Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,395 members, 7,815,851 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:27 PM

THE TAPESTRY: A Short Story Of Love And Self Forgiveness - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / THE TAPESTRY: A Short Story Of Love And Self Forgiveness (532 Views)

The Last Wolf Series : The Forgotten Mate (December 2015 Story of the Month) / To Love And Leave. (story Series) / Love Story Of A Unilag Babe And Bus Conductor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

THE TAPESTRY: A Short Story Of Love And Self Forgiveness by sirhamilton(m): 12:20am On Dec 20, 2013
THE TAPESTRY
At first I thought I wouldn't survive it, for eighteen years of marriage to the same man was no folktale. But this was no ordinary man but a man worth my love each passing momentous day. I vividly remember my first encounter with his name. It was a cold harmattan evening.
"One Mr Jeremiah came looking for you", my counsellor said. "He says you're the one, the one the lord spoke to him about". I stared back blankfaced, my heart racing as doubt clouded my reasoning. "Me Ma? "I do not understand". "What does he want me for"? She smiled, a mischievious grin gracing her dovely face. "Look around", she said. "This is the office of the marriage counsellor, what more would he want from you than to be joined with him in holy matrimony"? I frowned. "Certainly not me Ma". "I'm sure he's got the wrong person". She smiled. This time devoid of her grin. "Get to meet him first", she said. "Pray then we'll hear what God has to say"... I nodded in agreement doubt etched all over my face. Standing up, I straightened my blouse and agreed to a talk with this unknown man.
That beautiful Wednesday evening as he came to my abode for our arranged date, though my memory was slowly regressing, I still remembered how he looked... Bold, fearless, with an aura of masculinity. And when he spoke, he reminded me more of the streams I had visited as a child. Sweet, serene, still. We talked over hours and soon I had come to realise that the marriage would be like my first college degree; a failure.
What's the matter?, my counsellor inquired. "Why are you insisting that he isn't the one"? I looked at her, painful lines creasing my face. How would she understand? How would anyone? I begun to cry. Softly at first, then loudly, shattering my apparent decorum. She soon saw my plight as she stood, crossing the room over to the bench where I was seated. "What's eating you up, dear one"?,she questioned. "What's the devil holding up against you"? "Would you like to share with me"? ........."He's too good for me"!, I wailed. "He's Godfearing, I'm not". "He's never been involved in any sexual experience but I have and the product of that sin still haunts me for I have a Son"! "Am sorry ma", I continued, "but he's too good for me". Silence echoed the room as she looked at me. Not with an accusing eye but with the eye of a mother. Then she held my hands clasping them with all the strength she could muster. "I'm married to the Reverend", she begun, and every single day I bless the lord for giving me such an amazing husband, lover and father to my children". "We both share the same story dear", she quipped on. "And though I had no Son, I was damaged too". "Series of abortions, alcohol, the fast life"! I looked at her, struck and bewildered. "Yes! she affirmed, confirming my doubts. "I was never the church girl, but despite all I was involved in, my flaws and imperfections have been mirrored through the eyes of my husband and christ has used him to chiesel me into the beautiful sculpture you now see standing beside you". I began to sob, stifling back tears. Putting her hands on my shoulder, she muttered calmly, "Marry him! "Marry this man! "Marry Jeremiah!, for he loves you the way christ loves the church. Holding her stare as much as I could, I replied amidst sobs; "I'l marry him". And I did....
Eighteen years running since I took my vows and with my little son as the page boy that day, I am very glad to have forgiven myself and to have embraced an impeccable future with christ. Blessed with four more children, I bless God each day for his mercy. For indeed and truely, my pristine, beautiful tapestry though once shredded had finally through the love of christ radiating through a wonderful man, been sewn back together into a respledent shape...
-By O.N

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

I Had A Dream! / How To Kidnap Part 1 / HISTORY SET TO BE MADE IN OAU

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.