Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,772 members, 7,809,980 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:09 PM

How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? (13331 Views)

Acquire Skills To Earn An Income - Build Your Own Jumia Or Konga - / Pls Stop Searching For Job And Acquire This Good Skill / 10 Ways To Be Great This Year 2014 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by Contumely: 9:19am On Dec 14, 2013
infinity001:

I'm very much using my programming and networking skill because I own a Public Relations {PR}/media firm which absolutely needs them on a daily basis.

Short hand is very productive if you find yourself in the right place. As a human capital/Resource consultant and career coach I've had proposals from multinational companies and agencies whereby one of the most outstanding requirements they need from applicants especially to fill in commercial portfolios is a formidable knowledge in shorthand. So my dear, no knowledge is a waste. I know of so many doctors who are also experts in ICT. As a lawyer, I have a poultry farm and fish ponds, a skill I acquired in my university days.

Moreover, I agree with you that we need luck to succeed. But any man who sits at home, folds his hands and wait for luck to knock at his door is a multinational fool and will die a failure.

I agree with the last paragraph because we a kind of tend to create our own luck too. But I think the axiom that no knowledge is a waste is a conventional wisdom whose relevance is now spent. Or of what use will sewing skills be for meif I were a lawyer.
There is tendency that I may find that knowledge handy once in a blue moon but does it worth it after all? How many times will get to use it? Wouldn't it be more politic to use the time and resources and gain other relevant skills?
Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by infinity001(m): 10:06am On Dec 14, 2013
Contumely:

I agree with the last paragraph because we a kind of tend to create our own luck too. But I think the axiom that no knowledge is a waste is a conventional wisdom whose relevance is now spent. Or of what use will sewing skills be for meif I were a lawyer.
There is tendency that I may find that knowledge handy once in a blue moon but does it worth it after all? How many times will get to use it? Wouldn't it be more politic to use the time and resources and gain other relevant skills?

I have a lawyer friend who owns a COUTURE in Abuja and Port Harcourt because of her passion for sewing and she's doing absolutely well.

1 Like

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by akj26(m): 11:51am On Dec 14, 2013
PMP, PRINCE2, ITIL V3, CISSP. I'll start ORACLE 12c @ first logic next year by D special grace of GOD.

1 Like

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by infinity001(m): 7:29am On Dec 15, 2013
Obizee316: Omooh ,I learnt so many things this year ranging from communication,office applications without official training,good internet searching skills for helpful result,software management skills.and a whole lot more.but my problem is which one will take me to d next level and will help me grow in my Career path,as in I started with engineering background but nw into sales with little Technical skills involved .pls Advice.

Since you are in the Engineering field, why don't you develop and master your software management skills... It could take you farther than you'd imagine.
Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by chelseaguy: 1:19pm On Dec 15, 2013
Op, I applaud you for creating this thread. However, I think some of your achievements for the year are exaggerated. How can you achieve 80+ % in French in just a year? It can only be achieved with total immersion, and you live Nigeria. What you stated is a native level proficiency.

1 Like

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by infinity001(m): 4:21pm On Dec 15, 2013
chelseaguy: Op, I applaud you for creating this thread. However, I think some of your achievements for the year are exaggerated. How can you achieve 80+ % in French in just a year? It can only be achieved with total immersion, and you live Nigeria. What you stated is a native level proficiency.

No, I didn't exaggerate. I started learning French in Port Harcourt in January and den Lagos before leaving for Benin Republic in April for the next phase, then finally spent 3 weeks in France on scholarship for coming out in the top 3 in my french school.

2 Likes

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by cheapgadgets6: 12:06am On Dec 16, 2013
Em_vin: I learnt some engineering skills; can now build circuits, inverters, transformers etc. Currently on my programming.
can I mit u pls? Am an elect elect undrgraduate,wana rili lrn dos tins u listed.pls cn u drop ya cntct or I shld drop mine? Tnx 08106326186

1 Like

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by MrsAwesome: 9:05am On Dec 16, 2013
Have perfected intrathecal injections. Can anesthesise perfectly now, with God being my helper.

2 Likes

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by thecia(f): 4:47pm On Dec 18, 2013
Please what catering school did u attend?? Is it in Lagos?
yinx007: This year, after searching for a job so bad I didn't get.. I enrolled in a catering schl, fine tuned my baking skills and since I have a passion for cooking it made it easier for me, learnt cakes, decoration of cakes, sharwama, kebabs... Took it a notch higher... Taught myself cookies and some soups nt peculiar to my tribe.. I intended adding IT skillz to it but I'll pick that up next year and fine tune my french once and for all cuz I'm 55% good with french.. Would write the necessary exams.. Another skill I achieved was learning to memorize bible verses... I love to read but had issues with memorizing my bible verses..

2014 here I come.

1 Like

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by geebehn(m): 2:31pm On Dec 31, 2013
I deal with textile batik work in different styles like t-shirts, batik tops, yardage etc...

I learnt there's sure market for these kind product ln Lag.
If you're based in Lagos and you wanna partner with me, kindly contact me through email @ my signature...thanks

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by cmonek(m): 6:41pm On Jan 07, 2014
[quote author=infinity001][/quote] please where can i enroll for french classes here in ph.? Really interested in learning french. Please dont ignore bro. Thanks
Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by mkoabiola: 9:24am On Jan 08, 2014
I wanna learn carport installation.
Pls,if u knw abt it ,pls pm me
Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by cmonek(m): 4:27pm On Jan 09, 2014
mko abiola: I wanna learn carport installation.
Pls,if u knw abt it ,pls pm me
where r u based?? We can work together. Though am not into it but i do have lots of clients on my neck to link them up with car port installers.
Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by mkoabiola: 12:40pm On Jan 10, 2014
cmonek: where r u based?? We can work together. Though am not into it but i do have lots of clients on my neck to link them up with car port installers.
Thank u very much .
Am based in lagos,
I will b very happy if u can link me up wit car ports installers.
Ds my no 08027264996.
Ready n willing to start.
Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by Wisegeek01(m): 3:02pm On Jan 10, 2014
So far . ..i understand french italian spanish (but can only write french)becos when I was younger Dad used to make us read some set of dictionaries he bought,
now i'm in my early 20's i'm also considering german' kinda hard though,

i'm also a graphics designer: which all started as a hobby though.

Right now still in school studying Computer science.

Im' still looking at a whole lot of stuff to aquire. .. Time would tell.

almost forgot,
i'm also handy at fixing stuffz, it all depends on how complex, guess my time wasting reading how to tutorials' online s'kinda paying off. ..lol
Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jun 27, 2014
Actually, I'm still acquiring the skill: writing skills. But I can confidently structure sentences now, thanks to NASCON (you might want to look it up on Facebook), and I can now write a story, a fictional story, because I try to cultivate the habit of reading novels--novels that normally I would use to pick groundnut shells.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Alison: 100 Courses Offered Free Of Charge + Certificate / Photo: Cripples Serve As Street Sweepers In Kaduna State / Nigerian Photographer Receives Getty Images Creative Bursary Award

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.