Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,586 members, 7,823,537 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:30 AM

Video: Gulma Tactical UAV (nigeria's First Indigenous Drone) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Video: Gulma Tactical UAV (nigeria's First Indigenous Drone) (3604 Views)

Nigeria's First Indigenous Drone (being Build And Launched) / Boko Haram Tracker: Nigeria's First Indigenous Drone In Flight / Boko Haram Tracker: Nigeria’s First Indigenous Drone In Flight (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Video: Gulma Tactical UAV (nigeria's First Indigenous Drone) by Nobody: 5:48pm On Dec 19, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq_Xqa3Wg-8

They've provided "BAD BELLES" with a video grin

5 Likes

Re: Video: Gulma Tactical UAV (nigeria's First Indigenous Drone) by Nobody: 5:52pm On Dec 19, 2013
Another variant of the drone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX1L_AxHXXw
Re: Video: Gulma Tactical UAV (nigeria's First Indigenous Drone) by KiKatanga: 5:55pm On Dec 19, 2013
Good start!
Re: Video: Gulma Tactical UAV (nigeria's First Indigenous Drone) by Nobody: 6:06pm On Dec 19, 2013
^ awesome start

1 Like

Re: Video: Gulma Tactical UAV (nigeria's First Indigenous Drone) by Pangea: 6:41pm On Dec 19, 2013
How much did this hobbyist drone cost?
hope its not another 100billion? grin

2 Likes

Re: Video: Gulma Tactical UAV (nigeria's First Indigenous Drone) by mankand(m): 7:11pm On Dec 19, 2013
All bunch of jokes. Is this the best thing you goons can come up with after spending billions for the elephant project
Re: Video: Gulma Tactical UAV (nigeria's First Indigenous Drone) by Igbanibo: 7:19pm On Dec 19, 2013
What happened to AMEBO?
Re: Video: Gulma Tactical UAV (nigeria's First Indigenous Drone) by Nobody: 7:25pm On Dec 19, 2013
Igbanibo: What happened to AMEBO?
gulma means gossip in hausa language

1 Like

Re: Video: Gulma Tactical UAV (nigeria's First Indigenous Drone) by OmoTier1(m): 7:25pm On Dec 19, 2013
Hehe... UAV with a vespa motorcycle engine shocked If only we do not blow our ego and fix our eyes to improving things until we gain absolute mastery. Unfortunately they can't afford people like us to give them a next generation technology UAV cool
Re: Video: Gulma Tactical UAV (nigeria's First Indigenous Drone) by Nobody: 7:26pm On Dec 19, 2013
Omo_Tier1: Hehe... UAV with a vespa motorcycle engine shocked If only we do not blow our ego and fix our eyes to improving things until we gain absolute mastery. Unfortunately they can't afford people like us to give them a next generation technology UAV cool
you prolly need to check some isreali drones on YouTube.. asss licker!

2 Likes

Re: Video: Gulma Tactical UAV (nigeria's First Indigenous Drone) by automaticcars: 7:35pm On Dec 19, 2013
scipher: you prolly need to check some isreali drones on YouTube.. asss licker!

Below is what we know as drone; not the toy you are all rejoicing around for....

Watch the video and compare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDOUxtPkm5Q

3 Likes

Re: Video: Gulma Tactical UAV (nigeria's First Indigenous Drone) by Nobody: 7:38pm On Dec 19, 2013
Freaking toy, not impressed.

Hamas and Hezbollah have better drones than that.

I doubt that scrap-metal can travel beyond 1km.

Coupled with flying at a very low altitude, an AK should be able to shoot that down with ease.

Just keep that toy in naija. grin grin grin

The sound as well is hysterical...more like a bumbling bee. grin grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Video: Gulma Tactical UAV (nigeria's First Indigenous Drone) by automaticcars: 7:39pm On Dec 19, 2013
shymexx: Freaking toy, not impressed.

Hamas and Hezbollah have better drones than that.

I doubt that scrap-metal can travel beyond 1km.

Coupled with flying at a very low altitude, an AK should be able to shoot that down with ease.

Just keep that toy in naija. grin grin grin

Just keep the toy within the military base.
Re: Video: Gulma Tactical UAV (nigeria's First Indigenous Drone) by Nobody: 7:41pm On Dec 19, 2013
automaticcars:

Lmao...military base? A drunk soldier might shoot it down for the fun of it, with the way naija soldiers love dancing azonto and shooting in the air for no reason. grin That would amount to wasting the scrap-metal. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Video: Gulma Tactical UAV (nigeria's First Indigenous Drone) by agbameta: 7:43pm On Dec 19, 2013
automaticcars:

This got me rolling...lmao
Re: Video: Gulma Tactical UAV (nigeria's First Indigenous Drone) by KiKatanga: 7:51pm On Dec 19, 2013
automaticcars:

Below is what we know as drone; not the toy you are all rejoicing around for....

Watch the video and compare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDOUxtPkm5Q

The Israeli drone is a real drone, but then it's built by a nation that can count and whose military is funded to the tune of $3.6Bn per annum by the US.

That said the idea of anything designed and built in Nigeria has to be some source of hope, because Nigeria's intellectual void is something which will continue to leave it destitute and fighting with itself if it is not quickly addressed.

Nigeria and Israel have the same sized economies... even though The population of Israel is less than that of Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: Video: Gulma Tactical UAV (nigeria's First Indigenous Drone) by Pangea: 7:58pm On Dec 19, 2013
scipher:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq_Xqa3Wg-8

They've provided "BAD BELLES" with a video grin

Can it see anything?
I see no camera anywhere!

1 Like

Re: Video: Gulma Tactical UAV (nigeria's First Indigenous Drone) by automaticcars: 8:03pm On Dec 19, 2013
Pangea:

Can it see anything?

They forgot to attach a camera to it. Camera is the reason they fly the drone to see things where normally human can go to investigate.
Re: Video: Gulma Tactical UAV (nigeria's First Indigenous Drone) by KiKatanga: 8:03pm On Dec 19, 2013
Pangea:

Can it see anything?

There's a GoPro mounted on the horizontal Stabiliser.
Re: Video: Gulma Tactical UAV (nigeria's First Indigenous Drone) by automaticcars: 8:04pm On Dec 19, 2013
Ki-Katanga:

The Israeli drone is a real drone, but then it's built by a nation that can count and whose military is funded to the tune of $3.6Bn per annum by the US.

That said the idea of anything designed and built in Nigeria has to be some source of hope, because Nigeria's intellectual void is something which will continue to leave it destitute and fighting with itself if it is not quickly addressed.

Nigeria and Israel have the same sized economies... even though The population of Israel is less than that of Lagos.

I am glad you admitted here the Nigerian one is a fake drone while the Israeli drone is the real deal. That clears things up.....

1 Like

Re: Video: Gulma Tactical UAV (nigeria's First Indigenous Drone) by KiKatanga: 8:06pm On Dec 19, 2013
automaticcars:

I am glad you admitted here the Nigerian one is a fake drone while the Israeli drone is the real deal. That clears things up.....

It's not fake, just not very good.

But it's also the first. With work it might or could get better. But that requires education, research and a lack of corruption none of which are very likely.

1 Like

Re: Video: Gulma Tactical UAV (nigeria's First Indigenous Drone) by Nobody: 8:11pm On Dec 19, 2013
automaticcars:

before your father settled down (before and after bachelorhood) he has not created a 'hand fan' in his life, let alone, commission any project.. once they start mass production of that drone, I'll personally buy an armed version to kill your entire family lineage.

3 Likes

Re: Video: Gulma Tactical UAV (nigeria's First Indigenous Drone) by KiKatanga: 8:12pm On Dec 19, 2013
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/12/jonathan-unveils-nigerian-made-drone/

A whole article about it.

There's one line that makes me sick:

GEJ: “Apart from their commitment to the protection of our sovereignty, they are helping to keep our nation ahead in military science and technology and to keep their civilian counterparts on their toes.”

Exactly who is Nigeria ahead of? Somalia and the DRC? Big woop. Nigeria trails the world, yet it grandstands instead of just working away.
Re: Video: Gulma Tactical UAV (nigeria's First Indigenous Drone) by Jakumo(m): 8:18pm On Dec 19, 2013
This is a good start. The flight was obviously a short range test of the basic flight controls, with no video downlink installed yet.
Nigerian airforce would do well to look into the use of battery-powered drones, since they are much quieter than the internal combustion engine powering the craft in the above video. The design of Lithium Polymer (Lipo) batteries has advanced in leaps and bounds over the past five years or so, and it is now possible to launch battery-powered aircraft that can stay aloft for an hour or more, and cover up to ten miles round-trip on a single battery charge. With gyro-stabilized camera gymbals now commonplace on hobbyist-level radio controlled aircraft, a very stable, high resolution video capability can be added to the these birds at a comparatively affordable cost.

Now that the airworthiness of this craft has been proven in tests, it is time for the Nigerian Airforce engineers to work on the design of a mobile UAV ground-station, built into an all-terrain vehicle, whereby the drone pilot sits in front of a flat-screen display, and flies the aircraft either in semi-automonous mode with a programmable auto-pilot system, or by manually "hand flying", with replicas of the standard controls used in real aircraft, namely the flight yoke, rudder pedals and throttle levers.

All told this is a worthwhile, cost cutting program that will empower the Nigerian Airforce with that all important "eye in the sky", at a fraction of the cost entailed in deploying a full-sized manned aircraft for aerial surveillance sorties.

2 Likes

Re: Video: Gulma Tactical UAV (nigeria's First Indigenous Drone) by automaticcars: 8:18pm On Dec 19, 2013
scipher: before your father settled down (before and after bachelorhood) he has not created a 'hand fan' in his life, let alone, commission any project.. once they start mass production of that drone, I'll personally buy an armed version to kill your entire family lineage.

To hell with your father, mother, sisters, brothers, cousins, born and unborn generation. Go and die omo y.ibo.
Re: Video: Gulma Tactical UAV (nigeria's First Indigenous Drone) by KiKatanga: 8:37pm On Dec 19, 2013
Jakumo:
Nigerian airforce would do well to ... SNIP ... for aerial surveillance sorties.

You made a bit of a leap. Moving to a battery system (assuming availability of funds) is simple enough, but you casually started talking autonomy which is, frankly, another game altogether.
Re: Video: Gulma Tactical UAV (nigeria's First Indigenous Drone) by taharqa: 8:55pm On Dec 19, 2013
The IJIOTS who yterday were saying that d UAV was not operational and could not fly, are now changing their blacken minds after seeing d UAV working: they are now showing us Pics of Isreali Weapon drone and asking us to compare, as if they didn't just read that d drone in question is a Surveillance drone and that whilst Isreal hv had yearssssss in d technology, Nigeria is just STARTING..... Una nova see anytin yet. Nigeria wud keep growing unda GEJ, and una Frustrations go surely cause una severe heart attack. Shameless, Pathetic HATERS

5 Likes

Re: Video: Gulma Tactical UAV (nigeria's First Indigenous Drone) by KiKatanga: 1:42am On Dec 20, 2013
taharqa: The IJIOTS who yterday were saying that d UAV was not operational and could not fly, are now changing their blacken minds after seeing d UAC working: they are now showing us Pics of Isreali Weapon drone and asking us to compare, as if they didn't just read that d drone in question is a Surveillance drone and that Isreal that hv had yearssssss in d technology, Nigeria is just STARTING..... Una nova see anytin yet. Nigeria wud keep growing unda GEJ, and una Frustrations go surely cause una severe heart attack. Shameless HATERS

I think I agree with you, but I can't understand a word you've written.
Re: Video: Gulma Tactical UAV (nigeria's First Indigenous Drone) by Nobody: 3:40am On Dec 20, 2013
Ki-Katanga:

I think I agree with you, but I can't understand a word you've written.
You cant understand a bit of what he wrote, yet u agreed wit him? what are u saying

2 Likes

Re: Video: Gulma Tactical UAV (nigeria's First Indigenous Drone) by Nobody: 3:50am On Dec 20, 2013
I quite appreciate dis work of nigeria, its a very good start! I thnk we have to invent the wheel in drone technology as nobody will be ready to transfer d tech to another nation, but the questions are: can we now move on from here?, how fast can we change the face and features of this first start?
But why must the thing be named in Hausa? everybody, irrespective of tribe knows what AMEBO means, but who, apart from the hausa speakers,7 kno the meaning of GULMA?
Re: Video: Gulma Tactical UAV (nigeria's First Indigenous Drone) by Jakumo(m): 5:03am On Dec 20, 2013
Ki-Katanga:

You made a bit of a leap. Moving to a battery system (assuming availability of funds) is simple enough, but you casually started talking autonomy which is, frankly, another game altogether.

Hello Ktanga, it may interest you to hear that lightweight autopilot modules are already commercially available off-the-shelf for RC aircraft. One of the most advanced versions on the market is capable of flying your bird with NO control inputs from the pilot, such that the aircraft follows up to 100 user-defined sequential GPS waypoints located along a flight path, in a simplified version of the Flight Management Computer installed in multi-million dollar commercial airliners. Full airliner-style auto-land capability is also a feature offered with this autopilot system, along with the capability to interrupt the flight path and circle above any of the waypoints at a user-defined altitude above the ground. This system hit the market just last month, and is available for immediate shipment to buyers as we speak.

The autopilot to which I refer above currently costs just $1,000 USD per module, which is a trivial amount to pay for an entity with deep pockets like the Nigerian government. On my personal surveillance RC plane, I use a far cheaper GPS autopilot, that costs $160 per unit, and is capable of following just 4 waypoints, which is adequate for my short-range purposes.

Initially, during its baby steps, Nigeria's drone program can take advantage of the breath-taking advances in hobbyist-grade electronics, propulsion and auto-flight technology, at least at the start of the program, while the engineers cut their teeth on this exciting new field of inexpensive remote controlled flight.
Re: Video: Gulma Tactical UAV (nigeria's First Indigenous Drone) by Pangea: 6:17am On Dec 20, 2013
Jakumo:

Hello Ktanga, it may interest you to hear that lightweight autopilot modules are already commercially available off-the-shelf for RC aircraft. One of the most advanced versions on the market is capable of flying your bird with NO control inputs from the pilot, such that the aircraft follows up to 100 user-defined sequential GPS waypoints located along a flight path, in a simplified version of the Flight Management Computer installed in multi-million dollar commercial airliners. Full airliner-style auto-land capability is also a feature offered with this autopilot system, along with the capability to interrupt the flight path and circle above any of the waypoints at a user-defined altitude above the ground. This system hit the market just last month, and is available for immediate shipment to buyers as we speak.

The autopilot to which I refer above currently costs just $1,000 USD per module, which is a trivial amount to pay for an entity with deep pockets like the Nigerian government. On my personal surveillance RC plane, I use a far cheaper GPS autopilot, that costs $160 per unit, and is capable of following just 4 waypoints, which is adequate for my short-range purposes.

Initially, during its baby steps, Nigeria's drone program can take advantage of the breath-taking advances in hobbyist-grade electronics, propulsion and auto-flight technology, at least at the start of the program, while the engineers cut their teeth on this exciting new field of inexpensive remote controlled flight.

That is common sense right there?
I expect to see something better than what the Op showed us since its the president that commissioned it, i know outrageous amount would have been awarded for the project, why not go the whole hog and get a better kit?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Where's Buhari ? / Stampede' At PDP Secretariat As Anyaso Submits Nomination Form With Big Cow(pics / Shehu Shagari: What Nigeria Will Miss About Late Ex-president – Secondus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.