Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,791 members, 7,820,777 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:25 PM

Never Pay To Publish Your Books - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Never Pay To Publish Your Books (1318 Views)

How To Publish Your Books To The Amazon Kindle Store(Step By Step Tutorial) / How Do You Get To Publish Your Work? / I Want To Publish A Book (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Never Pay To Publish Your Books by Orikinla(m): 9:33pm On Jun 19, 2006
Avoid the Vanity Press.

Don't pay to publish your book. Except you want to print your book.
Re: Never Pay To Publish Your Books by nwadinma(f): 7:10pm On Jun 26, 2006
thanks you so much ORINKILA. i know your advice comes from a good heart but what do i do?
recently a friend took me to a published proffessor in literature , he(proff) adviced i publish my works(3 from the 9 i have writen )with them for starters. He said i have to pay for prooff reading and editting.Actuallty it is the amount he mentioned that kept me away.

can i get more infor from you as to y i shouldn`t?
Re: Never Pay To Publish Your Books by Orikinla(m): 1:25pm On Jun 27, 2006
Nwadinma,
Please, let me know the following:

1. The genre of your literature.
2. Your resume and
3. When you want to release your books.
Re: Never Pay To Publish Your Books by Seun(m): 1:36pm On Jul 17, 2006
Orikinla, please don't lure people away from the forum.

I think the first question is this: why do you want to publish the book in the first place? If all you're interested in is getting people to read your work, then you should just post it on the Internet. Problem solved.
Re: Never Pay To Publish Your Books by nwadinma(f): 2:46pm On Jul 17, 2006
yes i want people to read me work, i also want them to pay for it.
by the way, the genre is sci/fi and romance.
Re: Never Pay To Publish Your Books by Seun(m): 3:40pm On Jul 17, 2006
For people to pay to read your story, it has to be really good. The only way for you to know how good it is is to show it to strangers and watch their behaviour. Example: www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-17390.0.html
Re: Never Pay To Publish Your Books by Orikinla(m): 10:56pm On Jul 19, 2006
Okay Seun.

May I ask Nwandinma, to find a way to send her manuscripts to Karen King-Aribisala of the Department of English, University of Lagos. Because, she can help to evaluate your literature.

I write. But I stopped posting my prose online, except my poems.
I have only posted two shorts stories, Daughter of a Beggar and Love Song. But they were only the extracts of the stories.
http://www.radiopalmwine.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=48&highlight=

You can simply post some samples.
That's all.
Re: Never Pay To Publish Your Books by nwadinma(f): 10:29am On Aug 04, 2006
orinkinla,
do i post my resume to this site or do i send it personally to you?
the genre of my work is scientific -fictions and fantasy.
my manuscript is ready for pulication.
Re: Never Pay To Publish Your Books by Orikinla(m): 11:26am On Aug 04, 2006
Why contact e-mail address is available through my blog http://kissesandroses..com and shown in my profile.
Re: Never Pay To Publish Your Books by Seun(m): 1:11pm On Aug 04, 2006
Professional critics are over-rated. Do you know that Ayn Rand's books were scored low by critics because of their length, clumsiness and black and white morality and still ended up as best-sellers? Post the first chapter under fiction and if people like it, you can self-publishing and retain 100% of the sales profit!
Re: Never Pay To Publish Your Books by Polando: 11:41pm On Feb 16, 2010
There's so much talk about Vanity Publishing and Self-Publishing these days.

If one has a good manuscript, and wants to self-publish, do we need to pay for editing and proofreading services too?

(1) (Reply)

?????????????????? / Ways To Learn English Better / Just Talk And Let Your Computer Type For You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.