Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,459 members, 7,816,079 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:47 AM

Can Nollywood Ever Make Cartoons - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Can Nollywood Ever Make Cartoons (10383 Views)

Throw Back: Cartoons We Grew Up With / NTA Cartoons and programmes Of The 70s, 80s And 90s / Cartoons: Not For Kids Alone! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Nollywood Ever Make Cartoons by ekaromail: 7:00pm On Dec 11, 2013
If Nollywood has what it takes then yes! They can produce animation films. I am someone who enjoys cartoon movies, both 2Ds and 3Ds.

http://www.karosstoryblog..com
Re: Can Nollywood Ever Make Cartoons by Nobody: 7:07pm On Dec 11, 2013
bastien: At dis ur age u still dey watch cartoon?

Person wey do u never die! But na d person wey go cure u don die

#no offence
I don't like insulting but guy, you r one big local backward idio.t walahi
what's up with watching cartoon or anime?
Re: Can Nollywood Ever Make Cartoons by Nobody: 8:27pm On Dec 11, 2013
datopdlink: eventually,quality animated films will be created,just not now......the average nigerian animator(example,me)faces great problems to create SECONDS of animated content,much less minutes or hours...and whats worse,we dont even get buck for it.im just animating because of the passion i have,and besides im still learning...so until issues like audience,power,skilled animators,good quality software and other things like that are adressed,no good animation like death note,naruto or avatar...but eventually,it will happen-it will just take a long time.

This is another point! We don't even have standard animation companies in Nigeria! Sorry friend, it's not about Softwares (softwares are scattered all over the place) and we have some skilled animators. But point is Feature length animation is not what one person will be sweating over - Unless you wanna produce crap, it needs a team of animators. The Lion King (the one and only animation I've ever loved), was done by a team of over 600 animators and artists. So you see? We don't have any animation company in Nigeria that can cough out half of that number of people to work on Animations or Visual effects for a movie

1 Like

Re: Can Nollywood Ever Make Cartoons by misep(f): 8:39pm On Dec 11, 2013
Nothing is impossible.
Re: Can Nollywood Ever Make Cartoons by toluxe0075: 8:45pm On Dec 11, 2013
Yes o, a couple of cartoons as been produced in recent years, but majority of them are short,produce once in a while and just to generate humour, for example, ourownarea cartoons e.g lagimo, subsidy etc produced by nnamdi and co, also a cartoon involving obasanjo eliminating all the obstacle for his 3rd term ambition, another produced by blackhouse studio i think, involving a tv presenter and 3 guest in which each guest is from one tribe in nigeria,i.e yoruba hause and ibo and many more, it's so unfortunate i don't have links to this cartoons
Re: Can Nollywood Ever Make Cartoons by PrettySpicey(f): 9:33pm On Dec 11, 2013
As long as u xpet nothing like Ice Age et al n look 4wd to poppets jumping about on strings, why not?
Re: Can Nollywood Ever Make Cartoons by Salmoneus(m): 9:40pm On Dec 11, 2013
It's not surprising many people are pessimistic, if this question was asked in 1990 "can Nigeria make a full lenght movie?" most people would have laughed and said it's impossible, after all there was no market for Nigerian films back then and people seemed content with Chinese and Indian films whose quality was very high and unattainable...years later Nollywood is the third largest film industry on the planet (according to Times magazine anyway) you'll never know until you try, it's a big risk but innovation is all about taking risks...

btw check out an animated sitcom I'm currently working on http://www.blackspittle.com/happy-times-concept.html

Re: Can Nollywood Ever Make Cartoons by CHIMSKY(m): 9:59pm On Dec 11, 2013
Nigerians.Make cartoons?Do you know how much discipline,committment,sweat and focus goes into animating 30 seconds of a cartoon?We simply dont have the Patience.We want to hammer and we want to hammer NOW!
Re: Can Nollywood Ever Make Cartoons by poshpimkiey(f): 10:32pm On Dec 11, 2013
bia op, didn't u watch Chika and the warriors...even my dad watched it with us. the tin made sense sha
Re: Can Nollywood Ever Make Cartoons by Arinze4eva(m): 10:44pm On Dec 11, 2013
XLR8: Hollywood and other countries like china, make animation movies that even beats nollywood movies. Imagine animation movies like adventures of tintin, Ben 10, Avatar, Dante's Inferno, Escape from planet earth etc. Can nollywood ever make cartoons? The thought of it make me grin grin grin
. Imagine a yoruba, igbo or hausa cartoon grin grin grin. This is actually a huge challenge. Hotshots, talented, infallible nigerians 3D designers should wake up but i know you go complain about funds grin grin grin
Haven't you heard of 'Chika and the Warriors'?
Re: Can Nollywood Ever Make Cartoons by Nobody: 10:50pm On Dec 11, 2013
Salmoneus: It's not surprising many people are pessimistic, if this question was asked in 1990 "can Nigeria make a full lenght movie?" most people would have laughed and said it's impossible, after all there was no market for Nigerian films back then and people seemed content with Chinese and Indian films whose quality was very high and unattainable...years later Nollywood is the third largest film industry on the planet (according to Times magazine anyway) you'll never know until you try, it's a big risk but innovation is all about taking risks...

btw check out an animated sitcom I'm currently working on http://www.blackspittle.com/happy-times-concept.html

Did you say 1990? Lol Nigeria has been making feature films since 1960s.
And the fact that we were watching Indian films before then proved that there's a market for movies.

Goodluck on your animation btw.
Re: Can Nollywood Ever Make Cartoons by Abdgafarplenty(m): 11:05pm On Dec 11, 2013
speedyboi: See kweshion.

Fact is they shouldn't bother! Why? Because Nigerians are not animation type of people. I for one can't imagine myself spending my cash to go see a cartoon at the cinema. I'm just not a fan. Other Nigerians think cartoons are for kids. So it's not a good idea for the business aspect.

That's the same reason bollywood doesn't make animations. It just doesn't make sense to make things that you've got no audience for.

Bollywood did animations too. forgotten the title. , I think its heroes of """"""!"""!! done by Ajay Devgan
Re: Can Nollywood Ever Make Cartoons by Nobody: 11:06pm On Dec 11, 2013
speedyboi:

This is another point! We don't even have standard animation companies in Nigeria! Sorry friend, it's not about Softwares (softwares are scattered all over the place) and we have some skilled animators. But point is Feature length animation is not what one person will be sweating over - Unless you wanna produce crap, it needs a team of animators. The Lion King (the one and only animation I've ever loved), was done by a team of over 600 animators and artists. So you see? We don't have any animation company in Nigeria that can cough out half of that number of people to work on Animations or Visual effects for a movie
nice points!!! I agree with u totally on the number of animators,artists etc...as an animator myself,i know how many people work on a high quality animated project...they even work in shifts at times....nigeria just doesnt have the manpower....but i believe eventually we'll see some good nigerian animation,it'll just take a while.
Re: Can Nollywood Ever Make Cartoons by rave123: 11:31pm On Dec 11, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tI8RfN2iTA

Great quality cartoon made by Nigerians

2 Likes

Re: Can Nollywood Ever Make Cartoons by Salmoneus(m): 12:15am On Dec 12, 2013
speedyboi:

Did you say 1990? Lol Nigeria has been making feature films since 1960s.
Yes, but it wasn't until 1990 (actually 1992) that an entrepreneur took the risk of distributing a home made movie called 'living in bondage' that Nollywood really took of, I'm sure he had fears that people would snub his film for the more flashier foreign films...

speedyboi:
And the fact that we were watching Indian films before then proved that there's a market for movies.
Well even the most bland local TV station in Nigeria still has the common sense to show cartoons in the afternoons...and kids watch, ask the average kid on the street if he/she likes cartoons, doesn't that prove a market exists? or the popularity of anime in universities?

speedyboi:
Goodluck on your animation btw.

Thanks.
Re: Can Nollywood Ever Make Cartoons by TheGeneral1(m): 12:24am On Dec 12, 2013

Fact is they shouldn't bother! Why? Because Nigerians are not animation type of people. I for one can't imagine myself spending my cash to go see a cartoon at the cinema. I'm just not a fan. Other Nigerians think cartoons are for kids. So it's not a good idea for the business aspect.

That's the same reason bollywood doesn't make animations. It just doesn't make sense to make things that you've got no audience for.

They nake a lot if cartoons. Ever watched Delhi safari?
Re: Can Nollywood Ever Make Cartoons by Nobody: 12:50am On Dec 12, 2013
Salmoneus:
[s]Yes, but it wasn't until 1990 (actually 1992) that an entrepreneur took the risk of distributing a home made movie called 'living in bondage' that Nollywood really took of, I'm sure he had fears that people would snub his film for the more flashier foreign films...[/s]

You are not making sense. the movies before living in bondage were doing very well. So contrary to what you said at first; Nobody will ask in the 1990s that 'can Nigeria make a feature film' cos that would be a stupid question.

Salmoneus: Well even the most bland local TV station in Nigeria still has the common sense to show cartoons in the afternoons...and kids watch, ask the average kid on the street if he/she likes cartoons, doesn't that prove a market exists? or the popularity of anime in universities?
We already discussed on this thread that TV and cinema have a totally different audience.
We were watching Indian movies on homevideos; so any serious minded person would know Nigeria movies would sell on home video. As of now, the few animation audience in Nigeria are TV audience (in which most are kids sef), So making an animation movie which is meant for the cinema is a wild goose chase since even hollywood animation don't make anything at the cinemas.
Re: Can Nollywood Ever Make Cartoons by Nobody: 12:54am On Dec 12, 2013
The General:

They nake a lot if cartoons. Ever watched Delhi safari?

They don't make a lot of cartoons (feature length). they only started recently when they discovered an increasing animation audience in India.

even still, the animation industry is still shaky cos audience is small; for instance, the movie you cited failed woefully at the box office. Nigeria will also be faced with this same predicament if they try to make a feature length animation anytime soon.
Re: Can Nollywood Ever Make Cartoons by Salmoneus(m): 1:39am On Dec 12, 2013
speedyboi:

You are not making sense. the movies before living in bondage were doing very well. So contrary to what you said at first; Nobody will ask in the 1990s that 'can Nigeria make a feature film' cos that would be a stupid question.
You're not understanding me, I'm talking in terms of distribution, sure Nigeria was making movies but not assumed the risk of high distribution across the country.

speedyboi:
We already discussed on this thread that TV and cinema have a totally different audience.
We were watching Indian movies on homevideos; so any serious minded person would know Nigeria movies would sell on home video. As of now, the few animation audience in Nigeria are TV audience (in which most are kids sef), So making an animation movie which is meant for the cinema is a wild goose chase since even hollywood animation don't make anything at the cinemas.

Even Nollywood movies with big name stars don't do too well in cinemas because Nigeria is a dvd market...and as for your (animation is for kids argument) are you trying to say that if I make a feature lenght smut animation with loads of sexy pictures as the dvd cover grown ups won't buy?
Re: Can Nollywood Ever Make Cartoons by igbo2011(m): 5:07am On Dec 12, 2013
They already have it but it isn't that big yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdaMi62RT_M
Re: Can Nollywood Ever Make Cartoons by igbo2011(m): 5:09am On Dec 12, 2013
Re: Can Nollywood Ever Make Cartoons by igbo2011(m): 5:11am On Dec 12, 2013
Re: Can Nollywood Ever Make Cartoons by Stdhayour: 6:06am On Dec 12, 2013
nikkypearl: Bado omo Mushin no be cartoon
I tire o
Re: Can Nollywood Ever Make Cartoons by Nobody: 7:56am On Dec 12, 2013
Salmoneus:
You're not understanding me, I'm talking in terms of distribution, sure Nigeria was making movies but not assumed the risk of high distribution across the country.

Even Nollywood movies with big name stars don't do too well in cinemas because Nigeria is a dvd market...and as for your (animation is for kids argument) are you trying to say that if I make a feature lenght smut animation with loads of sexy pictures as the dvd cover grown ups won't buy?
you are the one not getting the whole point! And So now you wanna compare the gross of movies in nigerian cinemas (that still manages to gross an average of half a million dollars) to their animation counterpart that usually gross around 1,000+ dollars (many don't even make upto a thousand bucks)? See whatever rocks your boat! Cos it seems you wanna blind your eyes to the reality on ground.

Bye smiley
Re: Can Nollywood Ever Make Cartoons by masciv: 8:50am On Dec 12, 2013

You can assume that all Nigerians are thinking the way you are,that's a fallacy.At least I'm not one of the people you claim don't watch animations.After all, Nigerians love watching animated comedies specific to Nigeria.Animated series like "Area".If you haven't seen any,then you're missing out.
Re: Can Nollywood Ever Make Cartoons by internetpo(m): 9:45am On Dec 12, 2013
soon and very soon. the idea is there but no one/ producer wants to risk it yet.
They are all comfortable in their comfort zones.

I plan on entering that virgin industry soon. Not even cartoons but 3D flicks like Hotel transylvania or funding nemo.

For ur info. kids watch cartoons (TV) more than adults and there is a serious dearth of local content here.
Re: Can Nollywood Ever Make Cartoons by dabossman(m): 3:59pm On Dec 12, 2013
internetpo: soon and very soon. the idea is there but no one/ producer wants to risk it yet.
They are all comfortable in their comfort zones.

I plan on entering that virgin industry soon. Not even cartoons but 3D flicks like Hotel transylvania or funding nemo.

For ur info. kids watch cartoons (TV) more than adults and there is a serious dearth of local content here.

I wish you all the best with that, but would like to let you know that it takes more than you and a couple of friends working on your macs to put together a feature-length 3D animation. Just check the credits of the movies you mentioned and tell me if you can assembly that many animation professionals here in Nigeria.
Re: Can Nollywood Ever Make Cartoons by VillageBoi(m): 11:41pm On Dec 12, 2013
internetpo: Not even cartoons but 3D flicks like Hotel transylvania or funding nemo.

Why would you want to make 3D films? Hopefully you can 'fund' Nemo too wink
Re: Can Nollywood Ever Make Cartoons by Nobody: 11:53am On Dec 14, 2013
[/b][b]
toluxe0075: Yes o, a couple of cartoons as been produced in recent years, but majority of them are short,produce once in a while and just to generate humour, for example, ourownarea cartoons e.g lagimo, subsidy etc produced by nnamdi and co, also a cartoon involving obasanjo eliminating all the obstacle for his 3rd term ambition, another produced by blackhouse studio i think, involving a tv presenter and 3 guest in which each guest is from one tribe in nigeria,i.e yoruba hause and ibo and many more, it's so unfortunate i don't have links to this cartoons
Our own area cartoon series:

Fuel subsidy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQQkblnaQPQ&list=PLad6PcA_ixo_SB8Rzw4tpYlMgaTuVlTDT
Oliver twist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01vfvhC5rYE&list=PLad6PcA_ixo_SB8Rzw4tpYlMgaTuVlTDT
facebook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLgKz1lXjQ8&list=PLad6PcA_ixo_SB8Rzw4tpYlMgaTuVlTDT
Lagimo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijbMoDIIlqY&list=PLad6PcA_ixo_SB8Rzw4tpYlMgaTuVlTDT
Bling Bling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6sGWEv8G6E&list=PLad6PcA_ixo_SB8Rzw4tpYlMgaTuVlTDT
Gunners for life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArmTWTQWkKw&list=PLad6PcA_ixo_SB8Rzw4tpYlMgaTuVlTDT
Re: Can Nollywood Ever Make Cartoons by Thazard(m): 5:44pm On Aug 11, 2020

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fast And Furious 8 Movie / Jackie Chan Vs Jet Li. Who Do You Think Will Win. / Cossy Orjiakor Is Back With New Movie "1 Million Boys" (trailer)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.