Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,153 members, 7,818,492 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:14 PM

Student Invents T-shirt That's Impossible To Stain - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Student Invents T-shirt That's Impossible To Stain (21271 Views)

Ayokunle Adeniran Invents A ‘Nepaless’ Iron / Australian Inventors Create ‘hydrophobic’ T-shirt That Repels Water And Dirtthre / 18 Year Old Female Student Invents 20 Second Phone Charger (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Student Invents T-shirt That's Impossible To Stain by garnetty(m): 11:16am On Dec 18, 2013
If you're clumsy and constantly spilling food down yourself, or just lazy and don't like washing your clothes, a student has invented the answer to your problems - a T-shirt that is impossible to stain.

The tops can resist any spills and splashes including Coca-Cola, tomato ketchup, mustard, milkshakes, beer, ink and even red wine. The clothing is made from polyester, which has been infused with a combination of chemicals that make it resistant to water. Despite this, the T-shirts are said to feel ‘no different to any other items that could be found in a clothing shop.’

University student Patel from San Francisco made a prototype using a spray-on chemical, but realised it would only last for one wash. He then began looking at ways to incorporate the technology into the fabric.

He created a fabric that has the nanotechnology bonded to the fibres on a microscopic level.

This means they won't irritate the skin.

According to Patel: ‘Most liquid molecules will not be able to touch the fabric because of a microscopic layer of air that forms between the liquid and fabric.

‘This is because the fabric is layered with billions of silica particles. Water based liquids will form a 150 degree sphere and roll right off! As a result, this barrier protects your shirt from potential accidents.’

After testing his method, the business student created a page about the invention, named Silic, on crowdfunding website Kickstarter.

He has already exceeded his target of around $20,000 (£12,250), before the campaign closes on 26 January. The shirts are expected to be on sale online from May and will cost around £30. According to Patel’s Kickstarter page, there are certain steps wearers have to take to make sure the T-shirts stays waterproof.

These include not using fabric softener in a machine wash, no bleaching or washing with colours and no ironing. Patel also advises wearers not to dry clean the shirt.

To reactivate the water repellency, the T-shirt must also be put through a tumble dryer on a low heat at least once every three washes.

Patel said: ‘I started the project a year and a half ago after looking at making smart clothing.‘I wanted to try something different and I had heard about Hydrophobic spray, which is a spray that is completely water resistant.

‘I thought about putting it on a T-shirt but when I was making a prototype after a while I became very light headed and I realised it may not be safe to use.

'I also realised that if I were to put this on clothing, it would wear off after just one wash so it wouldn't be sustainable.

'To make it safe and last longer, I put the technology into the polyester of the T-shirt while it was being made on a nanoscale, molecular level.

"The T-shirts we have now are completely safe and will last for up to 80 washes, so you get around about two year’s worth of wear out of it.'
(Culled from www.dailymail.co.uk)

How credible and sustainable is this invention?. Yet it could a stunning innovation of all time. Your comments....!!

1 Like

Re: Student Invents T-shirt That's Impossible To Stain by Presbulg(m): 11:32am On Dec 18, 2013
Cool.
Re: Student Invents T-shirt That's Impossible To Stain by dayo4(m): 11:36am On Dec 18, 2013
very interesting, so let's wait till it's commercially available.
Re: Student Invents T-shirt That's Impossible To Stain by garnetty(m): 11:42am On Dec 18, 2013
dayo4: very interesting, so let's wait to know when it will be commercially available

The shirts would be on sale online beginning from May, 2014.
Re: Student Invents T-shirt That's Impossible To Stain by Presbulg(m): 12:52pm On Dec 18, 2013
Make una do trousers follow join cheesy
Re: Student Invents T-shirt That's Impossible To Stain by garnetty(m): 1:03pm On Dec 18, 2013
Presbulg: Make una do trousers follow join cheesy

This is like an in-road into making comprehensive stainless clothing. Hope it succeeds.
Re: Student Invents T-shirt That's Impossible To Stain by dayo4(m): 1:38pm On Dec 18, 2013
garnetty:

The shirts would be on sale online beginning from May, 2014.
yeah saw it
Re: Student Invents T-shirt That's Impossible To Stain by Nobody: 11:39pm On Dec 18, 2013
interesting
Re: Student Invents T-shirt That's Impossible To Stain by phetty(m): 9:06pm On Dec 19, 2013
Appealing invention !!! Does it repel non-water based stains too
Re: Student Invents T-shirt That's Impossible To Stain by Nobody: 10:53pm On Dec 19, 2013
phetty: Appealing invention !!! Does it repel non-water based stains too
I guess it does.

END TIME SHIRT grin

5 Likes

Re: Student Invents T-shirt That's Impossible To Stain by garnetty(m): 11:15am On Dec 20, 2013
kolawaxxy: I guess it does.

END TIME SHIRT grin

Anything new is end time things!......smh
Re: Student Invents T-shirt That's Impossible To Stain by Prowizy2(m): 2:02pm On Dec 20, 2013
Shirt for imbeciles
Re: Student Invents T-shirt That's Impossible To Stain by andyibu3(m): 2:02pm On Dec 20, 2013
Not new technology, but he's smart to have incorporated into clothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5L_vPkorBU
Re: Student Invents T-shirt That's Impossible To Stain by kambili999(f): 2:02pm On Dec 20, 2013
hmmmm...

1 Like

Re: Student Invents T-shirt That's Impossible To Stain by missterious(f): 2:04pm On Dec 20, 2013
I need this embarassed
Re: Student Invents T-shirt That's Impossible To Stain by Nobody: 2:04pm On Dec 20, 2013
Re: Student Invents T-shirt That's Impossible To Stain by 360command: 2:04pm On Dec 20, 2013
Odechi T-shirt

2 Likes

Re: Student Invents T-shirt That's Impossible To Stain by XVIER(m): 2:05pm On Dec 20, 2013
@3rd pics what is inside the container is red after pouring its green#i smell photoshop#representing badbelle

1 Like

Re: Student Invents T-shirt That's Impossible To Stain by Richy4(m): 2:05pm On Dec 20, 2013
The Mechanics will be interested if engine oil has no power over it
Re: Student Invents T-shirt That's Impossible To Stain by XVIER(m): 2:06pm On Dec 20, 2013
i smell fake even nylon get stain
Re: Student Invents T-shirt That's Impossible To Stain by Nobody: 2:06pm On Dec 20, 2013
Stain proof ke. If agbero wear this shirt e go change from white to yellow in less than two hours grin

4 Likes

Re: Student Invents T-shirt That's Impossible To Stain by calibet(m): 2:06pm On Dec 20, 2013
i will buy it for my girl friends to avoid stains during menstruation lol hahahahaha.

Re: Student Invents T-shirt That's Impossible To Stain by Nobody: 2:06pm On Dec 20, 2013
cool
Re: Student Invents T-shirt That's Impossible To Stain by Nobody: 2:07pm On Dec 20, 2013
I don't think these people know what is called stain! *brings ink* oya, where is that T-shirt?? undecided

1 Like

Re: Student Invents T-shirt That's Impossible To Stain by Nobody: 2:07pm On Dec 20, 2013
garnetty:

Anything new is end time things!......smh
End time comment grin grin
Re: Student Invents T-shirt That's Impossible To Stain by tellwisdom: 2:07pm On Dec 20, 2013
Rubbish undecided...if e dey resist liquid substance, na sand I go use wash am?

2 Likes

Re: Student Invents T-shirt That's Impossible To Stain by Fresia01(f): 2:08pm On Dec 20, 2013
Wit dis cloth, i can lick ma pine apple, cashew fruit and eat ma white yam wit red oil comfortably wit no fearz! Bring it on boys
Re: Student Invents T-shirt That's Impossible To Stain by LMAyedun(m): 2:08pm On Dec 20, 2013
Great invention!
Re: Student Invents T-shirt That's Impossible To Stain by redcliff: 2:08pm On Dec 20, 2013
[size=14pt]make i touch better iya basira palm oyel stew for that shirt first. the boy go enter him research lab back[/size]

6 Likes

Re: Student Invents T-shirt That's Impossible To Stain by Nobody: 2:08pm On Dec 20, 2013
Bad market for regular shirts. Smh
Re: Student Invents T-shirt That's Impossible To Stain by Nobody: 2:09pm On Dec 20, 2013
Re: Student Invents T-shirt That's Impossible To Stain by omniwater007: 2:10pm On Dec 20, 2013
I can now spend less on bleach and detergent. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FGN Invites Recent 1st Class Graduates In Sciences And Engineering To TYSON / The New BBM Android For Samsung Pocket GT-S5300. / How Much Does It Cost Per Kg Shipping Through Dhl?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.