It is becoming glaringly clear to all that the whole thing is becoming political and has lost purpose.

It is pretentious and hypocritical for ASUU to continue to hide under the guise of fighting for education to play opposition politics without seeing the destructive effect their political power play is having on the education sector.
You go on strike for six months even when your salaries were being paid without delay, your main reason being that you must get all the benefits of the allowances and bonuses promised you by the previous government, when queried on how that enhances the education sector, they hypocritically toned down on it in the open and instead divert everyone's attention to fighting for the the standard of education to be improved even when their actions are clearly antithetical to improving the sector.

The issues about University funding and autonomy is not a one way decision to be taken solely by ASUU and federal government, the merit and demerits of such proposal like funding or autonomy will have to be thoroughly debated and vetted, everyone has to be protected, giving the tendencies of an average Nigerian authority to be overly despotic, giving school management the go-ahead to fix school fees, generate its own revenue and have full autonomy, will only aftfect the children of common folks without the money or means but interested in tertiary education, they will be the first casualties of such autonomy, We have already seen ugly examples in state schools like LASU, I don't see how that has improved anything there.

The issues are not clear cut for immediate decisions to be taken on them without recourse to all the stake holders.... Besides, university education is not the only part of education that needs funding, these things are gradual and take time, holding the FG by the balls to do it now now will only further worsen and annoy the situation, federal government can only disburse funds within the limits of the budgets, any further suggestion fir them to do the extraordinary regardless of the fact that such monies are non-existent is criminal and the height of political dishonesty. ASUU is killing University education, once this issue is resolved, federal government should take decisive steps to either scrap labour unionism in our tertiary institutions or at least reduce their influence to a manageable extent.
after 14yrs the pdp government sure need to reward your unalloyed faith in them still.escept you are labaran maku.you think the government gives a rat a.r.se about you? Scraping trade unionism in this already farce democracy? do you know your entitled rights as a citizen? if You realy do then you sure are worse than ruben Abati.
Re: ASUU Members Disrupt Lecture At UNIBEN (Pictures) by rhymz(m): 7:44am On Dec 12, 2013
troy20:
after 14yrs the pdp government sure need to reward your unalloyed faith in them still.escept you are labaran maku.you think the government gives a rat a.r.se about you? Scraping trade unionism in this already farce democracy? do you know your entitled rights as a citizen? if You realy do then you sure are worse than ruben Abati.
Look at this slowpoke that can hardly tell the difference between labour union and a trade union coming here to write gibberish about rights.
The lecturers on strike are employees of the federal government, they do not own the school or pay their own salaries, they can't even generate their own money to pay their salaries, it all still boils down to the FG that has numerous competing sectors competing for fund.

You think unionism protects your rights as a citizen, you must be one dense illiterate that does not even understands the issue at hand besides mouthing off about PDP. If you think labour or trade unions are the best thing to happen in a democratic, when you eventually start a business, leave it open for all manner of union rights to exist, let your workers dictate yo you how much you must pay them through their unions and see how well such a business will grow.

There is a reason why the private sector does not allow unionism, go and read about the history of unionism in other countries, it is not something employers of labour take lightly because of its disruptive nature, to worsen it, in the case of Nigeria, the only bargaining tools available to our unions is going to strike and nothing else.

Nigeria's education is dead today largely because of the actions of throwing the baby with the bathwater approach of striking to flex power with an FG that has largely shown that it does not have the means to meet up with all the immediate demands of ASUU, whether they have been honest or dishonest about this fact is for another debate but the fact there is that FG can not do more than what is budgeted for or is available to them.

You can keep fooling yourself thinking ASUU is fighting for your ignorant mind but in the end, it is slowpokes like you that will lose and have setbacks when you begin to reckon your gains and loss. I am neither an undergrad or a post grad in any Nigerian University, my contract with them ended with my first degree, since then I have moved on and vowed not to do anything with them. So keep playing your local politics, the world I'd moving past you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Members Disrupt Lecture At UNIBEN (Pictures) by PetroDolla2: 7:23pm On Dec 12, 2013
hardbody:

I am not a dummy , neither am i a fool. I am located around Oxford, slightly off Osu Akwajeh Park. that is as far as i can tell you. If you think i plan on disclosing confidential information, then you are probably as stupiid as the Bingo down my street.

As a reverse, let me know where to hook up with you in Ghana (cape Coast to Terma and beyond) and then i will lead you by hand to show you properties in Ghana belonging to Nigerians, and specifically my investments. As i speak, i plan to be in Ghana immediately after Christmas, I am buying some state Land in Accra and guess my intermediary, one educationist who owns a school in cape coast. You guys think you are smart, but your best is no where near my worst. Recognize

Ole buruku cool

First of all, there is nothing like Osu Akwajeh Park in the whole of Ghana. Abi dem get dat one for Ojuelegba, Onipanu abi Palm Groove?

Secondly, you claim you have a hostel at Osu? Normally, hostels are located near tertiary institutions. In Ghana, hostels are mainly used by students. I don’t see any of such institutions around Ako Adjei Park, if indeed that was what you were referring to. To the best of my knowledge there is no university, polytechnic in that vicinity. So which people use your hostel?

And what the fvck is the big deal about the location of your so-called ‘hostel’?
Did you say you’ll lead me by hand and show properties owned by nigerians? You must be mad. Yes, stark mad! Can you afford even a minute of my time? Mudder fugger!

You’ll show me properties owned by nigerians, as in stand by street corners and then you point at buildings that you'll claim belong to nigerians? Let me quote what someone wrote on a thread- “you are a small child and your brain is still in the incubator, huh?”

You have land in Accra,huh? so what? What about those of us with buildings at Katampe, in Abuja proper- near Aso Radio/TV? Walahi talahi, you talk like a f00l, a pathetic m0ron. I doubt if you have anything. those with something don't fvcking blarb, huh?
Re: ASUU Members Disrupt Lecture At UNIBEN (Pictures) by troy20(m): 9:24pm On Dec 12, 2013
rhymz: Look at this slowpoke that can hardly tell the difference between labour union and a trade union coming here to write gibberish about rights.
The lecturers on strike are employees of the federal government, they do not own the school or pay their own salaries, they can't even generate their own money to pay their salaries, it all still boils down to the FG that has numerous competing sectors competing for fund.

You think unionism protects your rights as a citizen, you must be one dense illiterate that does not even understands the issue at hand besides mouthing off about PDP. If you think labour or trade unions are the best thing to happen in a democratic, when you eventually start a business, leave it open for all manner of union rights to exist, let your workers dictate yo you how much you must pay them through their unions and see how well such a business will grow.

There is a reason why the private sector does not allow unionism, go and read about the history of unionism in other countries, it is not something employers of labour take lightly because of its disruptive nature, to worsen it, in the case of Nigeria, the only bargaining tools available to our unions is going to strike and nothing else.

Nigeria's education is dead today largely because of the actions of throwing the baby with the bathwater approach of striking to flex power with an FG that has largely shown that it does not have the means to meet up with all the immediate demands of ASUU, whether they have been honest or dishonest about this fact is for another debate but the fact there is that FG can not do more than what is budgeted for or is available to them.

You can keep fooling yourself thinking ASUU is fighting for your ignorant mind but in the end, it is slowpokes like you that will lose and have setbacks when you begin to reckon your gains and loss. I am neither an undergrad or a post grad in any Nigerian University, my contract with them ended with my first degree, since then I have moved on and vowed not to do anything with them. So keep playing your local politics, the world I'd moving past you.
Its been a while i graduated from the tertiary.am not unaware of how unions operate.we have quite a handfull of unpleasant experiences here.unionism has a purpose to protect certain interests for which i believe you should fall in except you are an employer of labour or the nigerian government. No matter how dishonest or discormforting they turn out to be (and am aware of the rough history of the labour union), ASUU's demand should appeal to your interest.i passed through the institution in nigeria.i knew my experience.i knew i wasnt passing through the appropriate experience as a university student. millions of students have been longing for their interest to be represented and ASUU, no matter WHAT, are doing a fine agressive job at it.thats democracy.its probable you dont live here or maybe you had it so good.even if you had it so good its still human to have some empathy.We know our government is not representative of our interest.we've lived in seas of promises long enough to know that as nigerians.you seem to be so sure of the government.what encourages your confidence mr Ruben Abati?

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

'Leaked Mathematics Question Paper': WAEC Reacts / FUTMINNA 2016/2017 ADMISSION THREAD / Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide In New York

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.