Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,832 members, 7,817,432 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:15 PM

Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? (16591 Views)

Can Hellfire Be Morally Justified? / why anything God Does Or Commanded Morally Good; Can We Be Justified To Do Same / What Makes An Action Morally Good (or Bad) ? - Divine Command Theory (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by logicboy: 3:34pm On Jun 10, 2012
How stupid can people get when they claim that Nigeria is more morally upright than the USA. I noticed this opinion when reading comments from the Creflo Dollar assault case. They were saying that American society is not good for bringing up children. The scientists/Bill Gates/Steve Jobs/religious leaders that are from America, were they not children before becoming adults?

https://www.nairaland.com/959135/creflo-dollar-arrested-choking-daughter

Morality is subjective. The simple answer is that both countries are morally corrupt and we all are too by various standards. Nigeria is number 1 in corruption while America is number 1 in xenophobic imperialism.

Let it be clear that if you think one country is more morally upright than the other for children, you are a biased fool judging on your own parenting style when there are other parenting styles that work as well, if not better than yours.

8 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by logicboy: 8:46pm On Jun 10, 2012
Is Nigeria more morally upright?

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:48pm On Jun 10, 2012
i believe it is. not everything is bad about this nation. The USA has no morals at all.

i am talking about the common man.

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by logicboy: 8:54pm On Jun 10, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
i believe it is. not everything is bad about this nation. The USA has no morals at all.

Wrong. Both countries are morally bad. Nobody can judge which is better. Morality is subjective.

Naija immorality;
-Chiefs having sex with 15-16 year old girls and nobody challenges them
-Polygamy partly legal
-Child labour

USA
-Teens exposed to sexual adverts and TV
-Racism inherent in the society

Both countries have their own problems

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:01pm On Jun 10, 2012
logicboy:

Wrong. Both countries are morally bad. Nobody can judge which is better. Morality is subjective.

Naija immorality;
-Polygamy partly legal
-Child labour

USA

Wrong. The Chiefs being intimate bit is very rare and occurs only in some isolated cases. immoral nonetheless, but there are very few Chiefs to start with and majority are not like that.

Polygamy, mostly in northern areas. yet i have noticed that very few actually do it. also the USA has plygamy (have ou heard of those mormon christian men having 100 wives)

Child Labour is not a moral issue. it is more of a poverty issue. they have no choice or else they go hungry and die.

also as i mentioned, i was not referring to the governing bodies. I was referring to the common man, especially the villagers who are very simple and constitute the majority of Nigerian populace.

Overall morality, i would say that Nigeria fares better, though i cannot say anything about the long term.

4 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by logicboy: 9:06pm On Jun 10, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

Wrong. The Chiefs being intimate bit is very rare and occurs only in some isolated cases. immoral nonetheless, but there are very few Chiefs to start with and majority are not like that.

Polygamy, mostly in northern areas. yet i have noticed that very few actually do it. also the USA has plygamy (have ou heard of those mormon christian men having 100 wives)

Child Labour is not a moral issue. it is more of a poverty issue. they have no choice or else they go hungry and die.

also as i mentioned, i was not referring to the governing bodies. I was referring to the common man, especially the villagers who are very simple and constitute the majority of Nigerian populace.

Overall morality, i would say that Nigeria fares better, though i cannot say anything about the long term.

Do you think that I am one of those "aje butters" that dont know what happens in villages? That is where grandpa will sleep with 16 year old girl by promising her a trip to Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:15pm On Jun 10, 2012
logicboy:

Do you think that I am one of those "aje butters" that dont know what happens in villages? That is where grandpa will sleep with 16 year old girl by promising her a trip to Lagos.

no that is just generalization. such things are unheard of in many villages. it seems you have never really been in the country. Nigerians are good at exaggeration. you take one or two isolated cases and blow it disproportionately. .

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by logicboy: 9:17pm On Jun 10, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

no that is just generalization. such things are unheard of in many villages. it seems you have never really been in the country.

This guy, you are funny. This is what happens in the villages. I go to Naija very often.

Is it not in the village where one woman will have 10 children or one man will have 3 wives?
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:22pm On Jun 10, 2012
logicboy:

This guy, you are funny. This is what happens in the villages. I go to Naija very often.

Is it not in the village where one woman will have 10 children or one man will have 3 wives?

yes it is the village where one wife will have 10 children, but it is NOT the village where one man will have 3 wives. Wives are very expensive especially in Northern villages, even though in many cases Polygamy is allowed. but the TRUTH is that it is very rarely practiced.

as for having many children, it is done because children in the village have very low mortality due to poverty and disease, so they die young. according to their mentality, if you have many children, atleast some will survive and be able to work for the family and the girls will help gain a suitable dowry.
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by logicboy: 9:24pm On Jun 10, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

yes it is the village where one wife will have 10 children, but it is NOT the village where one man will have 3 wives. Wives are very expensive especially in Northern villages, even though in many cases Polygamy is allowed. but the TRUTH is that it is very rarely practiced.

as for having many children, it is done because children in the village have very low mortality due to poverty and disease, so they die young. according to their mentality, if you have many children, atleast some will survive and be able to work for the family and the girls will help gain a suitable dowry.

Ehem, I am from the south south. The North is another palava
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:26pm On Jun 10, 2012
logicboy:

Ehem, I am from the south south. The North is another palava

poverty is one issue that we all share, so it doesnt matter even if you are from the MOon, because i bet even the aliens are poor or else they would have invaded us by now and rid us of all this misery. .
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by ijawkid(m): 9:45pm On Jun 10, 2012
They are both immoral to the core.......

I dnt see any country more moral or immoral than the other.......

D whole world is crazy......
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by logicboy: 9:47pm On Jun 10, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

poverty is one issue that we all share, so it doesnt matter even if you are from the MOon, because i bet even the aliens are poor or else they would have invaded us by now and rid us of all this misery. .

Haha funny man!
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by logicboy: 9:47pm On Jun 10, 2012
ijawkid: They are both immoral to the core.......

I dnt see any country more moral or immoral than the other.......

D whole world is crazy......

Agreed
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by Zodiac61(m): 10:41pm On Jun 10, 2012
I am not sure that any one country can be said to be moral or immoral.
Morality is a human thing. Our problem is that we assume that we are better than the next man.
The first question one has to ask is -"what is moral?"
I am sure that you will be surprised with the answers you get.
Hint - neither the bible nor the koran can answer this question.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by logicboy: 10:51pm On Jun 10, 2012
Zodiac61: I am not sure that any one country can be said to be moral or immoral.
Morality is a human thing. Our problem is that we assume that we are better than the next man.

Totally agree bro.
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by MrAnony1(m): 11:04pm On Jun 10, 2012
logicboy:

Naija immorality;
-Polygamy partly legal
-Child labour

USA

Lol, according to you morality is subjective, How then can any of the things you mentioned be immoral since they are right to those who practice them?
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by buzugee(m): 11:06pm On Jun 10, 2012
nigeria is not morally better but majority of nigerian indigenes have been put to sleep. spiritual sleep, that is. they are in hades. walking zombies, if you will.
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by MrAnony1(m): 11:12pm On Jun 10, 2012
Zodiac61: I am not sure that any one country can be said to be moral or immoral.

If morality truly differs from one man to another as you say, how can we have any meaningful objective laws i.e how can there be any justice? What is the validity of any legal system?
I have to disagree with you. I make bold to say that morality is objective: Good and bad are clear cut to pretty much everyone. Else we cannot possibly have judge anyone o have any meaningful rules or community.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by logicboy: 11:31pm On Jun 10, 2012
Mr_Anony:

If morality truly differs from one man to another as you say, how can we have any meaningful objective laws i.e how can there be any justice? What is the validity of any legal system?
I have to disagree with you. I make bold to say that morality is objective: Good and bad are clear cut to pretty much everyone. Else we cannot possibly have judge anyone o have any meaningful rules or community.

You have come again with your pseudo-logical arguments.

Simple question. Are all religions against gays?
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by logicboy: 11:33pm On Jun 10, 2012
buzugee: nigeria is not morally better but majority of nigerian indigenes have been put to sleep. spiritual sleep, that is. they are in hades. walking zombies, if you will.

Hahaha.....Buzugee. where would we be without your insight!
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by MrAnony1(m): 11:45pm On Jun 10, 2012
logicboy:

You have come again with your pseudo-logical arguments.

Simple question. Are all religions against gays?

lol, follow my arguments step by step na. Why are we jumping to religions already?

Anyway I'll play along. Answer: Not all religions are against gays
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by buzugee(m): 11:46pm On Jun 10, 2012
logicboy:

Hahaha.....Buzugee. where would we be without your insight!
well i do what i do Monsieur Logicboy. I aint but a mouthpiece to the almighty ancient one, Yah. A parrot, if you will grin
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by logicboy: 11:58pm On Jun 10, 2012
Mr_Anony:

lol, follow my arguments step by step na. Why are we jumping to religions already?

Anyway I'll play along. Answer: Not all religions are against gays

Then morality is subjective
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by Zodiac61(m): 12:08am On Jun 11, 2012
Mr_Anony:

You get me wrong. I am not arguing against objective morals.
However, in my experience everybody seems to to assume that they are more moral than the next man.
This, IMHO, is because when we start talking about morality, we assume that we are all starting from the same place. We are not.
Before we can have a meaningful discussion on morality, we need to define exactly what we mean.
I, for instance, would reject any attempt to define morality in terms of the bible or the koran or the gita.
Should there be one universal objective set of morals? Yes, there should.
Is there one universal objective set of moral acceptable to all? I am afraid that the jury is out on that.
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by MrAnony1(m): 12:22am On Jun 11, 2012
logicboy:

Then morality is subjective

And how exactly does this conclusion follow from "Not all religions are against gays"??
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by logicboy: 12:24am On Jun 11, 2012
Mr_Anony:

And how exactly does this conclusion follow from "Not all religions are against gays"??

Who is right then?

Gay is immoral, gay is not immoral?

Subjective, innit?
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by MrAnony1(m): 12:41am On Jun 11, 2012
Zodiac61:

You get me wrong. I am not arguing against objective morals.
However, in my experience everybody seems to to assume that they are more moral than the next man.
This, IMHO, is because when we start talking about morality, we assume that we are all starting from the same place. We are not.
Before we can have a meaningful discussion on morality, we need to define exactly what we mean.
I, for instance, would reject any attempt to define morality in terms of the bible or the koran or the gita.
Should there be one universal objective set of morals? Yes, there should.
Is there one universal objective set of moral acceptable to all? I am afraid that the jury is out on that.

Hmm at least you seem to agree that there are some things that a definitely wrong and other things that are definitely good. for instance among other things, murder is morally wrong no matter what and mercy is morally right no matter what. Please object if you don't agree.
Now we come to the greyer areas, at which point i could say that man's conscience is his own judge however since this judge doesn't physically punish man other than make him feel a little guilty, man can and does flaunt the rules of his conscience and with practice, he can numb it.
I will submit that conscience is quite universal and that is why we all know what good and evil are when we see them hence we have some objectivity and we can make laws that are fair.
The problem is no man really knows another's conscience except his own hence we are led to believe that they are wildly dissimilar when in fact our consciences are very much alike - or at least during the early stages of our life. Do you agree?
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by MrAnony1(m): 12:44am On Jun 11, 2012
logicboy:

Who is right then?

Gay is immoral, gay is not immoral?

Subjective, innit?

Lol, since when did you start saying "innit"? (London is creeping into you small small)
You are assuming that all religions are valid and/or that morality can be defined by a set of rules external to the person.
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by logicboy: 8:28am On Jun 11, 2012
Mr_Anony:

Lol, since when did you start saying "innit"? (London is creeping into you small small)
You are assuming that all religions are valid and/or that morality can be defined by a set of rules external to the person.

Lol......escaping the debate? What makes your eligion more valid than others? Your God was not the first god to appear nor the second or the third.

If you want to go internal, lets look at the gays themselves. To most of them, they are not dong anything immoral, to you, they are. Who is right?
Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by 2good(m): 9:02am On Jun 11, 2012
Mr_Anony:

Do you know that thesame legal system you talk about varies from country to country? I'll give you some examples here:
1. In Iran it is punishable by death to say there is no God.
2. Its is also a crime punishable by death for a Muslim to convert to Christianity.
3. In the Netherlands, prostitution is legal.
4. Smoking of marijuana is also legal in the Netherlands.
5. Homosexuality is Legal in many European countries including the Netherlands while it's a punishable offence in Nigeria.
6. In the US, some states allows homosexuality while some-others don't.
7. In Saudi Arabia women are not allowed to drive a car.
8. In Saudi Arabia a woman must always cover her hair in the public whether she's a Muslim, an Arab or a Westerner. it is the law.
9. In Oman, boys and girls are not allowed to talk and socialize in the public. It is strictly against the law but that is not a problem in Nigeria.

You can see that the cultural and religious believes of a people, influences their law in so many ways. So morality is subjective.

4 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Morally Better Than U.S? by holahabib: 9:46am On Jun 11, 2012
NO!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

5 Benefits Of Praying In Tongues / Testimony Of A Nairalander Who Got Healed Of Bed Wetting At 19 / My Best Friend Is Crazy About TB Joshua, Advise Please

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.