Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,603 members, 7,840,436 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 04:33 AM

Harshest Laws In The World - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Harshest Laws In The World (890 Views)

EL-RUFAI NEW LAWS : In Kaduna You Cannot Preach Without License. / El-rufai New Laws In Kaduna / Atiku Abubakar’s American In-laws Arrive Nigeria For Wedding In Yola. See Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Harshest Laws In The World by naijasofamerica(f): 8:44pm On Dec 21, 2013
Last year, California voters amended the state’s “Three Strike Law,” which had required an automatic 25-year prison sentence for anyone

convicted of three felonies. Advocates of the change said the severity of the crimes should be taken into account before sentencing. But

there are other laws around the world that make “Three Strikes” look tame in comparison. In 1994, the country of Singapore made

headlines when they caned a 19 year-old American who had been found guilty of vandalism. But far more serious an offense is drug

possession. Having 17 ounces or more of marijuana in Singapore can carry a punishment of death by hanging. Drug possession carries

equally strict penalties in other countries, too. In Saudi Arabia, drug traffickers can be publicly beheaded. And in Vietnam, drug convicts are

sent to a rehabilitation center that, in reality, is a forced hard labor camp. There are also strict laws out there for crimes much less serious

than drug dealing. In North Korea, trying to leave the country without permission could result in life imprisonment at labor camp for you,

your children, and grandchildren. In India, cheating on an academic exam in school can land you in jail for 10 years. And in Dubai, a British

couple learned the hard way that kissing in public can be considered indecent exposure. They were sentenced to one month in jail in 2010

for their public display of affection.Maybe the British couple’s next trip should be to California, where at least you get three strikes before

you’re out.
Re: Harshest Laws In The World by isacolukay(m): 11:01pm On Dec 30, 2013
Babe, ur topic has close to 100 views and not even a comment! I would have called The Guinness World Record team, but I don already comment. grin
Re: Harshest Laws In The World by naijasofamerica(f): 1:48am On Dec 31, 2013
isacolukay: Babe, ur topic has close to 100 views and not even a comment! I would have called The Guinness World Record team, but I don already comment. grin
At least you commented... Happy New Year wink
Re: Harshest Laws In The World by isacolukay(m): 4:18am On Dec 31, 2013
naijasofamerica: At least you commented... Happy New Year wink

Thanx baaaby!

(1) (Reply)

House Of Reps Member In $.1m Aviation Bribery Scandal / APC Petitions Security Over Defacing Of Aregbesola’s Billboards / 'killing People Is My Hobby’: Confession Of Nyanya Bombing Mastermind

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.