Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,067 members, 7,953,259 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 01:11 PM

Being Loving And Nurturing. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Being Loving And Nurturing. (708 Views)

How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person / 21 Ways That Will Make Your Husband Keep Loving Youmore And More. / A Tribute To My Loving And Capable Dad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Being Loving And Nurturing. by greatgod2012(f): 2:01am On Dec 14, 2013
BEING LOVING AND NURTURING.

The Family: A Proclamation to the Worldstates:"Parents have a sacred duty to rear their children in loveandrighteousness"(¶ 6).
It's no accident that the Proclamation lists"love"first among parenting duties-nurturinglove is the most important characteristic of good parenting. It's so important that researchers sometimes call it the"super-factor"of parenting. Goodnurturingmakes children feel lovedandcherished,andresearchers have found that without that feeling, there's little else parents can do to make up for it.
Urie Bronfenbrenner, a renowned expert on child development, says every child needs parents who are crazy about him or her-an"irrational relationship."Children are wired to"fall in love"with their parents,andthey deserve parents who fall in love back.
Beyond the obvious benefits ofnurturinglove, research shows thatlovingandnurturingparenting is linked to better child behavior at all ages.Nurturingparents build strong bonds with their children, providing them with a sense of security that helps them grow into confidentandlovingpeople.
How can you be a morelovingandnurturingparent? Here are some ideas:
Learn your child's love language. Each person feels love in a different way. A wise parent carefully studies how a child likes to receive love,andthen sends love in that way often. Without this care, actions that a parent might think arelovingcan be perceived as unloving. For example, one mother came home from a long day at work, met her little boy at the front door, ruffled his hair, told him"I love you!"andwalked to her room. He followed herandreplied,"Mommy, I don't want you to love me, I want you to play catch with me!"
In another example, a father invited his teenaged son to hunt big game in Montana. The father thought the expedition together would be a great way to spend time with his sonandshow his love. But what the son really wanted from his father was less dramatic - he just wanted his dad to go with him occasionally to a nearby reservoirandwatch the ducks take off.

How can parents learn their child's love language? One way, according to parent educator Wally Goddard at the University of Arkansas, is simply to notice ways you've already shown love that your child asks for more of. One father says his children love their outings with him one at a time. They frequently ask,"When are we going on our one-on-one?"His youngest daughter is emphatic about wanting to go swimming for their time together. By honoring her request, he shows his love for her in one of the ways she can best receive it.
You can also learn about your child's love language by noticing how she or he shows love, according to Goddard. Children often show love in the way they like to receive it. Or you might try recalling when you felt especially loved by someoneandidentify what that person did, then treat your child similarly.
You can also take the direct approach-ask your children what you do or say that helps them feel loved. Answers might include hugs, bedtime stories, one-on-one outings, midnight pancakesandconversation, playing a game together, or a special gift.
Have I told you lately… Keep a record of yourlovingactions toward your child. Write his or her name at the top of a 3x5 card, then write the following questionsandanswer them:
What have I done lately that really helped Katy feel loved?
How does Katy prefer to receive messages of love?
What are some different ways I can send messages that communicate love to Katy in ways she can best feel it?
What will I do this week to show Katy my love?
Speak kindly to your children. Compliment their good behavior. Say"please"and"thank you."Don't say anything demeaning or sarcastic. Even good-humored sarcasm is easily misunderstood by childrenandcan result in unintended hurt feelings. Instead of saying"Can't you leave the dog alone?"say,"Please leave the dog alone."Instead of saying,"Will you get out of my way?"say,"Excuse me, I need to get by."

2 Likes

Re: Being Loving And Nurturing. by greatgod2012(f): 2:02am On Dec 14, 2013
CONTINUATION

Express appreciation. Tell your children how much you appreciate them. Draw attention to their talentsandgood behaviors:"The table looks great! Thank you for setting it so nicely."Or"I can always count on you to help me out. Thanks."
Write love notes. Write short notes of loveandencouragement. Slip them into your children's lunchboxes or backpacks. Examples include:
Thanks for helping your sister clean up her room.
That was a good idea you had for our family vacation.
You're special to me.
Will you come with me to the store when you get home from school? I enjoy having you with me.
Remember the power of touch. Don't hesitate to give your child alovinghug, comforting hand-squeeze, or congratulatory pat on the back.
Be a friend. Spend time playing with your childrenanddoing things with them that they enjoy. If you need to, schedule time with your children in your planner:"8 pm: Read stories with Rachel,""2 pm: Go biking with John."
Declare a love week. Have everyone in your family write down (or draw) what makes them feel loved. Maybe your first-grader feels loved when you read to him. Maybe your teenage daughter feels loved when you go with her to the library. Post the ideas in the house where everyone will see them. Then, every day for the next week, encourage each family member to do something for another family member that helps them feel loved. Even very small efforts can yield big results.
Written by Megan Northrup, Research Assistant,andedited by Stephen F. Duncan, Professor, School of Family Life, Brigham Young University.

http://www.google.com/gwt/x?hl=en&u=http://foreverfamilies.byu.edu/Article.aspx%3Fa%3D11&q=Being+loving+and+nurturing.&sa=X&ei=DayrUpTRGcuShQethYGoAw&ved=0CCAQFjAA

2 Likes

Re: Being Loving And Nurturing. by texanomaly(f): 2:40am On Dec 14, 2013
Nice thread. Great advice. smiley
Re: Being Loving And Nurturing. by bellong: 11:35am On Dec 14, 2013
Good article...
Re: Being Loving And Nurturing. by sholay2011(m): 1:44pm On Dec 14, 2013
bellong: Good article...
Oga sir...how gbogbo nkan? Long time.

Nice thread @ .
Re: Being Loving And Nurturing. by bellong: 2:43pm On Dec 14, 2013
sholay2011:
Oga sir...how gbogbo nkan? Long time.

Nice thread @ .

Very fine my brother... How are you holding up?
Re: Being Loving And Nurturing. by sholay2011(m): 2:53pm On Dec 14, 2013
bellong:

Very fine my brother... How are you holding up?
I'm gud bro.

(1) (Reply)

Any Side Effect? / Lyk C'riously How Best Wuld You Be Able To Tell? / Advise Needed Urgently For The Clueles Who Wants To Move To Another Country!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.