Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,545 members, 7,827,036 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:22 AM

Graduate Sues NYSC Over Non-mobilisation - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Graduate Sues NYSC Over Non-mobilisation (11828 Views)

Corpers' Protest At Government House In Bayelsa Over Non Payment Of Allowance / Batch C 2014 Mobilisation Time Table / Court Voids Nysc's Power To Deny Graduates Mobilisation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Graduate Sues NYSC Over Non-mobilisation by Emmysteve(m): 3:25am On Sep 18, 2013
A graduate, Terna Tarka has taken the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) before the Federal High Court sitting in Lagos for allegedly not allowing him to serve his motherland despite meeting the academic and age requirements.
However, in its defence to the suit the NYSC claimed that Tarka did not meet the requirements and that the court lacks jurisdiction to hear the suit.

Also joined in the suit isthe Ministry of Education in the suit.

The plaintiff is asking the court to determine whether the defendants' decision to deny him the opportunity to register in the scheme's Batch A in March 2013 is lawful and in accordance with the provisions of the NYSC Act, Cap N84, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria.

He wants the court to determine whether he can be disqualified on account of his not having five credits in his Ordinary Level General Certificate in Education (GCE) or West African Examination Council (WAEC) results.

Tarka sought a declaration that the defendants decision to deny him the right to participate in the scheme is unlawful and ultra vires.

He is urging the court to compel the defendants to register him in the next batch.

The plaintiff further asked the court to award him N5million damages for the defendants' "oppressive and unwarranted acts" which denied him employment opportunities.

Tarka said he has not found a job because employers insist on the NYSC certificate, which he does not have.

He said he had two credits and four passes before proceeding to the United Kingdom where he studied further and remedied the other subjects, including Mathematics.

According to him, he studied at Irwin College, Leicester, UK before he gained admission to Greenwich School of Management of the Plymouth University where he took 'access modules' to enable him qualify and take a degree programme.

He graduated in 2011 with a Bachelor of Science degree, Second Class Upper Division in Business Management and Information Technology.

http://leadership.ng/news/170913/graduate-sues-nysc-over-non-mobilisation

2 Likes

Re: Graduate Sues NYSC Over Non-mobilisation by lebest: 8:04am On Sep 18, 2013
Thats interesting, hope the court does the right thing by not been partial.

1 Like

Re: Graduate Sues NYSC Over Non-mobilisation by lebest: 8:05am On Sep 18, 2013
Thats interesting, hope the court does the right thing by not been partial.
Re: Graduate Sues NYSC Over Non-mobilisation by olalekan1(m): 9:05am On Sep 19, 2013
If I am not mistaking, the guy used a result that is not tenable in any of our own universities to secure admission in a UK university. If the rules says atleast 5 credits then so be it. He can't serve and that is final.
Re: Graduate Sues NYSC Over Non-mobilisation by Nobody: 1:50pm On Sep 19, 2013
olalekan1: If I am not mistaking, the guy used a result that is not tenable in any of our own universities to secure admission in a UK university. If the rules says atleast 5 credits then so be it. He can't serve and that is final.

Bro, in case you missed this -
He said he had two credits and four passes before proceeding to the United Kingdom where he studied further and remedied the other subjects, including Mathematics.
According to him, he studied at Irwin College, Leicester, UK before he gained admission to Greenwich School of Management of the Plymouth University where he took 'access modules' to enable him qualify and take a degree programme.

Back to the matter (open and close... wink), until I read the Act that established NYSC, I won't make a comment. Excuse me! undecided

5 Likes

Re: Graduate Sues NYSC Over Non-mobilisation by Nobody: 2:26pm On Sep 20, 2013
A scheme some people are running from? oga o. one man's meat is another man's fish indeed grin

2 Likes

Re: Graduate Sues NYSC Over Non-mobilisation by Lordseyad(m): 2:27pm On Sep 20, 2013
hmmmm,i dnt even remember what i wanna write jare

1 Like

Re: Graduate Sues NYSC Over Non-mobilisation by Nobody: 2:30pm On Sep 20, 2013
Why won't they just scrap this scheme? it is useless in my opinion.

3 Likes

Re: Graduate Sues NYSC Over Non-mobilisation by Nobody: 2:33pm On Sep 20, 2013
undecided undecided

The late president yar'adua made an awesome move to stop that weightless ish... called NYSC, he wanted to choose the alternative of paying all graduands about #450,000. Behold the rotten senators opposed that sweet move.

I hope he gets what he wants at the end of the day.

6 Likes

Re: Graduate Sues NYSC Over Non-mobilisation by nerodenero: 2:33pm On Sep 20, 2013
Is 5 credits the same has 2 credits and 4 passes? Just asking o
Re: Graduate Sues NYSC Over Non-mobilisation by fragilgal(f): 2:34pm On Sep 20, 2013
It just escaped my memory.
Re: Graduate Sues NYSC Over Non-mobilisation by nerodenero: 2:37pm On Sep 20, 2013

He said he had two credits and four passes before proceeding to the United Kingdom where he studied further and remedied the other subjects, including Mathematics
Plenty English. If he has 5 credits including Maths and English, then he is eligible for NYSC.
Re: Graduate Sues NYSC Over Non-mobilisation by Ibyno(m): 2:37pm On Sep 20, 2013
9ja upgrading, nice move bro .

1 Like

Re: Graduate Sues NYSC Over Non-mobilisation by otokx(m): 2:43pm On Sep 20, 2013
How can a foreign university graduate not have 5 o level credit in not more than 2 sittings? Some of these foreign universities are wishy washy.
Re: Graduate Sues NYSC Over Non-mobilisation by Delafruita(m): 2:43pm On Sep 20, 2013
olalekan1: If I am not mistaking, the guy used a result that is not tenable in any of our own universities to secure admission in a UK university. If the rules says atleast 5 credits then so be it. He can't serve and that is final.
below are the only conditions by which a person wont be called up for youths ervice

(2) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (1) of this section, with effect from
1 August 1985, a person shall not be called upon to serve in the service corps if, at the
date of his graduation or obtaining his diploma or other professional qualification—
(a) he is over the age of thirty; or
(b) he has served in the armed forces of the Federation or the Nigeria
Police Force for a period of more than nine months; or
(c) he is member of staff of any of the following, that is—
(i) the Nigerian Security Organisation; or
(ii) the State Security Service; or
(iii) the National Intelligence Agency; or
(iv) the Defence Intelligence Agency; or
(d) he has been conferred with any National Honour

nowhere was waec result a prerequisite

9 Likes

Re: Graduate Sues NYSC Over Non-mobilisation by vaLasce(m): 2:51pm On Sep 20, 2013
Very dirty scheme...

1 Like

Re: Graduate Sues NYSC Over Non-mobilisation by Hearme(m): 2:54pm On Sep 20, 2013
Why did the guy not present his UK O level result? Is the result not acceptable?
Bringing a 2 Credit and 4 passes back home to serve is a shame.
He/she is probably one of those "aje butters". Any way, I wish him luck to win 5million naira damages.
Re: Graduate Sues NYSC Over Non-mobilisation by Mblem(m): 2:54pm On Sep 20, 2013
he cant serve........hw can smeone ave less dan 5credits n yet graduate with 2.1 nawoah
Nigeria need to be straight forward

1 Like

Re: Graduate Sues NYSC Over Non-mobilisation by chux4liv(m): 2:57pm On Sep 20, 2013
We Nigerians are killer of destiny.. Where is it stated that WAEC is a prerequisite for NYSC mobilisation Or is NYSC now an examination body? I begg scrap this rubbish joor, its has not brought any development to our dear nation.

2 Likes

Re: Graduate Sues NYSC Over Non-mobilisation by Chukwutobi: 3:00pm On Sep 20, 2013
Eeyah! Nigerian Youths Serving as Corpses
Re: Graduate Sues NYSC Over Non-mobilisation by Delafruita(m): 3:00pm On Sep 20, 2013
Mblem: he cant serve........hw can smeone ave less dan 5credits n yet graduate with 2.1 nawoah
\
whats ur point?is he a graduate or not?nysc is for graduates irrespective of their waec result

7 Likes

Re: Graduate Sues NYSC Over Non-mobilisation by Nobody: 3:05pm On Sep 20, 2013
Mblem: he cant serve........hw can smeone ave less dan 5credits n yet graduate with 2.1 nawoah

Why not? A person's past does not determine their future. I have seen cases where average students in secondary school became the best graduating students in university. I have also seen cases where less than average students not only made high grades in university but are also doing very well in the business world. Total transformation I tell ya. People mature as they grow older and get to see what is important. So please, his credits or lack of should not determine whether he finishes with a 2.1 or first class

13 Likes

Re: Graduate Sues NYSC Over Non-mobilisation by meforyou1(m): 3:07pm On Sep 20, 2013
WAEC result is not a criteria for youth service. but the guy asking for 5 million, when he wount be paid more than 120,000 throughout the service year. na waoh.
the boy thinks nigeria is uk where u can sue anybody and anything. nysc will frustrate his life. the case might drag on to the supreme and last for about 30 years.
nysc defence is not written here. so all this is hear say from the boy's angle.

1 Like

Re: Graduate Sues NYSC Over Non-mobilisation by Jakeattah(m): 3:09pm On Sep 20, 2013
Re: Graduate Sues NYSC Over Non-mobilisation by Jakeattah(m): 3:12pm On Sep 20, 2013
I supose sue NYSC too for sending me to this kind of bush place to serve..... After that i will sue this garri i soaked for not swelling up

2 Likes

Re: Graduate Sues NYSC Over Non-mobilisation by Nobody: 3:18pm On Sep 20, 2013
If I have my ways, I'd rather not serve my country after earning my degree. I prefer not to serve her because she has refused to serve me in every possible ways.
Re: Graduate Sues NYSC Over Non-mobilisation by lafex: 3:22pm On Sep 20, 2013
as far as NYSC is concerned he is not qualify to serve because he doesnt have five credits in o level
Re: Graduate Sues NYSC Over Non-mobilisation by Nobody: 3:22pm On Sep 20, 2013
me_for_you: WAEC result is not a criteria for youth service. but the guy asking for 5 million, when he wount be paid more than 120,000 throughout the service year. na waoh.
the boy thinks nigeria is uk where u can sue anybody and anything. nysc will frustrate his life. the case might drag on to the supreme and last for about 30 years.
nysc defence is not written here. so all this is hear say from the boy's angle.

It's, bro. You sure need to keep up!

iv. O’level Certificate i.e WASC, GCE, SSCE,
NECO, IGCE, GCSE, High School Diploma
for those who schooled in USA e.t.c.
Candidate must obtain credit in not less
than 5 subjects (including English and
Mathematics) in any of the examinations
at not more than 2 sittings. (Statements
of Result or Attestation Letters are not
acceptable in lieu of any certificate).
http://nysc.gov.ng/foreign_grads/foreign-requirements.php
Re: Graduate Sues NYSC Over Non-mobilisation by lastmessenger: 3:25pm On Sep 20, 2013
what is so important about not having five credits in waec.the most importants thing is that he is a graduate.nysc should let him serve or are they suggesting he sit for waec before nysc?abeg madam give me beer make i drink.stupid

2 Likes

Re: Graduate Sues NYSC Over Non-mobilisation by Sanandreas10(m): 3:28pm On Sep 20, 2013
A cooking pot for chameleon is a cooking Pot For Lizard...

Please.;free the Dudez.....
Let him serve jare
cheesy
smiley
wink

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Foreign Trained Graduates Meet Up-here / Why Part-time Student Are Not Allow 2 Go 4 Nysc / See How Much INEC Plans To Pay Corpers!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.