Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,793 members, 7,817,290 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:38 AM

What Skills Should I Have Gained At 17 Years Old? Advice Needed Pls.. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Skills Should I Have Gained At 17 Years Old? Advice Needed Pls.. (905 Views)

83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) / MFM Pastor Batters Wife Of 17 Years For Opting Out Of Marriage (photos) / See what Watching Parents Have Sex, Made This 5 Years Old Calabar Girl Do (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Skills Should I Have Gained At 17 Years Old? Advice Needed Pls.. by Enigmaticicon(m): 12:45pm On Dec 13, 2013
As a teenager crossing towards maturity, i get curious about what i should have known before facing maturity [independence]...
Currently, i am only good with computers..
Is this enough for my age? or i'm still lacking behind?
Pls i need your advice..Thanks
Re: What Skills Should I Have Gained At 17 Years Old? Advice Needed Pls.. by Nobody: 1:05pm On Dec 13, 2013
well thats not a bad start!!

1 Like

Re: What Skills Should I Have Gained At 17 Years Old? Advice Needed Pls.. by Enigmaticicon(m): 1:15pm On Dec 13, 2013
Fabulousuzo: well thats not a bad start!!
Really? Thanks..
Re: What Skills Should I Have Gained At 17 Years Old? Advice Needed Pls.. by EfemenaXY: 2:46pm On Dec 13, 2013
Enigmatic icon: As a teenager crossing towards maturity, i get curious about what i should have known before facing maturity [independence]...

You should have acquired the basic survival skills to cope with being on your own.

~ Cooking: Do you know how to cook? Or know how to go food shopping at the market (I'm assuming you're based in Naija) and haggle for cheaper prices / a good deal? If not get your mum and sister to teach you.

~ Home Management: Do you know how to clean up after yourself and run a tidy home? Or do your laundry? If not, then better learn that bit too.

~ Finance: Very important. Learning how to manage your finances will go a long way to helping you live a fulfilled and possibly, debt-free life. Learn to live within your means and not get carried away with spending what you haven't really got. The mistake many folks make is not realising that money should be respected.
Re: What Skills Should I Have Gained At 17 Years Old? Advice Needed Pls.. by Nobody: 5:33pm On Dec 13, 2013
Previous posters have said it all
Re: What Skills Should I Have Gained At 17 Years Old? Advice Needed Pls.. by Enigmaticicon(m): 11:41pm On Dec 13, 2013
My only problem is raising money for now..
Re: What Skills Should I Have Gained At 17 Years Old? Advice Needed Pls.. by ireneidiva(f): 5:30am On Dec 14, 2013
Get involved in a sport! Anything but football!
Re: What Skills Should I Have Gained At 17 Years Old? Advice Needed Pls.. by baralatie(m): 8:11am On Dec 14, 2013
Enigmatic icon: My only problem is raising money for now..
dont tel me u want to buy a toyota prado jeep
Re: What Skills Should I Have Gained At 17 Years Old? Advice Needed Pls.. by Enigmaticicon(m): 10:25am On Dec 14, 2013
baralatie:
dont tel me u want to buy a toyota prado jeep
Hahaha..What if i say i want to?
Re: What Skills Should I Have Gained At 17 Years Old? Advice Needed Pls.. by Enigmaticicon(m): 10:26am On Dec 14, 2013
ireneidiva: Get involved in a sport! Anything but football!
I do that for fun..Facing my studies for now..
Re: What Skills Should I Have Gained At 17 Years Old? Advice Needed Pls.. by Nobody: 7:04am On Dec 15, 2013
Enigmatic icon: As a teenager crossing towards maturity, i get curious about what i should have known before facing maturity [independence]...

Kudos for asking this question.

Do you have a job? Start gaining some work experience, if you haven't started already. Pick up another language, volunteer and start build your resume now. Learn to save your money and spend wisely. Be a good public speaker/improve your public speaking skills.

What're your aspirations?
Re: What Skills Should I Have Gained At 17 Years Old? Advice Needed Pls.. by Enigmaticicon(m): 7:50am On Dec 15, 2013
Yield:

Kudos for asking this question.

Do you have a job? Start gaining some work experience, if you haven't started already. Pick up another language, volunteer and start build your resume now. Learn to save your money and spend wisely. Be a good public speaker/improve your public speaking skills.

What're your aspirations?
Speaking in public is my thingy..Currently, i'm pursuing a course in school so i don't really know the jobs i could apply for..
Could you make suggestions for me?
Is it possible that i school and work at thesame time?
Re: What Skills Should I Have Gained At 17 Years Old? Advice Needed Pls.. by Nobody: 10:00am On Dec 15, 2013
Enigmatic icon: Speaking in public is my thingy..Currently, i'm pursuing a course in school so i don't really know the jobs i could apply for..
Could you make suggestions for me?
Is it possible that i school and work at thesame time?
You like public speaking, huh? That's fantastic! Not many people are thrilled about public speaking. It's a great skill to have. It's super cool to hear that it's "your thingy". Sure, I will. You can let me know what course you're studying. You can school and work part time. It's doable, you just have to manage your time well. Where are you located (country)?
Re: What Skills Should I Have Gained At 17 Years Old? Advice Needed Pls.. by Enigmaticicon(m): 11:46am On Dec 15, 2013
Yield: You like public speaking, huh? That's fantastic! Not many people are thrilled about public speaking. It's a great skill to have. It's super cool to hear that it's "your thingy". Sure, I will. You can let me know what course you're studying. You can school and work part time. It's doable, you just have to manage your time well. Where are you located (country)?
I'm currently at Bayelsa..Studying Petrochemical engineering..A newbie though..
Re: What Skills Should I Have Gained At 17 Years Old? Advice Needed Pls.. by Nobody: 5:30pm On Dec 15, 2013
Enigmatic icon: I'm currently at Bayelsa..Studying Petrochemical engineering..A newbie though..
Ah, you're a Freshman (first-year student). I figured. Petroleum Engineering's an excellent field. You would be sought after by Oil and Gas industries. I'm not in Nigeria so I don't know how easy/hard it would be for you to get a job there, but it's a hot commodity here and you will get a job with just a Bachelors alone, making good $. Masters, of course, is even better! There is another thread in this section about one guy in Nigeria who has been looking for a job since '09 in Engineering. He has a Masters too and finally got one this year, so I guess it might be different/harder to find a job there. Focus on your books and get good grades. I know you will. At 17, you're asking such great questions on how to better yourself. Keep it up. I'm proud of you.
Re: What Skills Should I Have Gained At 17 Years Old? Advice Needed Pls.. by Enigmaticicon(m): 6:31pm On Dec 15, 2013
@Yield..I must say a big thanks to you..For your advices and fascinating comments..
I guess the misery of your fluency and Un-lippy attitude has been revealed to me..
I'd love some advice and a little counselling from you for i have some challenges currently.
Right now i'm ready to follow your posts for i sense someone with such wisdom..
Permission to email you before i make any move..Its your choice..
Thanks anyway...
Re: What Skills Should I Have Gained At 17 Years Old? Advice Needed Pls.. by baby124: 7:06pm On Dec 15, 2013
Anything you can do with your hands that can bring in money. Baking, catering, selling, sewing, hair making and other things you enjoy. The thing is when you are skilled with your hands you can hardly go hungry. Arts and crafts in your leisure time will also work. It makes you independent, focused, a planner and a hard worker. Having sales experience helps you with being able to sell yourself and ideas in any situation. It is an annoying skill but very productive and helpful in many ways. Especially in the job market
Re: What Skills Should I Have Gained At 17 Years Old? Advice Needed Pls.. by Nobody: 7:11pm On Dec 15, 2013
Enigmatic icon: @Yield..I must say a big thanks to you..For your advices and fascinating comments..
I guess the misery of your fluency and Un-lippy attitude has been revealed to me..
I'd love some advice and a little counselling from you for i have some challenges currently.
Right now i'm ready to follow your posts for i sense someone with such wisdom..
Permission to email you before i make any move..Its your choice..
Thanks anyway...
No problem; anytime. Sure, you are free to email me. I will be glad to help/offer advice/walk you through any questions you have. Cheers.
Re: What Skills Should I Have Gained At 17 Years Old? Advice Needed Pls.. by Enigmaticicon(m): 7:17pm On Dec 15, 2013
Yield:
No problem; anytime. Sure, you are free to email me. I will be glad to help/offer advice/walk you through any questions you have. Cheers.
Lol..Funny kinda..Elated#
Re: What Skills Should I Have Gained At 17 Years Old? Advice Needed Pls.. by iamjean(m): 10:49pm On Dec 15, 2013
I was just as you are at 17,freaking intelligent ,sorry to say this, but nigeria kept limiting me, fustrating me, pushing me to have a brain drain, i just have on thing to tell you keep up the struggle lipsrsealed
Re: What Skills Should I Have Gained At 17 Years Old? Advice Needed Pls.. by Enigmaticicon(m): 6:56am On Dec 16, 2013
@Baby_123....I've had several opportunities to learn something with my hands..Take for example; Repairing phones..It wasn't my fault that i couldn't get on with it..I was being restricted as at then..I also had a chance to learn howta make hair..A little knowledge though but i never took it seriously- I took it as a lady's thingy..
Re: What Skills Should I Have Gained At 17 Years Old? Advice Needed Pls.. by Enigmaticicon(m): 6:57am On Dec 16, 2013
iamjean: I was just as you are at 17,freaking intelligent ,sorry to say this, but nigeria kept limiting me, fustrating me, pushing me to have a brain drain, i just have on thing to tell you keep up the struggle lipsrsealed
A brain drain? What's that?

(1) (Reply)

. / Should Children Interfere In Parent Matters? / Fela Durotoye Father Died Because Of An Extra-marital Affairs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.