Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,254 members, 7,818,875 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:02 AM

Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria (36722 Views)

Igbos In Spain Attend Their Village Meeting In Native Attires (Photo) / Igala Language In Anambra State. / What Is English Name For "obokun" Fish (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria by tpia5: 3:39am On Nov 26, 2011
english is the official language, not the native one.

many if not most nigerians still cant speak english anyway so what's the problem.

dont be fooled by the few educated ones who do.
Re: Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria by Rebe: 7:53pm On Aug 20, 2013
English is not our official language like almost everyone has stated, however, for the purpose of international job applications for admissions into Universities outside Nigeria, it is most times wise to state that you are a native English language speaker as English is the language of instruction for all our educational qualification from elementary to tertiary. I hope this helps.

1 Like

Re: Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria by MamiWata: 3:21am On Aug 21, 2013
Rebe: English is not our official language like almost everyone has stated, however, for the purpose of international job applications for admissions into Universities outside Nigeria, it is most times wise to state that you are a native English language speaker as English is the language of instruction for all our educational qualification from elementary to tertiary.

Doing that only continues to mislead people who are already woefully ignorant of Africans. I think it is preferable to assert that you speak English with native fluency. Otherwise ignorant foreigners continue to think that Africa is a country and our indigenous cultures are nonexistent or too petty to mention.
Re: Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria by daisyella: 6:01am On Aug 22, 2013
Lolzz I thot this topic was silly until I saw people agreeing dat English is our native language. Ask urself what does native mean?
Abeg English is our lingua franca or official language like someone put it but we have igbo, hausa, yoruba, ijaw, efik, etc as native languages
Re: Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria by Veebliz(m): 9:54am On Oct 18, 2019
So, I've just commented on a 13-year-old post.

English is my native language, and I'm a Nigerian.

So, English is part of our native languages. wink

I hope this is helpful.
Re: Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria by nlPoster: 1:53pm On Oct 18, 2019
Veebliz:
So, I've just commented on a 13-year-old post.

Yes, you did.

English is my native language, and I'm a Nigerian.

Well, you know your reasons for saying that, but English is the official language, not a native one. Pidgin English is native perhaps.
Re: Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria by Veebliz(m): 5:39pm On Oct 18, 2019
nairalandposter:

Yes, you did.

The correct thing to say here is: "Yes, you have", what you wrote would work if I wrote: "I commented on...."

nairalandposter:

Well, you know your reasons for saying that, but English is the official language, not a native one. Pidgin English is native perhaps.

Maybe Pidgin English is your native tongue or maybe some Nigerian indigenous language, I don't know. � But generally, Pidgin English is definitely not a native Nigerian language.

Nigerians who speak the English language as their first language are native English speakers...which makes English part of Nigeria's native languages not just the official.

If you don't agree with this fact, please do your research. wink
Re: Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria by nlPoster: 11:43pm On Oct 18, 2019
Veebliz:

Maybe Pidgin English is your native tongue or maybe some Nigerian indigenous language, I don't know. � But generally, Pidgin English is definitely not a native Nigerian language.

Nigerians who speak the English language as their first language are native English speakers...which makes English part of Nigeria's native languages not just the official.

If you don't agree with this fact, please do your research. wink

How could you say pidgin English is not native Nigerian but English itself is?

Are you joking?

Anyway, English speaking Nigerians are not native speakers, perhaps you mean Nigerians for whom English is their first language? Trying to understand your point.

In the African context, native refers to indigenes associated with a country, so using the term native speaker in reference to Nigerian speakers of English, isn't the same connotation as what you're inferring. You still have to quantify and explain your meaning.
Re: Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria by Veebliz(m): 9:47pm On Oct 19, 2019
nairalandposter:

How could you say pidgin English is not native Nigerian but English itself is?

Are you joking?

Anyway, English speaking Nigerians are not native speakers, perhaps you mean Nigerians for whom English is their first language? Trying to understand your point.

In the African context, native refers to indigenes associated with a country, so using the term native speaker in reference to Nigerian speakers of English, isn't the same connotation as what you're inferring. You still have to quantify and explain your meaning.

Exactly, I was referring to Nigerians whose first language is English, plus I wasn't joking, being a Nigerian doesn't mean you can't speak English as your native language regardless of the cultural setting.

I recommend you look up what "native speaker" means.

African context, or whatever I'm still trying to get your point.

Basically, the point you've made is more like saying that Americans, Australians...e.t.c. aren't native English speakers.

Re: Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria by nlPoster: 2:15am On Oct 20, 2019
The context is implied depending on where you're referencing, but I get what you mean.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Difference Between Customary Law Marriage And Statutory Marriage. / 10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive / Enugu Community Where Green Snakes Are Kings, Queens, Battle Men Of God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.