Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,743 members, 7,955,835 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 04:32 PM

Is It Crime For Vehicles To Break Down On The Road? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is It Crime For Vehicles To Break Down On The Road? (1812 Views)

Made-In-Nigeria Vehicles To Sell For N1.2m – FG / Made-in-Nigeria Vehicles To Sell For N1.2m / Converting Right Hand Drive Vehicles To Left: Any Issues? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Crime For Vehicles To Break Down On The Road? by pheesayor(m): 2:20pm On Dec 11, 2013
I see this happen regularly. A car breaks down and car owner is trying to get help and next thing is LASTMA/Police/VIO/FRSC etc comes to tow the vehicle and charge the (already bereaved) owner before the vehicle is released.
My question is; Is it crime for vehicles to break down on the road?
Re: Is It Crime For Vehicles To Break Down On The Road? by martronilla: 2:22pm On Dec 11, 2013
See question sha
Re: Is It Crime For Vehicles To Break Down On The Road? by pheesayor(m): 4:15pm On Dec 12, 2013
martronilla: See question sha

This is not funny, it is what motorists go through everyday

1 Like

Re: Is It Crime For Vehicles To Break Down On The Road? by Exponental(m): 4:34pm On Dec 12, 2013
NO! If there is any experience, pls specify!
I disagree with u dat d above mentioned officers tow vehicles away just like dat. Lastma officers will help push off smaller vehicles n wait for a period of time before towing off d bigger ones (trucks). The trucks are towed cos they definitely create traffic on d road due to their sizes n govt earn from this.
Re: Is It Crime For Vehicles To Break Down On The Road? by gulfer: 9:50pm On Dec 12, 2013
Exponental: NO! If there is any experience, pls specify!
I disagree with u dat d above mentioned officers tow vehicles away just like dat. Lastma officers will help push off smaller vehicles n wait for a period of time before towing off d bigger ones (trucks). The trucks are towed cos they definitely create traffic on d road due to their sizes n govt earn from this.
Pray you don't fall victim. If you do, then you'll know.
Re: Is It Crime For Vehicles To Break Down On The Road? by lonelydora: 10:43pm On Dec 12, 2013
It was not suppose to be so, but you know Nigerian uniform men and their easy way of making money from innocent citizens. My advice.....always prepare for the unknown whenever you are driving.
Re: Is It Crime For Vehicles To Break Down On The Road? by cretin: 2:16pm On Dec 13, 2013
don't take this the wrong way, but our people are fond of bringing dilapidated cars on the road/highway...and if the car breaks down..it will lead to massive traffic gridlock....the owners will now feign ignorance and either leave the car there or try looking for help in removing the car..........
its a bitter pill to swallow, but most of the car break downs on the rod are caused by carelessness/stinginess/naija management mentality...............u know for example that ur alternator/battery/kick isn't good...instead of fixing it, u will bring the same car to the rd...then probably if there is small traffic, u see the same owner shutting of f the engine to conserve fuel....then when the traffic starts flowing...u see them struggling to start the car!!!

its not my business if people choose to be stupid/thrifty/careless/ignorant, its their life....but when ur stupidity starts affecting my life and that of others..then its my business to make you take care of your stupidity/ignorance/lifestyle grin

i know in some cases the break down is really genuie, but it still boils down to maintenance...if we imbibe the maintance culture...car breakdowns will be a thing that occurs very infrequent..............go to dubai/uk/usa etc...do u see rdside vulcanizers on the road?...the answer is a big no!!...so u mean to tell me that they dont have tire problems over there?.....food for thought

1 Like

Re: Is It Crime For Vehicles To Break Down On The Road? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Dec 13, 2013
It's not criminal to break down on the freeway...however it's highly irresponsible to use a clapped-out wreck on the freeway, with no means of moving it to a safe area, in the event of a breakdown.

Many an innocent soul has met their demise, when they've run into a beat-up hulk, which the owner has abandoned with no regards for other road users. angry
Re: Is It Crime For Vehicles To Break Down On The Road? by earthrealm(m): 2:36pm On Dec 13, 2013
siena & cretin are on point!.

ur car could break down on the lonely lagos - benin rd, its not any body biz, u cud even sleep there with the car, if u can push it off the rd......but then if ur car breaks down on a busy rd inside the city causing obstruction to traffic flow, then it becomes a crime grin
Re: Is It Crime For Vehicles To Break Down On The Road? by pheesayor(m): 4:04pm On Dec 13, 2013
While what has been posted above is highly reasonable, I need Lagos drivers to comment on this from experience. Your car breaks down and before you know it VIO officials are beside you. I've seen this happen severally....
Re: Is It Crime For Vehicles To Break Down On The Road? by mikkyphp(m): 12:27pm On Dec 16, 2013
in 2010 i had a break down on third mainland bridge. i was towed off instantly by Lastma and charged 10k
Re: Is It Crime For Vehicles To Break Down On The Road? by chucky234(m): 3:20pm On Dec 17, 2013
Was driving along badagry exp-way just getting close to mile2 after Mazamaza I heard a trebble noise that sounded like my engine was touching the ground, I parked off the road and alighted to check what was causing the sound as the noise became unbearable.
Before I could open the hood/bonnet of the car about four LASTMA men flagged my car,before I could say Jack they towed the car to the back of a Total filling station close to mile2 bus stop and asked me to pay 5k.
I started arguing with them explaining to them why I stopped but all they cared was the 5k or tow the car to Alausa, cars like every other machines are unpredictable no matter the maintenance especially with our quack auto technicians and those chronic goons called LASTMA have to understand that.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Crime For Vehicles To Break Down On The Road? by pheesayor(m): 10:10am On Dec 25, 2013
Thank God someone finally gets my point
chucky234: Was driving along badagry exp-way just getting close to mile2 after Mazamaza I heard a trebble noise that sounded like my engine was touching the ground, I parked off the road and alighted to check what was causing the sound as the noise became unbearable.
Before I could open the hood/bonnet of the car about four LASTMA men flagged my car,before I could say Jack they towed the car to the back of a Total filling station close to mile2 bus stop and asked me to pay 5k.
I started arguing with them explaining to them why I stopped but all they cared was the 5k or tow the car to Alausa, cars like every other machines are unpredictable no matter the maintenance especially with our quack auto technicians and those chronic goons called LASTMA have to understand that.
Re: Is It Crime For Vehicles To Break Down On The Road? by Nobody: 12:09pm On Dec 25, 2013
pheesayor: Thank God someone finally gets my point

People DO get your point - at least, I do.

It's just that the average Nigerian WILL abuse privileges. Setting out from home with an ill-maintained car is bad. Worse when the car breaks down in a dangerous spot, and the owner abandons it there, whilst he / she goes in search of a mechanic. It's not acceptable, for someone else to pay the price, when they run into a car dumped in an area used by fast traffic - after a blind bend, over the brow of a hill, in a dip etc.

Some of these clapped-out cars don't even have rear lights, or reflectors! Such cars should be removed by the authotities, and DESTROYED. The owners should also pay the cost of removal AND destruction.

1 Like

Re: Is It Crime For Vehicles To Break Down On The Road? by Nep2une(m): 1:53pm On Jan 10, 2015
if your car broke down yu suppose just call autosave roadside assistance they make sense. they normally send a mechanic to come help yu repair the car or send a towing van to pick yu. check their site http://autosave.com.ng or call 07051990781
Re: Is It Crime For Vehicles To Break Down On The Road? by redcliff: 12:31am On Jan 26, 2015
earthrealm:
siena & cretin are on point!.

ur car could break down on the lonely lagos - benin rd, its not any body biz, u cud even sleep there with the car, if u can push it off the rd......but then if ur car breaks down on a busy rd inside the city causing obstruction to traffic flow, then it becomes a crime grin

please there is a difference between a crime and an offence
Re: Is It Crime For Vehicles To Break Down On The Road? by Export1: 11:41am On Jan 26, 2015
It might be a fault of an owner because of not enough attention to the technical and mechanical parts of the car. In case if the check was missed it might be a crime.

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Sienna / Please Help Me Decide!! / Tokunbo Toyota Camry (pencil) Or Used Toyota Corolla 2004 ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.