Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,602 members, 7,809,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:49 AM

Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital (12853 Views)

Face Of Adam Lanza Connecticut Elementary School Gunman / Gunman Kills 27 Including Children At An Elementary School / French Military Jet Opens Fire In Libya. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by Nobody: 11:43am On Dec 18, 2013
A suicidal gunman opened fire at a Reno hospital campus Tuesday, killing one person, wounding two others and sending police on a door-to-door search within the facility amid the chaos.

The Nevada Department of Public Safety said the wounded victims were in surgery and one of them is a doctor. The gunman killed himself after the shooting.

Reno Deputy Police Chief Tom Robinson didn't say how many shots were fired or what type of weapon was used, and didn't release the identities of the male shooter or the dead and injured. He said, however, that investigators were confident no one else was involved.

"They are in the middle of a crime scene," Robinson said of the two bodies still on the third floor of a four-story medical building. "We're in the middle of an investigation and we don't want to compromise that by rushing up to identify them."

Department of Public Safety spokeswoman Gail Powell said the wounded doctor is a woman but she had no more information about the shooting that happened at the Center for Advanced Medicine.

Robinson said there were about 100 people in the building when the shooting was reported at 2:05 p.m. Officers entered three to five minutes later and did "a systematic search, floor to floor, room to room," Robinson said.

"On the third floor of the building they located two people down and located two people injured and evacuated the injured parties," he said.

Renown Regional Medical Center was put on lockdown amid the chaos of the shooting as law enforcement rushed to the scene and victims were treated by doctors on the hospital campus. More than three dozen police cars, including SWAT team vehicles, surrounded the sprawling medical complex and closed off a three-block area near downtown Reno.

State Sen. Debbie Smith said she was at Renown for an appointment and was trying to leave a nearby building when the shooting occurred.

"I encountered some SWAT team guys, they said nobody was leaving," she said. "A police officer was at the door and said I couldn't go out there."

Renown Regional Medical Center posted a notice on its website less than two hours after the shooting saying that operations had returned to normal at the main hospital but police were still investigating the shooting. About two dozen witnesses were taken to police headquarters for interviews."The biggest piece right now is we are trying desperately to reach the next of kin," Robinson said.

Gov. Brian Sandoval said on Twitter that he and his staff were monitoring the situation and his thoughts and prayers were with those affected by the tragedy.

Renown Regional Medical Center is the largest hospital in northern Nevada. It has played an important role in responding to several recent tragedies in northern Nevada, including a crash at a Reno air race in 2011 that killed 11 people and a rampage at a Carson City restaurant the same year that killed three uniformed Nevada National Guard members.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/17/reno-shooting-nevada-renown-medical-center_n_4462213.html?utm_hp_ref=crime
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by econome(m): 11:45am On Dec 18, 2013
Where's the safe place on earth?
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by Afam4eva(m): 11:46am On Dec 18, 2013
America needs to open more mental hospitals.

6 Likes

Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by pickabeau1: 11:47am On Dec 18, 2013
no be yankee?

Just last week, a mad son shot a girl in the head pointblank in a colorado high school
yet the bloody sheriffs do not want to enforce the state law on gun checks;

Na today

1 Like

Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by Nobody: 11:48am On Dec 18, 2013
Afam4eva: America needs to open more mental hospitals.

True. More funds and attention needs to be spent on mental health. This "deranged gunman" syndrome is only a ticking tie bomb.
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by Nobody: 11:49am On Dec 18, 2013
pickabeau1: no be yankee?

Just last week, a mad son shot a girl in the head pointblank in a colorado high school
yet the bloody sheriffs do not want to enforce the state law on gun checks;

Na today

Yeah, that story was indeed a tragic one. The girl was about to write her exams that day.
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by pickabeau1: 11:56am On Dec 18, 2013
CFCfan:

Yeah, that story was indeed a tragic one. The girl was about to write her exams that day.
Bros... no bey yankee

Just recently a guy was killed in a jersey mall because f the landrover he was driving....

See stats below since 14 Dec 2012 of gun deaths in US

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/crime/2012/12/gun_death_tally_every_american_gun_death_since_newtown_sandy_hook_shooting.html

Using the most recent CDC estimates for yearly deaths by guns in the United States, it is likely that as of today, 12/18/2013, roughly 33,772 people have died from guns in the U.S. since the Newtown shootings. Compare that number to the number of deaths reported in the news in our interactive below, and you can see how undertold the story of gun violence in America actually is.

That makes it an average of 92 deaths daily since Adam Lanza's shooting
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by Nobody: 11:59am On Dec 18, 2013
^^
shocked shocked
Over 37,000 people killed senselessly?!

It's over to the States now to enact some form of gun-control laws.

1 Like

Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by pickabeau1: 12:49pm On Dec 18, 2013
CFCfan: ^^
shocked shocked

dude,,., are u communist... thats the 2nd amendment right there
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by Nobody: 1:00pm On Dec 18, 2013
pickabeau1:

dude,,., are u communist... thats the 2nd amendment right there

I'm definitely not a Communist. I support the 2nd Amendment, but there is no where in the world where there is absolute freedom.
All I'm saying is that criminal background checks (including mental), should be done on all prospective gun buyers.
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by pickabeau1: 1:02pm On Dec 18, 2013
CFCfan:

I'm definitely not a Communist. I support the 2nd Amendment, but there is no where in the world where there is absolute freedom.
All I'm saying is that criminal background checks (including mental), should be done on all prospective gun buyers.

i know u are not communist grin grin
Its just the way they view gun control advocates
Its actually a common sense approach but see how they wanted to deport piers morgan
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by Nobody: 1:04pm On Dec 18, 2013
pickabeau1:

i know u are not communist grin grin
Its just the way they view gun control advocates
Its actually a common sense approach but see how they wanted to deport piers morgan

The Piers Morgan deportaion saga was an unfortunate episode in the debate. Those psychos surely do not represent the views of the majority of American gun owners.
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by pickabeau1: 1:11pm On Dec 18, 2013
CFCfan:

The Piers Morgan deportaion saga was an unfortunate episode in the debate. Those psychos surely do not represent the views of the majority of American gun owners.

bro.. thats where u miss it... see what is happening in Colorado
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2524473/Colorado-sheriffs-refusing-enforce-states-new-strict-gun-legislation.html

All but seven of Colorado's 62-elected sheriff's are refusing to enforce a law they have sworn to uphold by failing to enact universal background checks and a ban on ammunition magazines that hold more than 15 rounds.

Despite failing last month in their bid to sue the state over the new firearm restrictions as unconstitutional, Sheriff's such as John Cooke of Weld County have taken the unprecedented step to ignore the laws - calling them too vague and a violation of Second Amendment rights.

Despite their introduction in the wake of mass shootings in Newtown, and Colorado's own massacres at Aurora and Columbine in 1999, Cooke and 55 other sheriff's have designated the new laws 'very low priority'.

Read this article to get more insights

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2013/07/big_sandy_machine_gun_shoot_arizona_s_gun_lovers_and_gun_control.html
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by Nobody: 1:13pm On Dec 18, 2013
^^
Interesting. I bet the NRA is behind those moves by the Sheriffs. Background checks are commonsensical approach to the problem.

Anyway, na dem sabi.
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by pickabeau1: 1:15pm On Dec 18, 2013
i pray we are safe from the psychos that prowl by noonday

Now i dey fear ur country... only online shopping.. i no dey waka anyhow
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by Mamacita007(f): 3:08pm On Dec 18, 2013
na wa. hospitals are gun-free zones but the reason they cant install metal detectors is becos of emergency situations. my hospital has no metal detector or even cops on every floor. no protection at all. thats not safe for staff & patients
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by Jayses(m): 5:07pm On Dec 18, 2013
J
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by Lilimax(f): 5:07pm On Dec 18, 2013
Even in America sad?
No where is safe....
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by ednut1(m): 5:12pm On Dec 18, 2013
lunatic
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by PopeXanderVII: 5:14pm On Dec 18, 2013
Afam4eva: America needs to open more mental hospitals.

I agree totally. It's not about gun laws, it's about mental health. Obama is merely concentrating on the effect rather than on the Cause. You can't tackle a problem by trying to solve the effect, something has to be done about the cause.
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by free2ryhme: 5:14pm On Dec 18, 2013
econome: Where's the safe place on earth?

GraveyaRd grin
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by free2ryhme: 5:16pm On Dec 18, 2013
Na so so shooting foR america erfry time dem no dey tire

Afam u don Reach here
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by Occurstaem(m): 5:18pm On Dec 18, 2013
OMG!!!
R.I.P to the deads
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by Occurstaem(m): 5:18pm On Dec 18, 2013
OMG!!!
R.I.P to the deceased.
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by Greaaat: 5:18pm On Dec 18, 2013
And they'll say GOD BLESS AMERICA
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by aventura: 5:19pm On Dec 18, 2013
LAND OF Psychos

1 Like

Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by Tsmooth1(m): 5:19pm On Dec 18, 2013
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by Coldfeet(f): 5:21pm On Dec 18, 2013
Na wa o! Hospital kwa?
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by moscobabs(m): 5:22pm On Dec 18, 2013
Seun pls tell Antispambot to um-ban me ooo,I dont know why she banned me.on Business section.most of these MODs need training,dont even know the criteria u used to appoint them.
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by raheema4u(f): 5:23pm On Dec 18, 2013
Just add a muslim name to him and he become a terrorist. Now that he is not a muslim, he is being refer to as gun man. SMH

5 Likes

Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by Nobody: 5:24pm On Dec 18, 2013
CFCfan: ^^
shocked shocked

Most likely worse in Nigeria
They keep statistics here,Nigerians don't
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by Nobody: 5:24pm On Dec 18, 2013
raheema4u: Just add a muslim name to him and he become a terrorist. Now that he is not a muslim, he is being refer to as gun man. SMH

[size=18pt]Muslims kill and shout allahu Akbar and tell us the reason they kill is Islam and in obedience to allah[/size]
You guys simply don't get it do you?
He didn't do it for religious reasons,not a religious duty ,no promise of virgins with large bosoms and regenerating hymens unlike his allahu akhbar shouting counterparts
Huge difference

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

UN General Assembly Rebukes US Embargo On Cuba / Senegal Election Results: Opposition's Diomaye Faye Leads Race For Presidency / Pakistan Condemns Attack By Iran, And Says It Killed 2 Children And Wounded 3.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.