Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,641 members, 7,809,404 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:02 AM

Did You Know? (Car Facts) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Did You Know? (Car Facts) (3610 Views)

How To Know Car Horn Faults (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did You Know? (Car Facts) by nissparts(m): 8:15pm On Dec 11, 2013
Hi All,

Thought I'd create a thread where we can share car knowledge based on experience or just plain benefit of information.

Feel free to add any tip you think most people will not know.

• The 2013 Honda accord will be the first accord with CVT transmission (similar to the Murano). This means the usual auto shifting feel will be missing and also a more expensive transmission. If you plan on buying this vehicle from an independent dealer, bear in mind you will have no warranty on the transmission if something goes wrong and note that CVTs are not repairable when damaged internally. I would strongly advice that a vehicle like this is only purchased from an accredited dealer
• The 2013 Rav 4 requires synthetic engine oil (0w 20 or 5w20) specifically and usage of any other engine oil grade voids the warranty and will damage the engine. Typically also, this means that if you buy one today, the earliest time you should be servicing it (oil change) is December 2014 or 7500miles
• If you must buy a Murano, avoid specially the 03-04 models with AWD. Apart from CVT issues, the transfer case fails prematurely starting with a leak. It is an expensive repair and just another reason to avoid the Murano.
• If you have an 05-12 Pathfinder or Xterra, go through this thread https://www.nairaland.com/991254/own-nissan-pathfinder-xterra-05-11
• The 03-07 Mazda 6 is a good looking car but has an extremely small turning radius which makes it annoying to drive especially in a city like Lagos. If you are a sharp driver, you will not like this

If I remember anything else I will update.

Cheers

2 Likes

Re: Did You Know? (Car Facts) by Burger01(m): 8:23pm On Dec 11, 2013
Nice.
Re: Did You Know? (Car Facts) by Waspy(m): 8:26pm On Dec 11, 2013
Nice one, but what in google's ITK is CVT?
Re: Did You Know? (Car Facts) by Nobody: 8:58pm On Dec 11, 2013
Waspy: Nice one, but what in google's ITK is CVT?
Continously Variable Transmission
Re: Did You Know? (Car Facts) by dandollar1: 3:04pm On Dec 12, 2013
nissparts: Hi All,

Thought I'd create a thread where we can share car knowledge based on experience or just plain benefit of information.

• The 2013 Honda accord will be the first accord with CVT transmission (similar to the Murano). This means the usual auto shifting feel will be missing and also a more expensive transmission. If you plan on buying this vehicle from an independent dealer, bear in mind you will have no warranty on the transmission if something goes wrong and note that CVTs are not repairable when damaged internally. I would strongly advice that a vehicle like this is only purchased from an accredited dealer
• The 2013 Rav 4 requires synthetic engine oil (0w 20 or 5w20) specifically and usage of any other engine oil grade voids the warranty and will damage the engine. Typically also, this means that if you buy one today, the earliest time you should be servicing it (oil change) is December 2014 or 7500miles
• If you must buy a Murano, avoid specially the 03-04 models with AWD. Apart from CVT issues, the transfer case fails prematurely starting with a leak. It is an expensive repair and just another reason to avoid the Murano.
• If you have an 05-12 Pathfinder or Xterra, go through this thread https://www.nairaland.com/991254/own-nissan-pathfinder-xterra-05-11
• The 03-07 Mazda 6 is a good looking car but has an extremely small turning radius which makes it annoying to drive especially in a city like Lagos. If you are a sharp driver, you will not like this

Cheers

I tought CVT started with 2008 honda accord?

I also tought it was not normal to feel your transmission(non CVT) shift through the gears as u accelarate,that it indicates a problem with the transmission

Are my toughts wrong? Especially the 2nd one?
Re: Did You Know? (Car Facts) by nissparts(m): 4:14pm On Dec 12, 2013
Your first thought is wrong.

Your second thought is correct and is a repetition somewhat of what I stated

"This means the usual auto shifting feel will be missing...."
Re: Did You Know? (Car Facts) by olumide4christ: 5:53pm On Dec 12, 2013
Nice thread, nissparts. Keep on the good work! We hope to learn more.
Re: Did You Know? (Car Facts) by dandollar1: 6:13pm On Dec 12, 2013
nissparts: Your first thought is wrong.

Your second thought is correct and is a repetition somewhat of what I stated

"This means the usual auto shifting feel will be missing...."

If the usual auto shifting feel will be missing from the 2013 edition, it then means it is normal to feel the shifts in honda before the 2013 edition that has CVT?
Re: Did You Know? (Car Facts) by Nobody: 6:32pm On Dec 12, 2013
dan_dollar: If the usual auto shifting feel will be missing from the 2013 edition, it then means it is normal to feel the shifts in honda before the 2013 edition that has CVT?
Yes, it is normal.

It is normal in any vehicle that has the normal automatic transmission.
Re: Did You Know? (Car Facts) by earthrealm(m): 2:43pm On Dec 13, 2013
do u know that 2001 to 2003 rv4 automatics have a gearbox/ecm fault from factory?

do u know that binding brake calipers is a common occurrence on the 4th gen 2003 to 2009 Toyota 4runner. Symptoms include excessive fuel consumption. very hot wheels after a short driving, warped caliper, shaking of steering when braking from speed...etc

2005 Nissan pathfinder and upwards have a bad gearbox fluid cooler and radiator combo...after sometime, the membrane separating the two fluids deteriorate, thereby allowing water n transmission fluid to mix..ruining ur gearbox grin
Re: Did You Know? (Car Facts) by grimadult(m): 6:36pm On Dec 13, 2013
Do u know,that the first Generation Acura TL,MDX has a faulty transmission from factory dat fails without warning between 50,000km-75,000. So if your buying any with a low mileage get ready for a transmission failure. And also do you know that changing CVT cups(shaft inner cups) in honda and acura while d transmission is hot or warm causes the transmission to fail.
Re: Did You Know? (Car Facts) by Dexmars(m): 1:46pm On Jan 05, 2014
Did you know that a timing chain job (supply and installation) on a nissan maxima/altima will take nothing less than N100k?
Re: Did You Know? (Car Facts) by nissparts(m): 4:05pm On Jan 10, 2014
Ive done it much cheaper
Re: Did You Know? (Car Facts) by nissparts(m): 9:51pm On Jan 10, 2014
Suspension facts

Over-inflated tires result in a bumpier, less comfortable ride.
If you go to a vulcanizer to fix a flat or gauge your tires and observe a day or 2 later what feels like bad shocks, check the PSI in the tire(s) that were inflated. This is especially so in cars with sport suspension

Difference between sport suspension models and others

Say you want to buy a nissan altima.
Say your favorite color is red.
Say you enjoy comfortable cushy rides that absorb (as much as possible) driving through potholes and rough roads.

Your favorite car dealer has a black altima SL, a blue altima S, and a red altima SE.
Naturally, you are inclined to picking the red SE but did you know that models like the altima SE, maxima SE, camry SE...etc have a stiffer suspension than their counterparts and this results in a rough ride that feels every pothole and bump on the road. Some stiffer than others. Also, the SE models would be fitted with V6 engines as standard. For an unaware driver, you may assume that the shocks are bad in an SE. It helps to know the differences between such models. In our scenario above, you would have to determine what is more important to you- The more powerful V6 engine, a comfortable ride, a sleeker look (most SE models look better)...etc

1 Like

Re: Did You Know? (Car Facts) by Carbaby007(m): 2:58pm On Jul 22, 2014
Please Nissan parts what is the major problem with the 2006 and 2007 Nissan maxima...I heard the 2007 comes with a cvt transmission,does dat make it a greater problem?
Re: Did You Know? (Car Facts) by nissparts(m): 3:09pm On Jul 22, 2014
No it does not.
As long as it was well maintained and you equip yourself by knowing as much as you can about the vehicle then nothing to worry about
Re: Did You Know? (Car Facts) by b2212(m): 4:00pm On Jul 29, 2014
Do you know that mitsubishi space wagon is a total no no because of its myriad faults like failed throttle body and fragile electronics. Have one that stopped working because the battery was removed with the key still in the ignition. Till now it won't work.
Re: Did You Know? (Car Facts) by shamecurls(m): 5:10pm On Jul 29, 2014
Tell me abut the know problems of 2004 honda pilot EX-L
Re: Did You Know? (Car Facts) by andresia(m): 5:49pm On Jul 29, 2014
Pls what are the notable advantages or disadvantages with acura TL 2002 model?
Re: Did You Know? (Car Facts) by pek(m): 8:20pm On Jul 30, 2014
b2212: Do you know that mitsubishi space wagon is a total no no because of its myriad faults like failed throttle body and fragile electronics. Have one that stopped working because the battery was removed with the key still in the ignition. Till now it won't work.
that's not enough to say it is a no no. Any good mechanic should know that you don't disconnect the battery if the key is still in the ignition. You need to check the brainbox and reprogram.
Re: Did You Know? (Car Facts) by b2212(m): 11:53am On Jul 31, 2014
pek: that's not enough to say it is a no no. Any good mechanic should know that you don't disconnect the battery if the key is still in the ignition. You need to check the brainbox and reprogram.
that is the problem. no body seems to know what to do about the programming. the guy that claims he knows is asking for 50k.
Re: Did You Know? (Car Facts) by nissparts(m): 10:02am On Sep 17, 2014
If you take your car to an average mechanic in Nigeria and a fault is identified which would require the replacement of a part, the following rules apply cheesy :

1. Do not ask the mech to check for the price of the part if you do not intend to authorize him to purchase it on your behalf
2. If you do item 1 and then turn around and go purchase the part yourself, do not have the same mech instal the part in question
3. If you do item 2, you stand a RISK of the part being installed negligently or out-rightly damaged (to teach you a lesson that it is not in your place to supply/identify original parts)

The rules supplied above as stated only apply to some technicians
Re: Did You Know? (Car Facts) by Nobody: 8:22pm On Sep 17, 2014
nissparts: Hi All,

Cheers

https://www.nairaland.com/1902262/why-should-use-5w-20-5w-30#26359844

On the thread linked, readers are asked to forget the numbers before the W because we don't live in wintry conditions shocked

Well, I guess mechanics are going to have a lot of rebuild jobs to do then grin
Re: Did You Know? (Car Facts) by kollinz003(m): 1:11pm On Apr 22, 2016
Hello Moderator, I would like your advice, please. I intend buying a car soon and I am considering a Nissan Maxima, 2004. I have seen one and intend to go view it over the weekend. Please kindly advice me on the Nissan Maxima and suitable service centers in Lagos, where I can service it, if I decide to buy one. Many thanks for this. Cheers

nissparts:
Hi All,

Cheers

(1) (Reply)

With Toyota, All Things Are Possible / Volkswagen golf4. 2002 model for sale SOLD SOLD SOLD / MC Oluomo Cars, House, Networth & Updates In 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.