Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,906 members, 7,817,682 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:07 PM

Court Voids Nysc's Power To Deny Graduates Mobilisation - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Court Voids Nysc's Power To Deny Graduates Mobilisation (13518 Views)

Batch C 2014 Mobilisation Time Table / Graduate Sues NYSC Over Non-mobilisation / NYSC Mobilisation Time Table For 2011 Batch 'C' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Voids Nysc's Power To Deny Graduates Mobilisation by PNN: 3:10am On Dec 10, 2013
A Federal High Court sitting in Lagos has declared as unlawful the decision by the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) to deny Nigerian graduates participation in the compulsory one-year national youth service for not possessing credit passes in O’ Level Mathematics.

This was the judgement delivered by Justice Mohammed Idris in a suit instituted by a Nigerian graduate from a foreign intitution, Mr. Terna Tarka, who was allegedly denied mobilisation on the grounds that he does not have a credit pass in Mathematics in his O’ Level certificate examination.

In enforcing the policy, the NYSC had allegedly claimed that it was relying on a directive from the Ministry of Education which purportedly halted mobilisation of all graduates without credit passes in Mathematics. After being denied mobilisation on the said grounds, Tarka filed this action, through his lawyer, Mr. Adekunle Oyesanya, SAN, to contest the policy.

The defendants in the suit are Chairman, National Directorate of the National Youth Service Corps and the Minister of Education, as second and third defendants respectively.

In his judgement, Justice Idris said nothing in the NYSC’s powers as provided under Sections 2 (i) (b) of the National Youth Service Corps Act, Cap N84, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004 empowers the corps to deny anybody mobilisation for lacking credit pass in Mathematics.

The court further said that the policy the NYSC is relying on is not recognised by law. Justice Idris consequently gave an order compelling the NYSC to register the plaintiff in the next batch of the NYSC scheme or in the alternative to exempt the plaintiff from participating in the scheme and issue him with a certificate of exemption.

Source: NATIONAL MIRROR

6 Likes

Re: Court Voids Nysc's Power To Deny Graduates Mobilisation by PNN: 3:14am On Dec 10, 2013
For more news check www.proudlynigerian.net

Re: Court Voids Nysc's Power To Deny Graduates Mobilisation by oluagness(m): 3:25am On Dec 10, 2013
nysc is going beyond its boundary. Very soon, they will only allow people with first class and distinction to serve.

9 Likes

Re: Court Voids Nysc's Power To Deny Graduates Mobilisation by PNN: 4:30am On Dec 10, 2013
oluagness: nysc is going beyond its boundary. Very soon, they will only allow people with first class and distinction to serve.
The Graduate's decision to sue NYSC was mocked by many but now He has gotten Victory...for himself and others smiley The Court has set a good precedent

22 Likes

Re: Court Voids Nysc's Power To Deny Graduates Mobilisation by PointBlank13(m): 5:44pm On Dec 11, 2013
space booked

what does credit in maths has to do with service to the nation? Mehn this sounds really funny. Allow the graduate to serve in his best of capacities shekina!
well done court.

one more thing before I forget FP things, 5th to comment....I made it finally

1 Like

Re: Court Voids Nysc's Power To Deny Graduates Mobilisation by devigblegble: 5:46pm On Dec 11, 2013
These post has been hidden
Re: Court Voids Nysc's Power To Deny Graduates Mobilisation by Nobody: 5:47pm On Dec 11, 2013
Hehehhehehheheehe....front page
Back to d matter do they have the right in the first place?

1 Like

Re: Court Voids Nysc's Power To Deny Graduates Mobilisation by endtimesigns(m): 5:49pm On Dec 11, 2013
Na today.....

In this country?

Corruption everywhere.

7 Likes

Re: Court Voids Nysc's Power To Deny Graduates Mobilisation by Ubarab(m): 5:50pm On Dec 11, 2013
The 'so-called' national service instituted as a means for youths to contribute meaningfully to their fatherland had turned into a means for some self-claimed superiors to feed their pockets and making some useless rules to prevent poor graduates into it. Not bad if the NYSC is scrap because it involves money wastage and putting lots into national hard labour. Can somebody help me advice Federal Government to please sum up all NYSC payments and pay all graduates after 3 weeks camping?

8 Likes

Re: Court Voids Nysc's Power To Deny Graduates Mobilisation by Odward(m): 5:53pm On Dec 11, 2013
Na dem xabi ;DNa dem xabi
Re: Court Voids Nysc's Power To Deny Graduates Mobilisation by saint047(m): 5:55pm On Dec 11, 2013
In as much the person has graduated,he should be allowed to serve.
Re: Court Voids Nysc's Power To Deny Graduates Mobilisation by YoshiMaster: 5:56pm On Dec 11, 2013
Why is there still NYSC in the first place?

My God, I don't know how NYSC scheme can make sense to anyone.

2 Likes

Re: Court Voids Nysc's Power To Deny Graduates Mobilisation by JohnFrankling(m): 5:58pm On Dec 11, 2013
Nice one
Re: Court Voids Nysc's Power To Deny Graduates Mobilisation by DocAdray(f): 6:06pm On Dec 11, 2013
Thats unfair of NYSC. The respective schools should be in charge of this, before students graduate not NYSC, after the students are now graduates...

3 Likes

Re: Court Voids Nysc's Power To Deny Graduates Mobilisation by abeyluve: 6:09pm On Dec 11, 2013
Becs what we find difficult in Naija, they find it easy over there nd when they come back their cert is more prefered. Let him go nd sit 4 GCE nd pass his MTH
Re: Court Voids Nysc's Power To Deny Graduates Mobilisation by PNN: 6:11pm On Dec 11, 2013
Front page 4 d first time!!! Must include this in my CV ooo...#Achievement
Re: Court Voids Nysc's Power To Deny Graduates Mobilisation by vanguard1(m): 6:12pm On Dec 11, 2013
Good riddance to bad rubbish.
Re: Court Voids Nysc's Power To Deny Graduates Mobilisation by lastpage: 6:19pm On Dec 11, 2013
abeyluve: Becs what we find difficult in Naija, they find it easy over there nd when they come back their cert is more prefered. Let him go nd sit 4 GCE nd pass his MTH

Are you remotely aware that even in Nigeria, it is NOT ALL courses that require a Credit in mathematics, to qualify for admission?
Is anyone who chose such course and completes it in a Nigerian University, not suitable for NYSC call-up?

I think you are just jealous of those guys that schooled abroad! tongue tongue
Ofcourse, they dont have ASUU unending strike, they dont participate in Cultism, Exam expo is almost impossible, bribing Lecturers will land both in jail and study-under-hunger is not their bane! Lecture rooms and Laboratories are astonishingly equipped, e.t.c wink wink

On second thought, l understand why you dey beef them true-true! E reach so wella-wella shocked shocked grin grin grin
***feels very sorry and sympathetic for the poster**** cry cry

Try gather small money like 3million and go and add "foreign cert" to your arsenal as well bro.

BTW: This is one of the reasons everyone should support ASUU, to ensure that our own government commit available funds to our own educational system, not loot the money abroad or use it to be buying bullet-proof vehciles for themselves! wink

Lastpage!

9 Likes

Re: Court Voids Nysc's Power To Deny Graduates Mobilisation by ConquerAll(m): 6:20pm On Dec 11, 2013
I like it when justice takes its course. Kudos to the guy who took this case up. He got justice, not just for himself, but for many in similar shoes.

I pledge my loyalty to #teamJustice

1 Like

Re: Court Voids Nysc's Power To Deny Graduates Mobilisation by Excelboi(m): 6:23pm On Dec 11, 2013
Nice one. Some law students in some institution dont have mathematics as it is not compulsory in some universites. Now there is fair play and no discrimination whatsoever.

1 Like

Re: Court Voids Nysc's Power To Deny Graduates Mobilisation by Nutase: 6:24pm On Dec 11, 2013
Someone should sue them too for not allowing corpers serve in banks and oil companies.
Those guys are just power drunk walahi.

2 Likes

Re: Court Voids Nysc's Power To Deny Graduates Mobilisation by ALADE4J2: 6:26pm On Dec 11, 2013
This is good news. It think somebody shoud also sue NYSC for denying graduates of part-time programmes the opportunity to serve.

2 Likes

Re: Court Voids Nysc's Power To Deny Graduates Mobilisation by GentleFrank(m): 6:40pm On Dec 11, 2013
That's nice !!!
Re: Court Voids Nysc's Power To Deny Graduates Mobilisation by obuksjr(m): 6:57pm On Dec 11, 2013
If only we can challenge our leaders and their policies like this courageous fellow,then we are bound to be emancipated from the darkness of corruption.This judgement has brought a moment of respite to many who had been under oppression without having the boldness to ask for justice.Kudos to the guy and to the court that gave the verdict.

3 Likes

Re: Court Voids Nysc's Power To Deny Graduates Mobilisation by pak: 7:28pm On Dec 11, 2013
I command you to scroll back up now.........

I don't know why I find the girl by the far right on the OP's pix very attractive tongue

Now I can see all the guys have obeyed my instruction

2 Likes

Re: Court Voids Nysc's Power To Deny Graduates Mobilisation by WizPrince1(m): 7:57pm On Dec 11, 2013
Re: Court Voids Nysc's Power To Deny Graduates Mobilisation by Nobody: 8:12pm On Dec 11, 2013
Am glad justice prevailed! smiley

1 Like

Re: Court Voids Nysc's Power To Deny Graduates Mobilisation by Nobody: 8:16pm On Dec 11, 2013
These post has been hidden
Re: Court Voids Nysc's Power To Deny Graduates Mobilisation by checkdate(m): 8:25pm On Dec 11, 2013
THIS COUNTRY, I WONDER WHY THINGS HAPPEN THE WAY IT DOES AT TIMES undecided
Re: Court Voids Nysc's Power To Deny Graduates Mobilisation by Waladade4luv(m): 8:39pm On Dec 11, 2013
Make d guy prepare to serve for Borno and lets see weather himgo sue NYSC for postin him to core north again. . .i know sey na wetin NYSC go d b dt bad belle pple

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nysc Green Card / Kwara State Batch A, Let's Meet Here / Graduates With Fake NYSC Call-up Letters Sentenced

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.