Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,648 members, 7,809,445 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:44 AM

Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital (12854 Views)

Face Of Adam Lanza Connecticut Elementary School Gunman / Gunman Kills 27 Including Children At An Elementary School / French Military Jet Opens Fire In Libya. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by moderatorr: 8:47am On Dec 19, 2013
people shoot people because they have guns.
Disarm the populace.
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by Nobody: 11:09am On Dec 19, 2013
" Guns dont kill people, people kill people "

2 Likes

Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by idriskhalid: 3:31pm On Dec 19, 2013
Nawao america wit diff drone
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by semmypat: 6:39pm On Dec 19, 2013
blakky97:

I wasn't expecting a thread like this to catch the interest of an iiiddiiot. like you

Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ find it very hard τ̅☺ accept †ђξ truth, that d reason Fø̲̣̣я̅ ur reaction. S̶̲̥̅Ơ̴̴̴̴̴̴͡ harsh and Ȋ̝̊̅§ known τ̅☺ that religon. Ndo
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by niyitogun(m): 2:40am On Dec 20, 2013
pickabeau1:

How can gun of ownership be a fundamental right

It is Sir, under the 2nd amendment of the US constitution. (I see it as a right to self defense). Here is some fact you can look at.

The Second Amendment Argument
The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution, adopted on December 15, 1791, states "A well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed".
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by pickabeau1: 6:16am On Dec 20, 2013
I know....it was a rhetorical q

Making gun ownership fundamental is the bane of logic and good judgement

More will die...
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by pickabeau1: 1:25pm On Dec 20, 2013
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by niyitogun(m): 5:02am On Dec 21, 2013
pickabeau1: I know....it was a rhetorical q

Making gun ownership fundamental is the bane of logic and good judgement

More will die...

On the contrary it has reduced a lot more violent crimes and buglaries in more states. I know this might sound odd but research and data has shown this- since the second amendment violent crime rates has significantly reduced. But you seem to miss my point, gun control is not about banning guns, it is about what type of ammunition should a civilian be able to carry as well as whether they are allowed to carry them openly or concealed. There are incidents that have happened of mass shootings where automatic weapons like Ak 47s, AR 15s were used and caused a lot of casualties hence my support for "gun control" (which doesn't mean banning people from owning guns).....more crimes have and lives have been saved by law abiding civilians with their guns but this usually don't get headlines in the media because it's not bad news. You can read my previous post where i explained how this works. So please note i am an advocate for gun control contrary to what you think.
niyitogun:

On the contrary it has reduced a lot more violent crimes and buglaries in more states. I know this might sound odd but research and data has shown this- since the second amendment violent crime rates has significantly reduced. But you seem to miss my point, gun control is not about banning guns, it is about what type of ammunition should a civilian be able to carry as well as whether they are allowed to carry them openly or concealed. There are incidents that have happened of mass shootings where automatic weapons like Ak 47s, AR 15s were used and caused a lot of casualties hence my support for "gun control" (which doesn't mean banning people from owning guns).....more crimes have and lives have been saved by law abiding civilians with their guns but this usually don't get headlines in the media because it's not bad news. You can read my previous post where i explained how this works. So please note i am an advocate for gun control contrary to what you think but i am not an advocate for disarming a nation. I have shared a link here for people who believe in facts and statistics.

http://www.infowars.com/18-little-known-gun-facts-that-prove-that-guns-make-us-safer/
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by niyitogun(m): 6:48am On Dec 21, 2013
niyitogun:

I do not see it this way. I think the issue here is about civil rights and the right to defend yourself by carrying a gun if need be. Government cannot just disarm people to deny them rights of self defense but i believe they can however put tighter controls on the kind of weapons being issued (not issuing automated weapons like the AR 15's capable of disseminating hundreds of bullets in a minute) and running mental assessment before guns are sold to qualified civilians (those without criminal records). I believe assess to "controlled firearms" reduces crime - think about it this way, if you are walking down the street or in your house, a robber would think twice before trying to attack you, steal from you or break into your home as he's is not sure whether you also have a gun but when people are denied complete access to firearms then the criminals who get them illegally anyways get a free arm to perpetrate their evil deeds. Just my point of view.
Most people that argue against control of automated weapons by limiting it's access only to law enforcement argue on the premise that police are to protect you but are not liable if they don't and you get robbed/shot(you cannot sue them) and it would take them a few minutes to get down when they are called, so why put civilians at a disadvantage by not having a chance to fight back if the criminal faces one with an automated weapon as a regular pistol has little chance to defend you against such a machine and the police who have them are not on the scene immediately at the onset of the incidence. While this may have it's fact the truth remains it might cause more harm than good if it falls into a wrong hand like the movie theater shooting at Michigan(I think).
It is also true the government generates a lot of revenue from firearm tax and money is also involved however this is not the most important factor in the debate but civil rights is.
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by pickabeau1: 9:45am On Dec 21, 2013
Dude I don't get you....

Where in my post did u see advocacy for banning of firearms

You better calm down... U r coming off like a NRA spokesman

What does a hunter need a semi automatic for
What's wrong in carrying out background checks before u sell certain types of guns
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by Nobody: 9:47am On Dec 21, 2013
NRA tinz
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by niyitogun(m): 5:21pm On Dec 21, 2013
pickabeau1: Dude I don't get you....

What's wrong in carrying out background checks before u sell certain types of guns

Again you have taken me out of context. We both just said the same thing. You can read my post again.
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by texanomaly(f): 6:07pm On Dec 21, 2013
CFCfan:

I'm definitely not a Communist. I support the 2nd Amendment, but there is no where in the world where there is absolute freedom.
All I'm saying is that criminal background checks (including mental), should be done on all prospective gun buyers.

I agree with all but the bolded. It falls under HIPAA. (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) Among other things, this Act protects the security and privacy of health data. This includes mental health.
The problem with freedom, is that it is never free. In order to protect the rights of some, we must step on the rights of others. Where do we draw the line? Who decides? I am a strong supporter of the 2nd Amendment. I also support criminal background checks. Protecting the public can be a slippery slope to traverse, however. If medical information is open to scrutiny, what is to stop individuals from discriminating against us because of potential health issues? I know, I know…Should we sell guns to a ‘crazy person’? Where does it end though? Where do we draw the line between us, and ‘big brother’. Catch 22 don catch me.
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by pickabeau1: 6:20pm On Dec 21, 2013
OK...no problem then
niyitogun:

Again you have taken me out of context. We both just said the same thing. You can read my post again.
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by Nobody: 8:30am On Dec 26, 2013
pickabeau1: Dude I don't get you....

I have a right to buy any weapons I want. The constitution did not specify what type. In fact I can argue that a well armed militia requires a full automatic with extra capacity more today than before
texanomaly:

I agree with all but the bolded. It falls under HIPAA. (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) Among other things, this Act protects the security and privacy of health data. This includes mental health.
The problem with freedom, is that it is never free. In order to protect the rights of some, we must step on the rights of others. Where do we draw the line? Who decides? I am a strong supporter of the 2nd Amendment. I also support criminal background checks. Protecting the public can be a slippery slope to traverse, however. If medical information is open to scrutiny, what is to stop individuals from discriminating against us because of potential health issues? I know, I know…Should we sell guns to a ‘crazy person’? Where does it end though? Where do we draw the line between us, and ‘big brother’. Catch 22 don catch me.

HIPAA can be waived for the greater good of the population and it should.
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by pickabeau1: 10:07am On Dec 26, 2013
Somorin#1:

I have a right to buy any weapons I want. The constitution did not specify what type. In fact I can argue that a well armed militia requires a full automatic with extra capacity more today than before.

ok... you are free afterall its a free world... people not guns right?
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by texanomaly(f): 6:53pm On Dec 26, 2013
Somorin#1:

I have a right to buy any weapons I want. The constitution did not specify what type. In fact I can argue that a well armed militia requires a full automatic with extra capacity more today than before.

But where does it end? Who decides where the greater good ends, and where infringement of rights begins? This is a slippery slope we are treading. We must be careful. This could set a dangerous precedent, that could have far reaching consequences.
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by Nobody: 12:01am On Dec 28, 2013
pickabeau1:

ok... you are free afterall its a free world... people not guns right?

Sorry I am not sure what you mean.
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by Nobody: 12:03am On Dec 28, 2013
texanomaly:

But where does it end? Who decides where the greater good ends, and where infringement of rights begins? This is a slippery slope we are treading. We must be careful. This could set a dangerous precedent, that could have far reaching consequences.

Where have you been? That slippery slope is a full fledged avalanche now with NSA.

Privacy, as we know it in the USA, is now gone completely.

As far as HIPPA. Won't you rather have your local CDC warn you that the family next door has contagious tuberculosis? I know I would.
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by pickabeau1: 12:10am On Dec 28, 2013
Somorin#1:

Sorry I am not sure what you mean.
My post was.....
As they say people not guns kill people...
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by texanomaly(f): 12:12am On Dec 28, 2013
Somorin#1:

Where have you been? That slippery slope is a full fledged avalanche now with NSA.

Privacy, as we know it in the USA, is now gone completely.

As far as HIPPA. Won't you rather have your local CDC warn you that the family next door has contagious tuberculosis? I know I would.

I believe there is a stipulation in the statute for that eventuality.
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by Nobody: 12:43am On Dec 28, 2013
texanomaly:

I believe there is a stipulation in the statute for that eventuality.

Yes there is and that's why I said no privacy when it comes to a greater good of the populace.
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by Nobody: 12:44am On Dec 28, 2013
pickabeau1:
My post was.....
As they say people not guns kill people...

I see.

I agree with that sentiment. If not gun, a crazed person can also find a stick, knife, screwdriver, etc to further his bent ambition.
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by texanomaly(f): 1:14am On Dec 28, 2013
Somorin#1:

I see.

I agree with that sentiment. If not gun, a crazed person can also find a stick, knife, screwdriver, etc to further his bent ambition.

yup
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by pickabeau1: 6:53am On Dec 28, 2013
Somorin#1:

I see.

However I don't
There needs be some form of gun control...
It will only get worse
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by texanomaly(f): 6:56am On Dec 28, 2013
pickabeau1:

However I don't
There needs be some form of gun control...
It will only get worse

I agree that there should be. It is just a tough subject. Especially where I come from.
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by pickabeau1: 7:00am On Dec 28, 2013
texanomaly:

I agree that there should be. It is just a tough subject. Especially where I come from.

In Switzerland which shares similar sentiments to The states there is a measure of control.

It's not perfect

http://world.time.com/2012/12/20/the-swiss-difference-a-gun-culture-that-works/

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21379912
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by texanomaly(f): 9:02am On Dec 28, 2013
pickabeau1:

In Switzerland which shares similar sentiments to The states there is a measure of control.

It's not perfect

http://world.time.com/2012/12/20/the-swiss-difference-a-gun-culture-that-works/

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21379912

Cool. Thanks for the links.
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by Nobody: 5:34pm On Dec 28, 2013
Switzerland is far from a USA.

Different constitution, different gun culture.

I chose to go back and understand the formation of these United States, once I did that I was able to understand a lot of going ons.

The US cannot really be compared to most countries. It makes for a good read to combat boredom though.

I leave you with this titbit, go up and read about the early settlers, the Indian natives, the prohibition, the streets of chicago during al capone, etc. Maybe then you'll understand american gun culture.
Re: Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital by pickabeau1: 7:06am On Dec 29, 2013
I still dont get u though
Wats ur take then....the current situation is ok?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

UN General Assembly Rebukes US Embargo On Cuba / Senegal Election Results: Opposition's Diomaye Faye Leads Race For Presidency / Pakistan Condemns Attack By Iran, And Says It Killed 2 Children And Wounded 3.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.