Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,443 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:38 AM

When Last Did You Send An SMS? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / When Last Did You Send An SMS? (747 Views)

How To Send An Email On NL / How Do You Send Articles For Publication To Newspapers? / When Last Did You Sight A Rainbow In Nigeria And Where? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Last Did You Send An SMS? by Maximus85(m): 11:07pm On Dec 15, 2013
I could remember when sending an Sms is N15, it came down to N10, N7, N5, and now N4.

I'm sure all those major telecommunication companies go dey swear give BBM, Wechat, Nimbuzz, Whatsapp, even small 2go for this.

I feel the law of gravity is also effective on the market prices. When MTN sim is still been sold for N14,000 a friend of mine jokingly said, he won't buy one until they are selling it for "Gbanjo" in Iyana Ipaja or Oshodi. I was coming home from work one evening and I saw sim cards on the floor in Iyana Ipaja going for N100 and I remembered his words.

On a serious note now, we don't send sms anymore. But my Fiancee sent me an sms on a certain Saturday and it felt soooo good, as in we just finished our bedtime chat on BBM and Wazzzza, the text Message came in. I called her back and reassured her of my Love for her.

Things changes, we left our handwritten love letters when SMS came, now we've left our SMS' for the Chatting Apps, Soon, we are gonna leave these chat apps for something else, something new. But you can make use of the old ways to surprise your loved ones. Imagine dropping a love letter inside your lady's bag..... Its a wonderful thing.

I hope this write up make sense to you guys. It just came to my head and I just felt like sharing it with you all.

Gracias muchos Amigos!!!
Re: When Last Did You Send An SMS? by Spanishmario(m): 11:31pm On Dec 15, 2013
I sent an sms almost everyday...jst bringing bck d old tyms
Re: When Last Did You Send An SMS? by Maximus85(m): 1:23am On Dec 16, 2013
Spanishmario: I sent an sms almost everyday...jst bringing bck d old tyms

Yeah, but very few people still do.
Re: When Last Did You Send An SMS? by firestar(f): 8:26am On Dec 16, 2013
...Saturday.
Re: When Last Did You Send An SMS? by Nobody: 10:18am On Dec 16, 2013
Saturday.
True OP, people rarely send SMS now but I so love it. It doesn't matter How many times one calls me, without SMS I still feel not loved, Lol, that feeling is actually crazy.
The truth is I love the old school kind of love, writing letters and all that.
Re: When Last Did You Send An SMS? by Maximus85(m): 10:42pm On Dec 16, 2013
delightful1: Saturday.
True OP, people rarely send SMS now but I so love it. It doesn't matter How many times one calls me, without SMS I still feel not loved, Lol, that feeling is actually crazy.
The truth is I love the old school kind of love, writing letters and all that.

Wow!!! She loves the old school kinda love, love letters and so sheyyyyy?
Re: When Last Did You Send An SMS? by Nobody: 10:53pm On Dec 16, 2013
Maximus85:

Wow!!! She loves the old school kinda love, love letters and so sheyyyyy?
Exactlycheesy, I just find it more romanticgrin.
I loved (still loves) writing and receiving love letters but who got the time to write me any?
Re: When Last Did You Send An SMS? by Maximus85(m): 7:52am On Dec 18, 2013
delightful1:
Exactlycheesy, I just find it more romanticgrin.
I loved (still loves) writing and receiving love letters but who got the time to write me any?

Some romantic men still do. I still do. Its an old cliche that we need to bring back.
Re: When Last Did You Send An SMS? by Emmyk(m): 8:21am On Dec 18, 2013
I did yesterday. From the Free ones I got from Etisalat.

Sent it to someone, because I didnt see her online for some hours! cheesycheesy
Re: When Last Did You Send An SMS? by Nobody: 10:06am On Dec 18, 2013
Maximus85:

Some romantic men still do. I still do. Its an old cliche that we need to bring back.
Wow! I'm wishing I am your girl already (just jokinggrin). But seriously, I like such romantic men and Yes, we really need to bring back the love letter kind of love.
Re: When Last Did You Send An SMS? by Maximus85(m): 3:23pm On Dec 18, 2013
delightful1:
Wow! I'm wishing I am your girl already (just jokinggrin). But seriously, I like such romantic men and Yes, we really need to bring back the love letter kind of love.

Tell it to ur man in a subtle manner. It'll go into his subconscious and he'll start doing these things. #winks
Re: When Last Did You Send An SMS? by Maximus85(m): 10:19pm On Dec 21, 2013
When I was a child, I was taught to respect all elders. In those days, you don't have to know an elderly person before you show your respect by greeting them. In fact its expected of you as a child.

I grew up in a city in Kogi State, Kabba. There we have these peace loving people who won't only cook for their family alone but also for their neighbors. You see them carrying a tray on their heads sharing food. Greeting in Kabba is something that I can refer to as the core of their custom. They can greet to the extent of irritation. Something like "Okun henh, okun hun, okun hehn" they continue making that sound even when they've walked far away from you.

This custom started to change when we were started to be taught not to talk to strangers. The world started changing, customs are be swept under the carpet of civilization on the quest to ensure security for we the children. The abolishment of this custom was also based on the rate at which children are been kidnapped back then.

When I moved to Lagos, I find it extremely hard to walk pass an elderly person and not greet them. I look at them wanting to open my mouth but the kind of look I get from them was like "Do you know me somewhere?" Or "Who be this?"

So far from that expectation of the elderly back then that a child greets, these elders aren't seeing greeting as an obligation of a younger person or a child.

Recently, I greeted an elderly man that I don't know from Adam, he smiled at me, answered me so well and said "My son, do you know me?" I said "No sir" and he said "You must have been taught so well" I felt so good deep inside me.

If only this custom could be brought back.

I hope you enjoyed this piece. It'll only get better.

Next, I will be writing about the difference between the values impacted in those that grew in the villages and that of those in the cities. Till then.. Peace!!!

1 Like

Re: When Last Did You Send An SMS? by firestar(f): 10:50am On Dec 22, 2013
Greetings!
Beautiful experience Maximus. The times are changing, and sadly we armour the secret person we really are to adapt to it.
And more often than not, we draw the blinds wide enough to express courtesy, hospitality and appreciation. Fellow feeling for our people.
Re: When Last Did You Send An SMS? by Maximus85(m): 12:09pm On Dec 22, 2013
@Firestar, are you a Jehovah's Witness?
Re: When Last Did You Send An SMS? by Maximus85(m): 12:18pm On Dec 22, 2013
firestar: Greetings!
Beautiful experience Maximus. The times are changing, and sadly we armour the secret person we really are to adapt to it.
And more often than not, we draw the blinds wide enough to express courtesy, hospitality and appreciation. Fellow feeling for our people.

I started a blog. The End of the Greeting Custom
www.olusesankolajowrites..com
Check out and share your views.

(1) (Reply)

What Is Wrong With Nairaland? / .. / As A Soldier, Which Battle Would You Choose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.