Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,671 members, 7,955,458 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 06:23 AM

How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? (13440 Views)

Acquire Skills To Earn An Income - Build Your Own Jumia Or Konga - / Pls Stop Searching For Job And Acquire This Good Skill / 10 Ways To Be Great This Year 2014 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by Nobody: 6:41pm On Dec 12, 2013
@ bolded; spot on; a well deserved qualification if you want to improve your skills on project management...
icon8: Project Management skills and certification. I recently got PRINCE2 certified (Practitioner).
Leadership and Innovation (I further honed my skills in this aspect this year).
Family (stayed home with family more this year).

2 Likes

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by YoshiMaster: 6:42pm On Dec 12, 2013
At the end of the day guys, your success depends on:

HOW BAD DO YOU WANT IT?

Have you ever chased a girl you really liked (maybe your first love), stayed up late to the wee hours of the morning talking with her? Given her flowers? Did everything you could do within your power to maker her yours? You wanted her bad didn't you?

For your success, you have to want it even more than this. You have to want it as much as you want to breathe.

So yes you learn a new skill, but then what? The chase for perfection, success, victory!

HOW BAD DO YOU WANT IT?

1 Like

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by alphaconde(m): 6:46pm On Dec 12, 2013
I got trained as a banker, that training turned my entire life around.

BTW
For those ladies claiming they must get married this year. Its just 2 saturdays left.
Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by JuniorSali: 6:47pm On Dec 12, 2013
O boi the kind skills wey i possess @ football these days. I wonder y Barca fc is yet to find me. smh
Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by Nobody: 6:49pm On Dec 12, 2013

2 Likes

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by Lero15(m): 6:51pm On Dec 12, 2013
Guitar, drumset(advanced), HSE cert, autocad(advanced), singing & composing skills too...

1 Like

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by valencia25(m): 6:51pm On Dec 12, 2013
Can someone help me check if i'm viewing this thread?
Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by AjanleKoko: 6:54pm On Dec 12, 2013
Nice thread, for a change. wink

Nice to know some people are not sitting on their hands and waiting for God or GEJ to DO SOMETHING grin undecided

1 Like

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by Booty4me: 6:56pm On Dec 12, 2013
i learned how to operate baba ijebu terminal... tongue

1 Like

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by xtenxive(m): 6:58pm On Dec 12, 2013
icon8: Project Management skills and certification. I recently got PRINCE2 certified (Practitioner).
Leadership and Innovation (I further honed my skills in this aspect this year).
Family (stayed home with family more this year).

Intend to write Prince 2, please will like to contact you for advise on how to go about preparing.
I hope you'll be helpful
Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by Nobody: 6:58pm On Dec 12, 2013
Well, I acquired like six new skills that I practice on daily bases tho I havnt started making money from them, but I ve more friends.

The problem now is that if I list the styles sorry skills here, I may be banned for using *** talks.

Cheers.
Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by obyikye(f): 6:58pm On Dec 12, 2013
I learnt fashion and desigh skills, next on line is Ankara shoe and bag design. I also learnt how to braid hair.

3 Likes

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by adamsdauptmist(m): 7:04pm On Dec 12, 2013
I learnt how to sew clothes

2 Likes

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by othuskyTM(m): 7:06pm On Dec 12, 2013
infinity001: Let's talk about SKILLS.

So often in this country we underestimate the importance of skills and it's so sad.
We give so much value to career which is sporadically becoming unhealthy to long time productivity and financial independence.

Many of us are satisfied with our education{what we read in school} and we don't care to go to the next step.

This next step is ACQUIRING SKILLS.

As a lawyer and motivational speaker/consultant, I find it absolutely imperative to procure relevant skills even outside of the domain of my profession and calling.

Do you want a long term level of personal productivity{effectiveness and efficiency}? Then it doesn't matter what you read in school, where you work presently or the business you run... You must FORTIFY yourself with SKILLS.

Listen, no man has ever become a billionaire with the salary from his boss.... Prove me wrong.

look around you, the Jimoh Ibrahim, Mike Adenuga, Aliko Dangote, Oba Otudeko, just to mention a few. Have you ever paused to ask yourself how they got elevated to where they are today? Yes I have. They went the extra mile, recognized their dominant gifts in them, and added excellence to what they do.

So many of us are multi-talented yet we wonder why we are not making it in life. We wonder why we are not goi g forward in our chosen career... I have the answer to that. We've refused to go the extra step.

I made a commitment at the start of the year to do everything necessary to grow as a legal practitioner, speaker, trainer and consultant.Growing is a choice and it takes diligence, character and efficiency to achieve maximum growth.

Some of the major skills I acquired this year.
1. 85% proficiency in French. I realized that as a speaker who aspires to reach the whole world with my messages, I must take the time out of my busy schedule to learn new languages and I had to start with French. I can't describe how excited I am that I can speak and write in french fluently... A subject I so much detested in secondary school but I realized that it was relevant to my personal development. My fluency in French, opened uncommon doors for me to France for the first time. Next in line is Portuguese {2014}

2. Entrepreneurship
Even as a lawyer, I believe that entrepreneurship is the one of the keys to financial independence. In as much as I speak on Entrepreneurship, I realized that I must also act it. The desire to acquire viable and formidable knowledge on entrepreneurship took me to conferences and Seminars where I paid a fortune to learn form guest speakers like Brian Tracy and Zig Ziglar. Remember, to learn or develop a skill, you must be ready to sacrifice your time, energy and resources. Today, I'm making far beyond what I paid to develop my entrepreneurial skill... On a daily basis.

3.Project Management Skills and Trainings - This opened doors for me to South Africa, Ghana and Kenya.

4. Information and Communication Technology {ICT} - Development of my programming and networking skills.

Let me stop here. Now let's talk about the skills you acquired this year...
I learnt how operate premier lotto terminal (baba ijebu) i think that's an added skill to the ones i already had.
Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by priest2u(m): 7:06pm On Dec 12, 2013
How to survive ASUU strike, I've perfected this skills and can survive a century of ASUU strike.

2 Likes

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by Nobody: 7:09pm On Dec 12, 2013
When you talk about skills acquired this year, they include 1. graphic design and computer networking 2. Improved my reading and writing skills. 3.
Learnt leadership skills through series of leadership seminar 4. learnt how to write a mind blowing curriculum vitae 5. building construction( i was a supervisor during the construction of my dad's building 6. learnt haulage and logistic support 7. learnt event planning 8. creation of blog 9. ability to eat nourishing foods and staying away from junks .....bravo all this achieved due to the lingering ASUU strike action. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by safarigirl(f): 7:15pm On Dec 12, 2013
Thanks to ASUU strike, my love for the Super Eagles has increased and my interest in football has sky-rocketed, previously, I knew more on politics than sports, but now, I can say I know more on sports than most NL guys. I have basic knowledge with French having studied it in sec school (even wrote it in WAEC, got a C5- yes I'm bragging because e no easy, na only me credit French for my school), now I want to learn Spanish and German. I'm a writer so it's imperative that I delve into other languages so as to achieve variety. Apart from those, baking and preparation of confectionaries is a hobby of mine, so I took it upon myself to learn how to prepare samosa, chin-chin and some Indian recipes(na boredom cause am), plus I learnt how to make ankara jewellry. Omo, I don learn plenty things this year, ASUU ese o.

2 Likes

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by Leopantro: 7:17pm On Dec 12, 2013
i learnt and perfected how to do home made shawama and pizzas. i work in a very busy place and have a lot of Customers, making >130% profit on each one i make.gotten orders for various xmas parties. i'm considering going commercial once i can hire someone and add other meals i'm working on.also work as an android and computer consultant; assist in suggesting,setting up and repairing computers,phones and tablets. currently learning a programming Language in order to develop an app. my primary field of work has nothing to do with computers

5 Likes

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by Nobody: 7:19pm On Dec 12, 2013
Am not surprise, educational and intellectual thread's that are necessary for every individual to stand out from the crowds don't usually get huge traffic and comments.

2 Likes

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by Nobody: 7:25pm On Dec 12, 2013
Learnt the basic skills of metal welding and fabrication, plus an ITF certification to back it up; Now, Member Nigerian Institute of Welding, American Welding Society, just to mention a few. Now in the process of opening up my welding outfit.Mind you, I am a graduate of Agricultural Engineering! This for me is massive asides other skills I already have in my kitty!

4 Likes

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by Nobody: 7:25pm On Dec 12, 2013
safarigirl: Thanks to ASUU strike, my love for the Super Eagles has increased and my interest in football has sky-rocketed, previously, I knew more on politics than sports, but now, I can say I know more on sports than most NL guys. I have basic knowledge with French having studied it in sec school (even wrote it in WAEC, got a C5- yes I'm bragging because e no easy, na only me credit French for my school), now I want to learn Spanish and German. I'm a writer so it's imperative that I delve into other languages so as to achieve variety. Apart from those, baking and preparation of confectionaries is a hobby of mine, so I took it upon myself to learn how to prepare samosa, chin-chin and some Indian recipes(na boredom cause am), plus I learnt how to make ankara jewellry. Omo, I don learn plenty things this year, ASUU ese o.

hahaha spot on, i see you as a sports enthusiast, i love your soccer commentary and analysis during the just concluded U17 world cup, most times i wonder if you are a male hiding under female handle. Now i understand better, you are truly wonderful.

2 Likes

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by Irshittabey: 7:27pm On Dec 12, 2013
my skul aint on ASUU strike,but during d holiday i learnt
1-web application development(html,css,jquery,php,mysql)
2-to exploit my literary skills dat i didnt know i have by entering a poetry competion
(i'm a medical student)

1 Like

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by Contumely: 7:27pm On Dec 12, 2013
@OP. You have succeeded in wasting precious time on balderdash and baloney that you erroneously term skill acquisition.
The axiom that no knowledge is a waste is misleading. I learnt Pitman Shorthand while in high school and was unarguably the best student of it in our set. But I have never had cause to use that knowledge. So many other cases abound.
=

You are a lawyer and you learnt programming too, the possibility of your using that knowledge is minute.
=
I disagree on the jimoh Ibrahim et al example too, what determines success in life is not just hardwork and talent alone. A lot is owed to luck and serendipity too.

Osita Chidoka became the head of Road Safety simply because of sheer luck and adventitiousness.

1 Like

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by IAMBREEZY: 7:29pm On Dec 12, 2013
I've learnt a lot of skills this year i thank God....
Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by Psychedelia(m): 7:38pm On Dec 12, 2013
1. My teenage cousin taught me knitting this year, as a little something I could use to pass time. I can now knit living room sofa headrests grin

2. This year, I also fully mastered the art of ambient occlusion and sub-surface scattering on Maya2013, a 3-D rendering and animation software. For those of you who are a little confused... Sub-surface Scattering is the ability of matter to both absorb and scatter light beamed directly at it. A common example is the bright-red light seen on your neighbour's ear when light is beamed from behind it. Phew! Basically, I just mastered how to fully simulate it using a 3-D software. Nerdy stuff grin

3. I finally grasped the art of cooking Egusi soup. Jehovah! Clap for me naau! After 14 tries, no be small thing oooh. I know I got it right this time because my guests didn't quickly rush to scatter my toilet with hot shhitt as was the case before.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY...

4. I FINALLY learned how to do the tongue-roller, bitcches!!! Yes! In your faces! Who's the man?! cool

3 Likes

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by Tuntheycr7: 7:39pm On Dec 12, 2013
1. Onshore and offshore Health and safety certification
2. Project and management & Ms project tool skills certification (PMP)
3. Petroleum products marketing (PPM)
4. Excel
5. Geophysical survey and interpretation

God help me next year, NEBOsh tins on mind. And probably put all the above skills into practice.

2 Likes

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by Agrika: 7:41pm On Dec 12, 2013
I learnt how to lie without blinking....as in the nigerian context..i learnt how to "get sense"
Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by Emvin(m): 7:43pm On Dec 12, 2013
I learnt some engineering skills; can now build circuits, inverters, transformers etc. Currently on my programming.

1 Like

Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by Tuntheycr7: 7:54pm On Dec 12, 2013
Contumely: @OP. You have succeeded in wasting precious time on balderdash and baloney that you erroneously term skill acquisition.
The axiom that no knowledge is a waste is misleading. I learnt Pitman Shorthand while in high school and was unarguably the best student of it in our set. But I have never had cause to use that knowledge. So many other cases abound.
=
s
You are a lawyer and you learnt programming too, the possibility of your using that knowledge is minute.
=
I disagree on the jimoh Ibrahim et al example too, what determines success in life is not just hardwork and talent alone. A lot is owed to luck and serendipity too.

Osita Chidoka became the head of Road Safety simply because of sheer luck and adventitiousness.

You must be High on watery beans. Nonsense

infact go and sleep.
So because you failed means others would be like you ? I pity ya future children in advance.
Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by Zeebah23(f): 7:57pm On Dec 12, 2013
Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by 40Lightyears: 7:58pm On Dec 12, 2013
infinity001: Let's talk about SKILLS.

So often in this country we underestimate the importance of skills and it's so sad.
We give so much value to career which is sporadically becoming unhealthy to long time productivity and financial independence.

Many of us are satisfied with our education{what we read in school} and we don't care to go to the next step.

This next step is ACQUIRING SKILLS.

As a lawyer and motivational speaker/consultant, I find it absolutely imperative to procure relevant skills even outside of the domain of my profession and calling.

Do you want a long term level of personal productivity{effectiveness and efficiency}? Then it doesn't matter what you read in school, where you work presently or the business you run... You must FORTIFY yourself with SKILLS.

Listen, no man has ever become a billionaire with the salary from his boss.... Prove me wrong.

look around you, the Jimoh Ibrahim, Mike Adenuga, Aliko Dangote, Oba Otudeko, just to mention a few. Have you ever paused to ask yourself how they got elevated to where they are today? Yes I have. They went the extra mile, recognized their dominant gifts in them, and added excellence to what they do.

So many of us are multi-talented yet we wonder why we are not making it in life. We wonder why we are not goi g forward in our chosen career... I have the answer to that. We've refused to go the extra step.

I made a commitment at the start of the year to do everything necessary to grow as a legal practitioner, speaker, trainer and consultant.Growing is a choice and it takes diligence, character and efficiency to achieve maximum growth.

Some of the major skills I acquired this year.
1. 85% proficiency in French. I realized that as a speaker who aspires to reach the whole world with my messages, I must take the time out of my busy schedule to learn new languages and I had to start with French. I can't describe how excited I am that I can speak and write in french fluently... A subject I so much detested in secondary school but I realized that it was relevant to my personal development. My fluency in French, opened uncommon doors for me to France for the first time. Next in line is Portuguese {2014}

2. Entrepreneurship
Even as a lawyer, I believe that entrepreneurship is the one of the keys to financial independence. In as much as I speak on Entrepreneurship, I realized that I must also act it. The desire to acquire viable and formidable knowledge on entrepreneurship took me to conferences and Seminars where I paid a fortune to learn form guest speakers like Brian Tracy and Zig Ziglar. Remember, to learn or develop a skill, you must be ready to sacrifice your time, energy and resources. Today, I'm making far beyond what I paid to develop my entrepreneurial skill... On a daily basis.

3.Project Management Skills and Trainings - This opened doors for me to South Africa, Ghana and Kenya.

4. Information and Communication Technology {ICT} - Development of my programming and networking skills.

Let me stop here. Now let's talk about the skills you acquired this year...

@op, its good u brought this up. Earlier this year i tasked myself to acquire three key skills. (IOSH, OSHA) both are safety skills and project management.
Thank God i achieved all.
Like a famous man once said, "THE MOMENT U STOP LEARNING, U STOP LIVING!"
Re: How Many Skills Did You Acquire This Year? by Zeebah23(f): 8:00pm On Dec 12, 2013
My fashion designing skill is now near-perfect.
i learnt how to make bags, shoes, slippers and sandals.
i sharpened my ICT skills...............

and i'm still a student.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

LPDC Probe: Ogunde Quits Jrp Over Stance, Backs Daughter, Olanipekun / Tayo Aderinokun, GTBank CEO, Passes On / Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.