Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,810,009 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:41 PM

How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person (26261 Views)

My Dad Gave N3m To His Boss' Wife To Buy Vehicle For Him, Now He's Dead / My Dad Cheated On My Mum Before She Died And He's Still Doing It / My Dad Wishes Me Death, Please Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by mcdokwe(m): 7:25pm On Dec 22, 2015
I was born into what I consider a street life, public compounds and all its troubles.

My hustling parents still made sure I got the best especially in education but that didn’t in any way help as I picked up the most annoying and shameful personality.

I even as a kid would keep late nights without carrying out household chores and when it becomes apparent that I couldn’t escape my parents “do good,” opt to sleep out in trucks and sheds, I would occasionally sneak in and proceed to make under the bed my beautiful foams, this habit was cultivated to mitigate the effect of the surprise floggings mum especially had this habit of using deep into the mornings when she’d flog sleep out of my eyes. By the time she’d drag me out, I’d be fully awake to bear the consequences of my sins. How I managed to stay top of my class in primary school then still escapes me as I’d play my life out on daily basis.

I would pilfer on people, unsuspecting people whose heart I easily warmed up into and would sustain my belly and as such could keep avoiding home.

Oh! God bless my mum and grant my dad eternal rest. I’d constantly make “withdrawals” from their “home banks” and with it, live large in school. And constantly devised various methods to avoid detection. My neatly wrapped note books served as conduits to hide my loots to avoid detection and when that method failed, I resorted to hiding them in shoes, pens, I’d tear up the folds of my shirts and shorts and pass the folded cash into them. God knows if I had continued like that, I would have ended up a highway robber and maybe dead by now.
I was closely marked so I no go do, but two loose seconds were more than enough for me to hit a bounty when need be. I was a nightmare to my parents and at appoint when my dad moved and left us to the care of my mum, my constant acts made my dad make up his mind to come and take him along lest I killed his darling wife with HBP.
It is totally and completely ignoble thing to do, and looking back, I wonder what prompted me into such.

While staying with my dad, he once called me and told me how I was his favorite child. Till date, I still can’t tell how and why, because apart from the consequences of being the black sheep of the family, I was often the last to get gifts as they bothered me not.

Yes, I spent more time with my dad possibly due to the close marking I needed to keep my deviant behavior in check and naturally predisposed to his kind of job, but I still didn’t and haven’t seen how I was the favorite child; but I was deeply touched. He spoke of how my act pains him more than it would have if it were to be from anyone else and it sunk, he also said I wouldn’t stop being his favourite child notwithstanding. Today, thanks to those words, I’d rather dig poo to feed than pilfer on anyone. Well, the house chores are still there but I can at least shout my younger ones into doing them.

My Dad’s words (sweet and not the curses) made me a better person that I am today.

I had hoped that he lives for me to show him how much proud I was prepared to make him but death had other plans which were stronger.

200 Likes 16 Shares

Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by amnesty7: 7:29pm On Dec 22, 2015
Good parents are the best gift a child can get. Alhamdulillah for our parents.

93 Likes 1 Share

Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by mzvyne(f): 8:59pm On Dec 22, 2015
this is a really nice story... And u were a really stubborn kid.

10 Likes

Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by damton(m): 10:10pm On Dec 22, 2015
nice

1 Like

Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by miqos02(m): 10:10pm On Dec 22, 2015
ok
Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by englishmart(m): 10:11pm On Dec 22, 2015
God bless all the good parents

53 Likes 1 Share

Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by mascot87(m): 10:11pm On Dec 22, 2015
No comment..... Hmmm
Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by allanphash7(m): 10:11pm On Dec 22, 2015
Tales by moonlight
Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by Helkayklassic(m): 10:12pm On Dec 22, 2015
ok
Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by JeffreyJamez(m): 10:13pm On Dec 22, 2015
Op wetin your pikin go take your eye see ehn!

10 Likes

Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by Ijaya123: 10:13pm On Dec 22, 2015
Thank God for your life. Hope you pass it on to your offspring.

2 Likes

Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by saint047(m): 10:13pm On Dec 22, 2015
Since the euphoric feeling of a new year has catapulted & corjouned around the globe, Im obliged to wish you an ephemeral, fantabulous & suppersatamagorgeous new year. May your x-mass be puntuated with a revanchism whose magniloquence can only be theatropistically analysed by the use of areminiscent excarbation.compliment of the Season pals

5 Likes

Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by xender(m): 10:13pm On Dec 22, 2015
lemme stop bike ere

bike!
Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by hungryboy(m): 10:13pm On Dec 22, 2015
.abeg anybody were dey plan to throw christmas party should call me make i come chop,
My number na 090419419419,
God bless you as you call

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by cayorday89(m): 10:13pm On Dec 22, 2015
God bless ur dad...

3 Likes

Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by francescainnoce(f): 10:14pm On Dec 22, 2015
Awwww!!!
Your confession is accepted and your sins ar forgiven.hahahhahahahah (joking)
OADN...@ op, I am so pleased with your testimony.
Your experience isnt rare as most children who grew up in such environment come out of those challenges in distinct ways but I'm glad you pulled through just as you have narrated and may God continually rest the soul of your dad. Amen
I tap into this testimony as a point of contact to my most favourite relative who seem to be facing those times now and he is 26 which kind of gives me worry not knowing when he will pass that stage.
You know that moment when you see his peers doing great and you give shiver wishing he would follow the likes but then who knows...
I believe God will see him through one day.
Amen

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by LewisO: 10:15pm On Dec 22, 2015
God bless your dad.

3 Likes

Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by dejavubobo1(m): 10:15pm On Dec 22, 2015
I hope u working towards becoming a great dad... BTW if ur kids starts acting up, don't flog them coz been naughty might be in d blood

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by Sasuwa(f): 10:15pm On Dec 22, 2015
doog
Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by Nobody: 10:16pm On Dec 22, 2015
Parents have a big roles to play in the life of their child and thats why they should try and dedicate their time into *talking sense* to them and advicing to make them better

1 Like

Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by ibkgab001: 10:17pm On Dec 22, 2015
life in life

1 Like

Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by Nobody: 10:19pm On Dec 22, 2015
write ups like this can make a grown nigga like me want to shed tears......... Nothing beats fatherly and motherly love.

9 Likes

Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by pweetychyka(f): 10:19pm On Dec 22, 2015
mcdokwe:

Oh! God bless my mum and grant my dad eternal rest. I’d constantly make “withdrawals” from their “home banks” and with it, live large in school. And constantly devised various methods to avoid detection. My neatly wrapped note books served as conduits to hide my loots to avoid detection and when that method failed, I resorted to hiding them in shoes, pens, I’d tear up the folds of my shirts and shorts and pass the folded cash into them.

So u would av been anoda Dasuki of d forth coming generations grin! Wat a world? grin

Well, I thank God for ur Dad of blessed memory n ur Mum for making u a more responsible human 2day! grin grin grin.....

8 Likes

Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by Nobody: 10:19pm On Dec 22, 2015
Awww
Eya.

I always maintain my parents are God's best gift to me.

Mum's hot nature to toughen you about this world.

Dad's peaceful nature to make you cherish and seek peace in this short life.

Both compliments each other.

Op, May God bless your dad and mum too.

And, to us all here, we should not forget that the power of life and death lies in our mouth.

6 Likes

Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by yungkc(m): 10:19pm On Dec 22, 2015
May GOD bless nd up lift all d caring parents.Dats how all parents should act no mata d situation of their child.Dey should bless nd pray 4 dem 2 change.

2 Likes

Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by odinese(m): 10:21pm On Dec 22, 2015
. cry cry embarassed cry

1 Like

Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by xender(m): 10:22pm On Dec 22, 2015
end time loving care

thank God 4 ur dad ..

2 Likes

Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by ril19(m): 10:23pm On Dec 22, 2015
I hope my kids won't trouble me just like i didn't trouble my parents.

#iprayo

3 Likes

Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by musicwriter(m): 10:23pm On Dec 22, 2015
@OP.
I hope to write similar story here in future. How I fought Satan to get education, how I ran a parallel curriculum in my school, and how to learn without a teacher.

It's a long story.

2 Likes

Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by princeunugwa: 10:23pm On Dec 22, 2015
U na end time child oshocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Igbo Custom On Bride Price Wicked, Evil Ungodly, Says Ondo Court / Pregnant During Wedding Or Baby Before Wedding / Kenyan Lady Exposes Maid Who Plans To Break Her Marriage To Become New Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.