Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,770 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:35 PM

What Makes An Action Morally Good (or Bad) ? - Divine Command Theory - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Makes An Action Morally Good (or Bad) ? - Divine Command Theory (7787 Views)

why anything God Does Or Commanded Morally Good; Can We Be Justified To Do Same / Alcohol: good Or Evil. What The Bible Really Says. / Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Makes An Action Morally Good (or Bad) ? - Divine Command Theory by huxley(m): 6:27pm On Jul 29, 2008
"Is an action morally good because God commands it, or does God command it because it is morally good?"

Reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divine_command_theory
Re: What Makes An Action Morally Good (or Bad) ? - Divine Command Theory by GODLOVES1: 8:24pm On Jul 29, 2008
I have one question:
If God does not Commend it the who decides what is morally bad are good? Who gave the morals?

I know what the answer from my stand point is, just want to know what you think.
Re: What Makes An Action Morally Good (or Bad) ? - Divine Command Theory by huxley(m): 10:01pm On Jul 29, 2008
huxley:

"Is an action morally good because God commands it, or does God command it because it is morally good?"

Reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divine_command_theory

Take for instance slavery. What is your moral opinion of slavery? What did god have to say about slavery?
Re: What Makes An Action Morally Good (or Bad) ? - Divine Command Theory by HCH3COO: 10:04pm On Jul 29, 2008
If you even need God to tell you that slavery (the likes that dominated America's past) is wrong, you need your brain replaced.
Re: What Makes An Action Morally Good (or Bad) ? - Divine Command Theory by huxley(m): 10:07pm On Jul 29, 2008
HCH3COO:

If you even need God to tell you that slavery (the likes that dominated America's past) is wrong, you need your brain replaced.

So there are some things which are wrong which god has not commanded them to be wrong? How do we know what such things are?
Re: What Makes An Action Morally Good (or Bad) ? - Divine Command Theory by HCH3COO: 10:11pm On Jul 29, 2008
I disagree, huxley. I know (believe) the bible has covered all the necessary bases.
To add on to that,
Irrespective of religion, people have their different priorities. Some expect the law to dictate the types of morals by which they live; others acquire their morals from people they see as their role models.
Re: What Makes An Action Morally Good (or Bad) ? - Divine Command Theory by huxley(m): 10:14pm On Jul 29, 2008
HCH3COO:

I disagree, huxley. I know (believe) the bible has covered all the necessary bases.
To add on to that,
Irrespective of religion, people have their different priorities. Some expect the law to dictate the types of morals by which they live; others acquire their morals from people they see as their role models.

Yep. But how do we know slavery is wrong. Where the hell did god command it as wrong?

If god did not command it as wrong, why does contemporary society defines it as morally wrong?
Re: What Makes An Action Morally Good (or Bad) ? - Divine Command Theory by HCH3COO: 10:18pm On Jul 29, 2008
If it's not defined in the bible as wrong (which it is), contemporary society has defined it as wrong because forced labor to them (to us) is wrong, killing is wrong - all of these are wrong for the simple reasons that they violate established laws.
Re: What Makes An Action Morally Good (or Bad) ? - Divine Command Theory by HCH3COO: 10:19pm On Jul 29, 2008
Basically, i'm taking into account that you don't believe in God. But that still should not prevent you from conforming to laws established by popular consensus which deem it wrong
Re: What Makes An Action Morally Good (or Bad) ? - Divine Command Theory by huxley(m): 10:21pm On Jul 29, 2008
HCH3COO:

If it's not defined in the bible as wrong (which it is), contemporary society has defined it as wrong because forced labor to them (to us) is wrong, killing is wrong - all of these are wrong for the simple reasons that they violate established laws.

Pardon me, but you have not answered my question. Where in the bible is it defined as wrong? If contemporary society defines it as wrong, how did contemporary society come up with the notion that it is wrong.

Is contemporary society capable of defining laws binding on us all, which god has not defined?
Re: What Makes An Action Morally Good (or Bad) ? - Divine Command Theory by huxley(m): 10:24pm On Jul 29, 2008
HCH3COO:

Basically, i'm taking into account that you don't believe in God. But that still should not prevent you from conforming to laws established by popular consensus which deem it wrong

How does it matter whether I believe in god or not?

In fact, you have made a very good point in your second statement. So is popular consensus capable of defining what is morally good/bad. If so why do we need god's commands?
Re: What Makes An Action Morally Good (or Bad) ? - Divine Command Theory by HCH3COO: 10:26pm On Jul 29, 2008
If contemporary society defines it as wrong, how did contemporary society come up with the notion that it is wrong.

Is contemporary society capable of defining laws binding on us all, which god has not defined?
Ask contemporary society how they are able to define it as wrong.  Is it not comprised of people who do and don't believe in the concept of God?  They must know something you don't.  Being in the right state of mind and believing in God are not necessarily synonymous, but with an unstained mindframe you should be able to distinguish between right and wrong, good or evil.  What say you about conscience?
Re: What Makes An Action Morally Good (or Bad) ? - Divine Command Theory by huxley(m): 10:29pm On Jul 29, 2008
HCH3COO:

Ask contemporary society how they are able to define it as wrong. Is it not comprised of people who do and don't believe in the concept of God? They must know something you don't. Being in the right state of mind and believing in God are not necessarily synonymous, but with an unstained mindframe you should be able to distinguish between right and wrong, good or evil. What say you about conscience?

If we can defined what is right/wrong, then god is redundant, isn't it? Society is capable of defining its own moral codes without appeal to a supernatural being.
Re: What Makes An Action Morally Good (or Bad) ? - Divine Command Theory by HCH3COO: 10:29pm On Jul 29, 2008
How does it matter whether I believe in god or not?

In fact, you have made a very good point in your second statement.  So is popular consensus capable of defining what is morally good/bad. If so why do we need god's commands?
The funny thing, popular consensus has also allowed contemporary society to give us the freedom to practice whichever religion we choose.   Many have chosen to choose God as their guiding light to salvation, meaning he is needed by them for their prosperity.  To they who choose him, he is needed.
Re: What Makes An Action Morally Good (or Bad) ? - Divine Command Theory by HCH3COO: 10:31pm On Jul 29, 2008
If we can defined what is right/wrong, the god is redundant, isn't it? Society is capable of defining its own moral codes without appeal to a supernatural being.
To some he is redundant, to a lot more he is compulsory - make your choose cheesy . To me he is not redundant because he is the means by which many choose what directs them.
Re: What Makes An Action Morally Good (or Bad) ? - Divine Command Theory by huxley(m): 10:34pm On Jul 29, 2008
So how would society found its morals. Should we base them on the holy books or should we arrive at them through a popular societal consensus? What if the popular consensus conflicts with god's commands?
Re: What Makes An Action Morally Good (or Bad) ? - Divine Command Theory by HCH3COO: 10:35pm On Jul 29, 2008
Also, since you asked about bible verses condemning slavery.  Even if slavery is not directly condemned in the bible, I am sure the children of God were/are warned to do unto others as is done onto them.  If they can't take the punishment but continue to dish it out, they are already in violation of that warning.
- I will urge you to interprete the passage I have given as is related to slavery, which is what you asked about.  Don't take it out of context.
Re: What Makes An Action Morally Good (or Bad) ? - Divine Command Theory by HCH3COO: 10:36pm On Jul 29, 2008
huxley:

So how would society found its morals. Should we base them on the holy books or should we arrive at them through a popular societal consensus? What if the popular consensus conflicts with god's commands?

That is a question of opinion. In my opinion, let the society where you reside dictate the moral codes that govern their society. If they choose to live by God's standards honor to them. wink
Re: What Makes An Action Morally Good (or Bad) ? - Divine Command Theory by huxley(m): 10:40pm On Jul 29, 2008
HCH3COO:

That is a question of opinion. In my opinion, let the society where you reside dictate the moral codes that govern their society. If they choose to live by God's standards honor to them. wink

Then in that case, there are no absolute god-ordained morals. Morals are therefore subjective.

HCH3COO:

Also, since you asked about bible verses condemning slavery. Even if slavery is not directly condemned in the bible, I am sure the children of God were/are warned to do unto others as is done onto them. If they can't take the punishment but continue to dish it out, they are already in violation of that warning.
- I will urge you to interprete the passage I have given as is related to slavery, which is what you asked about. Don't take it out of context.

What sort of law systems would that be that commands one, and in another breath commands the opposite?
Re: What Makes An Action Morally Good (or Bad) ? - Divine Command Theory by huxley(m): 10:45pm On Jul 29, 2008
Consider the following two commands, separated by only a few hundreds of words in the bible;

Exodus 20: 13 Thou shalt not kill.

Exodus 21: 17 And he that curseth his father, or his mother, shall surely be put to death.

Which one of these should one observe and why? How do we decide which one take precedent over the other?
Re: What Makes An Action Morally Good (or Bad) ? - Divine Command Theory by HCH3COO: 10:45pm On Jul 29, 2008
Morals to each person is subjective depending on his belief system.  There are characteristics (seen as morals) defined by God by which we live our lives. We have been given the freewill by God to decide what we do.  If we follow his teachings we will not go wrong, if we decide to deviate we put ourselves in danger of not inheriting the kingdom of God.
Re: What Makes An Action Morally Good (or Bad) ? - Divine Command Theory by huxley(m): 10:49pm On Jul 29, 2008
HCH3COO:

Morals to each person is subjective depending on his belief system. There are characteristics (seen as morals) defined by God by which we live our lives. We have been given the freewill by God to decide what we do. If we follow his teachings we will not go wrong, if we decide to deviate we put ourselves in danger of not inheriting the kingdom of God.

But what if I decide to trade in humans, just like the Israelite did, would that be disobeying god's will?
Re: What Makes An Action Morally Good (or Bad) ? - Divine Command Theory by HCH3COO: 10:49pm On Jul 29, 2008
As for the shou shalt not kill verse.
- The important idea to take away from the bible is, there are times you interprete it metaphorically or should I just say figuratively, and there are times you interprete it literally.  Comparing the 10 commandments of God to another passage taken out of context is like comparing apples to oranges.  The interpretation of the bible is for the spiritual-minded.  That is why we have pastors/preachers/etc. . . spreading the word of God, teaching us right from wrong.
Re: What Makes An Action Morally Good (or Bad) ? - Divine Command Theory by HCH3COO: 10:50pm On Jul 29, 2008
But what if I decide to trade in humans, just like the Israelite did, would that be disobeying god's will?
The decision is not solely yours. Another human being is being forced to give up his/her liberty for your trading benefits.
Re: What Makes An Action Morally Good (or Bad) ? - Divine Command Theory by huxley(m): 10:54pm On Jul 29, 2008
HCH3COO:

The decision is not solely yours. Another human being is being forced to give up his/her liberty for your trading benefits.

So I would not have violated one of god's laws then, would i?

HCH3COO:

As for the shou shalt not kill verse.
- The important idea to take away from the bible is, there are times you interprete it metaphorically or should I just say figuratively, and there are times you interprete it literally. Comparing the 10 commandments of God to another passage taken out of context is like comparing apples to oranges. The interpretation of the bible is for the spiritual-minded. That is why we have pastors/preachers/etc. . . spreading the word of God, teaching us right from wrong.

How do we know which bits to take literally and which to take metaphorically/figuratively.
Re: What Makes An Action Morally Good (or Bad) ? - Divine Command Theory by HCH3COO: 10:56pm On Jul 29, 2008
No you would not have vilated one of "god"'s laws but yes you would have violated one of "G"od's laws. 

- we christians have this thing about distinguishing between god (idolatry) and God, so pardon me for nitpicking on the G.
Re: What Makes An Action Morally Good (or Bad) ? - Divine Command Theory by huxley(m): 10:57pm On Jul 29, 2008
HCH3COO:

No you would not have vilated one of "god"'s laws but yes you would have violated one of "G"od's laws.

- we christians have this thing about distinguishing between god (idolatry) and God, so pardon me for nitpicking on the G.

Ok, which one of God's law?
Re: What Makes An Action Morally Good (or Bad) ? - Divine Command Theory by HCH3COO: 10:58pm On Jul 29, 2008
Knowing which bit to take figuratively or literally is not for the faint of heart or the ordinary man.  The chosen men of God, or God himself, will point you in the right direction.
Re: What Makes An Action Morally Good (or Bad) ? - Divine Command Theory by HCH3COO: 10:59pm On Jul 29, 2008
Which one of God's laws? Well, remember I mentioned doing unto others as you want done unto you? That's in jeopardy here isn't it?
Re: What Makes An Action Morally Good (or Bad) ? - Divine Command Theory by huxley(m): 11:02pm On Jul 29, 2008
HCH3COO:

Which one of God's laws? Well, remember I mentioned doing unto others as you want done unto you? That's in jeopardy here isn't it?

Yes, but how come in spite of this god was still commanding his people about taking others as slaves. If it was good for them then, why should it not be good for me now?
Re: What Makes An Action Morally Good (or Bad) ? - Divine Command Theory by HCH3COO: 11:03pm On Jul 29, 2008
Booooo . .
I have to go now.  Talk later  cool

To answer your last question, times have changed and you are not God. Asides from that, you were not commanded by God to take others as slaves. Cheers!
Re: What Makes An Action Morally Good (or Bad) ? - Divine Command Theory by huxley(m): 11:05pm On Jul 29, 2008
HCH3COO:

Booooo . .
I have to go now. Talk later cool

To answer your last question, times have changed and you are not God. Asides from that, you were not commanded by God to take others as slaves. Cheers!

Was good chatting with you. Have a goodday.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

14 Bible Verses That Indicate Jesus Is Not God / The Birth Of Christ Is More Important Than His Resurrection? / If Peter Was The First Pope.......................?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.