Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,640 members, 7,820,242 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:02 PM

U.S. Embassy Abuja New Procedure For Drop Box Renewals - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Embassy Abuja New Procedure For Drop Box Renewals (65488 Views)

Your Most Embarrassing Moment At The US Embassy, Abuja/Lagos / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / My Experience At The American Embassy Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Embassy Abuja New Procedure For Drop Box Renewals by Shinatu: 10:29am On Dec 21, 2013
This will bring so much relief to people staying outside Lagos and Abuja, planning a 2/3 days' trip to go renew your visa is such a big waste of manhours.

I had thought that these foreign embassies would do this (for renewals) once we started using the e-passport.
Re: U.S. Embassy Abuja New Procedure For Drop Box Renewals by tzetzefly(m): 11:36am On Dec 21, 2013
joxiri:
All my previous us visas have been issued in the uk and the last one issued in the uk hasn't expired for more than a year
I just wonder if I would be able to use this system as I now live in nigeria

Yes, you will still be able to. As long as you're applying for the same category of visa...
Re: U.S. Embassy Abuja New Procedure For Drop Box Renewals by joxiri: 12:36pm On Dec 21, 2013
@tzetzefly yea it is a b1/b2 visa issued in london not up to 12 month since expiry
Also does one submit the passport on its own or with supporting documentation because it is not mentioned in the publication
Re: U.S. Embassy Abuja New Procedure For Drop Box Renewals by tzetzefly(m): 2:08pm On Dec 21, 2013
joxiri:

@tzetzefly yea it is a b1/b2 visa issued in london not up to 12 month since expiry
Also does one submit the passport on its own or with supporting documentation because it is not mentioned in the publication

It is mentioned right there on the publication, check again.
Re: U.S. Embassy Abuja New Procedure For Drop Box Renewals by joxiri: 12:56am On Dec 22, 2013
@ tzetzefly
Pl what does it say exactly as I can't be certain or am looking in the wrong place
Re: U.S. Embassy Abuja New Procedure For Drop Box Renewals by tzetzefly(m): 2:59am On Dec 22, 2013
joxiri: @ tzetzefly
Pl what does it say exactly as I can't be certain or am looking in the wrong place

Your question is answered here:
https://nigeria.usembassy.gov/mobile/niv_dropbox.html
Re: U.S. Embassy Abuja New Procedure For Drop Box Renewals by georgetree1: 11:19pm On Dec 28, 2013
looks cool, anything to avoid the hustle of long queues is welcome grin
Re: U.S. Embassy Abuja New Procedure For Drop Box Renewals by meggy11: 3:52pm On Jul 15, 2014
Why is it called drop box, when u have to still travel down to abuja/lagos to drop ur documents.
Re: U.S. Embassy Abuja New Procedure For Drop Box Renewals by femofiboy(m): 9:03am On Jul 18, 2014
Plz nairalanders i nid ur help all....a frnd of mine dad dat lives abroad was processin his son visa and wat next for his son is to go apply 4 his international passport here in lag bt d problem nw is dat they said he cant b granted unless his father can provide all dis: International passport,letter of consent ,1 picture,1 passport, national id card...and his father havent obtain his greencard so wat wil he do bcoz if he cumz bck 2 nigeria witout obtainin his greencard, he wil have start al ova again weneva he want 2 go bck?....i nid ur urgent response nairalanders plz coz is makin my frnd 2 gt worried...plz i awaits ur urgent respnses plz. Tanx
Re: U.S. Embassy Abuja New Procedure For Drop Box Renewals by LUCAS99: 8:34pm On Jul 25, 2014
tzetzefly:

Your question is answered here:
https://nigeria.usembassy.gov/mobile/niv_dropbox.html
Dear tzetzefly I'm a Nigerian living abroad please do I have to be physically present in Nigeria inorder to renew my F-1 Student visa through the Dropbox Renewal Service program or can I ask my sibling or friend to drop off the application confirmation sheet, passport photos, visa fee receipt, and appropriate forms to one of the DHL facilities in Abuja or Lagos.And when the visa is ready my sibling or sister can collect the passport with the visa attached on my behalf and mail it back to me in the United States.
Re: U.S. Embassy Abuja New Procedure For Drop Box Renewals by tzetzefly(m): 1:02am On Jul 26, 2014
LUCAS99: Dear tzetzefly I'm a Nigerian living abroad please do I have to be physically present in Nigeria inorder to renew my F-1 Student visa through the Dropbox Renewal Service program or can I ask my sibling or friend to drop off the application confirmation sheet, passport photos, visa fee receipt, and appropriate forms to one of the DHL facilities in Abuja or Lagos.And when the visa is ready my sibling or sister can collect the passport with the visa attached on my behalf and mail it back to me in the United States.

You must be physically present, no dropbox procedure by proxy.
Re: U.S. Embassy Abuja New Procedure For Drop Box Renewals by Daresh(f): 1:07am On Aug 07, 2014
tzetzefly:

You must be physically present, no dropbox procedure by proxy.

I renewed my fathers B1/B2 visa. He didnt even know I had his passport sef.
Re: U.S. Embassy Abuja New Procedure For Drop Box Renewals by tzetzefly(m): 6:46am On Aug 07, 2014
Daresh:

cry.... Ok
Re: U.S. Embassy Abuja New Procedure For Drop Box Renewals by LUCAS99: 5:29pm On Aug 07, 2014
Daresh:

Are you saying that I can renew my F-1 Student Visa without being physically present in Nigeria?
Re: U.S. Embassy Abuja New Procedure For Drop Box Renewals by Daresh(f): 8:43pm On Aug 07, 2014
LUCAS99: Are you saying that I can renew my F-1 Student Visa without being physically present in Nigeria?

Is your passport in Nigeria?

If it is and the embassy wont require you to come in for an interview then yes you can.
Re: U.S. Embassy Abuja New Procedure For Drop Box Renewals by ayobj: 11:37pm On Aug 07, 2014
My US visa is expiring next month.
I wish to reapply with my wife whose visa also expires same day.
My 3 children have never been to the USA and will also need visas too.
I read that they can apply through the drop box process too even in their first time.
They are minors.my first daughter is 11 years old.

Please enlighten me how do we arrange it.
Thanks
Re: U.S. Embassy Abuja New Procedure For Drop Box Renewals by joxiri: 2:57pm On Aug 14, 2014
Please can someone confirm
With this drop box is all you need to do just fill the form online pay and drop just your passport at the embassy for renewal
Or do you also need to attach supporting documents like bank statements and others
Re: U.S. Embassy Abuja New Procedure For Drop Box Renewals by meggy11: 12:21am On Aug 15, 2014
joxiri:
Please can someone confirm
With this drop box is all you need to do just fill the form online pay and drop just your passport at the embassy for renewal
Or do you also need to attach supporting documents like bank statements and others

U need to schedule appointment. That's where they will ask u some questions and requirements. I sent my docs thru someone and I included bank statements, payslips etc but they were all rejected and only my passport and d required confirmation letters were taken. I will advise u do same.let them be d ones to reject them.
Re: U.S. Embassy Abuja New Procedure For Drop Box Renewals by joxiri: 1:04am On Aug 15, 2014
meggy11:

U need to schedule appointment. That's where they will ask u some questions and requirements. I sent my docs thru someone and I included bank statements, payslips etc but they were all rejected and only my passport and d required confirmation letters were taken. I will advise u do same.let them be d ones to reject them.

So when they rejected the documents was the visa approved,
So basically you just drop your passport and the confirmation letter and then they will decide if you should come for an interview or not, am I right in assuming this?
Re: U.S. Embassy Abuja New Procedure For Drop Box Renewals by meggy11: 6:10am On Aug 15, 2014
joxiri:

So when they rejected the documents was the visa approved,
So basically you just drop your passport and the confirmation letter and then they will decide if you should come for an interview or not, am I right in assuming this?

Yes, according to d website they will decide if you should come for an interview or not. In my own case, I wasn't called for an interview. Yes it was issued and u can know from by checking ur status online even before u get ur passport. As I stated earlier, someone dropped my docs for me and those were d only docs they picked from mine according to what I was told so my advise is to take any supporting docs with u. No harm in bringing them back if not needed.
Hope this helped?
Re: U.S. Embassy Abuja New Procedure For Drop Box Renewals by charly4tex(m): 2:46pm On Sep 16, 2014
point of correction from above post, the consulate do not reject document, they authenticate your claim from your document which will enable you to secure a visa after which they return it, that's why is tagged supporting document. We offer such service to ease ur burden.
Re: U.S. Embassy Abuja New Procedure For Drop Box Renewals by VisaOfficer: 11:05am On Jan 07, 2015
LUCAS99:
Are you saying that I can renew my F-1 Student Visa without being physically present in Nigeria?

Daresh:

Is your passport in Nigeria?

If it is and the embassy wont require you to come in for an interview then yes you can.

I have to interject here. You must be physically present in the country in which you are applying for a visa. I am aghast that anyone would think it's okay to apply for a visa if you're not in the same country. If it turns out that we need to speak with you, and you're not in the country where your passport is, you'll be stranded and in big trouble.

Sorry to interrupt but this just came up at https://www.nairaland.com/1792591/u.s-immigration-questions-ask-u.s and I'm trying to prevent anyone else from doing such an incredibly foolish thing.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Embassy Abuja New Procedure For Drop Box Renewals by VisaOfficer: 1:23pm On Jan 07, 2015
Daresh:

I'd just like to point out that this means that you assumed your father's identity and basically lied to the U.S. Government. Please don't do this again.
Re: U.S. Embassy Abuja New Procedure For Drop Box Renewals by sohya: 6:23am On Jan 23, 2015
can anyone tell me how and where to print the renewal letter for my application?
Re: U.S. Embassy Abuja New Procedure For Drop Box Renewals by tzetzefly(m): 7:15pm On Jan 23, 2015
sohya:
can anyone tell me how and where to print the renewal letter for my application?

Applicants who satisfy these criteria: http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/mobile//niv_dropbox.html

should follow the visa application instructions on the U.S. Embassy Nigeria website at: https://nigeria.usembassy.gov/mobile//niv_appointmnent_instructions.html

The CGI visa appointment website will ask applicants a series of questions reflecting the criteria for the DHL Drop Box Visa Renewal Program. Qualifying applicants will be prompted to print a letter confirming their eligibility for the program and instructing them to drop off the letter with their passport, application confirmation sheet, passport photos, visa fee receipt, and appropriate forms to one of the DHL facilities in Abuja or Lagos. The application packets are adjudicated and returned to the applicant’s selected DHL location within 7-10 business days.

Please note that participation in this program does not guarantee visa issuance. Additionally, the consular section may request applicants to attend a visa interview in certain cases, despite having submitted their application through the Drop Box program.
Re: U.S. Embassy Abuja New Procedure For Drop Box Renewals by Daresh(f): 11:14pm On Jan 30, 2015
VisaOfficer:

I'd just like to point out that this means that you assumed your father's identity and basically lied to the U.S. Government. Please don't do this again.

Thank you for your advice, I won't do that again. But I would point out that my dad was very ill, had a stroke and wasn't even sure of where he put his passport. He did however permit me to reapply on his behalf and i indicated that the form had been filled by someone else.
Re: U.S. Embassy Abuja New Procedure For Drop Box Renewals by next4life(m): 7:59pm On Feb 05, 2015
VisaOfficer, justwise, @ all, please advise me. I have a B1/B2 visa that will expire this month (February 2015) while my passport will expire in August 2015 also. I want to renew the visa using the drop box as I intend travelling in April and come back by June 2015.
I saw somewhere that a passport must be valid for at least 6 months after you intend to return from your trip before visa can be issued on the passport. My problem now is that the passport office refused to renew the passport on the ground that I still have more than 6 months left and the pages has not been exhausted yet but will the embassy renew my visa on this passport in view of the expiry date and when I intend to come back?
Re: U.S. Embassy Abuja New Procedure For Drop Box Renewals by Anewdawn: 8:31pm On Feb 05, 2015
next4life:
VisaOfficer, justwise, @ all, please advise me. I have a B1/B2 visa that will expire this month (February 2015) while my passport will expire in August 2015 also. I want to renew the visa using the drop box as I intend travelling in April and come back by June 2015.
I saw somewhere that a passport must be valid for at least 6 months after you intend to return from your trip before visa can be issued on the passport. My problem now is that the passport office refused to renew the passport on the ground that I still have more than 6 months left and the pages has not been exhausted yet but will the embassy renew my visa on this passport in view of the expiry date and when I intend to come back?

Yes your visa will be renewed. Just go right ahead and submit ur passport for renewal using d drop box. Hopefully,u shld get ur visa btw 7-10 working days. Even if u don't get a mail saying ur visa is ready as at wen due, go and check @ dhl ofix.
Hope I answered ur question?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! / Cotonou, Benin Republic / Top 5 Beaches In Lagos (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.