Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,980 members, 7,814,335 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:14 AM

Has Nigeria Ever Produced A World Class Player? - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Has Nigeria Ever Produced A World Class Player? (6981 Views)

Making NPFL A World Class League; A Masterplan (1) / Where Has Nigeria First Invented Sport Gone To? Why? And Where? Has ABULA Gone! / John Mikel Obi The Worst Player Nigeria Has Ever Produced (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Has Nigeria Ever Produced A World Class Player? by dayokanu(m): 10:13am On Aug 10, 2008
why on earth do people think we never produced a world class player.ave you forgotten names like these and so called world called name
tijani babangida[/b] was once called the fastest man in the world
[b]finidi george was once called the best right winger in the world
kanu don't bother yourselves is bin a world class from japan 93 uptill today
okocha recognition all over the world

Who does all this ratings ? Fastest man, Best winger, reh reh reh by which authority.

Fastest man so David odonkor is world class?

Ronaldinho was the best player in the world by FIFA and UEFA.

George Weah was best Player in the world by FIFA and UEFA

Etoo was 3rd in the world by FIFA

Do the same for Tijani, Finidi and Okocha and get back to me.
Re: Has Nigeria Ever Produced A World Class Player? by DrKitaun(m): 2:51am On Aug 11, 2008
no mind the stone age man . . . grin
Re: Has Nigeria Ever Produced A World Class Player? by tommyex(m): 9:42pm On Aug 12, 2008
No
Re: Has Nigeria Ever Produced A World Class Player? by Nobody: 6:15pm On Dec 31, 2008
Where are the WC Nigerian players?
Re: Has Nigeria Ever Produced A World Class Player? by Nobody: 7:46pm On Dec 31, 2008
Really,none of our guys can be termed World class.
None makes the shortlist for Ballon D'Or/Player of the year,
None commands world-class fees in the transfer market.
None,save Kanu/Finidi played at the highest level (90's Champions league)
The standard for world class in my opinion-Zidane,Ronaldo de Lima,Figo,Raul,Weah,Maldini,Gullit,van Basten,Matthaus,Laudrup Brothers,Romario.
Can our best rub shoulders with these?I doubt seriously
Re: Has Nigeria Ever Produced A World Class Player? by ayusco: 12:23pm On Jan 05, 2009
interesting topic! on the drogba issue he's a category 2 world class player. he's won a couple of domestic trophies with chelsea but thats it. uefa cup?, chmp lge? nada! with CIV as this is their golden generation he has not won jack! thats y kanu, jj, & finidi r beta than him in my own estimation. E'too is on d other hand is light years ahead of drogba Category 1 world class (take that to the bank & cash it!) cool cool cool
Re: Has Nigeria Ever Produced A World Class Player? by Nobody: 1:49pm On Jan 05, 2009
ayusco:

interesting topic! on the drogba issue he's a category 2 world class player. he's won a couple of domestic trophies with chelsea but thats it. uefa cup?, chmp lge? nada! with CIV as this is their golden generation he has not won jack! thats y kanu, jj, & finidi r beta than him in my own estimation. E'too is on d other hand is light years ahead of drogba Category 1 world class (take that to the bank & cash it!) cool cool cool
oga, after reluctantly admitting something, why the anger!!!
Re: Has Nigeria Ever Produced A World Class Player? by tkb417(m): 8:17am On Jan 06, 2009
Really,none of our guys can be termed World class.
None makes the shortlist for Ballon D'Or/Player of the year,
None commands world-class fees in the transfer market.
None,save Kanu/Finidi played at the highest level (90's Champions league)
The standard for world class in my opinion-Zidane,Ronaldo de Lima,Figo,Raul,Weah,Maldini,Gullit,van Basten,Matthaus,Laudrup Brothers,Romario.
Can our best rub shoulders with these?I doubt seriously
error!!!!
so only zidane and co can be called world class players?
then Ballack, Berbatov, Drogba are not world class players? grin grin grin
im laffin in swahili

Kanu was a world class player in his days!!
same can be said of Okocha, Finidi, Oliseh and Taribo in thier days!!
Re: Has Nigeria Ever Produced A World Class Player? by Nobody: 10:36am On Jan 06, 2009
tkb,
Laugh in Fulani for all I care.
Has any of our players met the criteria?
Read my post.
It's only Kanu and Finidi that come close to that category.
The players you listed cannot come close to the ones I listed.Maybe standards have fallen,because I'm yet to see what the players you mentioned have done to be titled World-class.Apart from maybe their transfer fees.
And I maintain.Kanu cannot rub shoulders with Zizou and co.But he is a great player.His trophy cabinet speaks for itself.

Taribo?At best he was efficient.
Oliseh?Maybe we could make a case for him.
Okocha?Enough said on him.

Being world class makes it an elite group.Stop adding every johhny-come-lately to it.
Re: Has Nigeria Ever Produced A World Class Player? by ayusco: 10:40am On Jan 06, 2009
Jarus:

oga, after reluctantly admitting something, why the anger!!!

guy where's d reluctance & anger in what i typed?
Re: Has Nigeria Ever Produced A World Class Player? by tkb417(m): 11:02am On Jan 06, 2009
tkb,
Laugh in Fulani for all I care.
Has any of our players met the criteria?
Read my post.
It's only Kanu and Finidi that come close to that category.
The players you listed cannot come close to the ones I listed.Maybe standards have fallen,because I'm yet to see what the players you mentioned have done to be titled World-class.Apart from maybe their transfer fees.
And I maintain.Kanu cannot rub shoulders with Zizou and co.But he is a great player.His trophy cabinet speaks for itself.

Taribo?At best he was efficient.
Oliseh?Maybe we could make a case for him.
Okocha?Enough said on him.

Being world class makes it an elite group.Stop adding every johhny-come-lately to it

ill expect you to be scientific with arguements next time you wanna respond to this arguement.
Why shift the goal posts? one, you can make a case for some, Finidi came close, Kanu came close, Okocha?, they commanded huge transfer fees!!! what are you now talking about?

u said i should look at your criteria? why should i use ur criteria? why not mine? ur criteria are the ones from FIFA abi or UEFA?
think through before u send stuffs.

If those guys are not world class, then like i said Ballack isnt a world class player and anyone who says Ballack isnt a world class player should be quarantined from any soccer forum

zizou? what are u talking about? how many players can rub shoulders with Zizou? even Messi cannot so what are u driving at?
in Zizous time only Ronaldo and Ronaldinho can rival him means we had no world class players in that era?

im lost here. stop forming unnecessary definitions of world class players, i have listened to many top notch commentators and football afficionados that call the likes of Drogba, Kanu and co world class. ur definition will not count anyway, that was just ur opinion i guess
Re: Has Nigeria Ever Produced A World Class Player? by dani1luv: 11:36am On Jan 06, 2009
[b]ill expect you to be scientific with arguements next time you want to respond to this arguement.[/b]Why shift the goal posts? one, you can make a case for some, Finidi came close, Kanu came close, Okocha?, they commanded huge transfer fees!!! what are you now talking about?

u said i should look at your criteria? why should i use ur criteria? why not mine? ur criteria are the ones from FIFA abi or UEFA?
think through before u send stuffs.

If those guys are not world class, then like i said Ballack isnt a world class player and anyone who says Ballack isnt a world class player should be quarantined from any soccer forum

zizou? what are u talking about? how many players can rub shoulders with Zizou? even Messi cannot so what are u driving at?
in Zizous time only Ronaldo and Ronaldinho can rival him means we had no world class players in that era?

I'm lost here. stop forming unnecessary definitions of world class players, i have listened to many top notch commentators and football afficionados that call the likes of Drogba, Kanu and co world class. ur definition will not count anyway, that was just ur opinion i guess

Na wa oh coz of sportz
Re: Has Nigeria Ever Produced A World Class Player? by Nobody: 11:39am On Jan 06, 2009
guy,
what has ballack done to warrant him that title?
I'm not shifting any goalposts.It's my opinion so stop ranting through your anus.
Maybe Ballack now is world-class,to you,but to me,I'm not yet impressed at him.
Like it or not,I won't follow the bandwagon of calling Okocha world-class,just because he dribbled his senses out in France 98.Oliseh was decent,decent enough to get into any team,but world class for his is an overstatement.
Finidi & Kanu are the closest to world class we've seen but will they make an all-time first eleven?Probably,but then probably not too.

Men stop this your approach.If you cared to read through my original post,you would see I was expressing my own opinion.Don't force yours through to me.
Call everybody world class,even you, and that's your problem.I know for a fact that that list is few,and only for an elite gruop.
Re: Has Nigeria Ever Produced A World Class Player? by tkb417(m): 11:49am On Jan 06, 2009
guy,
what has ballack done to warrant him that title?
I'm not shifting any goalposts.It's my opinion so stop ranting through your anus.
Maybe Ballack now is world-class,to you,but to me,I'm not yet impressed at him.
Like it or not,I won't follow the bandwagon of calling Okocha world-class,just because he dribbled his senses out in France 98.Oliseh was decent,decent enough to get into any team,but world class for his is an overstatement.
Finidi & Kanu are the closest to world class we've seen but will they make an all-time first eleven?Probably,but then probably not too.

Men stop this your approach.If you cared to read through my original post,you would see I was expressing my own opinion.Don't force yours through to me.
Call everybody world class,even you, and that's your problem.I know for a fact that that list is few,and only for an elite gruop.
im sure you dont have problems comprehending English
i alluded to the fact that what u posted was ur opinion and mine was what i posted.
show me where i asked you to follow the bandwagon

again, do this scientifically. . . ure not impressed by Ballack doesnt mean hes not a world class player. no one gives a flying fck what u think or what i think. Those are world class players by all standards!!!
the likes of Zizou are wizards in the game and u cant compare them with others!!!

cheers

ranting through my anus grin grin ill let it pass
Re: Has Nigeria Ever Produced A World Class Player? by Sauron1: 2:02pm On Jan 06, 2009
Only a consummate idiot would say no Nigerian player is world class.

Kanu Nwankwo
George Finidi
Jay-Jay Okocha
Rasheed Yekini

U don't have to win Ballon d'Or to be a world class player.
Batistuta, Vieira, Raul, Roy Keane, Henry never won the Ballon d'Or. . . . .So it means they are now world class??
How daft can some people be?
Re: Has Nigeria Ever Produced A World Class Player? by tkb417(m): 2:57pm On Jan 06, 2009
U don't have to win Ballon d'Or to be a world class player.
Batistuta, Vieira, Raul, Roy Keane, Henry never won the Ballon d'Or. . . . .So it means they are now world class??
How daft can some people be?
right on spot!!

Ruud, Berbatov, Gerrard, Mascherano, Drogba, Scholes and co are world class players!!!!
how are they different from Kanu, Okocha, Finidi and co?

u guys just form unnecessary definitions everytime. Thats Dayos AOC
rubbish definitions

Kanu is one of the most decorated footballers in Africa, 2 time african footballer of the year, played in world class clubs and yet hes no world class player, its sickening trying to understand the logic behind what eastbay is trying to say
Re: Has Nigeria Ever Produced A World Class Player? by dani1luv: 3:03pm On Jan 06, 2009
right on spot!!

Ruud, Berbatov, Gerrard, Mascherano, Drogba, Scholes and co are world class players!!!!
rubbish definitions

Kanu is one of the most decorated footballers in Africa, 2 time african footballer of the year, played in world class clubs and yet hes no world class player, its sickening trying to understand the logic behind what eastbay is trying to say

see hau u open ur mauth jst like dat nna
dose players suppose nt to be recommended
Re: Has Nigeria Ever Produced A World Class Player? by Sauron1: 3:10pm On Jan 06, 2009
tkb417:

right on spot!!

rubbish definitions

Dayokanu is daft. . . . . . . .It's not surprising he carried over his stupidity of 2008 into 2009.

George Weah is not better than Yekini(in his prime).
The only schitzo here is Yekini never played for a big club(same as Jay Jay Okocha).
Cheese n Rice. . . . . .The media has dubbed Ashley Young(Aston Villa) a world class player.
A. Young does not even possess 10% of Finidi's skillz.
Re: Has Nigeria Ever Produced A World Class Player? by dani1luv: 3:36pm On Jan 06, 2009
Dayokanu is daft. . . . . . . .It's not surprising he carried over his stupidity of 2008 into 2009.

George Weah is not better than Yekini(in his prime).
The only schitzo here is Yekini never played for a big club(same as Jay Jay Okocha).
Cheese n Rice. . . . . .The media has dubbed Ashley Young(Aston Villa) a world class player.
A. Young does not even possess 10% of Finidi's skillz

pls we re in a public board so u mind ur speech [sub[b]](dis not an insult)[/b][/sub]
Re: Has Nigeria Ever Produced A World Class Player? by vicade(m): 3:44pm On Jan 06, 2009
Kanu Nwankwo and Finidi George for me are the two world class players Nigeria has Produced.
Re: Has Nigeria Ever Produced A World Class Player? by kaypumpin2(m): 4:11pm On Jan 06, 2009
The parameters and indices for measuring world class players aint exclusive and if we are to use the Ballon d'Or and other awards as the ONLY yardstick,then a lotta players will not even be mentioned.These awards are most times the opinions of the majority.

To say Nigeria as a nation has not produced world class player in the game of football is blasphemous.

The USA 94 team is replete with many of them, Amunuke,Amokachie,Oliseh,Okocha et al are by any standard GREAT footballers.
Re: Has Nigeria Ever Produced A World Class Player? by topkin(m): 4:20pm On Jan 06, 2009
@ poster

U can say again!
Re: Has Nigeria Ever Produced A World Class Player? by Sauron1: 5:00pm On Jan 06, 2009
kay_pumpin:

The parameters and indices for measuring world class players aint exclusive and if we are to use the Ballon d'Or and other awards as the ONLY yardstick,then a lotta players will not even be mentioned.These awards are most times the opinions of the majority.

I agree 100%.

Defining world class across the spectrum is very difficult if only because a lot will depend on individual interpretation.
Even if we attempt to restrain any sense of bias and make an objective assessment, we have to first assess whether the basis of that assessment is objective also. There seems to be two strains of thought, at least in this thread - (1) that to be world class the player concerned must have won Ballon d'Or, FIFA Player Of The Year, OR (2) that to be world class the player concerned must be able to hypothetically compete with a World XI.

The latter seems very idealistic and appears relatively easy to categorise such thinking - but it also appears to have fatal flaws in garnering an assessment; the team itself is hypothetical - so we fail to gain a basis anyway as to their talent besides continual circles of argument.
Secondly, the team itself has no concrete opposition except hypothetical equivalents - it would seem very important to judge talent, in all its dynamics, on how it stands up to the pressure of a competitive scenario.

The conclusion is rather simple. . . .that there can be no radically consistent form of assessment for deciding who is world class and who is not as long as the players themselves suffer from an inconsistency we would happily call being human. 
It likely means that either the term world class, as we currently understand it in this thread, under the above scenarios - is too rigid and therefore must contain a larger spread of players to account for raw talent across the spectrum, avoiding practical consistency, or that the group of agreed world class players is in fact exponentially smaller - very few players reaching shocking heights of consistent achievment and performance.

All i know is. . . . . as at 1994, Yekini, Amokachie, Amuneke, Finidi, Okocha, Oliseh, Okechukwu and Siasia would walk into the national team of Brazil, Italy, Germany, Argentina and Spain.
In 1996 Olympics, Kanu was undeniably the best player in a competition that had Rivaldo, Bebeto, Ronaldo, Crespo, Ortega, Roberto Carlos, Zanetti and Juninho so what are we talking about??
Re: Has Nigeria Ever Produced A World Class Player? by dayokanu(m): 5:07pm On Jan 06, 2009
I never get time for all these.

But can anyone tell me any club where Kanu was a regular?
Re: Has Nigeria Ever Produced A World Class Player? by Sauron1: 5:12pm On Jan 06, 2009
dayokanu:

I never get time for all these.

But can anyone tell me any club where Kanu was a regular?

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was never a regular at Man Utd.
He is more legendary than Klose, Toni and Podolski waxed together.
What has being regular gotta do with progidy and skills??
Re: Has Nigeria Ever Produced A World Class Player? by Nobody: 5:17pm On Jan 06, 2009
dayo,
Na wah oh.
This World class thing of a phrase is just being bandied about too easily for my liking.

Sauron,
You'll agree with me that being world class has something to do with a fantasy XI.
So what do we call World Class?
To me,it sounds like the Very Best of The Best.Which means it's elitist.Not everyody is allowed in,in fact only a select few can be labelled as such.
Which is why I tried to draw up a list that I felt would do justice to that term.

Unfortunately some people feel they know it all.

Every sport has its Hall of Fame.Even the clownish WWE does.
Basketball had the Dream Team.There were other star NBA players who couldn't and still wont be able to get into that team.12 of the very best basketball player alive.
Re: Has Nigeria Ever Produced A World Class Player? by tkb417(m): 5:42pm On Jan 06, 2009
Every sport has its Hall of Fame.Even the clownish WWE does.
Basketball had the Dream Team.There were other star NBA players who couldn't and still wont be able to get into that team.12 of the very best basketball player alive.
Hall of fame isnt the same thing as world class players
You can be a great player and still might not be considered as a 'member of the hall of fame'
Players like Zizou, maradona, Pele, Franz, Platini and co are some of the players that readily comes to mind cos of personal exploits and achievements. That still doesnt mean the others are not world class players

I agree with sauron, u cannot have a definite description of who a world class player is. Its so ambiguous and the more u try analysing, you will just go round in circles without achieving anything.
A definition that says Tevez, Berbatov, Drogba, Kanu and Ballack are not world class players will not fly.

Dayo
Kanu played for Arsenal and Inter and has won almost everything apart from world cup so tape it
Re: Has Nigeria Ever Produced A World Class Player? by dayokanu(m): 7:18pm On Jan 06, 2009
@tkb, Kanu had 11 appearances mainly as a substitute Inter Milan.
Kanu played as a sub for Arsenal.

Saha won champions league with Man Utd. so that means what?
Re: Has Nigeria Ever Produced A World Class Player? by dayokanu(m): 8:00pm On Jan 06, 2009
For a player to be considered world class He has to have made a mark in the world of football.

Kanu was the best player in an underaged tournament just Like Sinama Pongole was in a tournament that had tevez,

Ismail Matar was the best player in UAE 2003 where Iniesta played

Niclas Oliveira was the best player in Malaysia 97 where Henry played so what does that drivel you typed about Kanu being the best in Atlanta mean.

What mark has Kanu,Finidi, okocha or anyone made in football Have they ever been considered the top players in their top clubsides. Kanu has never been among the top 4 players in any clubside.

Solskjaer world class? Benched by Dwight Yorke and Andy Cole? Some people are hooked on reefers!!!!

Dont even mention Okocha. Because I rate Ikpeba higher than him. Ikpeba played CL semi finals as one of the top players in Monaco Okocha was the best player in BOLTON escaping relegation. Find the equivalent in whichever player helped Fulham escape relegation last season.
Re: Has Nigeria Ever Produced A World Class Player? by Sauron1: 8:31pm On Jan 06, 2009
How old was Bebeto and Rivaldo in Atlanta 96??
Age grade me ass. . . . . .
Kanu outplayed any European/South American in 1996 and that about sums it all.
His performance in that tournament alone won him African Player Of The Year.

In your lack of understanding, Ikpeba is better than Kanu because Ikpeba played in the CL semi-finals for Monaco??
In short, any player that hasn't played in the champions league semi-final and above is not world class.
Cheese n Rice. . . . . .Nani is a better player than Messi because Messi is yet to play in the UCL final.
I thunk your level of reasoning woulda improved at the turn of the year.
Re: Has Nigeria Ever Produced A World Class Player? by dayokanu(m): 9:04pm On Jan 06, 2009
Logical reasoning evade you.

Kanu better than Ronaldo Lima in 1996? or Ronaldo is Asian?

Is Nani a regular player? Ikpeba played for a top club(Monaco, Dortmund) which clubs did Jayjay play for?

World class players play for world class clubs not Bolton and Hull city.

World class players are regular at Big clubs not benchwarmers at Man Utd or Barca.

A world class player might start at a low club but before the end of your career, You would play at a top club.

World class players make impact in the world of football I mean real Impacts nor substitutes, I can dribble the whole world(Denilson, Quaresma) or "Helping bolton escape relegation"
Re: Has Nigeria Ever Produced A World Class Player? by Nobody: 8:31am On Jan 07, 2009
Dayo,
I agree with you.
No matter how you want to escape it,you must find some criteria for defining world class.And I agree with your criteria.
tkb,
Ask anybody how hard it is to get into any sporting hall of fame.Each year the NBA for example inducts 3 players only,2 coaches and 1 foreigner into its hall of fame.That is how elitist it is in the NBA.
My first criteria is:can you enter a list for a fantasy starting XI?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Usa Vs Spain Fifa U-17 Lights At Kano Stadium Goes Out / Super Eagles Remain On 45th Spot In FIFA Rankings / Buy Very Sharp Toyota Camry 2010 In Lagos.....................(spider) VIEW PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.